z

Young Writers Society

Shotgun - Chapter Two

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:21 pm
omgsh mikey says...

“Ok, what’s wrong?” Adam asked.

I sighed heavily and counted to ten. It was my method; to calm myself down when I was angry. “I can’t deal with this crap anymore. Mom’s getting overemotional, I get bossed around all the time, I want to rearrange her face, Dad’s not doing anything about it, and it’s like the world revolves around mom. If she wants food, you get her food. If she wants the freaking TV remote, give it to her.” I panted, and closed my eyes. I began to hug the pillow I had in my hands, and Adam frowned.

“Lacey, that’s how pregnant women are,” he said softly. “My mom was like that too, except… I don’t think that she demanded so much.”

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks, Adam. That helps a lot.”

He sighed. “Sorry.”

I stood up, throwing the pillow back onto his couch, and walked over to the door. “I’m going outside,” I mumbled, and moved across the living room to the Foyer. Resisting the urge to throw open the door and let it slam against the wall, I stepped outside and sat down on the porch steps. Adam’s house was my second home. I was always over there, even if he had company. We were so close, people thought we were basically dating. I had never thought of dating him, even though I found him extremely attractive. I heard him come outside, but I didn’t say anything.

“Lacey?” He asked, sitting down next to me on the porch.

“It’s like I never existed to them, like I was just a freaking practice kid, so that they would know what was ahead of them when they were ready.”

He ran his hand up and down my back carefully. “Don’t think like that, Lacey. Your parents love you.”

I rolled my eyes. “She only talks to me when she needs something, Adam.” I turned to look at him. “Lacey, get me a glass of water. Lacey, help me wash the dishes. Lacey…” I said, mocking mom in a high pitched voice. My voice cracked, and I suddenly felt like crying. I stood up, and paced on the sidewalk.

I began to beat on my thighs as I walked. “Lacey… you’ve got four more months. To be honest, it won’t seem like that long. I had to go through all of this, too, remember?”

I sighed. “You make this sound easy.”

“That’s because it is! God, you’re acting like you’re the only one who’s gone through this!” He raised his voice a little by every few words. “You’re so spoiled, Lacey. I can understand why you’re upset about this, but it’s not the end of the fucking world!”

I stared at him, my mouth hanging open. “Wonderful words of encouragement, Adam.” I started my way down the sidewalk, but then turned around and stared at him. He came towards me and I huffed. “I’m not spoiled. I work for everything, and unlike you, I don’t have a car!”

Adam sighed, and, grabbing my wrist, he pulled me closer to him. “I have that car, Lacey, because I bought it myself. I got myself a job, and I paid for it myself. I bought my insurance myself, and I don’t ask for money to get gas. That’s why I have that car. Because I work too.”

I huffed again, and I tried to pull my wrist back, but he held on tighter. “It’s not my fault that no one will hire me, Adam!” I yanked at my wrist again, but he wouldn’t let go. “Let go of me!! I want to go home!” I closed my eyes, and slowly counted to ten. I felt Adam’s lips brush mine and I froze. I stopped counting and held my breath. He deepened it after a moment, and I finally kissed him back.

My anger was washed away, and all I could feel was giddiness. He pulled back, and I said, eyes still closed, “what was that for?” My lids fluttered open and I looked up at him. He blushed, and bit his lip.

“I thought it might help,” he said softly. I smiled, and wrapped my arms around his waist, pressing the side of my face into his chest. He ran his hand down my hair, and I closed my eyes. He smelled like axe, but it wasn't too strong.

“That was,” I mumbled, “kind of weird.”

Adam laughed. “Sort of.” I let go of him and took a step back. I was calmer than I was before, but not totally content.

We stared at each other for a few moments, before I said, “so… what now?”

He pressed his lips together, and said, “I don’t know.” I wanted him to say something other than that. I wanted it to be… hey! Let’s go out. He wasn’t going to say it though, because I know Adam all too well. He was going to forget that it ever happened, and I was going to be angry with him because he was… I don’t know. He was the guy that every girl wanted for her boyfriend, because he was very sweet. He thought about what he was going to say before he said it, and he cared about what us girls thought. He was definitely polite. I watched him patiently, and he raised his eyebrow.

“What?” He asked, running his hand through his hair.

I sighed. It wasn’t going to happen. “I – I’m gonna go home. My mom probably needs me for something,” I mumbled, and turned to walk away. Adam didn’t try to stop me this time, and I didn’t mind. I wanted to go home and think. He really made me realize that I sounded like some cold, heartless villain. I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans and heard a gun shot.

Now, living in New Jersey had its advantages, as there were a number of big bands from there, but at night, it’s one of the scariest places to be. I looked toward the park, and saw a group of figures. Three or four of them were shooting at two of them. The two who were being shot at dropped to the ground and I gasped. No, it wasn’t the first time I’d seen this happen, but I didn’t see it very often. I started to move towards home, trying to forget about what I just saw. It wasn’t like I was going to be traumatized, but it still freaked me out... majorly.

I opened the front door quietly and saw dad pacing in front of the couch. He stopped when I shut the door, and said, “oh, Lacey! Where’ve you been?”

I gave him a confused expression. “I was with Adam,” I said. He furrowed his eyebrows and stared at me.

“You were supposed to be home at nine. It’s almost nine-thirty. You know you’re not supposed to be out at night!”

“Dad, don’t freak out, ok? I walked home.”

He sighed again. “Adam is supposed to give you a ride if it’s after seven.”

“I wanted to walk home, dad, ok?”

“Lacey! Two people were murdered in the park today! I’m surprised you didn’t know.”

“Of course I know, dad. I watched it happen. I wasn’t going to get hurt. I’m in track, remember?”

He nodded slowly, and sat down on the couch. “Go tell your mother you’re ok. She’s on the verge of tears.”

“Ok. Where is she?” I shoved my hand into my back pocket and leaned onto my right foot.

“Bedroom.”

I skipped up the stairs two at a time and, tripping on the end of the rug, I reached her bedroom. I took a deep breath, and regaining my balance, I knocked softly. “Mom?”

The door swung open and she appeared. She looked horrible. Her shirt was wrinkled, and with that little bulge in her stomach, I felt my stomach drop. I suddenly felt so guilty for everything I’d been complaining about. I was such a brat. I hugged her, and said, “mom, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I’ve been such a brat about this. I love you.”

She rubbed my back, and I sniffled. I wasn’t one to cry, but I felt so bad about how I’d been acting. “It’s ok, sweetie. I know it’s hard.”

I let her go, and smiled.
Last edited by omgsh mikey on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This band is metal in that we have a lot of metal in our instruments, and there's quite a lot of metal on my belt buckle as well." - Mikey Way

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:10 pm
Sam says...

Hey, Mikey!

Again...another very good chapter. It's impossibly yummy- everything flows so well and is easy to read. I love it. ^_^

A few things, though:

- Adam seems to know quite a bit about pregnant womens' hormonal moods. That's a bit odd, since guys are usually oblivious...so, either explain why he's rather knowledgeable, or make sure we know that he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

- Everything happens very, very fast. A pregnancy, a kiss, and a murder in the first chapter? It could make a whole novel by itself!

The latter was a bit worrying to me. My home state's pretty boring, so the idea of someone being shot is almost laughably random. It's a bad thing when your readers start cracking up in the wrong places. ^_~

Here's a tip: make sure you describe physical and emotional reactions. Like, when Adam kisses her- is there any hesitation? She's never considered him more than a friend before. Show this with awkward body posture, and make sure we know how she feels.

Same goes with the murders- how would you react if you saw such a thing?

- I'll just reply to your PM here, 'cause I'm lazy: it's a tip that I got when I was like ten years old, that people like drama, but your narrator should be pretty neutral. It's draining on a reader to have to listen to angst, angst, angst- but this is also an easy thing to fix. Just put in a few happy or neutral observations, and you'll be set.

Anyway, another very impressive chapter, Mikey ^_^ As usual, PM if you've got any questions!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:33 pm
Rydia says...

Hello again! A lot of your action is rather sudden and you might want to work on that. I was rather horrified at how casual your characters were about the shooting and that she'd seen it before. It does emphasise that the neighbourhood is rough but even so, Lacey should be a bit more horrified and her father should worry more. Now on to a few specific suggestions -

I mumbled, and with one motion, I was outside. [Okay so describing a character leaving a building is boring but this is too abrupt and the commas are in the wrong place. If you stick with this, it should be 'I mumbled and, with one motion, I was outside.' You put the comma the wrong side of and later on as well. Here's an easy way to check if you've done it right - you should be able to remove the subordinate phrase and have the sentence still make sense. I do think you might want to describe her leaving the house a little though. Perhaps 'I mumbled, leaving the room. I crossed through the hall, opened the door and stepped out into the cold evening air.']

I was always over here, even if he had company. [This should probably be 'I was always over there...']

It’s been almost a month since they told me there was going to be another kid, and I felt so invisible. “She only talks to me when she needs something, Adam.” [You don't need that first sentence. The speech is enough to let the reader knows that she feels invisible.]

Adam sighed, and grabbing my wrist, he pulled me closer to him. [Here's that other subordinate clause. Just put the comma the other side of and.]

I smiled, and wrapped my arms around his waist, pressing the side of his face into his chest. [I think you mean 'pressing the side of my face into his chest.']

I shoved my hands into my jean pockets and heard a gun shot. [This could do with re-wording. Maybe 'I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans and then I heard a gun shot.']

Now, living in New Jersey had its advantages, as there [s]are[/s] were a number of big bands from [s]here[/s] there, but at night, it’s one of the scariest places to be.

The two who were being shot [s]out[/s] at dropped to the ground and I gasped.

No, it wasn’t the first time [s]I’ve[/s] I'd seen this happen, but I didn’t see it very often.

I wasn’t one to cry, but I felt so bad about how [s]I’ve[/s] I'd been acting.

Other than that, Lacey has matured rather quickly and you should probably make more of the kiss but it's a good chapter. Be careful not to change tense and work on your realism but in general, this is going really well. Let me know if you want me to take a look at anything else,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:10 pm
omgsh mikey says...

All fixed! Thanks, Heather. Sometimes I type so quickly that I don't see my mistakes, and MS Word doesn't catch all of that before. I really need to look over everything more carefully, huh?
"This band is metal in that we have a lot of metal in our instruments, and there's quite a lot of metal on my belt buckle as well." - Mikey Way

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:44 pm
Rydia says...

Don't worry about it. We all make our little mistakes and I'm glad I could help =)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe