z

Young Writers Society

On Top of Starry Hill Chapter 5

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 am
azntwinz2 says...

The sky darkened to an opaque blackness with only the occasional pocket of light spotting it. Tae Yeon pressed her foot down harder on the accelerator; she didn’t know driving up a mountain would be this difficult.
“Are you sure you’re not some serial killer who wants to bury me?” Tae Yeon complained as she craned her head over to peer outside her window. The dirt trail was not quite wide enough for a car, more like a tractor, and the sharp, jutting rocks had probably punctured her tires already.
“Oh quit the hysteria, we’re almost there.” He too stared intently at the surroundings, as though looking for some familiar landmark.
“Right there, park next to that gate,” he directed, pointing to a surprisingly well polished fence. The house stood alone, slightly titled forward along the mountain’s steep incline. It was a small, dainty thing from what Tae Yeon could make out in the darkness. She noticed the two windows, and the small, narrow door in between - details that tickled the edges of her memory.
“Come on, get out already,” Won Soo whispered from outside. His feet slushed through the thin snow. The tall trees caught most of it, so Tae Yeon and her tiny toes did not suffer too much.
Won Soo beckoned her to climb over a broken part of the fence. She wondered how he had managed to see that in the dark. With difficulty, Tae Yeon quickly scrambled after Won Soo.
He led her to the backyard of the house, which was pretty much desolate except for a medium sized wooden lean-to of sorts and a metal bin filled with snow.
“We have to hike a bit from here,” he said, and pointed to another, much smaller trail that snaked further up to an unknown place. Tae Yeon’s face faltered as she stared down at her much abused toes. Only a few minutes in the snow and they blushed angrily.
Won Soo sighed, and then pulled out the scratchy blanket to envelope her in it. He then crouched on the snowy ground and said, “Hurry up.”
“What?”
“Get on,” he said impatiently. Tae Yeon laughed shyly before stumbling upon him. The heat from his back warmed her comfortably, and she felt a satisfaction she did not quite recognize.
“You’re heavy,” he panted. She laughed again and tightened her arms around his neck.
“You offered,” she shot back and burrowed her freezing face, making sure to keep the blanket secure.
It was not a long walk, yet Tae Yeon found herself dozing slightly. Won Soo hummed a simple tune as he carefully hiked in the dark. Tae Yeon mused about his sure footings,he knew the mountains like the back of his hand, but she found herself too tired to question him.
“Hey,” his soft voice floated into her ear, “wake up.” She rubbed her eyelids and looked around. They had arrived at a porch, circled by tall pine trees and a row of sturdy posts. The air felt different to Tae Yeon’s nose, the really clear and ticklish kind that made her realize Starry Hill was not a part of South Korea, much less the world.
Won Soo pulled off the blanket and spread it out onto the snowy floor. He then placed his own coat over Tae Yeon and sat down on the cloth.
“Come on, lie on your back,” he instructed, doing so himself. As soon as she did, Tae Yeon gasped in surprise. Somehow the stars had leaped right at her, so close that she stretched out an arm to touch them. They twinkled merrily on the enormous sky, and she imagined them blowing star dust kisses at her.
“It’s magical, isn’t it?”
“Why the hell is this place not a national treasure?” Tae Yeon asked in shock.
“Shh, just concentrate on one star, and ask him your question. He’ll run along and get you your answer.”
“How long does it take him?”
“Not sure, depends on how badly you want it, I guess,” he said enigmatically. Tae Yeon sighed softly, and gazed at the stars. She searched for the brightest, biggest, and most dependable one. In the end, she picked a tiny, sparkling star that danced flamboyantly in front of her vision.
“Alright, get along,” she whispered, and felt Won Soo chuckle appreciatively.
They lay that way, silent for hours. She noted mentally that Won Soo was right - it had never been a question of why, but how. How could she solve this mess of a wedding she had made?
About to tell Won Soo this, she looked over and saw his pensive face staring intently at the night sky. She wondered what dilemma Won Soo had. Tae Yeon realized something strange.
From the beginning, he had never seemed like a beggar to her, though she had no earthly idea what a beggar should seem like; Won Soo sitting like a statue made of snow had seemed just like her. Just as lost, and just as alone.
With no idea why, the why didn’t matter anymore, Tae Yeon snuggled her pale face closer to his and grabbed his cold hand. She wondered how many times Won Soo had been up here, searching for that answer desperately and sludging back down with disappointed shoulders.
Won Soo stiffened, and then relaxed as he tucked her head under his chin.
“Thanks for bringing me here,” she said, her voice muffled by his chest.
“The little sucker’s back already, huh?” Won Soo asked, his voice colored with a tinge of disappointment.
“We can wait,” she replied. Won Soo nodded, and they lay as silent as death.
They soon rose, however, as Won Soo shook his head sadly. After they packed up the items, he slid his hand into Tae Yeon’s and slowly led her down the mountainside.
When they reached the backyard, Won Soo quietly said, “We can come again next time.”
Tae Yeon stopped in her tracks.
“What?” He asked.
“We can’t come next time,” she paused, “I’m going back. I’m going to explain everything to my fiance, my parents, his parents. I’m going to fix everything I’ve screwed up.” She looked at him sorrowfully, and tried to communicate her meaning. How Starry Hill had taught her to face the answer she had known for a long time now.
“What? So this never existed then?” Won Soo asked angrily. His voice resounded through the cold surroundings, “How typical of you rich girls. Scared to damage your reputation?”
“And you’re not going to be back next time either,” she said. As she was about to explain, a low growl cut through and a shadowy figure emerged from the lean-to.
Won Soo whipped his head back in alarm. He slowly approached the figure. It was a Jin Do dog, its silvery white coat blended into the snowy background. The huge hunting dog dug its paws in deep as it raised its ears threateningly.
“Shh,” Won Soo cooed softly, “come on boy. Shh, go back in.” The dog showed no signs of backing down as it growled menacingly again.
“That’s it. Maru back inside,” Won Soo said, and pointed to the lean-to. “Maru, in.” The dog whimpered sadly and then shuffled back into its dog house.
Tae Yeon froze, and then laughed softly. “Maru?” She had heard of that name and imagined this house before.
“Park Won Soo, you liar.”
Please make sure to check out my portfolio! Any comments are immensely desired!

1504 Reviews

Reviews: 1504
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:38 am
IcyFlame says...

I suddenly understand what the epilogue I read stood for! What I don't understand though, is why you have written only six chapters. You could create so much more!
I can't find any errors as such, your grammer was good and so was your spelling. It was just awfully short! Is it a novella?
Sorry for the useless review, I wasn't a lot of help.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:05 am
AngelKnight900 says...

:'( boo-hoo. This is the second to last chapter. Like the others one, this one is amazing and I'm so curious of what's going to happen when she tells her family and fiancee of what happened but I only got one question. Why does she run away with a complete stranger? Is it because she's so desperate. I'm starting to agree with Park here? Was she only running away with him for the ride? So many questions...so little time. I'm going to read the next chapter now XD
True confidence leaves no room for jealousy. When you know your are great, you have no need to hate.
-Nicki Minaj

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
— Solomon Short