Young Writers Society

A Sacred Pact, Part I

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:29 am
Mrs Elizabeth Darcy says...

"Melody, do come! We're already late!"

"Wait a moment."

Harmony sighed and flopped on the stoop. Knowing Melody, a moment meant eternity.

Harmony's real name was Marguerite, but everybody called her Harmony because she was so different from her sister. Melody, tall, red haired, blue eyed, not particularly pretty, had come out at fifteen and had had no end of dull, uninteresting suitors. She was now twenty eight, with no prospects for marriage, which made her immensely popular with the dull, uninteresting people. She was also a perfectly behaved lady, no quirks or oddities of character at all.

Harmony, at thirteen, was the world's prettiest girl, except that she had freckles and a tan as a result of loving the outdoors and despising her bonnet. She had black curls and large dark eyes, and planned to wait until her sister was married, which, she was confident, would be never, to come out. Melody had told her she might come out when she chose, provided she was older than fourteen, but Harmony thought boys were dull, and hoped never to have anything to do with them, unless her story could be exactly that of a romantic heroine---without the touching death or the joining of a convent involved.

Melody came out in a quarter of an hour, straightening her gloves. "Marguerite Lucas," she began without looking up, "if you are not down off that tree in ten seconds, I shall be obliged to threaten you." Harmony laughed as she scampered down the tree. "Only threaten me?"

"An idle threat is worth ten fulfillments. Where in the world are your shoes?"

Harmony landed on the ground. "Over there." She gestured guiltily.

"Well, go put them on, child, what are you thinking? A lady never---"

"Never shows her feet, yes, I know." She sighed and went to fetch them.

They reached the theatre fifteen minutes before the show was supposed to start. "I told you we'd be on time," Melody said, smiling. They opened the door of the carriage and were received by crowds of people who paid them no attention at all and a few who did. Melody's crowd was made up of boys and girls mixed, and Harmony's was all girls.

Janet Rock, a pretty young girl some years younger than Melody, was one of her particular friends, and very close they were. She was always at her friend's side with a smile and a beau to introduce. "Melody, this is John, my cousin." "Melody, Mr. Stevens." "Melody, Sir George Knightley." "Melody, may I introduce Lord Tupsend," etc. Today was no different.

"Melody, there is some one very particular I would like to introduce you to," Janet whispered.

"Of course there is. Let me guess---he's twenty-five, an extremely respectable clergyman, single, and exceedingly handsome."

"No."

"Well, then, he's forty-nine, either an old bachelor or a widower with fifty children, very stout and very generous with heaps of money just waiting to be lavished upon the first girl willing to marry him."

"Wrong again. He is thirty-one and has been over half the globe, no children or job at all, except he owns a large estate in Devonshire which he has to tend, which is why he's in England---oh, and he's asked me to the picnic!"

"Hm..."

"Do come and meet him!"

"All right, Janet, all right."

Janet pushed her way through the crowd, tugging at Melody's arm. "Oh, there he is!" she exclaimed, hopping up to see over the crowd. "Janet, for heaven's sake, don't jump about so! and try to keep your voice down."

"All right, but it is dreadfully difficult to see, though he is so tall." She dragged her friend through the people without so much as an excuse me. Melody had to apologize multiple times for handkerchiefs and pocketbooks upset.

"Jane, do be careful!"

"Come, he is getting away!"

When they reached him, the lady next to him had a large feather in her hat that she was not prepared to brush away from Melody's face, so she couldn't see him.

"Melody, this is Mr. Justin Kay. My friend, Miss Lucas."

"Justin Kay?" she cried out. At the same second, he exclaimed, "Melody Lucas?"

Melody, with some difficulty, managed to get the feather out of her face without shoving anyone over.

When the two saw each other, they both looked absolutely astonished. Her face went entirely white, and her eyes widened to the maximum blueness, while his face filled with mad, pure, intense joy. "Absolutely delighted, Miss Lucas," he cried, and there was such a look about his eyes that showed he would like to catch her up.

Her face slowly returned to its normal demure setting, though somewhat harder looking than usual. She didn't even curtsey to him, but instead raised her head high. "I wish I could say the same. I am not at all delighted to see you, and wish never to see you again. Please do not speak to me. Janet, I'm sorry I gave you all this trouble; I do not want to see this man at all. Goodbye." And she walked off, tossing her hair.
Last edited by Mrs Elizabeth Darcy on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:26 am
Sometimesinbetween says...

This was very well written! :D However, I think you should space out your paragraphs. Also, when a new person is talking you need a new paragraph. :)
PM if you post more!
-Sometimes-
"I do not believe an author has truly succeeded unless or until he has caused his readers to laugh and to weep."
-Anonymous

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:32 am
kittykat says...

Welcome to YWS! :D

First thing that I'd like to say is that since there isn't any spaces before a paragraph to make it easier to read, seperate each paragraph. Don't bunch them up together. Also, when someone is talking, make each sentace like a paragraph. The first time you had two sentances of people talking right next to each other like that, I thought it was the same person talking.

It should look something like this:

"Melody, there is some one very particular I would like to introduce you to," Janet whispered.

"Of course there is. Let me guess---he's five-and-twenty, an extremely respectable clergyman, single, and exceedingly handsome."

"No."

"Well, then, he's nine-and-forty, either an old bachelor or a widower with fifty children, very stout and very generous with heaps of money just waiting to be lavished upon the first girl willing to marry him."

"Wrong again. He is one-and-thirty and has been over half the globe, no children or job at all, except he owns a large estate in Devonshire which he has to tend. That's why he's in England. And he's asked me to the picnic." <-- you should probably change, "That's why he's in England. And he's asked me to the picnic." to "That's why he's in England, and he's asked me to the picnic."

"Hm." <-- change the period to a comma

"Do come and meet him!"

"All right, Janet, all right."

Just wondering, but what does 9 and 40 mean? Or 1 and 30? Anyway, it was pretty good, especially the ending. ^_^ Hope I get to see more of your work around YWS!

-kittykat
Our happiness here is all vain glory,
This false world is but transitory,
The flesh is weak, the Fiend is slee
Timor mortis conturbat me.
--William Dunbar

Random avatar

Reviews: 30
Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:41 pm
happybear says...

Congrats my dear friend!! You've done much better then me!!! I will say though that you did introduce Janet as Jane that confused me, you should fix it. You had a few little blunders such as that but if you read through it carefuly, make new paraghraphs for each talker, and space it out so it easier to read then I believe you will have an amazing knock out story! I love how you discribe her so clearly but in not TOO much detail! A great story with lot's of potential fixing it should be a breese! Keep writing you have talent!

Me your dear friend and the Happiest bear you ever did see
___________________________________________________________________________________

"Supam est in aura!"

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman