z

Young Writers Society

Kiss the Damsel Chapter 9

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:13 am
Certainly Love says...

Chapter 9

Marcus was still a little faint as he sat in the parlor awaiting Jane’s return. Apparently she had hurried off to get a pot of cold water to tend to his eyes. Marcus didn’t want her to feel obligated to tend to him, but when he had told her that he was alright, Jane ignored him and set off into the kitchen. Marcus was trying his best not to think about how much he wanted to kiss her when she came back into the parlor with a towel and a pot of chilled water.

Jane wrung the towel and soaked it in the water. Just as Jane was getting ready to dab his left eye with the towel, Marcus took a hold of her hand.

“Really, I’m fine.” Marcus stared at her and Jane couldn’t believe how her body reacted to his gentle touch. He didn’t release her hand and slowly Jane pulled away. Marcus, however, didn’t stop his eyes from staring at her. He seemed like a man possessed.

Jane decided that the moment was getting too intense, so she cleared her throat, “I think it would soothe your eye.”

“My eyes are already being soothed just by looking at you.” He said. Jane felt her heart beating fast. She could hear it in her ears. “You never cease to amaze me. Even after all these months, you still manage to make me fall all over myself.”

“In the beginning, you didn’t seem to be falling all over yourself whatsoever…and I wonder what on earth compelled you to think differently about me.” Jane sighed, “I am still the same old Jane who gossips about everyone.”

“Since there is simply nothing I can do to win you. Then how about we carry on as friends?” Marcus asked as he tried to sit comfortably upon a chair that seemed to be made for a mere child. Jane was rather disappointed.

“Friends, Mr. Daniel.” Jane said as she placed the towel upon his left eye. Marcus flinched and caught her hand again.

“That hurts.” Marcus said as he shut his eyes.

“Why don’t you lie down upon the sofa in the sitting room?” Jane said as she helped him up. Marcus tried not to groan.

As Jane helped him up, Marcus couldn’t help but inhale her scent. She smelled like lovely fresh roses. It made him want to smell the inside of her neck. Carefully, Marcus observed Jane as she held firmly upon his arms and just as Marcus set himself down, he pulled Jane into his lap to which she shrieked.

“Mr. Daniel!” Jane wailed. Marcus smiled deviously.

“Jane.” Marcus said as he smelled her hair. “I adore you like no other.”

“Mr. Daniel, please!” Marcus released her…for he didn’t want to scare her. He simply tried to control his raging emotions toward Jane. “What on earth is the matter with you?”

Marcus shrugged, “I am a fool in love.” He admitted. “I apologize…that was rather inappropriate.” He smirked, “But I know you like it.”

Jane frowned, “How rude of you to think so.”

Marcus sighed, “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For mending my wounds. Hopefully you can mend the wounds of my heart.”

Jane didn’t hear him when the door was suddenly opened by Uncle Fred. He came in with a jolly smile, “Jane Dear, your Aunt and I were wondering if you would like to stay a week at our old house.”

Jane smiled lovingly, “Whatever for? Is there an event taking place?”

Uncle Fred paused, “Well…no…but your aunt and I are leaving to Yorkshire and we need someone to watch the children.”

“That would be wonderful. Of course I will.” Jane said as Uncle Fred threw his gaze toward Marcus.

“Oh and what of you your majesty? Would you care to look after Jane? It is a very dangerous thing to leave a woman by herself in such a secluded area.”

Marcus’ eyes brightened up and Jane held her breath, “I’d love to. I have heard that there are criminals on the loose and it would be most unfortunate if they were to encounter them.”

Uncle Fred frowned, “You’re not serious.” He said in disbelief, “There are criminals running about?”

“Yes, I am always informed of these things.” He winked at Jane and she tried not to glower at him.

“Well,” Uncle Fred said in finality, “I am glad you told me. Now it is very important that you stay with her at all times. You shall be her protector, especially for my children. Thank you my Lord.”

Uncle Fred bowed, “Anything for Jane.” Marcus said as he stared at her. He could tell she was annoyed.

“Well, Jane, I need you to pack up as soon as possible. We leave in an hour or two.”

