z

Young Writers Society

Into the Depths. 2 *Edited*

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:30 am
Elinor says...

Click here to join the fan page for Into the Depths.

Summary of Chapter 1
Spoiler! :
Madeleine Grey, a seventeen-year old English girl living in Jamaica, awakes in the middle of the night to the sound of strange noises. After many attempts, she can't make them out, and she falls asleep. That night she is plagued with a disturbing dream in which she rides in a carriage into the bottom of a lake, and watches her older sister Helena die in the process. The next morning she wakes up to find that her sister, who she has not seen in six months due to her marriage, has returned home for a short time while their father, a naval Admiral, and Helena's husband, a naval captain, are away on a naval mission. As the two catch up, Madeleine learns that her sister is pregnant. The two take out their horses and go riding on their favorite trail.

--

They rode far and they rode slow. They wanted to make the most of every moment, for they had a lot to talk about and catch up on, but they each were also trying to watch the time so that Sarah wouldn't fret if she finished lunch and the two still hadn't shown up. They weren't too concerned – after all, the servant was with them, and both Madeleine and Helena knew that he wouldn't let them stay out too late.
For the first part of the ride, neither spoke, taking everything that there was to be seen on the trail that they each had took many times before. It was mid-August, and although the weather was usually devilishly hot around this time, today was cool and breezy. They circled through the premises of their estate a few times before finally heading down the massive green hill that separated their estate from the rest from the rest of Port Royal. As they were heading down the hill, Madeleine spoke.
“Have you thought about any names for the baby?”
Helena shrugged. “I don't know,” she said. “It depends on whether the child is male or female, and what George thinks. However, I would love either Martha or Jane for a girl. Maybe Samuel for a boy.” She shifted her gaze to a nearby palm tree, and then back toward Madeleine. “Of course, George will want to name the child after him or father should it a boy.”
“Is Harris—err, George excited?” Madeleine blushed a little. As she did not know him well, she had been used to calling her sister's husband by his last name, but now that she was with Helena,
Helena paused for a moment before answering, her eyes downward, toward her stomach. “I think so,” she said quietly. “He'll want a boy, someone who can follow in his footsteps.” Again, she looked down at her stomach. “Father would like that too.”
Madeleine tugged on her reins slightly so that Alice would slow down. “What do you mean?”
Helena narrowed her eyes. “Isn't it obvious? Father had you and me,” she whispered. “Two daughters, but never a son. Never someone who he could teach what's he learned in the navy to, never someone who could actually go somewhere in their life.”
“Helena, you know father loves us.”
“I'm not saying he doesn't,” Helena said, “but isn't it obvious that he always wanted a son, not a daughter?”
“What's gotten into you?”
Helena's voice was starting to rise now. “Nothing's gotten into me, Madeleine. I'm perfectly calm. I'm just trying to say--”
“Never mind,” Madeleine whispered. She could feel her eyes shifting away from her sister, and she felt confused. Why had Helena raised her voice like that? Madeleine had said nothing offensive, nothing that could harm her. Instead of dwelling on it too much, Madeleine decided to change the subject. “Helena, how does feel to be out riding again?”
Helena smiled, her eyes beaming as if nothing had happened. “Oh, it's wonderful,” she said quietly. “It's really, really wonderful. It feels so free out here, so open, you know?”
Madeleine gave off a weak smile. She could tell that her sister was about something, but she didn't know exactly what. “I'm glad you enjoy it. I haven't been on this trail since you've left. Didn't we go the night before your wedding?”
“We did.”
“Then it's been six months,” Madeleine said. “Six months since I've really been riding. I mean, I've taken Alice around the premises of our home a few times. But it's not the same when I'm riding with you, on this trail.”
Helena laughed. “That's very flattering,” she said. “Have you taken out Snow at all? I don't mind if you do! Spending all of his days in a stable--”
“Don't worry, I've taken him out.”
“That's good,” Helena said, smiling.
By this time, their horses had come to a denser, more wooded area. The two exchanged glances and smiled. They were getting closer to the beach, which was their mutual favorite part of the trail.
“Has father tried to marry you off yet?” Helena asked.
“Some,” Madeleine whispered. “He was absolutely mad about it a few months ago. Now I think he's somewhat settled down.”
“That's good,” Helena said. “You're only seventeen. You should still have some time before you have to worry about going and getting married.”
“A lot of people do when they're seventeen,” Madeleine said. “Younger, even. You know that, Helena.”She ended her sentence with a slight laugh.
“Do you want to get married?”
Madeleine froze. It had caught her somewhat off-guard; she hadn't been expecting it and thus didn't know how to respond. In her lifetime, she'd never thought about it, really. To her it had seemed to be something was required in life to be a woman and by getting married she would complete her journey from child to adult. However, she'd not thought about it in the sense as to whether she had wanted it or not. If she was of lower class and could marry whom she chose—for love—it was possible that she would have a different opinion. She had read many tales of romance, but she knew that it was unlikely that it would happen to her, that she could marry the man she loved (if she ever did fall in love). Her father would choose her suitor, so it was possible that he could find someone she liked. Maybe then she would want to marry, but it could easily go the other way.
“It depends,” Madeleine said simply. She could feel her throat closing up and her cheeks becoming red. “Do you like being married, Helena?” She instantly regretted saying it. The question had been her mind since she had asked her sister about the baby names and she had responded in somewhat of a harsh manner. She could feel her face flushed with embarrassment. and in waiting for Helena's reply she kept her eyes sorely concentrated on Alice's dark mane.
To her surprise and relief, Helena was not upset. She was not joyous, but her eyes were distant; she seemed to be elsewhere. “That's a difficult question to answer, Madeleine,” she said. “I like George, yes. He's kind and very caring and I know that he will be a good father. At the same time, I miss being so carefree, being so innocent. I miss my lessons, and I miss spending time with you. Since I've been back home, it's like nothing's changed.” Madeleine didn't catch the last sentence. She started to ask Helena what she had said, but then decided against it.
They rode on in silence for a little while longer, and Madeleine soon became aware that Helena was trailing behind her.
“Are you coming?”
Helena shrugged and tugged absentmindedly at her horse's reign. “He isn't going. I don't know why.” She craned her neck downward so her face was level with that of her horse and she began speaking to him in a soft tone. “Is everything alright?”
Snow whinnied softly but refused to move.
Madeleine sighed. All of the sudden, her horse stopped too. She tried a similar approach that Helena had, but Alice wouldn't move. For a brief moment, she shared a confused look with her sister.
It was then that the servant, who was starting to catch up with the girls, spoke. “Perhaps they're tired. Maybe we can take a rest when we get to the beach.” Madeleine was initially alarmed by his voice as he had been quiet for the whole trail and she had forgotten that he was with them.
Madeleine and Helena both nodded; it was a good idea. By this time, they could see the palm trees of the beach of the distance. Helena dismounted Snow and grabbed her horses reins. Madeleine did the same.
“We can walk them the rest of the way,” Helena told her sister. “I suppose there will be a tree we can find and tie their reins to and we can walk along the shoreline. That would be fun.”
“Yes,” Madeleine said. The two proceeded along the remainder of the wooded area, edging their horses on slowly but steadily. “Come on, Al,” Madeleine would whisper to her horse in the special gentle voice she used when talking to her. “It's not far and then you'll get to rest for a while.”
Just as the ground they were walking on turned from mud and fallen sticks to sand, hot and sticky, the servant caught up with them. He too had dismounted his force and was leading it by the reigns. “If I may, I will take your horses for you and find a place where they can rest and will not get away. You two may do what you wish on the beach for a while, but we will have to start back soon.”
They nodded and handed the reigns of their horses to the servant and walked toward the vast blue ocean, where the waves were gently curling back and forth. Madeleine smiled as an idea crossed her head. “Let's take off our shoes and we can feel the water at our feet.”
Helena frowned. “I don't think that would be--”
“Who says?”
Helena gave off a weak laugh and bent down, kicking her shoes off her feet. Madeleine smiled and did the same.
So for a while they walked along the edge of the water, their feet cool, refreshed. They talked and laughed and informed each other about what they had been doing for the past six months. For a minute or so, she had almost forgotten that her sister had ever left. As they walked, they could see the docks looming ahead, just beyond the leaves of a few coconut trees. Despite that they were far, they seemed massive, busy; and they were.
It was then that they noticed a figure walking along the beach. He was a young man, no more than twenty, and by his simple clothes they could tell that he was a merchant. He was carrying a bundle of packages, and appeared to be struggling with them.
“I think he's heading toward the docks,” Madeleine said, pointing to them. They were fairly close by now. “He looks like he needs help.”
“He will be fine,” Helena said quietly. “Besides, I think we need to be getting back.”
“It won't be a minute. If you don't want to help him, that's fine. I'm going to, though.”
When she said this, they noticed the man trip. He dropped the packages and their contents, wood planks, scattered all across the ground. He took a deep breath and frantically tried to start picking them.
Helena sighed. She started to say something but instead simply began walking back toward the servant and their horses. “I'll wait for you,” she whispered.
Madeleine approached the man and started to pick up the wood planks. “Are you alright, sir?”
“I'm fine,” he said, clearly embarrassed. Madeleine noticed that he had a thick Irish accent. “I'm just carrying these packages over to the dock to meet a carpenter who is a friend of mine. I'm a silversmith, and so we help each other with various tasks because we do not have apprentices.”
“Do you want me to help you carry these packages, sir?”
He obviously wanted help, but Madeleine guessed he was humiliated. “Miss, I'll be fine carrying these the rest of the way. I don't have that far to go.”
“Are you sure?”
“Well--”
Madeleine smiled and began putting the planks in the boxes – there were four in all – and sanding them off. “I'll just take one of them.”
“Alright,” he said, blushing as finished putting the wood planks in the boxes. He took the other three boxes and they began to walk. “Thank you for this help, Miss, I do appreciate it.”
“You're very welcome.”
They didn't talk until they started to come into full range of the docks, when he finally asked what her name was.
“Madeleine,” she said. “Madeleine Grey.”
“Grey?” He seemed surprised. “Is Admiral Edward Grey--”
“Yes,” Madeleine said, “Edward Grey is my father.”
“He was decorated by King George I, wasn't he?”
“Yes, and Queen Anne as well.” Madeleine started to laugh.
“Well,” he said, “Madeleine, daughter of the revered Admiral Grey, I consider it an honor you are helping me with my boxes.”
Madeleine didn't know what to say; she let out a small smile.
“Well, err the reason I ask,” he said. “I met your father a week ago. He ordered some candle holders from me. I don't know if he told this to you or not, but they're almost finished. I'll be bringing them by your home soon, so I suppose our paths will across again.”
“I suppose so,” Madeleine said. They approached the docks, and Madeleine saw someone wave toward to the man.
“I think I can take it from here,” he said, “Thank you.”
“It was my pleasure,” Madeleine said.
They waved to each other, and Madeleine began to race back toward Helena and their horses. It was about time, she figured, to be getting home.
Last edited by Elinor on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:58 pm
wonderland says...

Alright, so, I have one technical thing with this.

Okay, A)
“Snow,” Helena said, tugging back on her reigns. “Go!”

In horse back riding, tugging on the reigns is a sign that you want to stop. If the horse isn't moving, tugging on reigns will just make a hose mad and hard mouthed. You should change the to a gentle kick or a spur

Overall-It was good, but not exactly my type of story.

~WickedWonder
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:56 pm
Sins says...

Heya, Ellie. :)

I'm seeing the connection between your old version of Into the Depths and this recent version now. The Irish guy and the candle holders. :P I have to say that this version is certainly better, in my opinion. I can see that you took some of the reviewers advice when it came to Madeline's relationship with the Irish man being too fast. The way she's met him this time is far better than the time before. It doesn't seem as creepy that they'll meet up again now. xD

One issue that I had with this was a really minor one, but I will bring it up anyway. I don't know if it's just me looking into things in too much detail, but I found the sister's attitudes towards love a bit odd. During the period this is supposed to be set in, people didn't marry for love. You clearly know that, but their attitudes toward love used to also be different. Now, I'm not expert at all, so try not to take this critique as though I know exactly what I'm talking about because I don't really. I'm just basing this on what I've heard and have been taught.

What I'd suggest is that you keep it so that Alison does dream about falling in love, but have the "realistic" part of her mind tell her that she's being silly and that there is no such thing as love. Have her tell herself that it only happens in children's stories or something. It could be a nice touch to her personality. In the end, I didn't live back then, so I wouldn't know exactly how people thought and felt, but I think that the sister's attitudes towards love are a bit off. I don't think I'm making much sense here...

It's kind of like a hundred years ago, a majority of people thought the idea of being gay was absurd. The main reason for that was because they'd been brought up to simply think that way. Another one being because you just didn't see it happening often. The same goes for the idea of love in this time period. You just didn't see it often enough to believe that it existed. So, I'd like for you to keep Madeline dreaming of falling in love, but make her "logical" mind talk her out of it or something. I'll shut up about this now... I've blabbered enough as it is!

What wicked said about this was right. By pulling on reins, you're ordering a horse to stop. Helena wants Snow to keep on going, so by pulling back on the rains, she'd be telling the horse to do the opposite. I used to go horse riding, so that's how I know this. Who knew my horse riding experience would come in handy? :lol:

The main issue with this chapter for me is the scene where Helena leaves Madeline to meet up with the Irish guy. It just seemed... weird? Would Helena really leave her sister to talk to some stranger neither of them know? Especially considering she's Madeline's older sister. Surely, she'd be protective over her? Madeline told Helena to leave, and she did. It was as simple as that. Do you see how this seems a little odd? Helena didn't even consider the fact that the man could have been anyone, from a friend to some crazed murderer.

Maybe you could have both of the girls notice, and Madeline ask Helena if they should help. Then you could have the servant call Helena over for whatever reason. Helena tells Madeline that she's just going to see what the servant wants, and that she'll be back in a minute. Madeline then goes to help the Irish guy, maybe without her sister's permission. Then when Helena returns, she can be a bit angry at Madeline for talking to a man she didn't know. Something like that.

Madeleine That was when Madeleine kept noticing that Helena kept glancing down at her stomach, rubbing it, patting it, and looking at it nervously.

A little mistake here. ;)

I'm enjoying this so far, Ellie, so yay! I'm a fan of pirates, oceans and stuff, so I like where this could be heading. From what I've read so far, this is a pretty original novel. The SB you made a while back was based on this, wasn't it? I remember the ship's name being the same as the one in this. I liked that SB. I wish it hadn't died. xD

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Spoiler! :
This is my 550th review! :P
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:01 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey, Ellie! I'm here to review, I apologize for taking so long to get to it but I kept having little things pop up here and there.

Anyway, it seems that skins has basically gotten to the main nitpicks that there were so I won't go and repeat them. However, there are a few things that I noticed in this chapter that I'd like to talk about. Firstly, maybe it's just me but the relationship between the sisters seem so great and wonderful that it seems almost fake at times. Perhaps you could insert some little tension or some sort of disagreement between them on anything, like which color clothes look better to make them seem a little more realistic. Even if it's this time period I feel like you can't always get along like clouds and sunshine, you know what I mean?

Your writing was great as usual, no grammatical errors or anything much of that sort which was great. I did notice a few parts where you seemed to do some tiny bits of info dumping such as the scene with the horse background but I didn't think it was much so don't pay too much attention to it, I suppose.

On the bright side, this chapter is very much less 'telly' and a little more 'showy' than the previous one which is great. The dialogue was wonderful too. You seem to have captured the taste of the era and it's interesting to see how formally you've written this.

Wow, that was an epically short and unhelpful review. I apologize for that. It seems that I don't have much to comment on. Your story is moving a steady pace but not slow enough for me to feel bored, which is sort of calming. I agree with Freak (Skins) on the talking to the stranger guy. Anyway, besides that, I did enjoy reading what you had.

Good job,
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 am
View Likes
Octave says...

Finally here. ^^" Comments and corrections in red.

Elinor Brynn wrote:Click here to join the fan page for Into the Depths.

Summary of Chapter 1
Spoiler! :
Madeleine Grey is a seventeen year old English girl living with her father, an Admiral in the Royal Navy, in Port Royal, Jamaica. She awakes in the middle of the night after two vivid and disturbing dreams regarding her nineteen year old sister, Helena, who she has not seen in many months since she was married earlier in the year. In the first one, they are reunited in England after months and can only talk for seconds. In the second one, Helena dies. Their housekeeper, Sarah, hears Madeleine's screams and promises to fetch her tea. Madeleine sits in her chair and becomes disturbed at the long amount of time it takes her, so she starts to go downstairs to the kitchen. She stops midway, as she hears voices and the exchange of words. Tired, she returns to her chair where she falls asleep.

--

When Madeleine awoke, she had no idea what time it was. She just knew, from the blinding sunlight which her curtains just barely shielded This part of the sentence is clunky. Revise. Also, "just" tends to weaken prose. and the way her joints were sore, that it was late. This makes her sound old. oo It was probably the (I think so, anyway. oo) afternoon already. Why hadn't Sarah woken her up yet? Then she remembered it was Saturday, and that she had no lessons today. Mrh. I think this whole paragraph is a little wordy,and it feels like filler. However, Sarah would usually wake her up around ten, notusually letting her sleep into the afternoon.
She realized she was still in the chair and got up, yawning and stretching out her arms. It was one-thirty, according to the grandfather clock just beside her door. There was a knock. "A knock came", or "A knock interrupted her" would be better. Your sentence is just weak, IMO.
“Miss Madeleine? It's Sarah.”
“Come in,” said Madeleine.
Sarah was smiling and carrying a tray of something Something? ._. I feel like you're trying to draw out the scene.. Upon closer inspection, Madeleine saw that they were glazed jelly buns – Madeleine's favorite breakfast treat. Her eyes widened, and Sarah simply laughed. Magic. Sarah knew when Madeleine woke up. oo The timing is too obvious, and it's unnatural. I'd even go as far as to say it's impossible, unless Sarah was extremely lucky or psychic.
“Well, Miss Madeleine, Sarah sounds like a robot if you put that in. you didn't get to have your tea; you were already asleep when I came in to give it to you. Besides, you looked like as if (I think it'd be more appropriate for the time period? oO Maybe?) you were not feeling so well last night and I also figured you must have heard us downstairs and must have been gotten (Don't use five words where one will do) upset. I wanted to do something special for you.” She handed the tray to Madeleine, who sat back in her chair and began to eat them greedily. I'm fairly sure manners are ingrained into women of those times. oo
“There's also something else, Madeleine,” Sarah said. “You should eat quickly, because there is a surprise for you downstairs.”
“A surprise?” Madeleine said. “What sort of surprise?”
“You'll see,” said Sarah, who was smiling widely. “Just eat, then get dressed, preferably in something nice. I will be out in the stables; I believe Snow and Alice need to be groomed. You can come get me if you need anything, dear. Leave the tray on the desk. I'll come get it later.” I don't know, but this sounded very off to me. oo Would servants really be this comfortable with their masters? oO And would it be all right of them to ask the master to come fetch them? Also, surely they have a separate servant to tend to the stables? ._.
“Alright,” Madeleine said softly. As Sarah left, she finished her last bun and then started to rummage through her wardrobe. I always thought their clothes were prepared for them. (They're rich, no?) I also thought they had help getting dressed. But I'm not a history geek, so. oo"
She found a light blue dress with a pink floral bodice. She didn't remember where she had gotten it, but it was one of her favorites. Despite this, she seldom wore it, because she wanted to keep it in as good condition as possible. Madeleine supposed that she could wear it today. Five minutes later she was dressed and ready to go downstairs. Weren't their clothes more complicated and difficult to wear back then? She was just anxious to know what this surprise was. Show her reaction, don't tell us.

When she walked downstairs, she went passed the kitchen and dining room until she reached the parlor. It might be nice if you skipped over some of her actions. This feels incredibly laundry-list-esque. oo
That was when she saw someone who looked very familiar sitting on the couch. Her blonde waves hung loosely over her face, her ice-blue eyes shone and her cheeks were rosier then ever. She was sewing the beginning of what looked like a little blanket.
“Helena?”
“Hi,” she said with a soft whisper. “I've missed you.”
“Me too.” She Antecedents, as usual. ran to hug her sister, and they both laughed. But for some reason, Madeleine was not nearly as happy and ecstatic as she felt she should be. It was the two dreams and how they eerily fit together – happiness, joyfulness, innocence, and then death. She could not stop thinking about them when she looked at her sister. Very heavy-handed. And if it's not foreshadowing, it's just plain useless and annoying. oo Try making it subtler?
“Is everything alright?”
“Yes,” Madeleine said, “Everything is fine.” Fine sounds out of place. oo But maybe it's just me.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes,” she repeated, “It's so wonderful that you're here, but why didn't father and I know about it first? Rephrase/reword. It's awkward. Why is it just you that is visiting? Stiff. Very stiff. >.O In your letters, you said that you wanted to bring Harris with you whenever you got the opportunity to come and visit us.”
Helena sighed, slumping back into the couch. “George isn't here, nor is Father. They don't know how long they'll be gone for – it will probably be a while, though.”
“Why?”
“I'm not sure I fully understand it, but it seems as though pirates have been spotted near here. Not just any pirates, though. They spotted the April Hawk, and you know how much they're wanted. So last night George received an urgent message to join one of the shipsthatthey were gathering together to go find them. He didn't feel safe leaving me alone, so he brought me over here. We'll be with Sarah and the rest of the servants for a while.”
Madeleine sighed and balled her left hand into a loose fist. "Balled" and "loose fist" seem to clash here, but I think it's just me. oo “I hope they will be alright,” she whispered. In truth, she was not too concerned – their father was an Admiral, a big naval war hero who had escaped many dangerous situations. Infodump. Short, but still too obvious for my liking. oo Helena's husband, Captain George Harris, had also showed promise and bravery; that was why their father arranged for them Antecedents. This sounds very funny right now. >.O to be married.
“I do also,” Helena replied. That was when Madeleine noticed that Helena kept glancing down at her stomach, rubbing it, patting it, and looking at it nervously.
“What's the matter?”
Helena quickly glanced up and her face turned beet red. After a second of silence, she emitted a wide smile. “Oh, Madeleine. I forgot that I didn't tell you.”
“Tell me what?”
“Madeleine,” Helena said, tears forming in her eyes, “Madeleine, I'm pregnant.”
“Oh, that's wonderful!” Madeleine said, hugging her sister. “Congratulations! Do you know when-”
“Sometime in March or April. I just found out two nights ago.”
“Does Father--” Just a note, but the term Father evokes coldness and unfamiliarity. This implies that Madeleine isn't all that close with her Father, or that her Father is uptight and isn't very emotionally invested in them.
“Yes, father knows.” Helena sighed, picking up the unfinished blanket. “I'm making this for the baby. It's plain right now, but I will add to it when I know if they are a girl or a boy.” Meaning after she gives birth. oo I'm fairly sure they couldn't find out the sex of the baby back then, so you might as well say "after I give birth" or something. She continued to hold the blanket, this time fidgeting with it. Madeleine simply watched her sister, unsure of what to say. “I really hope George will be alright,” Helena finally said. “I don't want my child to be without a father.”
“He won't,” That sounds like a "he won't be all right". oo" Madeleine said softly. “He's a very brave person; he'll make it through.”
“He promised to try and send me a letter as soon as he could,” Helena said, “Hopefully we'll hear something from him, and father too, soon.” I hope they understand the men can't send letters while they're at sea. oo They'll need to dock first.
“Yes,” Madeleine said, moving over to the couch.
“Do you think Sarah would let us take our horses for rides before lunch?” Helena asked. “I haven't seen Snow since I've arrived. I hope she hasn't forgotten who I am—have you taken good care of her?”
Madeleine smiled. Snow was Helena's horse that their father had gotten her for her seventeenth birthday. Madeleine had gotten her horse, for her birthday that year as well. However, when Helena married, she had moved to a much smaller house –there was no room for horses. So Snow had stayed in the care of the Grey family. “I think Sarah's out grooming them now! Let's go ask her.” This is beginning to sound like a teen girl's dream. oo I'm not sure it was customary for girls to receive horses for their birthdays? oO
“Yes, let's!” Helena said. She looked back at her blanket. “I'll finish that after lunch.” On that note, I wish I knew more about the time period. Each time period has certain superstitions unique to it, especially when it concerns pregnant women and such. :3 Do keep those in mind. ^^

When they got out to the stables, Sarah was just about finished. She had said that it would be fine as long as they didn't stay out for more then two hours – Sarah would fix lunch while they were gone. For their safety, a servant who worked in the gardens (Madeleine didn't know his name) was to go with them. A stable hand saddled up their horses, and they made their plan to go around the trail which circled around town. Horses can't move that fast for incredibly long periods of time, just so you know, so if the trail circles around town and it won't take them two hours, then this is probably a really small town. oo Plus, would Helena really risk horseback riding when she's pregnant? Especially with rumors of pirates being around? Pirates are still people who can walk on land, after all. >.O I'd think she'd be incredibly worried about her baby and would stay inside to stay safe. I'm not sure how much they know about pregnancy at this time, soo...
Upon seeing Helena, Snow had become ecstatic, whinnying furiously and nudging his head against Helena's shoulder. Madeleine watched this with a smile on her face. “I think he missed you.”
“Yes, I believe so!” Helena replied, laughing.
They mounted their horses and the servant that was to go with him mounted his, telling the sisters that he would stay about three feet behind, close enough that he could protect them if anything were to happen and far enough so that they would have their privacy.
“How have things been back home?” Helena asked. “Has father tried to marry you off at all?”
“Not so much now,” Madeleine replied, “He was absolutely mad about it a few months ago.”
“I see,” Helena said quietly. “Do you want to get married?” Duty over wants at that time, I think, and I think it was normal back then to marry at a young age. Growing old without getting married is fairly shameful, so not wanting to might be taboo. Or something.
At this, Madeleine turned bright red. She had never really thought about it before. Growing up, she knew that it would be her duty, as a Grey, to get married and produce children, and that it lay for her in the future one day. But she had never really thought about what she had wanted. “I'm not sure.” What if the man the father selected for her was mean? Old, shriveled? Those were her thoughts whenever father brought up marriage. She paused for a moment. Helena seemed happy, content. Maybe she even loved him.
Maybe it could be the same for Madeleine. After all, the prospect of being a mother seemed attractive to her. She loved children. “Well, I don't know, I guess.”
Helena laughed. “Make sure father lets you have some say in who he picks. I know he did for me. Make sure, whoever you do decide to marry, that it is someone you will be happy with.”
“Are you happy with Harris?” Madeleine asked. “Do you love him?”
Helena smiled. “I think so. I do want to spend the rest of my life with him, and I do enjoy being in his company, but if I could have done it any differently, I most likely would have chosen someone different – you know, not look at how impressive their background is or what job they have or how rich their family is, but just go with love. You're only seventeen, Madeleine. You still have some time before father will seriously worry about getting you married. Just make sure you make the right choice and that you're happy. I want you have to have a wonderful life.”
Madeleine didn't say anything.
“Oh, look at me,” Helena said, blushing again. “I probably seem like a fool, acting all patronizing toward you. But you're my little sister and I love you.” Patronizing =/= love. oo Patronizing = superiority, arrogance, and a touch of meanness drowned in honey
Madeleine didn't know what to say. She simply smiled.
Their horses were coming into a dense area of the woods, and they could see the clear blue water of the sea in the near distance.
“It's been such a long time since I've been on this trail,” Helena said with a sigh, “I'd almost forgotten how beautiful it is down here.”
“It is, isn't it?” Madeleine replied. “I haven't been on this trail since you've left, either – I wanted to wait for you to come back. It's just not the same without you.”
“Oh, Madeleine,” Helena said, “You didn't have to wait for me. Alice has probably gotten very grumpy, not being able to go for rides!”
“Oh, I've ridden her,” Madeleine said, “And Snow too. But just around the premises of the estate and the short trail a bit to the north of here. Never on this one.”
“You've ridden Snow?” Helena exclaimed, her voice full of mock anger. “Madeleine, how could you?”
Madeleine didn't know why, but she started laughing hysterically. Soon, Helena joined her.
“Is everything alright, ladies?” The servant called.
Helena tried to reply that everything was fine, but she could barely release the words through her laughing. Soon, as they were approaching the beach and the docks Madeleine was afraid that they had startled their horses, because they stopped suddenly.
Alice wouldn't move either. Their servant caught up with them and stopped his horse, dismounting. “They may be tired,” he said, “If it helps, maybe we can have them rest on the beach before we return home. I will watch them and you two can relax and socialize.”
“Alright,” said Madeleine, dismounting and grabbing the reins to guide her horse. “We don't have far to go, Alice. Just a little bit longer and you'll be able to rest.
Helena did the same. Once they got to the beach, the servant took the horses and tied their reigns on a tree branch. He then sat down next to them, and Helena and Madeleine started to walk down the shoreline.
“Just don't go too far,” the servant called. They nodded.
It was a lovely day. The beach was empty except for them, and the warm summer breeze that made the skirts of their dresses flutter slightly. Just in view, the looming docks stood, with many ships entering and leaving port and merchants carrying out their goods and materials. The sky was a brilliant blue, and the waves of the water flapped ever so gently. This is getting tedious. It's all boring and nothing really happens. oo Might try to inject conflict, because the sheer lack of it is killing me.
“So, have you thought of any names for the baby?” Madeleine asked.
“I don't know,” Helena said. “Maybe Martha or Elizabeth for a girl. John or Andrew for a boy. I suppose it depends on what George Harris or George? oo thinks as well.”
“Have you asked him about it?”
“No,” Helena said. She chuckled slightly. “All I know is that he would like for it to be a boy." Madeleine noticed that she was blushing, so she changed the subject. Why is Madeleine blushing? oo
“I wonder what Sarah's making for lunch.”
“I don't know,” Helena said. “Probably something delicious. She always makes the best meals—I've missed her cooking. We have a cook, Alison, who is very talented as well, but George wants to teach me to cook, which I am terrible at.” She laughed.
Madeleine was about to say something when she noticed someone coming in their direction. He was carrying a lot of packages and he looked like was struggling. Madeleine had never seen him before, but guessed he was a merchant. His clothes were not fine by any means but they were still in good condition. His hair was uncombed but his face and body looked clean. He stumbled over a rock and fell to the ground, wood planks scattering all over the sand. Madeleine and Helena shared a look.
“Go back to the horses, please,” Madeleine told her sister. “This won't be a minute.”
Helena was about to say something, but she changed her mind and ran back to where the servant was sitting.
Madeleine approached the man and started to pick up the wood planks. “Are you alright, sir?”
“I'm fine,” he said, clearly embarrassed. Madeleine noticed that he had a thick Irish accent. “I'm just carrying these packages over to the dock to meet a carpenter who is a friend of mine. I'm a silversmith, and so we help each other with various tasks because we do not have apprentices.” oo Let's pause and think about this. Would he really reveal that much to a stranger who only asked him if he was all right?
“Do you want me to help you carry these packages, sir?”
He obviously wanted help, but Madeleine guessed he was humiliated. “Miss, women of your stature shouldn't have to perform such tasks! I'll be fine carrying these the rest of the way. I don't have that far to go.” Feels a little forced. Try putting in a stutter. It might help.
Madeleine laughed and began putting the planks in the boxes – there were four in all – and sanding them off. “I'll just take one of the boxes.”
“Alright,” he said, blushing as finished putting the wood planks in the boxes. He took the other three boxes and began to walk. “Thank you for this help, Miss, I do appreciate it.”
“Yes,” Madeleine said. “I'm glad too.” What? oo What's she glad about?
They didn't talk until they got to the docks, when he finally asked what her name was.
“Madeleine,” she said. “Madeleine Grey.” So careless with the information. oo
“Grey?” He seemed surprised. “Are you the daughter of Admiral Edward Grey?”
“Yes,” Madeleine said, “Edward Grey is my father.”
“He was decorated by the King of England, wasn't he?”
“Yes.”
“Well, I consider it an honor that his daughter is helping me carrying boxes,” he said. Very forced. This conversation sounds orchestrated.
Madeleine started to laugh.
“I met your father a week ago,” he said. “He ordered some candle holders from me, and now they're almost finished. He spoke of you and your sister. Is that who you were with just now?”
“Yes, it was,” Madeleine said. They approached the docks, and Madeleine saw someone wave toward to the man.
“I think I can take it from here,” he said, “Thank you.”
“It was my pleasure,” Madeleine said. “I'm glad I got to meet you.”
“Me as well,” he said, “Hopefully I'll see you soon, when I come to deliver the candle holders.”
“Yes!” Madeleine said. They waved to each other, and Madeleine began to race back toward Helena, the servant, and their horses.

Okay! Final impressions:

After thinking about it for a while, I realized that it took a tremendous amount of effort for me to get through this chapter. Why? Because it lacked conflict. There wasn't anything to hold my interest. What little conflict was presented was lackluster and not all that great -I could smell the resolution coming from a while away. (That might be because I've read previous drafts, though.)

I like to think of each chapter as a small novel in itself - each chapter must have its own conflict, even if it's just a small one. Or maybe, if you'd rather divide chapters differently, think of the novel as a mountain, but not a perfect cone-shaped one - it's skewed towards the right, and so it takes some time to reach the peak, but the decline is fairly steep. Along the way, there should be little bumps on the mountain side - small conflicts that pepper the novel all throughout. These first two chapters are fairly weak in that they present nothing compelling that draws the reader's curiosity. Nothing makes us want to stay.

Maybe the dreams work on other readers. I don't know. oo I'll speak for myself and a few others, though, when I say they drove me off more than anything else did.

This chapter is completely filled with Helena and Madeleine's relationship, and it's quite standard. There aren't any little quirks or splatters of color on it that make it seem real. No little squabbles, and their teasing is very forced. You're going to have to work on character dynamics.

Also, so far, Helena is quite flat, as is Madeleine. You've spent so many words on describing needless actions when they could have been used to portray the characters doing something that'll add dimension to their characters. Try taking out a lot of what happened. Anything that isn't relevant to keeping the reader interested/building conflict/the plot ought to be scrapped/character development. The reader doesn't need to know what she had for breakfast, for example, but I'd keep it because it provides insight to Sarah's character. (By the way, Sarah is my favorite character so far. ^^)

Work on your dialogue and your description as well. Your dialogue is incredibly forced and stilted, and paragraphs of descriptions burst sporadically throughout your piece. Try to keep the description well spread-out and even. As for the dialogue, listen to conversations and try to say the lines out loud after writing them down. I understand this is a historical and they might speak strangely, but the flow of their dialogue (what they talk about and such) seems scripted, so work on that as well.

Also, I still can't see the plot, and this is already the second chapter. I usually want to have a whiff of it by the first, sooo hurry up, all right?

Do understand that history was never my strongest subject, and that a lot of stuff I pointed out up there might not really be right, and you might be the one in the right. But remember to fact-check, 'kay? These are just my two cents. I'm sorry it took me so long to get to it. I hope you found this helpful!

-Octave
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:15 pm
Elinor says...

This has been edited with the suggestions taken into account -- new feedback would be much appreciated!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:45 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hey El!

For me, this chapter was a lot better than the first. You can really see that you've got into your stride a little bit more here, so the writing has taken off and everything flows in a much more natural way. What you need to do is transfer this easiness that you have with the story into your first chapter so it doesn't feel so frantic and full of narrative trying to explain everything to the reader.

Your continuity seems off here. You say they ride slowly because they have so much to talk about, yet they don't talk for the first half of the ride! It's really not that big of a deal, but in general it's best that you try to follow up on the rules you set yourself, as it were.

Something that would be really nice in this chapter is a little more scenery described. You say a lot about where they're going, but it's devilishly hard to imagine because we're only told that they're 'circling the estate', but no descriptions about the estate! However, if you do decide to add this in then I'd recommend making it personal to Madeleine, so she only describes what she loves about the estate/beach etc. It would be a nice touch.

When their conversation takes an awkward turn, I feel like Madeleine's reactions aren't quite realistic. I don't connect with her confusion, because she only tells us that she's confused. It's the same old story over and over again - you err on the side of telling which doesn't help. Also, it feels like she's way to naive for her age, and surely her confusion should be tempered with a little more curiosity rather than just an immediate need to change the subject? If you keep that, then give her a reason for doing so like 'she didn't want Helena to get upset and harm the baby' (but don't use that one ;) ). Lastly, if Madeleine really is that naive, then perhaps Helena would have a more condescending tone when talking to her? Just a suggestion, it would seem natural between sisters.

When they take their shoes off, it would be so lovely if for a second they acted like children. This is just me and my wishful thinking, though - there's nothing actually wrong with what you've written. xD

With the meeting between her and the man, I don't think he needs to specify 'I think our paths with cross again'. The rest was lovely, because you stuck to dialogue and it sounded natural, but that bit was slightly contrived. Would someone really say that? Maybe something like 'I hope they will', but then that sounds too cheesy! I don't know, really, your choice.

Apart from that, it was a great read. Let me know when you post up other chapters (unless they're already up) and I'll review them for you!

-Amy
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:19 pm
Sins says...

*Isn't three weeks late* ... *cough*

Okay, yeah, I am three weeks late. It turns out that I didn't put this on my reading list, therefore, because of my lack of brain cells, I forgot about it. If I don't respond to a request after five days, please remind me, Ellie. Otherwise, like in this case, I won't get to it until another three weeks.

I'm definitely glad you did remind of this because after reading over this edited version, I can confidently say that it was much better than the original. Really well done, Ellie. You seem to be able to edit things really well, where I, on the other hand, epically fail at editing things. I can definitely see that you've taken previous reviewers advice into account, then edited this with their help. One thing I'm really glad you've done is make the fact that Madeleine goes off to see Mr. Irish is more believable now. That was the main problem I had really, so it's nice to see that you've fixed that now.

The only remaining issue I really have now is that, at times, your dialogue doesn't seem completely natural and realistic. I've mentioned this a bit in previous critiques, I think, but now that you've fixed the other issues I had with this chapter, I think the problems with the dialogue are standing out to me more. I feel horribly useless here because I've already gone through the whole dialogue critique thing before. I don't want to repeat things I've already said, not really. The thing is that I don't have anything else to say...

After making you wait three weeks, this review is pretty pathetic... God, I'm sorry. I promise I'll make it up to you for the next review you request from me. Basically, I really like this edited version of chapter two. *Likes* Sorry for the hundredth time that this is late, and also horribly short and useless...

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you.
— Tony Dorsett