z

Young Writers Society

Legacy chapter five part two

209 Reviews

Reviews: 209
Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:08 am
artemis15sc says...

And that is how I found myself spending the entire afternoon in his Majesty's company. We went everywhere; the gallery the arena, the bowling alley. He'd been surprised that I had never done virtual bowling before, and insisted I had to now as it was an essential part of my childhood experience.
Eventually we had ended up in front of our favorite Megaplex, sipping coffee and laughing at the ridiculously extravagant outfits some of the other occupants wore.
Well, we weren't laughing so much as trying not to snort into our drinks while trying not to laugh. It wouldn't be very unprince-like for Nathaniel to laugh at his subjects, or to laugh in such an out of control manner in public at all. People walked by in full body purple jumpsuits with blue ruffles jutting out in completely random places, wearing hats that made it look like there was a peacock on top of their heads.
And those were the normal ones.

Perhaps it was a little immature, but some of these outfits were simply hilarious. And honestly, I think my sanity had gone just a little off into the deep end. It was more fun acting like a child anyway.
We talked too, that is, after we got over our childish behavior. I hadn't been able to talk to anyone like this in a long time, and it felt good. The longer we talked, the more comfortable I became, until talking became almost as effortless as breathing. He asked me about my relationship my Imogen.
"It's weird" I started. "She like, my best friend, but she also kind of motherly too, she looks after me." He nodded.
"I've noticed.” His mouth twitched slight “so how about…”
"It's more than that though." I continued, interrupting. I was finding this very difficult to explain, but I wanted him to understand.
"It's like, she's a part of me; like we’re two halves of the same person. I mean, she always knows what I'm thinking or can sense when I'm feeling distressed or hiding something. And I always know what mood's she's in and what she wants to do without her saying it and what her sarcastic remarks mean, even when other people don't." I thought he might be bored after my little spheel, but he looked very intrigued.
"I've always known that you guys were close, ever since we were little.” WE smiled briefly as we remembered those glorious days of our childhood.
"How about Melina?" He inquired. "I mean, I've never really since you guys interact that much..."
I grimaced. I would have thought he would have picked up on this by now, but discussing Melina with him was a major don't do in our relationship.
At least, I guess this is what you would call a relationship. We certainly had made progress, but I think I was more confused about where we stood than I had been before.
But we talked about that. We talked about us. He admitted he'd missed our close friendship as much as I had, and was eager to continue rejuvenating it after tonight. We talked about our past, our plans for the future. A slightly awkward topic as his future was already laid out for him, being the heir to the throne and all. We brushed over politics, but as this was often the topic of conversation during his visits with my sisters and mother, it didn't last long. He carefully steered the conversation away from the rebellion, Jason, or New Hope any time it threatened to head in that direction; for which I was eternally grateful. For Hours we talked, until the sun had long since retired. It would be time for us to return home soon, but not before a leisurely stroll down the only secluded pedestrian walkway in the entire city.
Our day had started at the park, so I suppose it was fitting it should end there.
“Thank you,” I said, as we walked to the car. “Today was...amazing.” He looked at me warmly. “I’m glad you liked it.”
“Prince Nathaniel” I started, but he interrupted. “Nate,” he said, “I want you to call me Nate, it’s more personal.”
“Nate.” I repeated, loving how it sounded in my mouth.
"I just wanted to say that you we’re right, I wasn’t emotionally ready to deal with what happened yesterday.” He cringed, but nodded. “I was still trying to deal with the news, With N-new Hope” I choked up. A…And the…chil…dren..." My choking turned into a gasping sob. I couldn't finish my sentence. I should have known this euphoria wouldn’t last. Everything I had forgotten about was back, but tenfold. The tears came, but this time I didn’t try to stop them.
“Hey” he soothed, pulling me gently into his arms. I laid my head on his chest, finally free of the mask I’d hid behind. I knew I was staining his shirt, but he didn’t care. He just held me. And I let it go. I let him in on my heart, my grief. After a while my tears dried, I breathed again. I didn’t try to pull away, however. I felt...safe, in his arms; like I was finally free of the world’s destructive grasp. Gradually my pain faded, until all I felt was warm, peaceful, and complete.
I lifted up my hands I placed them next to my face, on his chest. He pulled me closer, and I felt his lips in my hair. I sighed, but contented this time. It was a while before I broke our embrace.
“That kiss” I whispered as I gazed into those ocean blue eyes. I traced my fingers across his cheekbone. “I liked it too.” It didn’t take him long to pick up on my hint. He grabbed my fingers with one hand and placed his other hand on my cheek, his lips met mine again, and I lost myself in the warmth and passion of their touch. It was fire, it was bliss, and in my opinion; it’s what every almost first-kiss should feel like.