Marcus nodded in agreement, “Yes, then that means I must get a move on as well.”

The expression he gave Jane was enough to make her furious, but Marcus knew that he was going to have a splendid time with Jane. Just think…being all alone with Jane in an empty house…but then there was her cousins. They wouldn’t be too much trouble. Jane would probably have them sleeping early. Then they would have to be alone…in peace and quiet.

The house was overly large. Evidently larger than where Jane was residing in London. It was amazing that her family actually kept this house for many years. Jane liked the old Dorsey house. It had many rooms and a huge well-kept garden where the children often played when events took place. Jane smiled up at it for it brought back so many good memories. Such memories about her father all stayed within Dorsey House and Jane liked that this was the place her parents had met and fell in love.

Jane was heading inside her Aunt and Uncle’s house when she saw Marcus pulling up in his carriage. He was staring at her through the window and Jane could almost feel the heat of his gaze. Jane could at least greet him, but she was too afraid to be under his eyes for fear she might feel that sweet lovely sensation.

As soon as Jane settled inside the house, the children stood at the end of the stair case. Michael, Minnie, and Eddie stared at her and Jane could only smile at them as they gave those disappointed expressions.

“Oh, children don’t look so glum. Momma and Papa won’t be gone forever.” Jane then said as she knelt beside them.

“Well, it seems like it,” Minnie said as she held her doll in her arms.

“I’m old enough to take care of myself.” Michael said with his arms crossed.

“But can you take care of your brother and sister?” Jane asked. Michael nodded, but Jane already knew that he wasn’t so sure of himself.

“Are we going to have to stay in the house all the time? I did hear Papa talk of criminals.” Eddie said. His blue eyes stared back at Jane for an answer.

“Oh, do not worry. I will make sure that our brave guardian will protect you when you play outdoors. After all, that is why the Duke of Mayfair is here to stay.”

“I thought you were going to marry him.” Eddie said.

“Yes, Jane. Are you going to marry him?” Minnie asked. Her baby face made her want to squeeze her tight.

Jane chuckled and embraced Minnie, “No. I’m not going to marry him. Who ever told you that?”

“I over-heard mother say that he was here so that he could make you fall in love with him so you could marry him.”

“Well, that certainly is not going to happen.” Jane said. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “Now, I do hope you will stop eavesdropping. I know you like to hear it, just as much as I…but you don’t want to end up like me.”

“What do you mean?” Minnie asked.

Jane sighed, “I will explain it to you when you’re older.”

Just then, Aunt Josephine and Uncle Fred came out from the hall, ready to take their leave. “Children.” Aunt Josephine hollered as she embraced them, “I want you all to know that I am going to miss you dreadfully. I want you all to be on your best behavior and please do not give your cousin a hard time.”

“We won’t.” They said in unison.

“And make sure you all pay attention to your studies. Your governess is not here to play.” Their father said. Just then he embraced them and kissed them. “Now, I want you, Michael, to be the man of the house.” Michael nodded.

“And I will be the protector.” Marcus said as he came inside, placing his suitcase down. Everyone turned to Marcus and the children’s eyes grew wide for he was quite tall.

“Are you going to shoot the bad people?” Minnie asked innocently.

“If need be.” He winked at her and she shied away. The two boys just stared at him in awe.

“Could you teach us how to shoot?” Michael asked. Eddie was nodding in agreement. Marcus had not a clue how to answer them. He certainly didn’t know if they were old enough to learn.

“Why, of course.” Marcus said, “Why not?”

“Well, I think we should be leaving.” Aunt Josephine said as she took up her belongings. “Come now, Freddie.”

Uncle Fred then followed his wife out the door as they said their goodbyes and as soon as the door was shut, Jane and Marcus looked at one another. The children were silent and that was when Jane decided that it was time for them to prepare for their lessons in calligraphy.

“Alright, children, off to the study room. Your governess will be here any minute.”

They all moaned in disappointment as they dragged themselves up the stairs. Jane sighed and was about to follow them when Marcus took her by the arm. “You’d make the most beautiful mother, you know.”

Jane smiled, “And you’d make a wonderful guardian.”

Marcus shook his head, “That wasn’t the response that I wanted to hear, but that will do.”

Jane started up the stairs and left Marcus to himself. It was highly daft of her aunt and uncle to leave her here by herself with a man…let alone, Marcus Daniel.

Marcus was outside in the stable, grooming his stallion and he couldn’t help but notice what a breezy day it was. It was also sunnier than it would have been in London. Marcus was humming to himself when he heard someone walking slowly just outside the stable. He stopped to listen until he heard it no more. Marcus shook his head. He knew there weren’t any criminals running loose. He had only said that so that he could be closer to Jane. Now that would be utterly unfortunate if there really were criminals running around the Dorsey estate---but then again, how unfortunate it would be for them if he caught them.

Marcus continued grooming his horse when one of the Dorsey children stepped in. He must have been the eldest for he was taller than the rest of them. Marcus stopped and stood tall. Michael stepped back.

“Is there anything amiss?” Marcus asked. Michael shook his head. “Would you like to groom your horse---Do you have a horse of your own?”

Michael nodded, “His name is Gonzo.”

“Gonzo. That’s a unique name for a horse.” Marcus then began to groom his horse again.

“What is the name of your horse?” Michael asked, stepping forward.

“Trevor. I named him after my brother.” Marcus tried not to laugh, “I was in a humorous state.”

Michael was smiling and suddenly Marcus was laughing. Soon after, Jane walked into the stable along with the other two children, “Michael, don’t ever run off by yourself like that. I was looking all over for you.”

“I’m sorry cousin Jane. I was just speaking with the Duke of Mayfair.” Michael replied.

“He’s very mature.” Marcus added.

Jane looked to Michael and smiled, “I know. That is why I cannot wait until he finally leaves to Eton. He’s very bright.”

“Ah. I’m very inclined to teach him how to shoot with a bow and arrow.” Marcus said as he placed his brush down, “Just so he could show off when he enters into Eton.” Marcus winked at Michael.

“Do I get to learn too?” Eddie asked with hopeful eyes.

“Of course.” Marcus said.

“What about me.” Minnie asked. Jane looked to her and laughed.

“Minnie, you’re supposed to be taught to be a lady. You and I can have tea while we watch them learn.”

Minnie nodded and started to pull on Jane’s hand, “Then let’s have tea.”

Jane chuckled and turned to Marcus, “Meet us in the back yard.”

Marcus nodded and couldn’t help but notice how Jane looked under a sunny sky. She was absolutely enchanting and yet, he felt he wouldn’t be able to woo her as he would have liked. She was too difficult to please. Marcus sighed as she left. Michael stood next to Eddie and the two of them shook their heads. Marcus noticed their little gestures and paused.

“What?” He asked in curiosity.

“We know that you like our cousin.” Michael said.

“And just where did you hear that?” Marcus asked, intrigued.

“Let’s just say that not everyday a man volunteers to protect a house and children. It would only be that way unless a female was a part of it.” Michael replied.

Eddie nodded in agreement, “We won’t tell anyone. Well…actually, everyone knows already so there’s no use in hiding that information.”

Marcus laughed and sat upon a stool, “I’m beginning to like you boys.” He said with a wide smile, “Alright, you caught me…I’ll make you a deal. If you help your cousin fall in love with me, then I’ll fix up that old tree house not too far from here.”

Michael and Eddie were so surprised that they immediately nodded. Marcus shook their hands, “We’ve a deal. Now let us get to work…ah but first, I must teach you some archery.”

“Can we also have some cookies and lemonade?” Eddie asked.

“I’m sure that can be arranged. We’ll have the ladies bring some.” Marcus said as he led them out of the stable. “I’m glad we had this talk.”
Last edited by Certainly Love on Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely, Amanda R. Holden, Author of Azyea's GIfts

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:39 pm
Wiggy says...

I'm lovin' it! Keep writing, CL!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:21 am
falling in love says...

I still love it and waiting for her to fall for him!!! No crit. Can't wait to read more.
"This was my first bus ride."
----Ardeth Bay from the Mummy Returns

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue May 08, 2007 9:04 pm
Night Mistress says...

I'm loving it! keep write it!
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues