z

Young Writers Society

Legacy chapter four

209 Reviews

Reviews: 209
Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:15 am
artemis15sc says...

Something one should always remember; a stressful night guarantees a corresponding dream, or nightmare.

I watched New Hope burn. I watched thousands of faceless bodies squished together and consumed by flame. I heard screams and pleas for mercy, mixed with the raucous shouts and laughter of their attackers. I saw Emily and Luke, two of my Orphan friends, running away from the destruction. fear was plastered on the face and they were screaming my name. I wanted to help them, but I couldn’t move. Then Prince Nathaniel was there by my side. He looked at me curiously, then at the children. Then he was by them. He grabbed their arms and turned toward me. He smiled, one of his signature ones, but in slow motion. I felt a flicker of relief.

Then he changed. His features morphing, hair thickening and darkening, shoulders broadening. I had never seen the man who now stood in his place, but I knew who he was.
Jason Race. He let go of the children, and they collapsed beside him. I gaped in silent horror.

He walked toward me. I wanted to run, but my feet wouldn't carry me. I want to scream, but my mouth wouldn’t open. He kept walking till he was scarcely a foot a way. He was dark and mangled, skin grisly and marred. His clothing tattered and torn and his eyes dark and furious. He smiled. A cold, hate-filled, grin.
“This is only the beginning.” Said Nathaniel’s voice, through his lips.
I awoke with a start. I was breathing heavily, my face coated in sweat. I couldn’t shake the image of new hope, nor I could I shake his face, his eyes, his words.

I didn’t want to get out of bed, but I was terrified of what sleep might bring.
Slowly I sat up. I could tell it was late by the heaviness of sunlight, and the amount of commotion downstairs. I dragged myself to my bathroom, where Julie, my handmaiden, was waiting.
“Your up, Miss Darcy.” She spoke slowly and carefully, like I was bomb that might triggered if she spoke to suddenly or said the wrong thing.
‘Is there anything I can get you?” she prompted. I just shook my head “No, I’ll be fine.”
She looked relieved, but also concerned. “Very well, Milady, I will...leave you to it then.” She curtsied swiftly and turned away, casting one last, worried, glance before she departed. As soon as she was gone I leaned over the basin, letting everything wash over me, wash me away.

After the prince left, I’d stayed till nightfall, frozen to my chair. It was Imogen who’d finally found me. Imogen, who’d h dragged, and eventually carried, me up to my bed. I hadn’t exactly been a tidy display, and I vaguely remember faces lining up to watch as we went past. So it seamed everyone knew about my little episode.
I hoped that was all they knew about that night.

It didn’t take me long to freshen up, and soon I was bounding into the Kitchen, doing my best to keep any emotion off my face.
Katie was the first person I saw. “Darcy! Your awake.” She ran over and lept into my arms.

“We we’re beginning to think you’d never wake up.” She told me stoutly. nuzzling her head into my shoulder. I smiled sadly and put her down. “Darcy?" She said again “Darcy are you okay?” I realized my eyes were tearing up, Katie had reminded my of those I had lost; I blinked them away and tried to smile. “Yeah, I’m fine.” but she still looked uncertain. I sighed inwardly and sat down. Katie huffed sadly and slouched back to her seat.

It seamed my entire family was here, save my elder brother and father, who we’re both away on Military business.
“Darcy,” My younger brother, Harry, asked. “Darcy who’s Ryder model is cooler, mine or Andy’s?” I looked at Imogen with raised eyebrows, She just rolled her eyes and returned to her breakfast.

The twins we’re in a constant competition with each other, always trying to beat the other. While normally I found this annoying, today I found it amusing, a distraction. I looked at their miniature models as they hovered around the table. I had absolutely no idea what to say however. I bit my lip, before finally deciding to play it safe.

“Well Harry’s is faster, but Andy’s looks more durable...”
“Yeah but which one’s cooler” Harry said again. I looked down at his model; it was light blue, almost the exact shade of a particular person’s eyes.
Someone I was trying very hard not to think about.
“Andy’s.” I said without thinking. There was a simultaneous groan and “yes!” Andy lifted his hand for a hive five, and I met it, weakly.

I saw Imogen staring at me intently. Only she would have been able to detect a peculiarity in my thought process, but thankfully, she didn’t press it.
I should have known that my luck wouldn’t last, however.
“Darcy,” My mother said. “Darcy, you have a message.”
“From whom?” I responded, taking a bite of my omelet.
“His Highness, Prince Nathaniel.” I dropped my fork.
“Ooh” Harry said. “Somebody got a love letter.” I tried not to blush.
“Shut up!” Melina snapped, glaring at them, then at me. I was surprised by the viciousness of that glare, it was absolutely menacing. I really was blushing now, and that only seamed to make her angrier.

Why? Why did this have to be so difficult?

My mother handed me the file and I snapped it open, I had no choice.
Luckily it wasn’t one that relayed the Prince’s voice; it contained only a few words, written in bold calligraphy.

We need to talk, meet in The Bowl at 10?

I could feel their eyes on me. I didn’t want to go, but I knew if I refused, my family would want an explanation, (Of course mom had already read it), and I didn’t want to do that either.
I closed the note with a defeated snap.
Check out my newly published YA fantasy novel here!

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/SaraETall

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:33 am
Amberchelli says...

ok, first chapter I've read of this, is Chapter four, but now you have me hooked, i want to read the rest, this is amazing, i forgot i was on a website, it sounds like it should already be published :D, by the way, did i mention THIS WAS AMAZING!!!!
**Lifes not about playing it safe, its about taking risks, because you never know what you'll find, and living every day to the fullest, because it will never be repeated**

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:25 am
chloe13 says...

I really like this story :) Your writing style is good, just it seems your sentences are really repetitive in the struture you use like;
"I couldn’t shake the image of new hope, nor I could I shake his face, his eyes, his words.. . .
She curtsied swiftly and turned away, casting one last, worried, glance before she departed . . .
As soon as she was gone I leaned over the basin, letting everything wash over me, wash me away."

It seems like your use of commas is often saturated at times. Maybe try using shorter sentences? But otherwise this is a really good piece of work and I can't wait until the next chapter :)

Reviews: 2
Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:16 pm
SummerFollies says...

I really like this. I love your writing style, it is very well done. I read through all the chapters you posted and I am looking forward to the next one. The standard is high and constistant in each.
 "The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive, more real than real ... for a moment at least ... that long magic moment before we wake."-George R.R.Martin

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet