z

Young Writers Society

Without Reason pt.1

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:59 pm
hekategirl says...

I walk through curtains of darkness, pushing them aside with the beacon that is my iPod's LED light. While trying to focus on muffling my footsteps in the fluffy carpet I keep a sly eye around every corner. I am fourteen and still skittish when is comes to the dark. It's not that I'm afraid of monsters or anything like that, I'm just afraid of what could be there...lurking, unseen. I suppose that means I'm afraid of the unknown, but really, who isn't?
As I turn the final corner to the kitchen something crackles by my toe and I jump a good foot in the air. I barrel into the living room couch, iPod slipping out of my hand. I hear a soft thud as the LED switches off.
The darkness seems to solidify as my heart goes cold.

What now?

I blink frantically in an effort to adjust to the inky blackness. But before long soft footsteps echo down the stairs. My brain says logically "It's your Dad coming to see what the noise is about,"
But my heart whimpers, "Kidnapper! Murderer! Monster! Zombie!"
Ignoring the latter I gingerly reach out my hands to try and bring myself to my feet. I'm padding the ground searching for my iPod by the time the over head light clicks on and I'm swathed in bleary light. Squinting, I make out the shape of my Dad, groggy and hunched from being woken up. "Sorry," I splutter, grabbing my iPod where it lays two inches from my hand. "Needed a glass of water. I-I tripped" I still can't clearly make out my Dad's face but I know he's most likely annoyed. Being woken up my frantic teenage daughter isn't exactly high up on my things-to-do list either.

Straightening up, I begin to explain more thoroughly but before I can utter my first syllable the man who I thought was my Father comes at me at the speed of sound, catching me in a choke hold that leaves me barely breathing. I thrash but he just holds me tighter. "I don't want to hurt you" he whispers in a voice that brings to mind the spooky slits of cat's eyes.
"Yeah right" I gasp. But something small in my brain reminds me that if he'd wanted to kill me he would've done so by now.
"Hold still," he says calmly and I hear a clicking next to my throat. He releases me then and I stumble to the floor. Looking up, I foggily see his face. I was right about the cat's eyes; they sear into me as everything goes black.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm
Kathy_7_Kathy says...

very nice...
I may not be a genious in literature, but i thouught it was really very good...
An advice:
explain more, we have 5 senses, use them, describe, explain...
Describe what is she touching, smelling, hearing...
But, its very nice...
I hope I'm usefull
Make it longer.
Tell a story with it, a long story.
I would love this, on a story.
Go on like this...
And I will be waiting for "Without reason. The hole story" :wink:
bye and good luck :D
From the bottom of my heart :D
A person that is wise is a person who had enough expiriences, so he knows what life is about

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 pm
phantom_blackfire_wings says...

I really liked this piece.

If i had the time and energy, I'd try to Crit. this better :)

Seperating the different people's dialouge would make it eaisier to read.

Keep writing,

Risa
"What are you doing?"
"I've got paint and rollers...water sking"~The Philanthropist

Don't push the Red Button

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:48 am
View Likes
inkling says...

i LOVED this!
I actually jumped when the man she thought was her father wasn't her father. (not the best english huh?)
That is EXACTLY what im like when i am home alone. You did a great job in portraying it. Im looking forward to more ,though, why is it in romantic fiction??? :?
LOVED IT ANYWAY
dont worry about the world coming to an end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia.- Charles Schultz

Yes im obsessed with pirates, you have a problem with that BUDDY?

was that just me, or was that an earthquake? Nope, that was me

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:56 am
hekategirl says...

Thanks for the critiques!

why is it in romantic fiction???

Tee hee :P you'll see.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:22 pm
Moony says...

i really enjoyed this piece and can not wait for more!!!

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:09 am
day tripper says...

I really liked it!
I can't wait for part two(:

My only comment is that,
when you have the talking,
maybe make a break inbetween
them, as if starting a new paragraph.

Other then that, it was amazing for me.

Keep up the great writing!
A little less inhuman.
A little more brutal.
Let the blood be your drug.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:47 pm
Kaurin says...

I'm quite captivated by your story! Especially the sudden twists, like when it wasn't her Dad after all. But I did notice some grammar mistakes, perhaps you would like to check them out and correct them? And I agree with the others about making a break between the dialogues. Keep up the good work!

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
— Mark Twain