z

Young Writers Society

Broken But Not Crushed ~Chapter 6

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:14 am
d@ydre@mer27 says...

Chapter 6

(previously) A moment later three people emerged, trudging slowly to the top. Two elderly women clutching their handbags and a little boy who only appeared to be seven or eight years old. He was trembling and crying out for his mother, begging for her with all of his little heart.

(cont.)In his hands he held a small toy soldier and he clutched it to his chest. Liesabet's heart leapt to her throat and her hand rose to her mouth.

She watched in silence as three shots rang out and the three crumpled to the ground. She could hear screams and cries rise from behind the hill and she watched as the tiny toy soldier fell from the little boy's hand and rolled down her side of the hill in her direction. Unable to hold back any longer she turned and vomited violently against the fence, not noticing the others who had joined her and now stood solemnly as witnesses watching the horror unfold before their own eyes as well.

When the heaving subsided enough she looked reluctantly looked back up at the hill, praying and pleading with God aloud that she would not have to see her own mother meet that fate.
A crack of thunder tore apart the skies and moments later fat, half-frozen raindrops began to fall from above. The temperatures plummeted but Liesabet refused to leave where she was. She had to be sure.

Teeth chattering frenziedly, she sat there as slowly as all the others retreated to the somewhat warmer shelter that the barracks provided. Row after row of people were lined up and killed until she felt numb and her mind was close to shutting down completely. Towards the end more and more people began to line up and Liesabet had a horrid thought of all the guards behind the hill becoming bored and cold, just wanting to finish this unpleasant task.

Finally when she thought that there could not possibly be any more people for them to kill, a familiar figure slowly emerged into view. Trudging slowly through the mud, hunched over with the cold and as if she were bearing the weight of a thousand bricks on her shoulders, Liesabet's mother climbed the hill and took her place atop the crest. Her lovely raven hair streamed long and free from her braid and whipped about in the blustery wind.

Liesabet recognized her instantly and a hoarse scream lodged itself in her throat.

"Nooo Mutter, Mutter, No!"

But her dying voice was captured by the fickle winds and storm and was lost, never reaching it's intended destination. She became hysterical and grasped at the barbed wire not caring as it drove it's wicked barbs into her palms and shook the fence violently, screaming and sobbing until she was too weak and spent to continue. Her mother could niether see nor hear her.

The final shot finally rang out. Her mother did not make a sound as the bullet tore through her back and out the front of her chest. She sank to her knees slowly and then as her life's blood poured out into the mud, haltingly keeled over onto her side. Her eyes remained open and a moment later became unseeing and vacant.

After witnessing that Liesabet slowly began to give up, emotionally and physically. She unclenched her iron grip on the fence and sank back to the ground which was now reduced to a sea of freezing muck. Though her voice was long gone she managed to utter a muffled and gutteral half-sob, half-groan of despair. The feeling of loneliness became excrutiatingly overwhelming and seemed to cover her like a thick dark shroud of fog. She was truly alone now.

The rain began to intensify into pounding, incessant sheets driving themselves into the Earth and crashing down upon her shoulders, drenching every scrap and fiber of her being. She curled into the fetal position and just lay there, staring at the place where her mother had fallen not caring as the cold slowly worked through her body making her stiff and numb.

Drifting in and out of conciousness, thoughts of Rory entered her mind, swirling with thoughts of her now former life. She dreamed of his face and his smile, how she longed to see his smile once again. Had he discovered that they were gone? Had he gone to her home and seen her father's lifeless form sprawled inside the doorway? Was he searching for her?

Voices broke into her hazy state and she blinked to find a trio of guards stalking through the mud puddles of the compound in her direction. When they reached her the tallest of the three ordered her to stand.

"Aufstehen!", his voice shouted through the pounding rain.

When she did not move he threw a leg back, threatening to kick her. She moaned and raised a hand, trying to tell him that she could not stand but he would not listen.

"Aufstehen!", he commanded once more.

But she could not, her legs were frozen beneath her and she could not feel them. A strangled sob burst from her lips as he let his leg go and sank the toe of his boot deep into her side, catching her just beneath the ribcage. Tears immediately sprang to her eyes as waves of white-hot pain seared her body, paralyzing her with their intensity.

"Bitte Ich kippe!, Please I can't!", she pleaded hoarsely.

But he merely nodded to the shorter blonde man beside him who stepped in and kicked her as well, this time in the side of the head. Blood streamed down her face from the deep cut but still she could not stand. Sighing deeply and rolling his eyes he nodded once again to the other two men who grasped her firmly by the arms and yanked her roughly to a standing position.

The taller one stepped closer and grabbed her aching face in his gloved hand, jerking it up to his own. He smelled of leather and sweat. "Bitch, wenn ich Ihnen sage stehen Sie stehen!, When I tell you to stand you stand!", he hissed before shoving her away and flicking a wrist at the other two.

A series of tortured moans escaped her as they jostled her bruised side mercilessly whilst they dragged her away from the fence through the mud. She cast one last sorrowful glance at the silent hill beyond and saw her tall tormentor light a cigarette before her vision slowly began to fade into blackness.

She awoke some time later on a bunk with several other older woman who didn't appear to be pleased at the prospect of sharing their bed with another and stared at her indifferently before returning to their hushed small talk amongst themselves.

Liesabet made an attempt to sit up straight, feeling her head spin and her body scream in pain as she did so. Every fiber of her being seemed to be stiff and on edge. Her head throbbed with an intense ferocity where she had been struck and she raised a hand to the wound tentatively. When she brought it away she found fresh blood upon her palm. It was still bleeding.

Sighing she gazed around the small barrack in which she had been placed and marveled at how many were packed into such a cramped area. The smell was like nothing she had ever experienced. Human excrement and the smell of death permeated the air around her and stung her nostrils.

Bunks thrown together with leftover wood and rusty nails were stacked four high and three deep along the walls while along the center ran a long brick ledge. Straw was strewn everywhere in a pathetic attempt to provide bedding. The room was lit by two small electric lights and whatever light that the lone window near the ceiling on the left wall provided. It was a mere fifteen by twenty inches and was fogged over almost completely.

Fellow inmates like herself were everywhere, filling the bunks, sprawled along and atop the ledge, and some even standing for lack of a place to lay their heads. Liesabet found that she and the rest of the new arrivals stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest. They were so healthy and robust compared to the malnourished skeleton-like beings that were about her. Their skin was a ghastly shade of yellow and seemed to stretch painfully tight across their bony bodies as they lay on their bunks.

Many stared unseeing off into some distant place in their minds, their faces completely devoid of any emotion while others visibly bore their pain and suffering clearly on their haggard and frail countenances. She found several looking at her with clear envy on their faces as they scrutinized her healthy skin, hair, and body weight and began to feel increasingly uncomfortable.

She closed her eyes and laid back once more, trying to ignore the throbbing pain that racked her body. Several minutes later she heard the large wooden door creak open slightly letting in a draft of brisk, wet air and the soft tones of a young woman's voice as it mixed with the grumblings of several of the women complaining of the cold. The door was closed once again and the voice began to draw nearer and nearer closing in on the place where Liesabet lay.

"Excuse me please, so sorry, excuse me", the voice called out as it wove between the many women strewn about on the floor.

Liesabet opened her eyes and risked a glance at what was coming. A slight bit of a young woman near to her own age dressed in similar dreary rags approached her bearing a small chipped cup. When she had reached her side she handed the cup to Liesabet with a cheery smile that bespoke her optimism despite their circumstances.

"Here, have some water, it may help."

Liesabet reached for the cup and took a moment to study the girl's features before bringing it to her lips. She was unnaturally thin and the bones in her face jutted out in awkward angles as a result. Her greyish eyes, though slightly sunken in, had a welcoming sparkle to them that warmed the corners of Liesabet's heart. She smiled as Liesabet tipped the cup to her mouth, her cracked lips parting to reveal yellow and broken teeth.

The water was cool and refreshing as it slid past Liesabet's swollen tongue and down her parched throat and she drained the cup.

"I saw what happened, I'm sorry. My name is Corrie", the girl said quietly and slid the cup from Liesabet's grasp.

"Vielen Dank Corrie. My name is Liesabet", she replied with the slightest semblance of a smile as she watched the girl pull a scrap of cloth from her dress pocket and turn to her, gesturing to her head.

"May I?"

Liesabet nodded and the girl brought the cloth to her lips to moisten it before beginning to dab it alongside the now-clotting wound. She could hear Corrie clucking with her tongue as she saw the deepness of the cut and for a moment she thought of her mother doing the same when she was a child.
Last edited by d@ydre@mer27 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." ~courtesy of one of history's funniest men, Groucho Marx. ^_^

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:05 am
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Day.

Thanks so much for the request! I would appreciate, though, if you don't mind, if you could post in my WRFF thread because it's easier for me to keep track of. Oh. and please post the link. :D

I so enjoy reading this. Do you know anyone who has been through this pain? You describe it so well! I'm enthralled with your story. And I so envy your talent.

I don't have any nitpicks. I can't wait to see where this is headed. What will happen to her. I hope it'll all end well *crosses fingers*

Tanya :D

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:05 pm
Kiwisatsuma says...

Hi! :)

So... this review is ridiculously late. I'm really sorry it took so long. I've been a fairly absent YWSer recently, but review day finally pushed me into getting round to this. Again, I really like the writing in this. The description are really vivid and I have to admit, I find it a fairly depressing read. Which means you're doing a really good job of capturing the atmosphere! :smt003 So, all I have are few nitpicks.

Row after row of people were lined up and killed until she felt numb and her mind was close to shutting down completely. Towards the end more and more people began to line up

The repitition of "line up" feels unnecessary and sticks out a bit here.

"NOOO Mutter, Mutter, NOOO!"

This could be a really powerful moment, but I think the capslock drawn out "NOOO" makes the dialogue a bit cartooney and unbelievable. It might work better if you kept it in lowercase and put a comma after the first "NOOO", but.. I dunno. It's kind of cliche however you go about it. So maybe it might be better if you didn't use that at all and rather described the sound she makes outside of dialogue. I'm not sure; it's up to you in the end. :)

it's

You use 'it's' short for 'it is' and 'its' for possession. So you don't need an apostrophe. I think this happened a couple of other times too.

When the shot finally could be heard in the distance, it seemed to be in slow motion. Her mother did not make a sound as the bullet tore through her back and out the front of her chest.

Okay, this is entirely personal preferance, and you/others may well disagree, but to me, describing it as in motion feels kind of cliche. Like, the kind of trick that's used in the movies all the time (to good effect) but doesn't work so well in stories, because in real life things don't slow down at crucial moments. They just happen. So I think it might be more realistic if you had the actual action of her mother being shot happen at usual pace, and then the detachment set in afterwards, once the consequences sink in to Liesabet. But again, this is just a suggestion.

She dreamed of his face and his smile, how she longed to see his smile once again.

This is a comma splice, so it might be better with a semi-colon instead of a comma. Also the repitition of 'smile' seems a bit redundant to me. Perhaps you could describe his smile the second time so it's not just an unnecessary repitition, or if not then you could just put 'it' and it would be fine, I think.

"I saw what happened, I'm sorry. My name is Corrie",

The comma goes inside the speech mark.

Overall, this was another really great chapter. I think the main issue is making sure the really emotional moments hit the right note, because it's easy for it to come off as cartoonish or cliche, and to rely on techniques that are kind of overused and so don't have that much of an emotional impact. To a certain extend, the reaction you have is "seen this before" when you hear about things being in slow motion, or someone feeling numb. I'm not sure exactly how you can go about changing this because it's a difficult line to tread and I pretty much suck at it, which is why I write silly stuff all the time. XD But perhaps try and use original imagery to describe her feelings.

The feeling of loneliness became excrutiatingly overwhelming and seemed to cover her like a thick dark shroud of fog.

for example is amazing. So something similar for the earlier stages of grief might work well. I don't know really. I'm just speculating here to be honest. :mrgreen:

That's not to say I didn't like it because this continues to be brilliant. I especially liked the part at the end where the girl came to take care of her, and Liesabet thinking about Rory. It just feels a bit silly repeating "THIS IS SO GOOD" every time. :D

Aaaand this seems to have turned into a 4000 character epic. That's what happens when I don't review for ages. xD But anyway, PM me if you have any more questions and I really will try not to leave such a big gap before I get onto the next chapter although I can't make any promises. (I'm unreliable like that X_X)

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:47 pm
Azila says...

Hi!

Wow. This piece really is getting better and better. I know I've said that before, but it's true. Your style is perfectly suited to describing the disgusting, hellish camp, since you write in a very detached and impersonal way. But I've said all of this before, haven't I? As far as this chapter goes, I think you did marvelously. It's painful, and very hard to read, and (as Kiwisatsuma said) that's a great sign as far as your writing goes. I really get a sense of bleakness, of terror and grief and hopelessness, and of so, so many people who are all practically walking dead. It's terrifying, and it's disgusting and it's horrible--but that's how it was. Actually, it was probably worse than we can even imagine.

As I've said before, I would still like more of a sense of how much the inmates know about the camp. It feels like everyone just accepts their fate--but do they even know what there fate is? And isn't there any sense of them wanting to resist? Of course, physical resistance in impossible, because of the strict supervision and because everyone is too weak and sick... but what about mental resistance? I guess I can see that in Corrie, and maybe the other people who have been there for a while, but I guess I'm just a little surprised at how Liesabet succumbed to grief and helplessness so soon. She only feels weak and sad and I can hardly see any anger in her. This might just be her personality, but I really feel like she's like a leaf, just blowing around and hardly noticing where she goes and what happens to her. Is that intentional on your part? Because personally, I'd like to see a little more of who she is rather than just seeing the things that happen to her.

I know I've said this before, too, but I wish I had a better idea of the layout of the camp. Especially, I'd like to know how close Liesabet was to her mother when she died. Was she close enough to really see her face? Was she so far away that she could hardly recognize her mother? That's a really powerful scene as it is, but I think if I had some spacial sense of it, it would be all the more poignant.

The last thing I'll address is Liesabet's reaction to her mother's death. I think here, in particular, is one place that could benefit greatly from you showing more of Liesabet's thoughts. She waits to see her mother because she has to be sure--but isn't there a part of her that doesn't want to know? A part of her that wants to run away from the gunfire and wants to think forever that, somehow, her mother survived? I thought the part where she saw her mother and tried to call to her was really well done. I so wish her mother could have seen her if just for a split second... but I think it's more powerful this way. After her mother died, though, I thought Liesabet's reaction was a little weak. These things are so hard to write about, especially if they are things you have never experienced because I think that in order to write about them effectively you have to experience them in your own mind. Imagine yourself in Liesabet's place. Imagine how you would feel if you saw... well, it's too horrible to think about, really, but if you're going to write about it I think you have to try and put yourself in your character's place.

Maybe add some more shock? Some more not being able to believe that that corpse lying on top of the hill is the mother who she has known all her life? Of course, I have no idea how I would feel in that situation (and I have no intention of figuring out) but I think I would be somewhat in denial. I would try to convince myself that no, that couldn't be my mother. That that was someone else and my mother was still alive.

Though I liked the part where she thinks about Rory, I have to admit it felt a little weird to me. I mean, she has just seen her mother being murdered and she's thinking about her boyfriend? It wouldn't be that weird except that she doesn't think about her loved ones all that much so when she does, it stands out--and I wonder if that time in this chapter should be devoted to her mother. She doesn't have to not think about Rory, but I would think she'd be remembering her mother as well. And what about her father? Does she know for a fact that he is dead? Maybe when you mention her feeling of loneliness, you could back it up by her realization that she has nobody left except Rory? That might be a nice way of segwaying into her thinking about him without making it seem like she's completely forgetting about her mother.

Oh, and I have to say that I really like Corrie. I see a (albeit painful) friendship forming between her and Liesabet, and I look forward to that. I can't wait to see what comes next.

a

Queerly beloved, we are gathered here togay.
— KateHardy