z

Young Writers Society

Burning chatper 2

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 pm
blondeshorty01 says...

I was picking at the lace on the last pillow my mother ever made, before she died of hypothermia. It was a baby pink, with soft white lace all around. Etched into it was an Irish Celtic cross, my mothers side was Irish, and my fathers side was native American, a weird mixture, I know. I let a tear down, wetting the pastel colors, when My father arrived at my door.
“Rose,” he said in his rugged yet soft voice. I jumped up,
“Dad!” I yelled, “how…..when…..” I was at a loss for words, my father chuckled,
“my men are passing through, I was allowed to stay for a few weeks. And decided to stay with you!”
“That’s wonderful news father! You just HAVE to tell me EVERYTHING about the war!” I squealed,
“oh! By the way, is Anastasia’s father home too?”
I questioned quickly.
“of course! He’s one of my best men! And when I retire, I’m recommending him for my position!” he chuckled lightly, but I knew why he hesitated, retired or killed. I sighed, and then he said with his voice full of emotion,
“I missed you, everyday you look more and more like your mother,” He fingered one of my long, curly locks of hair, his eyes glazed, going back to the days he and my mother were courting.
He shivered, then brightened and said,
“well, I bring presents!” he pulled some things from the old cloth bag I had made years ago, for you, a new dress!” he pulled out the loveliest green dress with black lace. Auntie G. exclaimed,
“Darlin’ that will look lovely on yous! I will put those old curlers in your’s hair, and yous is going to that dance!” I gulped, how did she find out?
“dance,” my father said, “what dance?” he looked at me with his stormy gray eyes,
“umm, well, I was going to tell you but…” I faltered as anger came into his eyes,
“well at least tell me you have a date!”
“I…well…..I don’t want to go!” I screamed, “I know mom loved them, but I hate dances, I don’t want to be courted, I want to work! To be a teacher!” my father shook his head and sighed,
“well, I won’t make you go with a boy, but you will go.” he said as if for closure.
“fine!” I snapped, and my father turned to me and, in mock anger, said,
“now young lady! I don’t like that tone of voice! Go to your room!” I squealed with delight,
“this is where the twins get if from,” Auntie G. remarked, which made us all laugh more. When we all calmed down, Auntie G. cooked a ravishing meal. We devoured her famous steak and snapped beans, then we all washed it down with my sweet tea. As I squeezed the last drops of the sunshiny yellow lemon in my tea I remarked, kind of absently,
“I wonder what Anastasia’s dad is like…” my father ran his hand through his raven-feather hair,
“well, tomorrow we shall ride into town, and, if there not too busy catching up, we can stop with a picnic and see if they want to come. It would be nice to see him out of work.”
“that would be wonderful dad!” I exclaimed excitedly.
“I’ll be sure to send George to them to be sure it’s all right!”
Auntie G. promised after clearing the way for her yummy apple pie. She set it down in front of General Reginald and said,
“now look Mr. Army Man, I know your used to slop, and you’s stomach wont process this well, but I made this with you in my’s mind, and you’s bess be eatin’ it!” I laughed as dad pretended to force down a few bites, then devoured rest. We were all sleepy then, being well past midnight, when George returned with good news.
“milady, he said to me, the invitations have been accepted!” my father, in his now drunken state, danced with happiness, and became so wobbly, Auntie G. and George had to help him to bed. As I dressed in my nightgown, I thought of war, was it as brutally bloody as the textbooks said? Did the hills and plains really run a dark scarlet color during and after, and were they really stained by the dying and wounded life’s blood? or was it orderly and playful as the boys played it to be? I sighed as I realized I would never now the dark skies that always was portrayed by the paintings and drawings of war-men.
I climbed into my canopy bed and prayed tomorrow would go well, I had never mat her dad and did not know how to act. I pushed my hair out of my face and blew out my candle, and surrendered to dreams of gunshots and antagonized screams.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 pm
PeaceAloha10 says...

great! i give it 5 stars! cant wait to see wat happens at the picnic thing with anastasia and her dad! good wording too. just to make the chapters a lil longer. maybe add more detail or somethin, but other than that it sounds awsome!
I love Hot Chelle Rae! (best band in the world, u should look them up :D)

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed May 18, 2011 9:41 pm
View Likes
blondeshorty01 says...

well, the'll get longer duing the book, trust me! :D

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Wed May 18, 2011 11:17 pm
Gheala says...

-->I was at a loss for words.

*Make this a part of the previous quotation. Then make a new paragraph for the father's quotation after that.

-->my father chuckled,  
“my men are passing through...

*Change the comma before the quotation into a period. Use the comma only if you're going to say ''... chuckled and said,"

-->“That’s wonderful news father! You just HAVE to tell me EVERYTHING about the war!”

*Use italics instead of capitalizing your words. It feels a little like chatting with those capital words.

-->I sighed, and then he said with his voice full of emotion...

*How was his voice full of emotion? was it tender?was it choking? Tell me exactly how you hear his voice.

-->his eyes glazed, going back to the days he and my mother were courting.  

*That confused me. If this is a narrative, how does your MC know what her father is thinking about? Think about it.

-->Auntie G. exclaimed,  
“Darlin’ that will look lovely on yous!

*'you' instead of 'yous'.

-->When we all calmed down, Auntie G. cooked a ravishing meal.

* New paragraph.

-->“that would be wonderful dad!” I exclaimed excitedly. 

* Have you noticed that you use 'exclaimed' a lot? Try 'said' more.

-->I sighed as I realized I would never now the dark skies that always was portrayed by the paintings and drawings of war-men.  

*"knew" instead of "now"

--------

Alright, I liked this. You have a nice and simple writing style that goes on smoothly as you write.
Nevertheless, I think you need to proofread because there were some spelling mistakes. Nothing much though, and it won't take a minute to fix.
I also you need to work on your dialogues a little. You sometimes misplace the punctuation marks. Try to read more stories with dialogues to get better in this.

I think you captured the voices of your characters rather greatly. The father's voice was very clear and different from the girl's.

One more thing!! I forgot to tell you that I couldn't picture the sitting. Even though, the style is very good, you haven't given the reader much details about where the MC was setting or where was the conversation took place. Was the room big? What were the colors? How did the girl sit? What are the moves she usually made to express herself? I just needed some more details.
Descriptive paragraphs are your friend.

So, I'm thinking that's all. I really liked it and I think you have great potential. Just keep reading books and practicing whenever you have time to hold a pen. That will make a lot of difference.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sun May 29, 2011 11:49 pm
halogirl4197 says...

Are your chapters going to get longer? I think you could've put a bit of chapt. 3 in this because it's quite short :). Also, you got some mistakes as in actions. When the father says something, you put his action in with his saying.

For example: "I can't believe you did that," Judith said, putting her hands on her hips.

Or: Sarah blinked, "Will you help me?"

Or: "I just can't help it," Joshua said and shook his head, closing his eyes, "I'm in love with you."

Hope that helps, Hannahcakes! :D
Remember me for who I am, Not for who I was

Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green