z

Young Writers Society

Plain Extraordinary

Reviews: 3
Tue May 06, 2008 7:16 pm
SeptemberRain says...

This is the new novel I'm writing. I already have three or four chapter written. It's really not that good, but whatever. :)

One

The first time I see her, she is standing at the bus stop holding a polka-dot umbrella in her hand.

I am standing in the driveway of my apartment building in the middle of putting up the kickstand on my motorcycle. She is far away, but I can still make out her features. Her face is pale; her hair is auburn, and tangled. Some bits went over her shoulder, but most of it reached down her back. I could tell she was short just from looking at her. But then again, everyone was to me. I was always tall, even when I was a kid.

I put on my helmet, and swing my leg over the seat. When I kick the engine into gear, I glance over at her. She’s still staring out into space, holding her polka-dot umbrella. I can hear the rain beating down on my helmet. I pull my bike out of the driveway, and race past her.

From my side view mirror, I can see that her umbrella escaped from her grip as I passed by. She just stares at it in a bemused sort of way. I’m already way ahead, so I don’t stop to help. I don’t see any point in it. It’s her own fault she let go.

She sits in front of me in my English class.

I don’t even realize it until she walks in. I can’t believe that I forgot her. But then again, she never says anything or does anything. She just sits there staring at the blackboard. As she comes in, and takes her designated seat in front of me, I notice that she has a large butterfly clip in her hair. Like an actual butterfly is sitting amongst her brunette curls, ready to take flight.

Her name is Pamela Forge.

I knew because when our teacher took attendance she called out, “Forge, Pamela?” and the girl with the butterfly in her hair replied, “I’m here.”

It never seems like she’s there though. I never noticed her before until I saw her at the bus stop. All through class I stare at her clip wondering who this girl is. Is she nice? Does she have a lot of friends? Is she liked?

I secretly hope so. I secretly hope that no one teases her or calls her names. I know it’s stupid to think things like that when you’re like me. A tall, tough, no-nonsense sort of guy like me shouldn’t think things like that about girls like her. A girl who I don’t know anything about.

The bell rings, but I don’t seem to hear it. I’m too transfixed with my thoughts.

“Are you okay?”

I jump when I hear Pamela speak to me. Her voice is soft, like a cloud. I look up at her, and she is staring at me with her big, green eyes. I immediately think of her clip.

“Why do you care?” are the words that come out of my mouth.

Pamela stays indifferent. “I was just wondering. Because you look sort of out of it.”

She giggles and it’s like a bell. I find myself glaring up at her while she smiles obliviously.

“You’re that boy, right?” Pamela asks. “The one who is always getting into trouble?”

I rise from my seat, and walk past her like she wasn’t there. It reminds me of this morning when I ignored her, and her umbrella. Like the last time, I don’t see any point of going back. But as I walk away I could feel her following close behind. I stop, and she crashes into my back.

“What,” I say turning around. “are you doing?”

She rubs the bridge of her nose and is muttering to herself. She doesn’t seem to know I’m talking to her. I scowl at her impatiently.

“I was wanting to know if you could answer my question,” Pamea says politely.

I heave a sigh. “Yes. I am the guy who’s always getting in trouble for stupid shit.”

She nods like someone is explaining to her some complex scientific theory. I roll my eyes, and turn to walk away, but I feel her grab onto my forearm. I blink, and stare down at her small white hand on my arm. My eyes slide up automatically to hers, and I see she’s smiling again.

“I saw you. At the bus stop this morning,” she says. “You saw me too, right?”

She saw me? How could she have known it was me? She wasn’t even looking at me. I unlatch her fingers from my arm hastily. She lets her hand hang limply to the side of her soft, pink bohemian skirt.

“Yeah I saw you,” I say gruffly. “You lost your… umbrella, right?”

I refrain from asking her if she got it back or not. I don’t want to come off as a sap. If she thinks I’m some trouble-making, bad guy then let her. There’s no need to ruin her opinion of me.

“I met this old woman while I was chasing it,” she goes onto say. The bell for lunch had rung minutes ago. My buddies are going to lose it if I’m not there. “She was just sitting there on a bench looking so wistful. I asked her what was the matter and she told me about her husband. He died a few days before, can you believe it?”

I realize this question is meant for me, so I say flatly, “That’s… horrible.”

I never have lost anyone in my life, if you didn’t count my parents. But it was my choice to leave them. They hated me so much they didn’t even care if I moved out or stayed. I’m seventeen. I can make my own life altering choices.

“So I gave her my umbrella so she wouldn’t get wet,” she says. I notice her face is slowly turning a light shade of pink. “Then I had to wait at the bus stop for the longest time. That’s why I’m so wet.”

“I honestly don’t care,” I say.

She’s still smiling. After I said something so harsh. It didn’t seem to faze her at all.

“It’s okay,” she says. “I know you don’t mean it.”

“Where were you, man?”

I emerge from the staircase, and see my friends sitting on the edge of the roof. The one who spoke is my best friend, Connor. Connor has messy, blonde hair, and brown eyes usually hidden behind black tinted sunglasses, He is passing around a box of cigarettes and a lighter.

“Some crazy chick sidetracked me,” I explain.

I walk over to Connor who offers me a cigarette. I take it, and kneel down next to John who lights it up.

“Was she hot?” Connor inquires.

I frowned as I remembered what she looked like. Long auburn hair, green eyes, and small hands.

“Nah,” I sigh. I take a drag from my cigarette. “She’s plain looking.”

“Jesus!” another one of my friends, Matt, shouts. “You can’t get any hot chicks lately, Nate.”

I throw a small pebble at him I find on the ground. He jumps as the rock flys past his shoulder, causinng him to drop his cigarette and swear profusely.

“What was her name?” John asks, ignoring Matt’s yells.

“Pamela.”

“That creepy Forge girl?” Connor chuckles. “God, Nate. She’s a wacko. I went to grade school with her. She never talked to anyone but herself. Crazy, man.”

She did seem weird when I met her. But all I saw was that she was just a plain, ordinary girl. From her glass butterfly to her pink skirt.

“Her parents are dead,” John tells us.

My eyes dart over to him. “What?”

“Yeah,” John says. He looks uncomfortable with all my attention upon him. "She lives with her grandmother now."

"How do you know?" Matt asks.

"Her sister is friends with my brother." John shrugs.

So both of her parents are dead? No wonder she pitied that old woman. How can she smile, and still be so generous even while knowing her parents are gone?

But I guess guys like me don't think things like that about girls like her.
Last edited by SeptemberRain on Wed May 14, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue May 06, 2008 7:27 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Wow, that was really cool. There are a few mistakes.

When you end a sentence someone is talking you tend to do so:

"Hi, my name is Lisa," she smiled.

When it is supposed to to look like such:

"Hi, my name is Lisa." She smiled.

There were a few other things like you didn't put a comma before the fan boys when you needed to.

For (I think this one is right, never can member it.)
And
Nor

But
Or
Yet
So

Other then that it was really good. Keep going, please please please, you can't stop here.

TNC

PS. Tell me when you put more up if you do.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

Tue May 06, 2008 9:03 pm
SeptemberRain says...

AHHHH!!! Oh thank you so much! This is more like a rough copy of chapter one so I haven't realy revised it, but thank you for spotting those mistakes. I always seem to forget to put commas and everything. Thank you again! :)

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed May 07, 2008 2:15 am
day tripper says...

I really liked this.
Like TNCowgirl stated,
just remember the phrase:
Fanboys

it helps(:

and yes, a little more work on puncuation
and a tab more detail and this will be great.
PM me for next chapter?(:
A little less inhuman.
A little more brutal.
Let the blood be your drug.

Tue May 13, 2008 7:14 pm
Heart of Broken Glass says...

Well, I saw one spelling error but it's not major. I really like it. Post the next chapter soon! <:D

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue May 13, 2008 8:39 pm
KJ says...

NITPICKS:

I always was tall, even when I was a kid.

I think this would flow better if you switched was and always around so it reads like this: I was always tall

I notice her hair is damp when she sits down. I also notice she has a big butterfly clip in the back of her hair.

You mention her hair too much. Perhaps combine the two sentences like this: As she takes her seat I notice that her hair is damp, and that a large butterfly clip adorns the back of her head.

Her name is Pamela Forge.

I know because when our teacher was taking attendance she called out, “Forge, Pamela?” and the girl with the butterfly in her hair said, “I’m here.”

You're writing in present tense, so he can't know her name before it is called out.

It never seems like she’s there though. I never noticed her before until I saw her at the bus stop. All through class I stare at her clip wondering who this girl was. Was she nice? Did she have a lot of friends? Was she liked?

Cannot use the word was when writing in present tense.

It reminded me of this morning when I ignored her and her umbrella. Like the last time, I didn’t see any point of going back.

You keep switching tenses. Should be reminds, and don't.

My buddies are going to lose it if I’m not there.

...Why? Aren't they tough and everything? They would break down if one guy is late? Doesn't make sense...

I realize this question was mean for me, so I say, “That’s… horrible.”

Three problems with this: One, supposed to be meant. Two: is, not was. Three: That's horrible DOES sound sentimental. Perhaps describe his tone, and make it flat or annoyed?

He drops his cigarette and swears profusely.

Just because a pebble was thrown at him?

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

I really liked this. It's a good beginning, and left me curious. I especially liked your last line. Besides the few things I've pointed out, I thought this was very well-written. I'll be waiting for more.

Wed May 14, 2008 8:17 pm
SeptemberRain says...

Thank you for pointing out some of the mistakes I made. I'm usually an avid past tense writer, and switching to present is kind of tough. Also to answer some of your questions:

His friends aren't really that tough. There just some punk kids who like to mess around, and make fun of each other a lot. This becomes a lot clearer in later chapters.

And the pebble suprised him so he dropped it on the ground. Should make that clear, or something.

Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 pm
Iamjustbored says...

You mention the polka-dot umbrella several times and i was wondering whether or not that plays some significance later in the story. It seems it could be a symbol for Good and Evil or mixed emotions.

I think this is a good start. There are some obvious grammatical errors but previous post have already touched that issue.

Thu May 15, 2008 12:34 pm
SeptemberRain says...

I think it symbolizes Pamela's (the owner of the umbrella) personality. And also I really like polka-dots :)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun May 18, 2008 1:13 am
seshat77 says...

I really liked this, it was nice, it was also different but not too far-fetched. You had a few spelling errors, i think most of them have been pointed out by others, but you don't need a comma before every 'and' in the story.

Keep on writing, this is an awesome story so far, i can tell you'll do it justice!
If life gives you lemons, throw them back at life and scream "I don't want your damn lemons!"

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 pm
JackBauerHasABaldSpot says...

I really really enjoyed this, more than any story currently on here. To me, it has a very "Stargirl" feel to it, but it is refreshingly different.

Instead of thinking that Pamela's family situation is highly cliche, I'm a little intrigued. You presented some of the factors of the story well, particularly the character development. In fact, besides the few grammatical mistakes, my only complaint is that you haven't provided more than two posts. That's a little grating for such an entertaining story.

Quick questions: Is the attention that Nate shows to Pamela in the beginning supposed to mean that he's unconsciously gained feelings for her, or is it just curiosity?

Also, are you going to fill in the blanks with Pamela's storyline, like how she came to have interest in Nate? I suppose we could collect the rest of the information from speculation, like the fact that Pamela obviously likes him, but I think an explanation in another post wouldn't be the worst thing.

Anyway, I'm extremely fond of this post. It's not at all cheesy, and you have made sure to avoid info-dumping, two of the worst symptoms a post can contain. Pretty cool.
"...some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright."
-The Shawshank Redemption

Random avatar

Reviews: 38
Mon May 19, 2008 11:23 pm
Squishy says...

not to rain on your parade or anything, but you portray pamela as a shy short person who might possibly be a nobody to the jocks/popular people of the school.

but then she comes up and talks to you, being very forward and persistant.

knowing from personal experience, if a girl is unknown, shy, etc, she wouldn't come up and talk to some bad, troublesome, hard kid and just hit it off.

It would be a little awkward for her and she would feel uncomfortable. And she definitly wouldn't go into her life story right away like that.

but thats just me

but besides, i like where you're going with this. good foil in characters which is a nice contrast.

don't get too cliche though

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue May 20, 2008 11:55 pm
Wildest Temptations says...

I really like this. It is catching. Reminds me of a book I read, but it doesn't copy it. I think a bit more detail would bring you more readers, and I agree about the switching tenses, but overall, it was actually pretty good.

Keep up the good work, PM me when you post more??
"The only life worth living is the one you're truly passionate about." -- Emma Pillsbury, Glee

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
— S.E. Hinton