I watched his Blaze craft soar away. I couldn't believe it had only been twenty-four hours ago that I'd been sitting on my bench, with no idea of how to cope. I still felt drained, and my mourning was still there, hovering at the back of my mind like a dark storm cloud preparing to roll in...
Only now I had my sun to keep it at bay.

I floated up the stairs letting my mind carry me away as I replayed everything that had happened. I didn't notice that there was a person on the stairs until I collided with their elbow.
"Darcy!" Imogen snapped me out of my daze.
"Sorry." I said, laughter and tiredness creeping into my voice. "I didn't see you."
"Obviously," she cocked her head to one side. "Are you all right?"
I thought about it. "I'm better," I replied resolutely "so much better."
She gave me an appraising look.
"And I don't suppose your day with the Prince had anything to do with it." Sarcasm, as usual.
I was trying very hard no to brush as I eyed her with mock indignation.
"No." I said innocently.
But she saw right through me.
"You have," She paused dramatically. "Some serious talking to do." She adjusted her book on hip and gazed at me expectantly, eyes never wavering from my face.
'Fine." I said resigning, and then I slipped past her. "In the morning."
For a minute she looked like she was going to argue, But as I had already almost reached my room she simply rolled her eyes and continued downstairs.
I took an awfully long time getting ready. My mind kept drifting into that hazy place and often times it was only the servant’s chatter as they trudged past my door that snapped me out of it. It was very late by the time I actually slipped into bed.
Though If I had hoped for sleep I was severely disappointed.
For the second night in a row conflicted feelings kept me up. The fading distractions and oncoming grief, and the fear of what night would bring. The impending conversation with my sister, which I wasn't exactly looking forward too.
But the sooner I feel asleep, the sooner I would see him again.
Let's just say it took me a few hours to finally relax enough to let sleep take over.
But it seemed blackness had barely settled when I heard a crash, followed by screaming.
Check out my newly published YA fantasy novel here!

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/SaraETall

1504 Reviews

Reviews: 1504
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 am
IcyFlame says...

Hey there! Icy here to review for ya!
Normally I would be totally against starting a chapter in the manner you have but I think it works here. It's a fairly short chapter but your grammer seems to be good throughout.
The one thing I did want to mention though was some of your construction of speech.
Here, for example:
artemis15sc wrote:Prince Nathanielcomma” I started, but he interrupted.
New paragraph when somebody new speacks“Nate,” he saidFull stop instead. “I want you to call me Nate, it’s more personal.”

That's all I've got! A good chapter though :)

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:38 pm
Narnialover4ever1 says...

'But we talked about that. We talked about us. He admitted he'd missed our close friendship as much as I had, and was eager to continue rejuvenating it after tonight. We talked about our past, our plans for the future. A slightly awkward topic as his future was already laid out for him, being the heir to the throne and all. We brushed over politics, but as this was often the topic of conversation during his visits with my sisters and mother, it didn't last long. He carefully steered the conversation away from the rebellion, Jason, or New Hope any time it threatened to head in that direction; for which I was eternally grateful. For Hours we talked, until the sun had long since retired. It would be time for us to return home soon, but not before a leisurely stroll down the only secluded pedestrian walkway in the entire city'

Great paragraph! Keep up the good work!
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again'

'Look there she goes that girl is so peculiar. I wonder if she's feeling well.
With a dreamy far off look.
And her nose stuck in a book' Something my best friend, Drew, said about me

Wist is Ley's mind, confirmed
— WeepingWisteria