Young Writers Society

Fallen Angels~Chapter 1

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:39 am
C.J. Mustang says...

Previuosly 'Alex' and 'Gangster'.

Chapter 1

“Rebecca! Dad's waiting, Let's go!” said Mom, trying to juggle all of her bags at once. I glanced at her but then my eye caught someone else in the background. I put on a quick smile as I saw a boy looking over at me, twirling my hair on my finger. He turned and elbowed his friend in the stomach, nodding over to me. Their eyes glanced at something beside me, and then landed on me again, and they laughed. My smile fell.

“I'm coming!” I said, still keeping an eye on the boys.

“Oops! Sorry about that!” my mom said, backing into me. Her auburn hair was falling out of its bun and onto her wrinkled purple dress, showing the amount of stress and worry she'd suffered. I glanced back to the two boys, who were still staring at my mother, and groaned. Putting my hand up to cover my face, I grabbed one of my moms bags.

We were in the Mars Spaceport, where we had just gotten off the spaceship that brought us here. I ran to the other side of the spaceport with my bag as my dad put moms' bags into the luggage chute. My dad came here for a business trip because he worked with a very important company dealer. After he got enough money, he brought my mom, my two brothers and me here for a little family support. We've never been on Mars before, and my dad said that it would be a cool experience for us. Yeah, right.

I sighed. "This is going to be the stupidest trip ever! None of my friends are here," I complained. I rolled my arm around in circles, relieving it from the heavy weight of the bag. "Dad, didn't you say this was going to be a business trip?"

"Yes I did, sweetie," he said, taking a hold of my bag. "I thought that it would be fun if it could be kind of a family vacation, too."

"Yippee," I said, in a monotone voice. “So, where's the car?” I asked as dad put my bag in the chute.

“What car? There are no cars here on Mars,” Dad said. “The only transportation here are the underground subways and the trams.” He wore a blue business suit and stood erect, like he was the most important person here.

"Fun. Isn't that where creepy old men spend the night?”

“Yeah,” said Joe, the oldest of my other brother and I, “Creepy old men that like to kill people and do drugs and stuff.”

“Are you serious?” asked Billy, looking up at Joe with trusting eyes.

Joe laughed. “Yeah, Billy, just like that giant scorpion in the microwave.” Billy’s eyes widened in terror.

I leaned over to whisper in Joe's ear. “Joe! Stop teasing Billy – you know he believes anything you say. You aren't serious--are you, Joe?” I said through gritted teeth. I elbowed him hard in the side.

"Hey, quit treating me like a baby! I'm not two, ya know!" yelled Billy.

Joe rubbed the spot where I elbowed him. “I'm just kidding, Billy.” He ruffled Billys' golden brown hair while Billy tried to grab Joe's.

“Joe! Becca! Knock it off! We have to catch the subway to our hotel!” yelled Mom, who was at the entrance to the Spaceport. Joe and Billy ran to catch up while I lagged behind to fix my hair. “Stay close, Billy,” she said after we walked outside into the crowd. Outside it smelled like a tinge of metal along with oxygen. The air seemed kind of moist, like what happens right after it rains. There was a little road for trams to come through, kind of like what they had at regular airports. I looked down at the ground, puzzled.

"Hey dad!" I called over the noise of the people. I could see him talking to some other men in business suits. When I called for him, he shook their hands and they went their seperate ways.

"What is this?" I asked. "It doesn't look like cement." I bent down and touched the red, hard rock. I tried to find a pebble to pick out, but it was completely smooth. The entire ground was covered with it.

"No one knows what it is," he said, coming over to stand by me. "The people who built this city tried using cement, but it wouldn't harden. Then they found this stuff in a crater, added water, and used it to replace cement. Come on, we have to get on the subway." He walked back towards my mom, with me right behind him. I looked around and saw that everyone wore the exact same clothing as they would on Earth.

Once I was out from underneath the cover of the spaceport, I looked up. The sky was pitch black except for the faint twinkling of millions of stars. While I was still looking in the sky, I looked to the left and saw a large planet looming over us. It was tan that had brown, swirly rings around it.

"Hey, Dad, which planet is that?" I asked him, looking all around me.

"Jupiter. In another part of town, you can also see the Earth behind the Moon too, but just barely."

"Wow. This place isn't that bad after all." I said, shocked at myself. I thought I was going to hate it, but the view was just too incredible. Then another question hit me as we waited at a cross-walk for the light to turn green. "Hey, how can we see if there isn't a Sun?"

"Well, the stars help out a lot, for one. And we do get some sunlight, but other than that, I'm not quite sure," said dad.

I nodded and noticed that there were some buildings that almost looked like the ones on Earth that were made of brick, but there was also some that were made completely of metal. I also noticed that besides the sky, the ground, and some of the buildings, it mostly looked like Earth. After we crossed the street, I saw a big sign that said 'Subway', and we all squeezed in down a flight of steps to a subway booth. I plugged my nose against the disgustingly strong smell of sweat and urine.

“Stay in my sight, Billy," Mom said. "Or so help me, you will stay in the hotel room this whole trip.”

“Hey!” whined Billy, “What about Joe?”

“Joe's a big boy.” I explained, unplugging my nose as the smell became a tad better. “He can take care of himself.”

After Dad talked to the man behind the booth, he paid for the subway tickets, gave us each one and smiled. “Okay, let's go.”

There were a number of turnstiles lined up by the booth, and we took turns putting our tickets into the slots so they would let us pass. Once we found our subway train, we waited for it to arrive, along with some of the crowd. I had picked up a brochure of the city on the way, so I sat on a bench and started to look through it.

“It says that there's an Uptown and a Downtown of Zyon. So what, it's like a fancy part of town and a shitty part of town or something?” I asked myself.

“Excuse me? Watch your language, young lady,” said Mom. I was surprised that she could even hear me through all of the noise between the different subways coming through and giant crowds of people. "It's bad enough that this planet could blow up any minute, but if you start running that foul little mouth of yours..."

"Sorry," I said.

“Ooh, you got told,” sang Joe.

“Oh, shut up.”

“Yes, that's exactly what it is, Rebecca.” said Dad, answering my question a little too late. He stood with his hands in his pockets, looking for the subway.

“Get ready. I hear it coming. Billy, hold my hand,” said Mom. Billy did as he was told. I stood right behind the yellow warning line and looked down the tunnel.

“Gotcha!” yelled Joe, and he quickly grabbed me and yanked me back.

“Joe!” I screamed. “Don't do that!”

Mom gave Billy to dad and stalked over to us. She grabbed us by the arms, holding on tight, glaring at each of us in turn. “Rebecca Elizabeth! Joseph Johnson! Knock that off!" she hissed through gritted teeth, loud enough for us to hear. She was practically blowing our eardrums out. "I swear, Joseph, you don't even act your age, and Rebecca; you are one step away from staying in your room the entire time we are here, young lady! There are people around, and you’d better start acting like you're out in public! Do you understand?” Mom scolded. Joe and I nodded our heads stiffly. I wasn't surprised that Joe was scared of her sometimes, too; she can get really mean, in the bossy-mom kind of way. She then left to go stand back by dad.

Just then, the subway came flying by and my brunette hair flew right in my face. I moved it out of the way, waiting for the train to slow down. When the door opened, I walked inside. The rest of the family followed.

Even though the subway smelled considerably better, it was crowded, so Billy and I were the only ones who were able to sit down. Mom, Dad, and Joe all had to stand up and hang on to the rings on the ceiling. Billy was on my left, and out of the corner of my eye I could see a man on my right. Well, not exactly a man, he looked about my age, seventeen. I could just barely see a hood over his face and a black bandanna with white designs around his forehead.

“We're the fourth stop,” said Dad.

I looked out the window at the wall and the subway lights. At every stop, I saw all of the people waiting for their train.

“This is it,” Dad declared.

As soon as the train slowed down, we all got up and waited for the doors to open. I looked back at the guy who sat next to me and he glared back. I smiled, but he just scowled and looked away, getting up to wait by the doors.

"Jeez, for someone who's so cute, he isn't very friendly," I muttered.

As soon as we got out of the station, we entered some more of the city. I looked up to see clothes-lines hanging in between buildings. I looked around and noticed that it looked just like Earth, except for that there weren't any blue skies or clouds, but it was quite bright from all of the street lights and stars. Ahead of me, I saw a Tram Stop where Mom, Dad, Joe and Billy were waiting. As I came over to them, the tramcar came to a stop next to us. Dad got on the train, and we all followed suit.

As soon as we all sat down, I asked, “Dad, do you have a camera?”

“Sorry, sweetie, it's at the hotel. You can take pictures when we get there.”

"Okay." As I looked around, I noticed that it resembled the picture of downtown from the brochure. I relaxed on the seat I was sitting on, and suddenly felt tired. I guess the trip here took a lot out of me. My eyes drooped a little more and a little more, until I finally fell asleep.
Last edited by C.J. Mustang on Mon May 19, 2008 2:51 am, edited 10 times in total.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:27 am
lone-flower says...

I really liked this story. But we have a rule saying you have to review two stories first before posting your own. Please try not to break it again.

Also, this story isn't properly spaced. Just hit enter twice for each paragraph because sometimes you can't see where this paragraph ends and another begins.

And one more thing. You posted two chapters. I'm not saying that's wrong. Just... inconvenient for some readers. And a lot of them would be turned off by the length of this story. Try to post them separately next time.

Okay. So here's a few mistakes I've found.

He is probably one of the most important people, I thought. “Subways? Like, where creepy old men spend the night?”

Since you're already speaking in first person, you don't need to say I thought anymore because every narrative is actually the person's thoughts.

“Yeah,” said Joe, [s]the oldest of my other brother and I[/s] the oldest of the three of us, “Creepy old men that like to kill people and do drugs and stuff.”

Joe rubbed the spot where I elbowed him.

There were a number of [s]turn-styles[/s] turnstiles lined up by the booth

I had picked up a brochure of the city, which is called Zyon, on the way and sat on a bench and started to look at it.

This is phrased a little awkwardly. Reword it.

“Rebecca Elizabeth! Joseph Johnson! Knock that off! I swear, Joseph, you don't even act your age, and Rebecca; you are one step away from staying in your room the whole trip, young lady! There are people around, and you’d better start acting like you're out in public!” Mom scolded.

Ok. I just found this to be a bit weird. She's telling them to behave properly in public by yelling at them in public? That's a little... strange. Try to scold them a little differently. Maybe grab Rebecca's wrist and scold her by whispering with gritted teeth into her ear. That would work.

I waited for the train to slow down [s]when[/s] then the door opened and I went inside

Jeez, for someone who's so cute, he isn't very friendly, I thought as I got off of the train.

Again, don't use 'I thought'.

Dad got on the train, and we all followed suit.

Ermm... You were speaking about trams :wink: .

"Okay." Hmm, I thought. This looks like Zyons' Downtown. I relaxed on the seat I was sitting on, and suddenly felt tired. I guess the trip here took a lot out of me. My eyes drooped a little more and a little more, until I finally fell asleep.

'I thought' thing again.

Joe sighed. “I can’t win. I just can’t win.” I smiled.

This was a bit confusing at first. Who said this? Put 'I smiled.' in another paragraph.

[s]After[/s] a couple stops after we got on the train

I shut my eyes, ready for the blow, when suddenly, the man who stole my purse came practically flying out of the sky and landed right in between me and the man who cornered me, which was a very tight squeeze.

If her eyes are closed, how could she recognize who her savior was?

[s]most[/s] ugliest guy of my life

There. Still, nice work :D.

Keep writing,
Ysa
They tell me I'm a lazy lump of waste.

I'm just too humble to show them my genius :D

Want a review? PM me!

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:10 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Welcome to Young Writers Society!

Yes, there is a 2:1 required ratio for posting your own work. (You have to leave 2 reviews for someone else's work to every 1 piece of your work you submit.) So hop to it and leave some reviews!

Overall, this story didn't really grab me. Your characters seemed like they would be interesting, but I just got lost in the information that you were dumping on us. In the very first few paragraphs, you explain the reasons they're on Mars and everyone's reactions to the decision. However, it would be much more effective if you showed us their reactions, rather than just told us about it.

Examples:

Telling = bad

Martha hated her jumpsuit. And her job. And her life.

Showing = good

Martha scratched at her thigh, where her jumpsuit was riding up and itching again. Stupid thing. Her boss had promised her a new set over three weeks ago. What had been his words again?

I swear, Pilker, I'll have a size eight, neon orange zip-up - with the new nametag read out feature - on your bunk by tomorrow.

Three weeks ago. Had it ever appeared? The fact that she was still wearing this one was answer enough. She sank down lower into her pilot's seat. Just another day in paradise.

Yeah, not the greatest writing ever, but do you see the difference?

SO MANY YEARS OLDER THAN ME!

All caps are extremely irritating to read. I would highly recommend getting rid of them.

After I realized he was the same boy who sat next to me earlier today on the subway train, he jumped high into the air, higher than anyone I've ever seen before! Then he disappeared onto the next building.

That first sentence is one honkin' long sentence and it loses a bit of it's dramatic impact because of that. Also, the second one doesn't have much punch either. All in all, the excitement of the kid jumping 30(?) feet or so gets lost. A better rewording would be something like:

I realized that it was the same kind who had sat next to me on the train. He sneered at me and before I could reach out and stop him, he had started to run again. Then he was flying in the air. He had jumped, but that was higher than I had ever seen anyone jump. He was on top of the freaking building! Landing like a cat on the top, he grinned down at me and then disappeared, racing along the roofs of the row of buildings.

(Again, probably not the best of writing on my part...)

Anyway, I agree that you should work on your spacing. As is, the reader is confronted by huge chunks of text that take up the entire page without respite. Hit 'Enter' twice between paragraphs and new lines of dialogue by new characters. For example:

"You are such a moron," Kathy screamed at her brother.

"Yeah? Well... you're a... doofus-head," he finished lamely.

Spaaaaaaacing issssssssss yourrrrrr frieeeeeeeeend... *swirly eyes*

I suppose that's enough for now.

*thumbs up*

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 am
Summerless says...

Try spacing it out more so it's easier to read. Great dialogue for the mom and the narrator---I can see the characterization so vividly.

I agree with GryphonFledgling, though.
Try showing more. Telling is okay but it gets boring to read after a while.

Hope that helps,
- Summerless

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed May 07, 2008 12:16 am
JFW1415 says...

Don’t worry – I was good this time! I didn’t read the critiques until after finished my critique. When I did, though, I saw many lines that have been improved immensely. Great! Now I get to shred up a whole new piece, and I won’t sound like a broken record. ;)

Also, sorry about the wait. I promised I would critique this ages ago, then forgot. Feel free to poke me repeatedly if I do so again. ;)

This didn't have enough errors for my fancy picture critiques, so I'm doing a paragraph (well, more like line) critique. It's a bit easier on me. (Switching a four-five page story onto Picture It, then photobucket, and finally onto YWS isn’t worth it when so few lines to have comments.)

Nit-Picks

She wore a violet dress and kept her hair up in a bun that was partway falling out.

Pure telling right here. It’s just random information that we don’t really need, which can kill a story. This is your opening sentence – begin with a punch!

If she believes her mother’s dress is ugly, maybe she can blush when a hot guy passes? If her mom is the type to get freaked out over something small, maybe we can see her running around, her hair falling out of her bun?

Relate descriptions to emotions or actions – it helps a lot. ‘I smile softly as I see him looking over at me, twirling my hair on my finger. He turns and elbows his friend in the stomach, nodding over to me. Their eyes land on me again, and they laugh. My smile falls. [New paragraph.] “Oops! Sorry about that!” my mom said, backing into me. Her hair was falling out of its bun and onto her frilly purple dress, giving her the impression of [a something.] I glanced back to the two boys, who were still staring at my mother, and groaned.’ Sure, it’s not the best example, but it’s better than ‘She wore a violet dress and kept her hair up in a bun that was partway falling out.’

My dad is a well-known businessman, and he brought [s]me, [/s]my mom, [s]and [/s]my two brothers, and me here for this job he went to a couple months ago.

When I read this, I believed they were moving away. Then, when I read on, I realized that it was just a business trip. Maybe rework this to make it easier to understand?

Also, this is another showing vs. telling. Don’t tell us he’s a well-known business man – let many men in suits stop him to discuss the trip with him.

"...so there's no one to hang out with except for my geeky younger brother while Joe's out gawking at girls."

Do people really go into this much depth? Not often – I think it’s just your excuse to show us this. Slip it in during later chapters – we don’t need to know everything in chapter one.

"Yes, I did, sweetie," he said, taking [s]ahold[/s]a hold of my bag.

Underlined Part: This comma should be here, but I’d drop it – it slows the pace WAY too much. (Breaking grammar rules is part of writing! ;))

"Yippee," I said, in a monotone voice. “So, where's the car?”

Maybe show it instead? Rolling her eyes, taking the bag back, etc.

"...that are run by electricity."

Random much?

“Yeah,” said Joe, the oldest of my other brother and I.[s] ,[/s]

This is Billy, an eight-year-old who looks up to Joe and believes anything he says, even if it's a giant scorpion in the microwave. Scared him half to death. It took a half an hour to calm him down.

This, again, is showing not telling. Let’s see what I can come up with…

‘…asked Billy, looking up at Joe with trusting eyes. [New paragraph.] Joe laughed. “Yeah, Billy, just like that giant scorpion in the microwave.” Billy’s eyes widened in terror, and I reached over to slap Joe. [New paragraph.] “Joe! Stop teasing Billy – you know he believes anything you say. Aren’t you, Joe?”’

See how I used character interaction instead of telling, though? Use dialogue and actions to show their history. Does Billy look up to them? Does the MC find Joe annoying? Is Joe immature?

Also, show us how old Billy is through his actions and dialogue – don’t say it. And be careful – you tended to make him sound a bit too young in some areas.

“Joe's a big boy,”

She says this to an eight year old? You are making him seem a bit too young – at least have him yell at her for treating him like a baby.

"...So what, is it, like, a fancy part of town and a shitty part of town?”

The commas bug me – it took a while to understand that this was ‘teen talk.’ Maybe ‘So what, it’s like some fancy part of town and a shitty part of town or something?’

“Ooh, you got told,”

Yes, a while ago… Seems a bit delayed.

“Gotcha!” yelled Joe, and he quickly grabbed me by the waist and yanked me back.

“Joe!” I screamed. “Don't do that!”

Is it just me, or are they acting like kids with crushes on each other rather than siblings?

Mom stalked over to us and grabbed us by the arms, holding on tight.

What about Billy? She was so worried about holding his hand earlier…

Just then, the subway came flying by and my brunette hair flew right in my face and I had to hold my skirt down to keep it from flying up.

It’s not that fast…

"Jeez, for someone who's so cute, he isn't very friendly," I muttered.

Wouldn’t he hear? She’s pretty close…

(although it was for a tram, so I guess it would be considered a Tram Stop)

Parentheses are fine, but when you only have one set, it’s rather annoying…

"Okay." As [s]i[/s]I looked around..."

Overall Comments

Jeez! This was about three pages long (with the font I use, which is small,) and I didn’t get bored the whole time! Usually my mind wanders halfway through, but it didn’t here – that’s great. It means you kept me hooked.

Several things to work on.

A New Planet?

They’re on Mars – that’s kind of a big deal. You can’t just throw in one sentence about that and call it a day. What’s it look like? What are the people like there? Is it different at all? Are the styles different? If we can go from one continent to another and find the styles strange, imagine what going to another planet would be like!

Relationships

The relationships between the characters needs to be a little fine-tuned. It was definitely there, which is great, but it was a little inconsistent. Billy kept being treated too young, Joe and the MC seemed like they were flirting, stuff like that. Also, define the parents’ personalities and stick with them.

Bring Me Closer

You’re writing in first person – it’s not that hard to bring me there. What’s it feel like? Look like? Smell like? Sound like? Ask yourself thousands of questions at every turn, and answer some of them.

For example, you had no sound, besides dialogue. Being on a subway is loud – talk about the drone of voices. Can she not hear her family over it? Does it drown out her rude comment? Also, subways don’t always smell the best. All those bodies that close – ew. What’s it smell like? Sweat? Smoke? Perfume?

Go find one of kitty15’s critiques and read that. She goes into so much depth on details.

The thing is, you do have details. It’s just the matter of doing it so we feel a bit closer. (Of course, some spots in here do need more details and expansion.) But you are writing in first person. Use thoughts and emotions – they make us connect with the MC so much more.

Names

Did you name the MC? If so, I don’t remember it, which isn’t good. Be careful with the names. I had to keep scanning the page just to tell who was Billy and who was Joe – that’s only two characters! Make them distinct, but don’t repeat their names too often.

Good luck, and happy editing!

PM me for anything!

~JFW1415

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu May 08, 2008 1:58 am
TNCowgirl says...

Other then what everyone else already pointed out. You also need to capatilize letters after a period. And when in dialoge after someone finishes a sentence put a period, not a comma. Like:

"He's a big boy," Dad said.

is supposed to be.

"He's a big boy." Dad said.

Get it?

TNC
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu May 08, 2008 2:32 am
JFW1415 says...

TNCowgirl wrote:Other then what everyone else already pointed out. You also need to capatilize letters after a period. And when in dialoge after someone finishes a sentence put a period, not a comma. Like:

is supposed to be.

"He's a big boy." Dad said.

Get it?

TNC

Sorry to argue, but this is incorrect.

It is supposed to be:

Or:

"He's a big boy," he said.

Since the 'said' is describing how he is saying it, you need a comma and a lowercase letter (unless it is a proper noun.) If it were something like:

"He is amazing." He nods.

It would be a period and a capital. You don't nod words.

Just thought I'd let you know. :wink:

~JFW1415

Edit: Go check out Snoink's article on it. All writer's need to memorize this: Here.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu May 08, 2008 11:12 pm
Writing for love is a pas says...

AHHH! I really liked it. People need to stop being so harsh. Everyone pointed out everything, so I guess I'll give you some praise.
*Good description
*Thanks for mentioning a cute boy
*I like the tough mom character. We can all relate.
No where to run...baby let's hide. Take her in your arms on a chilling winter's night. Watch the stars twinkle and glisten. Know that you've found the one person that will listen. ~*(ME)*~

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sat May 10, 2008 2:34 pm
aestar101 says...

I liked it. It was a nice start, but I don't get gangstas in space thing. I think it is kinda weird combination, but it kinda works. Will this relationship have raical prejustes because of the streotypical gansta. That would be an awesome way t o shake things up :D
Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose. - Evan Esar
Like my opinions a lot? Let me critique you. topic29146.html

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu May 15, 2008 9:00 pm
Rydia says...

Comments and suggestions first:

“Rebecca! Dad's waiting! Let's go!” said Mom, trying to juggle all of her bags at once. [I'd suggest 'Dad's waiting, Let's go!' so that your dialogue sounds more natural.]

I glanced at her but then my eye caught someone else in the background.I [Space before 'I' is necessary.] put on a quick smile as I saw a boy looking over at me, twirling my hair [s]on[/s] around my finger.

Their eyes glanced at something beside me, and then landed on me again, and they laughed. My smile fell.

Her hair was falling out of its bun and onto her wrinkled purple dress, showing the amount of stress and worry she'd [s]had on the way here[/s] suffered. I glanced back to the two boys, who were still staring at my mother, and groaned, and, putting my hand up to cover my face, grabbed one of my mom's bags.

We were in the Mars Spaceport, where we had just got off the spaceship that [s]took[/s] brought us here.

"This is going to be the stupidest trip ever! None of my friends are here." [Comma rather than full stop.] I complained.

"Yippee," I said, in a monotone voice.“So, where's the car?” I asked as dad put my bag in the chute. [Space after 'voice.' is necessary.]

When I called for him, he shook their hands[s] with each other[/s] and they went their seperate ways.

I tried to find a pebble to pick out, but it was completely smooth.

"No one knows what it is." [Comma rather than full stop. You do this a lot and I haven't pointed out each and every time so you might want to check through and correct them all.] he said, coming over to stand by me. "The people who built this city tried using cement, but it wouldn't harden. [s]then[/s] Then they found this stuff in a crater, added water, and used it to replace cement.

I also noticed that besides the sky, the ground, and some of the buildings, it mostly looked like earth. [Capital letter for Earth.] After we crossed the street, I saw a big sign that said 'Subway', and we all squeezed in down a flight of steps to a subway booth.

I had picked up a brochure of the city on the way, so I sat on a bench and started to look through it.

“Excuse me? Watch [s]you're[/s] your language, young lady.” [Again, comma rather than full stop.] said Mom.

I looked around and noticed that it looked just like earth, [Capital for Earth.] except for that there weren't any blue skies or clouds, but it was quite bright from all of the street lights and stars.

This is good. I think that you could add more characterization and show your character's emotions on a higher level but in general, it's a well-written introduction. I think I'll read the next part before I give my general suggestions.
Last edited by Rydia on Thu May 15, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu May 15, 2008 9:06 pm
adeleay says...

I thought your story was quite good. I think to improve it you could use a little less dialogue and a little more description :)
Another mistake is when you accidently change tenses and say "he works with a very important company dealer" instead of 'he worked with'

Keep going though :)

Adele :)

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 pm
Demeter says...

This was OK. One thing that really disturbed me was the weird space thing. So they are in Jupiter? It's more of a sci-fi for me. And you didn't really explain that, is it somehow self-evident that they are out of the Earth?

"Watch you're language, young lady." --> "Watch your language"

You should get your readers very enthusiastic from the beginning. I don't really feel like continuing to the second chapter. By editing this a little more and maybe adding some interesting descriptions (we don't even know what the characters look like), you could have a story I'd bother to read from starting to ending. I'm sorry, but I'm just not very excited.

Best wishes and keep writing
Demeter
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson