z

Young Writers Society

Softness of Doves

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:44 pm
AmeliaCogin says...

Hello everyone...I'm working on a new novel, and have just written a prologue. I expect it will intrigue you, but I just want to know if it got you hooked enough. I don't want to write the whole thing If it's not captured my readers' interest. Oh, and, nitpicks would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

To a future generation:

We call it ‘Erfrierung’ or, ‘frostbite’. It’s a misnomer. We laugh over its inappropriateness when we have the energy. You see, it’s not ‘frost’ that gnaws at our bones, ravages it with sores and blisters; leaves our extremities blue and stiff: it’s a flesh-searing, sub-zero Blizzard gusting in from Siberia.

Apologies: I suppose that wasn’t the most pleasant of introductions. I’m Gretal, and I’ve lived on this earth for twenty-one years. As far as appearances go, I can’t really remember what I look like. The last time I stared at myself in a mirror, I was seventeen. I recall the simplest details of my appearance: I had hip-length hair: blonde and wavy. It seemed a travesty when the NKVD chopped it all off. I kicked up such a fuss; felt so ashamed when I was thrown to the floor and a guard played his hands about my groin. I soon learned the benefits of submission. My eyes were – and still are - plain blue. A little weight used to hang about my hips. It soon disappeared.

Personality-wise, I’m still the same Gretal, only older and wiser. I had to mask my true character whilst under the burning eyes of the NKVD. Thankfully, I never fully adapted the pessimism I outwardly wore. I’m naturally vivacious and impetuous, and it was difficult to restrain myself, but I learned the values of doing so.

I’m a positive soul; my optimism, though, often irritates the others. I suppose that when your fellows feel so down, they expect a shoulder to cry on – or at least a listening ear – not an overly-enthusiastic optimist with a perky outlook telling them to see the bright side of life.

I know this is all a little abstract. In fact, I’m not quite sure why I’m writing this all down. Keeping my fingers moving with a pencil certainly helps boost circulation. I’ve taught myself to write with both hands, so each can feel the benefits of flexibility.
I received a decent education and focused on my studies. Writing has always been close to my heart: my ambition as a school-leaver was to become an authoress. Then the war began, I signed up for service, and my aspirations slipped further and further away.

I was desperate to record the happenings inside the Camp. The NKVD guards who kept us captive wanted the foul mistreatment kept secretive, within the gates, and so it was a risky business. After one attempt, I dared not take the same risk.

It was dusk, and an empty cigarette box had circulated around the camp, eventually to be deposited under my mattress. It was large, and my hand-writing was miniscule. I began writing, and got away with it, for about a week. The NKVD did a strip search and found it hidden within the lining of my woollen coat. My precious coat was shredded and I was given a beating.

Now, I’m free. Granted, I’m a fugitive, but I have sweet freedom of speech. I’ve got the opportunity to pen the horrific truth about the Camp, and nobody is going to stop me, not this time. I suppose this is a little autobiography: the story of Gretal Schroder.

The dark’s setting in now, and so I’m heading inside the shelter to get some rest. Until tomorrow,

- G
Last edited by AmeliaCogin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 pm
Cole says...

I'm already very intrigued by Gretal. There is something about her character that’s very refreshing and real. I’d have to say I’m already hooked. I want to hear her story.

Grammatically and spelling wise, I couldn’t find anything specifically worth noting. But, there was one part I stumbled over while reading:
We laugh over its inappropriateness when we’ve the energy.

I might change that back to "we have". It was a little bizarre reading it like that.

Other than that, the piece flowed very nicely. The imagery I was getting while Gretal was speaking was all very dark and gritty and I love it.

I might do a little more "back story" either now or very soon within the piece to explain the time and setting. Some readers may not know what the time period is or know that the NKVD was basically the Soviet secret police. Just a thought.

Altogether it was beautifully written. Write more!

~H.

P.S. As for a title, I have no ideas yet.

I’m writing a historical fiction novella and it took me a little time to find a title. It’s written from the perspective of Jewish girl Lies Olsen and Nazi soldier Edwin von Ahlen. It takes place in a fictional concentration camp in the Black Forest of Germany.

It took me awhile to find a title, because I had to get into the piece first. I had to find what was significant to the story. I ended up naming it “The Gravel Road”, because in the story, the gravel road (the entrance and exit of the camp) became a symbol of salvation to Lies.

You might have to work with the story more to figure out a title.

Good luck!

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 pm
Justagirl says...

I received a decent educated (?) and focused on my studies.
Check out this sentence? It's a little weird...

Other than the part I pointed out above this is a really great beginning!

Very intriguing and I saw no other problems, so congrats :D

Great job! I can't wait to read more ;)

Keep writing,
Alzora
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:15 am
polinkacreations says...

Hey:)
So, I'm really excited about this, it definitely got me hooked:) You've chosen an interesting subject to write about - an NKVD camp, even though you should mention what the NKVD are - I know because I'm Russian, but others might not know.
I don't see any grammar mistakes after justagirl pointed it out for you.
I got a bit confused with the first paragraph, with the frostbite and stuff. The camp is in Siberia? Or I'm just misunderstanding something, probably.
Gretal is dark, mysterious, but intriguing. I want to learn more about her, hear her story, which is obviously not going to be a sweet one, but certainly not a boring one. The imagery is very vivid, dark and creepy. I love it:D
I love how you use little details which add a lot to the overall image, for example the empty cigarette box, and how you created an image of Gretel without describing her straight away, for example when you said that the fat from the hips was gone, we knew that she was very thin, even if you didn't say she was.
I also liked how you did this as if it was a diary entry. Interesting.
Keep this up, I'm going to go and read the second part!
And as for the title - it will come to you as you work the piece. I name my pieces as soon as I know what's the most important theme in it, and sometimes that takes a chapter or two:)
Polly
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury