z

Young Writers Society

Addicted to a Shadow - Chapter One

1503 Reviews

Reviews: 1503
Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:32 pm
IcyFlame says...

Spoiler! :
I wasn't sure what category to put this in - so here we are! I don't know whether I will bother to do aything with it, but reviews are welcome :)

Addicted to a Shadow
Chapter One: Lila
I’ve replayed this day over in my head a thousand times. I can’t forget it, not even one tiny little detail. I just can’t. Sometimes I think I want to and then maybe I would be free from the nightmares. I could just live a normal life. But normal’s doesn’t work for me. Not anymore.
There was nothing about the clouded sky outside that morning that suggested today would be any different from the others. My alarm clock went off at the usual time, waking me from my sleep. I groaned loudly and tried to pull the covers up over my head, hoping to drown out the sound. The noise grew louder, penetrating through my head. Reluctantly, I threw the duvet onto the floor and rolled out of bed, fumbling for my glasses on the bedside table. Soon enough, I had pulled on my clothes, twisted my blonde hair into a loose bun and hurried down the stairs.
The kitchen was empty as I had predicted. Milo must have already headed out. I wasn’t sure if he was working today; his shifts changed so frequently that I found it hard to keep up. Not knowing where my soon to be husband was during day was quite a common occurrence for me. I supposed it would bug most women, but I hadn’t come across any reason not to trust him. Not yet anyway.
Grabbing a cereal bar from the cupboard I swung my bag over my shoulder and headed out of the front door. The icy air whipped around my face and I buried it in my scarf, crunching along the frosted pavement. I was thankful that the forecast had been wrong; last night, there had been reports of a flurry of snow in the early morning, rendering public transport useless. Yet there was no sign of it yet, and although the cool November air wasn’t very inviting, I made my way easily to the train station and sat down in my usual seat.
I looked around and spotted the clock which read a quarter to seven. Surprised to find I was early, I opened my bag and withdrew the book I had been reading last night.

The fog was dense, like a blanket suffocating me. It muffled the sound as if I were in a dream, rubbing up its arched back against the windows and licking into the corners of the darkness. It lingered delicately over the houses on the street, hunting on the fear of the few people ridiculous enough to be out at this hour. Using my hands to navigate along the wall I advanced timidly into the night. I knew where I was going, I just didn’t want to run into anyone I knew and the fog made it a whole lot harder to avoid people easily. Although, I mused, it did provide a good amount of disguise.

I sighed heavily, absorbing the words hungrily, as though I could never get enough. Many a night, I would lie awake wishing I could write like this, wanting to capture the hearts of readers all over the world. But even if I could, Milo would not have allowed it.
“Writing books are just for those who live boring lives,” he had said. “You don’t want to waste your life of it Lil, find yourself a proper job.”

And so I had, as a journalist for a small county paper, working every day from eight until five like most other people. I had thrown myself into it straight away, hoping that this would be the writing my brain craved so much. But it was long and tedious work. Very rarely did our little community have anything interesting that was worth reporting and I seemed to spend most of my time organising files and fetching coffee for everyone else. Physically, my job was tiring but my imagination never quite got the exercise it needed.

Yet when I returned home in the evening, there would be countless distractions waiting for me. Without the time to write down my ideas, my characters always took a back seat in my head, fading gradually from my memory like ghosts in the sunlight.

I was often told I was lucky. I had everything a young woman could possibly dream of; a pretty little flat in a nice part of town, a secure job and a handsome fiancée. And in most ways I agreed. My life was at an all time high, and I didn’t think I could be much happier. But every life is full of secrets, deceit and lies. When you reach the top, the only way to go is back down again.
At ten past, I replaced the book in my bag, took a swig of water and stood up. Humming quietly, I made my way to platform. Once there I scanned the monitor quickly for my train. It was always five minutes late and today was no different. Each day was the same.
As soon as I sat down I was joined by Julian, a young blonde man in black trousers and a massive hooded jumper. I had never seen him in anything different; he seemed to have about twelve of these jumpers in a different colour, but all the same style.
“Morning Lila,” he smiled shyly, sitting down next to me. “How are you?”
“I'm fine Julian,” I replied. It was always the same answer, but he didn’t seem to mind. “Yourself?”
He shrugged. “I guess so. Terri came over to get her things last night and I'm a bit worn out.”
I hesitated slightly before patting him on the shoulder. He and Terri had been together ever since high school, or so he had said. Married for two years, it appeared that everything was going great. That just went to show how much I knew. Julian wouldn’t explain what had gone wrong, and I didn’t push him. After all, I only spoke to him for twenty minutes each morning on the way into the city; I barely knew the man.
“I know you’ll find someone better,” I tried to reassure him, hoping the words I was speaking sounded true. “It’ll be just fine.”
“Can I ask you something?”
I smiled. “I’m pretty sure you just did. But yes, you may.”
“Do you believe that there is someone out there for everyone?”
“Like soul mates?”
“Yes.”
I considered this for a moment before answering. “No.” Truth be told, I had never thought about it before but I was worried he’d think Terri was his. I didn’t want to be the cause of someone’s bad mood today.
This had apparently been the right answer. His eager little face lit up and for the first time the smile reached his eyes. I returned his look, it was impossible not to be infected by it.
“Really?”
“Really, really.”
The rest of the train ride was fairly menial. Julian and I exchanged basic conversation; he asked me how Milo was and I in turn wondered what he was going to do with his life now that he had a fresh start. He told me of his plans to focus on his job and I nodded politely. It was a quick journey and before I knew it the voice overhead had announced my stop.
I stood up, said a quick goodbye to Julian and walked purposefully out onto the platform. In the brief period I had spent on the train it seemed to have grown even colder. The sky was an ominous grey and I hoped feverishly that the snow would hold off at least until I got inside.
The walk to the newspaper wasn’t far; I could make it in ten minutes on a good day. Reluctantly, I decided against a hot drink from the café and instead strode towards the office.
Thursdays were never very busy days anyway, but today seemed to drag on forever. I spent the morning organising hundreds of files and the afternoon sat at my desk, proof reading the mind numbing stories that had been printed today. Milo didn’t call all day. I debated sending him a message, but there wasn’t really much point. I would see him at home later anyway.
I settled myself down on the sofa with a steaming mug of tea and grabbed a handful of biscuits. Forgetting my diet, I ate one after another until they had all gone.
Darkness was falling fast now, and I crossed over to the window. By the light of the lamppost outside I cloud see thick, swirling flakes beginning to descend to the ground. Thankful that I at least had made it home before now, I began to wonder where Milo was. He was normally home waiting for me and hadn’t sent me a message to let me know otherwise. Odd.
Just then there came a knock on the front door. Assuming Milo had forgotten his key; I drew the curtains with a sigh and headed to open it. If I had known then just who stood on the other side of the wooden barrier I'm not too sure I would have answered it.
Yet I did, and it swung open, letting in all the cold air. A dark haired man stood outside, his breath coming in short gasps that I put down to the temperature. He wasn’t wearing a helmet, but there was no doubt about it; he was a policeman.
He got straight to the point; speaking in a low rumbling voice. “Are you Miss Lila Drinkwater?”
I frowned, longing for the day to finally dawn when I would no longer have to answer to that ridiculous name.
“Yes.”
“I think I better come in,” he told me. “You’ll need to sit down.”
Last edited by IcyFlame on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 pm
View Likes
WaywardBird says...

oooooo. I'll level with you, the begining was boring. I personally think that little protagonist here is a fool for not seeing Mr. Drinkwater is a douche. But I stopped when I saw Julian. That one scene, that singular moment in the story, caught enough of my attention for me to want to read more. Then the policeman came into the picture, and now I'm hooked. I'm a sucker for noir- True Crime is my shit. It was, for nearly all of it, well written, except of course for the dingle-berry protagonist for thinking her fiancee is for her. I love how she forgets her diet, and how she is considerate of other people, and a decent work-ethic which is hard to find in today's YA fiction. All the kids want to relate to other kids, and so most characters are druggies or sex-addicts or bums, but this is my kind of story. A normal girl, a normal, sweet life, then a twist. I <3 twists.
Latina est TUMOROSUS senes ita sortem.

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey there Icy!

The title drew me in straight away. As for your MC, she was okay. A bit too plain at some points, but as Waywardbird said, it was the little touches that you added to her, like the diet part and the chat with Julian on the train, that made her more intersting. Overall though, it was the way you kept dropping subtle hints about it 'not being a normal day' that kept me reading. I was waiting patiently for the BAM or the twist, and when the policeman arrived I got excited. Only for you to end the chapter :P At least you found a way to get me to read on!

I found a few nit-piks that I'd like to share with you.

But normal’s doesn’t work for me.

'normal'

husband was during day was quite

You need 'the' after 'during'

Grabbing a cereal bar from the cupboard I swung

Comma after 'cupboard'

been reports of a flurry of snow in the early morning, rendering public transport useless.

I'm not sure if 'flurry' is a strong enough word here. To render the public transport useless, I'd think there would have to have been a huge downpour of snow. A flurry to me, would be a light shower. I don't know though - it may just be me.

Yet there was no sign of it yet,

Nix one of the 'yet's. Probably the first one.

Using my hands to navigate along the wall I advanced timidly into the night.

Comma after 'wall'

“You don’t want to waste your life of it Lil, find yourself a proper job.”

This would be better as two seperate sentences by changing the comma to a full stop.

'“You don’t want to waste your life of it Lil. Find yourself a proper job.”'

fading gradually from my memory like ghosts in the sunlight.

I loved this line!

handsome fiancée

The spelling of fiancée that you used is the female version. You need to use 'fiancé' instead.

I made my way to platform.

platform...? You're missing something at the end of this sentence.

“Morning Lila,” he smiled shyly

This should be written like this -

'“Morning, Lila.” He smiled shyly'

wooden barrier I'm not too sure

Comma after 'barrier'

Like I said at the start, it was the ominous signs of a twist that kept me reading to the end, but I'm sure the MC will grow on me once I find out more about her. Besides, this is only the first chapter.

I hope this review helps!

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:57 pm
Sins says...

Yo! ^_^

I'm a little rusty because I've had, like, no sleep within the past few days, so I apologise in advance if this review's a little lame. I'll try my best though, m'kay? :P

Not a huge amount happened in this opening chapter, so I may not have a lot to say. I will say that, overall, this was a good read. :) I was very fond of some of your descriptions considering I suck at them myself, and they created the kind of atmosphere I think you wanted very well. The technical side of things was great, and although grammar isn't my strong point, I didn't spot any obvious issues. I also think you ended this well too because it naturally made me want to read the second chapter. Although the ending of a policeman arriving at a house with bad news is kind of cliché, it's always a great way to make your readers want to know what happens next.

Before I move on to anything deeper, I have a small nit-pick for you.

The fog was dense, like a blanket suffocating me. It muffled the sound as if I were in a dream, rubbing up its arched back against the windows and licking into the corners of the darkness. It lingered delicately over the houses on the street, hunting on the fear of the few people ridiculous enough to be out at this hour. Using my hands to navigate along the wall I advanced timidly into the night. I knew where I was going, I just didn’t want to run into anyone I knew and the fog made it a whole lot harder to avoid people easily. Although, I mused, it did provide a good amount of disguise.

This paragraph is what Lila is reading in the book, right? I didn't actually realise that at first. I was a little confused and assumed that she was already off the train, and was now randomly walking around the place... xD This might actually be a site glitch though/a my computer glitch because when I'm in the reply view rather than the thread view, this paragraph is italicised... *is creeped out* Maybe you could try and redo the italics on the paragraph and see if it works... or maybe I should hit my laptop a couple of times... I just thought I'd mention that in case it is a general glitch, and not just a me thing.

When I review novels, I tend to hold back a bit on the first chapter when it comes to things that are often developed throughout the novel, f.e. character personalities, so I won't stress you about anything like that for now. On the other hand, the first chapter of a novel is one of the, if not the most important part of the novel because it's this chapter that decides whether people are going to want to read on or not. Because of that, I'll try and concentrate on aspects of this that could be improved to hook the reader more effectively. You've got a good hook already, so I have no idea how much help I'm actually going to be. x3

H'okay, so I liked the hints of something bad happening, but for me, they felt a little too obvious after a while. Foreshadowing is good and all, but I think it's best done with subtlety. You often mentioned the whole 'this day was different' kind of thing, but I would actually like for you to not be as obvious. I actually think simply getting rid of some of the lines like that would solve the problem, but it would still keep that feeling of foreshadowing. It would just be done in a cleverer way.

For example, take the weather. You described the weather to be cold and grey, and in fact, you described it like that in the book she was reading. I'm not sure if you did this on purpose, but it's little tricks like that that create a foreshadowing feel, but in a way that's subtle. Instead of simply saying 'today was different', use technical tricks like that to create a negative atmosphere and mood in your readers head, so they have that awkward feeling in their belly that tells them something isn't right. If you can think of other clever ways to do this, then I'd suggest that you experiment a little and add them into this chapter.

The only other thing I can think of to critique is a bit of a shady critique anyway... You see, right now, I think I could maybe predict what might happen in the near future. Okay, so I instantly assumed that the policeman is here because Lila's fiancé has been killed. I'm 90% confident that I'm right on that. Julian has just split up from his wife as well, hasn't he? Because of that, I'm assuming that him and Lila are going to end up together. Now, I could be 100% wrong, but if you asked me now, that's what I'd say I think is going to happen during the future of this novel. Thinking about it, I guess this kind of ties into my first critique.

The reason I instantly assumed these things was because you hinted and foreshadowed them a lot. When Lila was speaking to Julian, the main focus of their conversation/her description of him was about him leaving his wife. As for Milo, he was the one thing on Lila's mind when the policeman knocked on the door, so us readers instantly draw a link between the policeman and him. It's all psychological, my friend. Creepy stuff.

... I began to wonder where Milo was. He was normally home waiting for me and hadn’t sent me a message to let me know otherwise. Odd.

Just then there came a knock on the front door. Assuming Milo had forgotten his key; I drew the curtains with a sigh and headed to open it. If I had known then just who stood on the other side of the wooden barrier I'm not too sure I would have answered it.

Do you see what I mean? When there's a knock on the door, Lila instantly assumes it's Milo and that he's forgotten his key. The last sentence is really foreshadowy (that's a word, okay?) actually... It blatantly says that this is why/how her life changes.

Look, I may be a bit biased because I'm not a fan of foreshadowing in general, so please take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt. I do think that you could... not necessarily tone it down, but use it in more of a sneaky way. You can still hint at what's to come in the chapter/novel, but try and do it as cleverly as possible. :)

Negatives aside, I definitely think that this novel could end up being a great read. I think I'll go and review the next chapter now actually... unless I get distracted because, seriously, my mum's cooking something downstairs and it smells lush. I think it's mashed potato.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

Random avatar

Reviews: 88
Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:24 am
Doxie00 says...

ooouh ! i lloved it !! i also likeed the suspense here! way to go!

keep up the good work im affraid i don't have any corrections to make u_u

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh