z

Young Writers Society

Café 2 [Edited!]

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:28 pm
Izzyeyore says...

**Thank you guys so much for reading this, it means a lot to me that you do. Wanna know what would mean more to me? *eh?eh?* commenting! yes, folks, if you would just step right up and write down your impressions or criticisms on this very rough draft I would love you forever! Thanks again for taking the time to read it, if this really long comment hasn't already put you off this story :roll: whoops...**

WARNING: POV SWITCH!

I sighed, frustrated with myself. It was happening again, the inevitable argument after the evitable slip-up on my part.

“How is this concept so hard for you to understand? Look at me! Why? Why, why, why can’t you just keep your mouth shut so that we can finally live in peace?” Her face twisted with suppressed emotion as she pounded at my chest before sliding down to sit on the damp cobblestones at our feet, leaning against the wall behind us as if asking it for moral and emotional support in dealing with me, the one thing, at this time, that was keeping her from obtaining the perfect life that she had never had, and, with me in the picture, probably wouldn’t have for a very long time.

I snapped out of my silent self-remonstrations at this point, when she switched to the pleading tone that made my heart alternately melt and then speed up, as if it were trying to decide between making me, with a painful twist, wonder what I could do to help her and making me go over the options for what I could do to defend her from some hidden force that was causing her pain.

“Listen, Ja—Shirley” Whoops, that was close a dire thought sinuously wormed its way into my head Too close, don’t let it happen again. “Remember, I’m new to this whole secrecy thing, I’m not like you, I can’t just drop my entire life, my established identity, my, well, everything, each time someone finds out about us, about who we are, who I became when I joined you.”

With this, I slid down the rough-hewn stone wall behind us, crouching next to her. Her silhouette, outlined by a faint blue halo from the full moon overhead seemed to droop, making me feel as if a powerful wave of remorse was washing over me and drowning all my senses. I reached out to her, enveloping her in my arms as she collapsed completely.

She nodded and began to cry, sobbing softly into my denim jacket when all the while I hugged her to myself tightly, ignoring the pain I was causing my bruised and battered body.

I shook my head hard, trying to rid myself of the thought that I was causing her this pain, this inner pain that I couldn’t quench with a deluge of love, this deep ache that no amount of hugs could soothe. To say the least, this made me feel like a horrendous person. I shook my head again, vainly attempting to calm my troubled musings Happy thoughts, happy thoughts!

She misunderstood the action and was instantly contrite, “I’m sorry,” she looked down at her bent knees, “I keep on forgetting that you’re not used to doing this. Hiding, I mean. I should have warned you in the very beginning to stay away from me, that it wasn’t safe if they knew about you, your connection to me, what we have. But you were my drug, the one thing that kept me from going insane and letting them have me, letting all traces of normality go.”

I looked down at her, trying not to let the throbbing ache her weight leaning me into the wall behind us was causing my bruised body show on my face, “Don’t worry about it, I made a mistake, let your name, that one forbidden fruit slip off of my tongue, and thus I paid the price. Luckily, it wasn’t as bad as last time. At least I can walk, right?”

My feeble attempt at humor withered and died before me, shriveling into a pitiful puddle at my feet. Another swell of guilt washed over me, why did I have to remind her of last time? Trying to make things better, I kissed the top of her head and breathed in her ear, “We’ll be ok, don’t worry, we always are.”

I lifted her chin with my index finger until her tearstained face was looking at me, and tried to smile reassuringly at her, feeling the bones of my face creak and seem to rearrange themselves for the second time that night painfully.

We both heaved a deep sigh, turned, and went inside, me to clean myself up a bit so that I didn’t look like a walking undead, and she to return to her job.

The rich scent of coffee swirled around in the night air as the door closed behind us, whipping up eddies of air to form a light breeze that tickled the noses of those who had been watching.

I changed a lot of this, now that I reread it and reworked it it's not quite so terrible! Sorry about that, guys!
Last edited by Izzyeyore on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 pm
elephantwalrus says...

Eee! So many mysteries still! I can't wait to find out what happens!!!
So, here is my critique. Truthfully, I liked the imagery in Cafe 1 better; the verbs were stronger in that one. On the other hand, I love the new mystery that surfaces in this draft, with the whole secrecy thing. I'm here sitting in my chair thinking "oh wow, what's going to happen, wait, breathe. Wait, what's going to happen..."

The only thing I didn't like about this piece is that we're in the guy's head a bit too much. Maybe instead of listening to him beat himself up about things he's said, you could explain the look on the girl's face when he says those things. Right now, the thoughts interrupt the scene, and it's such a pretty scene!

The rich scent of coffee swirled around in the night air as the door closed behind us, whipping up eddies of air to form a light breeze that tickled the noses of those who had been watching.

I pretty much love this sentence. "whipping" and "tickled" are marvelous verb choices. The fact that people were watching them makes it really creepy :) . I really like how this is developing! Write more! :D
My main project until Script Frenzy is an experiment using blog posts between four characters as episodes of a common story. You can read this work as it progresses at http://knowallchronicles.blogspot.com/.

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:30 pm
ashleylee says...

So many answers left unsaid! I can't wait until you post more! It is just such a high suspensful story, it keeps the reader wanting more. Nice work! :)
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

62 Reviews

Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:41 pm
Izzyeyore says...

Ok, thanks a lot for the comment and crit, I'm trying to rework this chapter, and yeah... I was just experimenting with something new, etc.

Haha yeah, I agree, this chapter is definitely not polished enough, I'll try and put the updated one up later tonight or tomorrow if I can finish it...
My policy on life: you're wasting it by being sad and making others sad, so hug someone today! :D

62 Reviews

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:31 am
Izzyeyore says...

Ok, it's reworked :D

any second opinions? *hopeful look*
My policy on life: you're wasting it by being sad and making others sad, so hug someone today! :D

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:02 pm
elephantwalrus says...

The second draft is definitely better. I liked how you explain why he got beat up; it adds depth to the girl, the unknown antagonist, and himself. Your description in the second draft of this reminds me of the style of description in the first one, and I like it a lot. The power of description is strong in you.

Keep working on it! I can't wait to find out what happens!
My main project until Script Frenzy is an experiment using blog posts between four characters as episodes of a common story. You can read this work as it progresses at http://knowallchronicles.blogspot.com/.

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:39 pm
ashleylee says...

Oh, this is MUCH better. You answered all those questions I had been wonering about from the last time I read it. Great Job!

PM me if you continue (and I hope you do!)
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard