z

Young Writers Society

My Amber Eyes chapter one

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:03 am
Rascalover says...

Saturday June 5th

Every fiber in my being screamed for him as I stood there silent, watching him walk away. I had to let him go. This wasn’t in the plan. I wasn’t suppose to fall in love, especially with him. I’ve tried to rationalize it in my head hundreds of times; he’ll be dead soon, but I still ache for him. My heart was bound to be broken. Leave it to me to have my heart stolen by a stranger and have him disintegrate before my eyes.

As my eldest granddaughter closed my teenage diary, I could feel the tears stinging the corners of my wrinkled eyes. Just from her reading that tiny part out loud a rush of old, forgotten feelings seemed to knock at the back of my brain, making my head hurt.

“Do you still want to read the rest?”

“Yes… grandma, please.” Elizabeth was quiet, but gripped my propelling story firmly in her hands.

The calmest of my grandchildren, she was sent here because her parents are on a business trip for their local bookstore, some kind of convention. I knew what she was thinking, what is she going to do with an old granny, knit? So, when I told her to get the blankets from the top of my closet and dust covered the air as my secret diary hit the floor, I bet she was surprised. She was intrigued, so I let her have a peek; who knows, maybe she’ll think her grandma was hip, doubt it.

“Just be careful with it. I am going to bed. Make yourself comfy. I’m sure the drive down here was tiring.” My old bones creaked as I hunched my way towards the stairs.

Barely a whisper, Elizabeth said, “Goodnight, grandma.”

I kissed her cheek as I made my way towards the spiraling staircase. Lifting one leg at a time, I made it up all fifteen stairs with a pair of amber eyes watching each step of the way. I turned down the covers of the queen bed I use to share with my husband, once I entered my bedroom at the end of the hall. Memories rushed to my side as I slowly sat on the edge of the bed. Swinging each leg into the bed, I tried my darnedest to push those old thoughts out of my mind because along with those old thoughts came back old feelings that no one has time to figure out anymore. The goose feather comforter laid thick on my old tired bones.

Footsteps soon awoke me from slumber; Elizabeth was finally going to bed. This old house creaked and heaved with each movement she made. Each crick and creak of her mattress startled me, but as my large imagination got use to having another living, breathing person in the house again, my heavy eyelids closed the world away, allowing me to sleep once again.

Elizabeth

I clicked the door shut and plopped down on the old, dusty mattress. I bet my grandma hasn’t used this room since my grandpa died. At least I only have to be here for a week, and maybe this old diary will be entertaining, doubt it. She probably wrote about knights in shining armor and rose bushes. I wish I was at my house, surrounded by my things, sleeping in my own bed; this one is so loud.

I laid the diary on the nightstand next to me and turned the light off. Making my way to the bed seemed like an easy task before the light went out, but now I seemed to be bumping into every edge in the room. Cursing under my breath, I hoped I didn’t wake up Grandma. Once on the bed I was too afraid to get comfortable because the bed made entirely too much noise. Stupid mattress, I want to be home; I want to be home.

After ten minutes of looking at the back of my eyelids, I opened my eyes; sleep wasn’t going to come easy tonight, even with the five hour drive here. The musty smell of the room was restful, but I felt an uneasiness saturating the room. No, I don’t believe in ghost, but the feeling of something watching me would creep out of my mind. The morning couldn’t come fast enough.

Counting sheep, I closed my eyes and wished to be any where, but here. Ninety-nine sheep, ninety-eight sheep, ninety-seven sheep…

I awoke to silence. Peering out the window just above the window just above my bed, I saw my grandma gardening. She sure is agile for an old lady, I thought as I stretched and reached for my cell phone, not to check for a text, but to see what time it was. One o’clock in the afternoon, I felt lazy; why hadn’t she woke me? My back ached from the horrible sleep I had received. I slinked my way to the bathroom and rubbed my eyes profusely.

The bathroom smelled like old lady lotion and crusty toenails. I could slowly feel the bile burning in my throat. Why we didn’t just throw her in an old folks home and call it a day remained a mystery to me. Old people just took up space and fought for a time no one cared about any more. I hope she doesn’t try to sit me down and tell me stories of long ago when gas was only a dime a gallon. Maybe she would let me into town, to the library or the department store.

As I reached for my tooth brush I could feel an aching in my stomach that I tried to fight. There were no birds chirping, no squirrels handing me toilet paper, no smell of homemade muffins and a complete breakfast of pancakes, eggs, sausage, and bacon. My grandma wasn’t begging for me to be apart of her life, just as my parents weren’t begging me to be apart of theirs; this was highly disappointing.
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 am
stargazer9927 says...

I love this idea! I can already predict what your plot is from the first chapter, so you did a good job of making me interested and getting me thinking.
Every fiber in my being screamed for him as I stood there silent, watching him walk away. I had to let him go. This wasn't in the plan. I wasn't suppose to fall in love, especially with him. I%u2019ve tried to rationalize it in my head hundreds of times; he'll be dead soon, but I still ache for him. My heart was bound to be broken. Leave it to me to have my heart stolen by a stranger and have him disintegrate before my eyes.

Great job with your first paragraph. The first paragraph is what makes a reader decide if they want to read it and you did a great job. I'm really curious why he'd be dead soon, and why they couldn't be together. It was such a great twist knowing that an old lady that is a grandma could have a past like that. Perhaps you'll say more about it in the next chapter? :)

I really liked how you did the perspective thing. I've never tried a two person perspective story (although I do have one novel that could be turned into a two perspective story but right now it's in third person) and the only novel I've ever read other than this one was Flipped (if you've ever heard of it). I like it and I think getting into both of their heads is good.

The calmest of my grandchildren, she was sent here because her parents are on a business trip for their local bookstore, some kind of convention. I knew what she was thinking, what is she going to do with an old granny, knit? So, when I told her to get the blankets from the top of my closet and dust covered the air as my secret diary hit the floor, I bet she was surprised. She was intrigued, so I let her have a peek; who knows, maybe she’ll think her grandma was hip, doubt it.

So we know a little bit about the girl from the grandma, but we didn't really learn a lot about her from herself, and that's usually when you learn the most about a person. Now I realize characters develop over time in a novel, but some descriptions would be nice. What do they look like? I can't even picture them.

I hope my review was helpful and I can't wait to read more. Will you PM me when you post more? Oh, and as of now I'm following you :)
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 am
cannoncomplex says...

Hi there just as I promise.

Okay, the story has two perspective of nana (grandma) and the kid. lets start with the kid.

Okay, the overall look is that the kid seem to hopeless, pessimism is a good word. From the final paragraph, there was a negative outlook onto himself, and about life in general. Furthermore, there was a little dialogue on his section compared to the nana which confirms the calm essence of the kid. But there was not much reason behind it, or how she came to be like that. Was there something with the parents or is it with the house?

For the Nana part, what I am interested is what she let the kid read? Was there any reaction from the kid on the diary. it would be nice if there was some engagement between the two. Furthermore, being the owener of the house, It would be nice to show her looking back to the house itself. Being old, she could recall the many things that had happen here, and let her be (for a moment) in a state of flashback.

Hence, the story began with a good introduction to the characters. the plot was not yet there. it was more subtle like it was building up slowly yet saying that, you could put some hint of conflict either with the kid and nana; kid and parents ; or the people vs the setting of the story. That way, the reader may want to read want will be the events that deals with this two characters
Lain Iwakura: If you're not remembered, then you never existed.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:21 pm
aj14 says...

Wow! The plot is great and the way you chose to place your words so carefuly as you did, made this all the better of a fantastic story! Your spelling dosn't seem bad, and your grammer is fine! You seem to roll through this story wonderfuly! Your story talent is amazing!

If I were to give you any advice on errors or anything like that, it would be that you seem to skip around in the story a bit. Like one minute your here the next your somewhere else. I don't mean that to come out bad, I'm just saying that that's the thing that I would try bot to do. And it's a hard thing to do, because I do it too! And you know they say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but it's a very hard thing to break, and I've been trying hard not to do that. But anyway. This is a grea great story! You rock!

PS. You got me hooked with the name. That's a really good name, and don't change it! It's awesome, and I'm sure it will hook other readers!

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:40 am
romance otaku says...

aturday June 5th

Every fiber in my being screamed for him as I stood there silent, watching him walk away. I had to let him go. This wasn’t in the plan. I wasn’t suppose to fall in love, especially with him. I’ve tried to rationalize it in my head hundreds of times; he’ll be dead soon, but I still ache for him. My heart was bound to be broken. Leave it to me to have my heart stolen by a stranger and have him disintegrate before my eyes.

As my eldest granddaughter closed my teenage diary, I could feel the tears stinging the corners of my wrinkled eyes. Just from her reading that tiny part out loud a rush of old, forgotten feelings seemed to knock at the back of my brain, making my head hurt.

“Do you still want to read the rest?” (I asked?)

“Yes… grandma, please.” Elizabeth was quiet, but gripped my propelling (she called her own story propelling - I think she'd say something more like "painful") story firmly in her hands.

The calmest of my grandchildren, she was sent here because her parents are on a business trip for their local bookstore, (should be a semicolon?) some kind of convention. I knew what she was thinking, what is she going to do with an old granny,(period?) knit? So, when I told her to get the blankets from the top of my closet and dust covered the air as my secret diary hit the floor, I bet she was surprised (Too much detail in one sentence - you go from being fairly general to noting exactly how the book landed on the floor. Big step up. Tone it down a notch). She was intrigued, so I let her have a peek; who knows, maybe she’ll think her grandma was hip, (period?) doubt it.

(but what rational did she have to let her granddaughter read even more of her secret, personal thoughts?) “Just be careful with it. I am going to bed. Make yourself comfy. I’m sure the drive down here was tiring.” My old bones creaked as I hunched my way towards the stairs.

Barely a whisper, Elizabeth said, “Goodnight, grandma.” (Like I said in my review of chapter two, she sounds like she's ten in my mind... I don't know, just the dialogue style...)

I kissed her cheek as I made my way towards the spiraling staircase. Lifting one leg at a time, I made it up all fifteen stairs with a pair of amber eyes watching each step of the way. I turned down the covers of the queen bed I use(d) to share with my husband, (No comma) once I entered my bedroom at the end of the hall (shouldn't this detail be at the beginning of the sentence?). Memories rushed to my side as I slowly sat on the edge of the bed. Swinging each leg into the bed, I tried my darnedest to push those old thoughts out of my mind(comma) because along with those old thoughts came back old feelings that no one has time to figure out anymore (that's insensitive). The goose feather comforter laid thick on my old tired bones.

Footsteps soon awoke me from slumber; Elizabeth was finally going to bed. This old house creaked and heaved with each movement she made. Each crick and creak of her mattress startled me, but as my large imagination got use to having another living, breathing person in the house again, my heavy eyelids closed the world away, allowing me to sleep once again.

Elizabeth

I clicked the door shut and plopped down on the old, dusty mattress. I bet my grandma hasn’t used this room since my grandpa died. (Thoughts should be in italics to not confuse the reader) At least I only have to be here for a week, and maybe this old diary will be entertaining, (period?) doubt it. (I thought she was the one who wanted to read it in the first place.) She probably wrote about knights in shining armor and rose bushes. I wish I was at my house, surrounded by my things, sleeping in my own bed; this one is so loud. (again, italics)

I laid the diary on the nightstand next to me and turned the light off. Making my way to the bed seemed like an easy task before the light went out, but now I seemed to be bumping into every edge in the room (aren't night stands typically right next to the bed?) . Cursing under my breath, I hoped I didn’t wake up Grandma. Once on the bed I was too afraid to get comfortable because the bed made entirely too much noise. Stupid mattress, I want to be home; I want to be home. (Italics?)

After ten minutes of looking at the back of my eyelids, I opened my eyes; sleep wasn’t going to come easy tonight, even with the five hour drive here. The musty smell of the room was restful, but I felt an uneasiness saturating the room. No, I don’t (didn't?) believe in ghost(s), but the feeling of something watching me would creep out of my mind. The morning couldn’t come fast enough.

Counting sheep, I closed my eyes and wished to be any where (usually one word, also you don't need the comma after this), but here. Ninety-nine sheep, ninety-eight sheep, ninety-seven sheep… (I thought you count sheep up... otherwise it's not really counting XD)

I awoke to silence. Peering out the window just above the window (a window on top of a window? Okay) just above my bed, I saw my grandma gardening. She sure is agile for an old lady(Italics), I thought as I stretched and reached for my cell phone, not to check for a text, but to see what time it was (I don't need to know what you didn't do. However, that's a cool story idea: write a book entirely about what didn't happen *tucks that one away*). One o’clock in the afternoon,(period?) I felt lazy; why hadn’t she woke me? My back ached from the horrible sleep I had received. I slinked my way to the bathroom and rubbed my eyes profusely.

The bathroom smelled like old lady lotion and crusty toenails (maybe leave the toenail part out... XD) . I could slowly feel the bile burning in my throat. Why we didn’t just throw her in an old folks home and call it a day remained a mystery to me. Old people just took up space and fought for a time no one cared about any more. I hope she doesn’t try to sit me down and tell me stories of long ago when gas was only a dime a gallon. Maybe she would let me into town, to the library or the department store. (With what money?)

As I reached for my tooth brush I could feel an aching in my stomach that I tried to fight. There were no birds chirping, no squirrels handing me toilet paper (*thinks about it* I'd like that), no smell of homemade muffins and a complete breakfast of pancakes, eggs, sausage, and bacon. My grandma wasn’t begging for me to be apart of her life, just as my parents weren’t begging me to be apart of theirs; this was highly disappointing. (even my grandma, who can barely stand, would at least try to make breakfast for me. She may fall down and break her leg, but she'd do it. This grandma sounds... evil)

Guess who reviewed chapter two before chapter one! I did! I'll mention any changes I need to make to my chapter 2 review at the end of this one. Sorry about that T_T.

Italics are used to quote thoughts. Thus, you can use them to put present tense thoughts into a past tense story. I think that may fix some of your tensing issues. Use them well, grasshopper. Use them well.

This chapter is much better written than chapter 2. This chapter has the details spread out, dialogue here and there, as well as squirrels handing out toilet paper. That made me happy.

I think your biggest issue is that your character's thoughts don't really line up with what they say or do. Not all the time, and not badly, just small things. However, small things make the story. Besides, a good edit or two and you should be good to go.

Now go read my chapter 2 review!
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:37 am
captain.classy says...

Hi there!

Wow, this is a very promising first chapter. You seem to have the characters pretty much figured out, and as you probably planned, I hate Elizabeth. The grandmother leaves me thinking about what the kind of person she is, what with being a widow and all, so you've definitely left room to develop your characters and show them off to your audience.

I think you did a nice job with introducing the novel. A lot of novels in progress I read on here jump right into the action, or they start way too far before it. However I think you've started at just the right time. You've introduced us to background without it seeming rushed, and you've managed to show us something that I'm guess is going to play a large part in this novel: the diary. I'm excited!

Quotes 'N' Comments

As my eldest granddaughter closed my teenage diary,

This is a normal way for a grandmother to introduce her grandchild. The eldest, a significant part of their connection to her.

The calmest of my grandchildren,

This is, however, awkward, especially since it's a paragraph away from the above quote. We have the above quote in our minds still and the second one is so closely related to it it sounds repetitive, so I'd replace that if I were you. Another reason to be rid of it is that, well, Elizabeth isn't calm. She might actually be the opposite. Sure she didn't really say much, but that is quiet, not calm. Hitting things, stressing over her noisy mattress, voicing her rude opinions of her grandmother are not calm things.

and maybe this old diary will be entertaining, doubt it.

Another very awkward sentence. Your character contradicts herself very bluntly here, and it's rather annoying. Your writing is good, however you still have to understand that sometimes less is more. You don't need to add 'doubt it' onto the end of it. We already know how your character feels about the situation, so we don't really need to know that she doubts it will be entertaining. Just stick with one of the thoughts. She doubts it will be entertaining or she things it might be.

Characters

Elizabeth is annoying, selfish and mean. A very good main character. However I think you should continue alternating the views of the grandparent and her, I do hope that's what your doing. After only that little bit of her I'm already annoyed, not to a point where I want to stop reading, but to a point where I might want to if it keeps going like this. Something you can do is show compassion through the grandmother's eyes, or be sure that in the next couple chapters you show a good side to Elizabeth, one that we'll feel sorry for her. Maybe even sorry enough to overcome the hatred we have for her being a spoiled brat.

I love the grandmother, and I already feel sorry for her and I don't really know much. Just how you had her think about how weird it was to have another breathing person, and then seeing Elizabeth's side? The grandmother doesn't want to be alone anymore, but when she finally gets someone to visit her, her granddaughter is a brat! I have definite sympathy for her, and I think you can go a long way with this character.

There is something I'd like to point out before I forget and that is that when you write with alternating people like this, you don't have to write about things twice. I think that mentioning all the noise she's making in the grandma's opinion leaves a strong enough impression you don't have to talk about it with Elizabeth's opinion. It makes it seem boring and repetitive.

I think you have something here, excited to read the next chapter.

Classy

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:56 am
IsItLove says...

I really enjoyed your story, I felt captivated by it.

I agree with other users that you should diffrentiate the thoughts with italics. I also think that it is confusing the way that the thoughts contrast with the speech, although it does happen.

I think this is a really solid start for an amazong novel. I can't wait to read on! :) Xxx
Passion for writing make all the difference; it turns a good novel into a great one.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:11 pm
PixieStix says...

If you were to choose between chapter1 or chapter two what chapter would you pick? Becuaasse it seems that you adore the chapter one story better than chapter 2 because you put more detail into chapter 1. I understand it though. When you start a story you want it to start out with the best desighn you can. I've done that before. But thats all I have to say right now, I'll be back later! Bye!

~Pixie2~
All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie-dust!

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100