z

Young Writers Society

A Sacred Pact Part III

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu May 01, 2008 3:39 am
Mrs Elizabeth Darcy says...

She flew to her feet and whirled around. There he stood, shoulders slightly stooped, brown curls disheveled, as though he had been running.

They stared at each other a moment, brown eyes and blue. For a moment, her face was alive, full of warmth and colour---then her vibrancy left, and she became hard as a marble statue again.

"You dare," she growled, anger spewing out, "to speak to me? You dare look at me? You dare to come to London at all? You hideous, insufferable little---"

"Melody, I swear I didn't know you were in London!"

"I won't be called Melody by you. You may call me Miss Lucas."

"Must you put that wall up?" he asked, a note of frustration and misery in his voice.

"Yes, indeed I must," she replied icily. "If you'll excuse me, Mr. Kay, I just realized that I sent Marguerite out by herself. I must go at once."

"You just want to get away from me."

"That would be a secondary motivation, yes." She headed for the door.

"Melod---Miss Lucas, for God's sake, wait a moment to hear me!"

"Why should I? I believe I know exactly what you are going to say, and I don't believe you beforehand."

"How can you know that?"

"Because I know you, Mr. Kay."

"Please. I need you to hear this."

She paused a moment, stayed by the resigned calmness in his voice. She could bear mad rages and tempers from him, she could close her ears to poetry and her eyes to desperation, but calmness---that was something different. She bit her lip. Did he know that? Surely he did.

He took quick advantage of her hesitation. "Miss Lucas, I never meant to leave you. By everything, I swear I never intended, never imagined you would---take it---like you did."

"How else could I take it?"

"You could have given me the benefit of the doubt."

"For a week? Yes. A month? Yes, even a year, but I waited more than thirteen years, Justin. Too long for any woman to wait. Too long for any woman to keep trusting. Too long for love to outlive it."

"Mine did."

"You were the offender. Perhaps you thought I'd be all ready and waiting to receive you with a smile and a greeting after you left me with---after you left? I suppose you left the next girl in the gutter too, and when no one else would take you, you---"

Suddenly he gripped her wrist and yanked her to him, grasping her so tight against him she could feel his haggard breath on her face. "Justin, remember where you are!" she warned, her voice perfectly steady.

"I know where I am," he replied, equally steady. "Melody, can you honestly say you have no feelings left for me?"

"And if I had?"

"Then I'd take you away, just as I meant to do, just you and me again."

"Justin, it couldn't be just you and me again, ever. Not now."

"Why not? No, don't tell me why not. I don't care for your reasons."

"My reasons are very good, if only you'll hear them."

"First, tell me if you still love me." His face and voice stayed calm, but his eyes blazed, frightening her slightly.

She glared at him. "Justin, I thought, with all your faults, you were at least a gentleman. Don't take away that illusion now."

"I don't plan to. Tell me!"

There was a long, long pause. She thought for a moment, eyes fixed on his face. She was somewhat analytical in temperament, so she analyzed his expression. Finally, she bowed her head. "Yes. Now go away and don't come back."

"My darling!"

"No, don't try it. Don't try anything. Go away, go away, leave me, please leave me!"

"Dearest, are you crying?"

"No!" she shouted. "I'm not! No!"

Suddenly he kissed her, madly, wildly, ardently. She let him, not being a strong person.

"My little darling!" he whispered, stroking her. "Why can't we be together?"

"Because---"

Suddenly they heard footsteps. He let her go quickly, and she turned and knelt again.

"Got your fan, Melly. Sorry I took so long, there was a---oh, good morning, Mr. Kay!"

"Good morning, Harmony," the man replied, smiling. He glanced at Melody, who rose to receive her fan. "I did not realize," he continued, "That you and Miss Lucas were acquainted. But now I look I see the resemblance."

"She is my sister, Mr. Kay," Harmony piped up, "And if she was rude to you this morning, I apologize."

"No, if she was rude, I deserved it. She is very like her mother, Miss Lucas."

"Not really," Melody replied, smiling faintly.

"Oh, but she is! Very indeed. She has her mother's best inside qualities in her face. Well, I need to be going. Will you ladies be at the picnic on Saturday?"

Melody's smile faded. "Perhaps. Good morning."

"Good morning." He nodded and went out.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife.
Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 1

Random avatar

Reviews: 30
Sun May 04, 2008 2:25 am
happybear says...

wow! I know Im supposed to be criticing but I was so caught up in the story i forgot to look for mistakes! Perhaps I'll just have to read it again :D

If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip.
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi