z

Young Writers Society

A Taint Of Red Chapt. 2 (Draft 2)

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:25 am
Forestqueen808 says...

Chapter Two

I tapped my pencil against the desk. I slowly scribbled in answers to my test, only to erase them again. I had studied, but I hadn’t been concentrating. I had been thinking of Jacob.

Don’t ask me why, but I just couldn’t get him off my mind. I wrote more letters and numbers, but suddenly, they were all meshing together. I had never been a great test taker, but that day seemed horribly bad.

Scribbling my last few answers on the sheet, I looked around to see every head in the classroom but mine still bent over their work. Realizing my mind just wasn’t with it today, I absent-mindedly picked up my bag and walked out the door. A light rain was slowly falling on the street, and I had forgotten a hat.

My hair was drenched by the time I took shelter in a café. I sighed and ran my fingers through my blond locks. I stared out the window, not feeling particularly hungry at the moment.

And there he was. Jacob was walking down the street, his dark hair now seemed longer due to the moisture. But I could tell it was him just the same. My heart jumped slightly at the sight of him, only slightly though.

Before I knew it, my feet were on the wet pavement, Jacob in front of me. “Jacob!” I said and he slowly turned, meeting my gaze.

“Hello Katarinna.” He smiled. “What are you doing out in the rain?”

“Well, I just got back from taking an exam,” I said proudly.

“Oh.” Jacob looked down at his feet. “How was it?”

“I don’t think I did all that well. It was hard to study last night and we didn’t have any time to study before the test…” I paused. A dark shadow had come over Jacob’s face. That was when I realized it. I hadn’t been thinking. Jews weren’t allowed to go to school anymore. And here I was, rambling on about the test.

“I’m sorry,” I said.

“For what?” Jacob asked.

“I’m sorry that you can’t go to the university.” We stood in silence for a few moments, a vacuum of silence broken only by the soft thud of the rain.

“Its fine,” he replied. “It’s not your fault.” Silence stood between us again, at least until he asked me, “Do you want to take a walk?”

I almost said yes, but a poor excuse came from my mouth instead. “Its raining, not very good weather for a walk.”

“But you’re already walking in it.”

“Um…well,” I couldn’t think of an excuse. But I didn’t want to be seen walking with a Jew. I shouldn’t even be talking to him! I thought.

“Oh, I see. You don’t want to be walking with a Jew.” He seemed to have read my mind.

I looked down at my black shoes. I wouldn’t lie, but I couldn’t bear to tell the truth, at least not with words.

“I understand,” he said. “You’re the daughter of a Nazi Solider, a pure Aryan. Goodbye Katarinna.”

“Bye…Jacob.” His name came out as a whisper, but I knew as soon as it fell from my lips, that he hadn’t heard it.

I waited a few moments until Jacob had rounded the corner, and then I continued on my way home.

I climbed the stairs up to my apartment and quickly unlocked the door with my key. I set my bag down on the small table and sat down in one of the chairs. A small sigh escaped my lips as I laid my head on my arms.

I was befriending a Jew, and I was Katarinna Dresner, daughter of Abigail and Nazi Solider Egon Dresner. I had become the last thing I wanted to be in my father’s eyes: A Jew’s friend.

They were filth in our perfect world. They polluted it, poisoned it. We were superior to them, we were pure, perfect.

But Jacob didn’t seem like that…he smiled. He was kind, and he had emotions. He felt sorrow; he showed joy in his smile and in his dark eyes. He wasn’t a monster. A monster feels no pain, no love, and no joy. How could Jacob Gottlieb be a monster?

I didn’t see Jacob again until two weeks after my exam. I was walking home from my parent’s home on a bright, sunny Sunday. But as I passed Jacob’s shut down store, I saw him. But he wasn’t alone. Two girls were on either side of him, and a crowd surrounded him. The people in the crowd were all Jewish, that much I could tell. The two girls had Jacob’s same fair complexion and slightly curly dark hair. They clearly had to be his sisters. The only difference was that one of them had…blue eyes.

“We are being treated like dirt!” Jacob yelled into the crowd. “We are just as much citizens of Germany as those Nazis, are we going to let them treat us like garbage?” A chorus of “no’s” rang through the crowd.

Then one of the girl’s spoke. “We deserve an education!”

The one with blue eyes interrupted. “We deserve to be able to make a living!”

Jacob scanned through the crowd, but I felt heat rush to my face as his eyes rested on me. I turned away and began walking home, only to be shoved aside. “Excuse me miss,” a man said. I glimpsed his uniform before I began continuing on my way. More soldiers were coming down the lane by the minute.

I looked back to where Jacob stood on his soapbox and felt a small gasp rise from my chest as a soldier shoved him to the concrete. Two other soldiers held the two girls who had been with Jacob. They struggled and the crowd slowly scattered, making the beating of the Jew clearly visible to me.

The girls were screaming and kicking their legs, but the soldiers held them tight, and I recognized one of the soldiers. I recognized him as my father. I heard cries of pain come from Jacob’s lips as he was kicked and beaten. Soldiers ripped off his shirt, kicking him hard on his abdomen.

“Jacob!” one of his sister’s cried, the one with blue eyes. She kicked the soldier who was holding her hard in the groin, making him loosen his grip just enough so she could wiggle out of his grasp.

But as soon as she rushed over to her brother, my father grabbed her, still holding firmly onto her sister.

“He’s had enough,” one of the soldiers grunted. “Let them go.”

My father let go of the girls, and then cast a look at their arms wrapped around their brother. Their beaten, bruised, brother. “Let’s go,” my father said. As he and his men started down the street, my father’s eyes trailed over to me.

“Go home Katarinna,” he said firmly. “You shouldn’t be here.”

“But fath-”

“I told you to go home,” he said, slowly continuing on his way.

The soldiers turned the corner and disappeared from sight. I turned back towards the shutdown store. Jacob’s arms were around his sister’s and they were helping him walk.

“Jacob!” I called, but he didn’t seem to hear me. I called his name louder, and jogged to catch up. “Jacob!” I yelled, urgently.

This time, he stopped. His face slowly turned towards me. A yellow bruise covered his cheek and his left eye; red marks and bruises lined his abdomen. His hair was sweaty and messy, and his eyes didn’t shine like they had before.

“Jacob, wait…” I said softly. But he didn’t wait. He just kept on walking, leaving me standing alone.
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 pm
Baywolf says...

I really want to cry right now. I feel so bad about Jacob...
I remember reviewing your first chapter, so when I saw this I had to see where you had taken it from that point. I really like this story. I don't have any nitpicks, but I just wanted to let you know how much the story touched me.
Keep writing!

Bailey
After all, it is the pen that gives power to the mythical sword.

"For an Assistant Pig-Keeper, I think you're quite remarkable." Eilonwy

"You also shall be Psyche."

"My only regret
all the Butterflies
that I have killed with my car" Martin Lanaux

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 am
HomelessPorcupine says...

Hey there Queen!

Before I get started on the review, I wanted to say that this story is developing really well. A lot of people tend to think that the majority of the German population supported the Nazi movement, but there definitely were those who were against it.

One of the things that you do well with your chapters are your descriptions. This is something that some authors have a lot of trouble with, but you seem to have it down! However, there were some things that I saw.

And there he was. Jacob was walking down the street, his dark hair now seemed longer due to the moisture. But I could tell it was him just the same.

As a general rule, it doesn't look good when you start out sentences with conjunctions. Also, you will notice that when you take them away, the sentence itself becomes more powerful. "There he was." inspires more emotion in me than "And there he was." Another thing you can do is say, "Jacob came walking down the street, his dark hair now seemed longer due to the moisture, but I could tell it was him just the same." Though that is another option, the sentences that you have there would be more powerful if you just took the conjunctions out.

But he didn’t wait.

This is the conjunction problem again. It happened in a couple of other instances in your story, but I chose this one because when you get rid of the 'but', the sentence just becomes much more powerful. "He didn't wait." You can just imagine her downcast eyes, the sadness and guilt she feels about witnessing such an event but not being able to help someone whom she has grown to care about.

I shouldn’t even be talking to him! I thought.

Usually when writers express a character's thoughts, they put it in italics or just make it different from the rest of the text so that the reader doesn't become confused. If the person reading your story has to double check to make sure that it is indeed a thought, then that takes them away from the story, and that isn't good.

His name came out as a whisper, but I knew as soon as it fell from my lips, that he hadn’t heard it.

The comma in between 'lips' and 'that' doesn't seem to fit. A comma means a pause in a sentence, so every time you place one, it means that that is where you would pause if they were reading it aloud. Unless the comma was placed there to create dramatic effect, I don't think that it really fits.

Overall, the story is good. I could really feel the emotion from this piece and that is great for snaring a reader into your story.

Keep Writing!
-HP
"I can't afford a teddy bear, so I sleep with this contact solution."

Taran: He will not succeed in this. Somehow, we must find a way to escape. We dare not lose hope.

Fflewddur: I agree absolutely, your general idea is excellent; it's only the details that are lacking.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:03 am
ballerina13 says...

Hello again! I like how this is developing. I have a question though, Did you change your MC's name? Because in the last chapther it was not Katarinna. Just wondering.
Alright, the story line is thickening, more action and drama is happening which is fine but it seemed that this chapter was rushed a bit. Take some time and add more imagery to this.
I hope I helped.This is really turning out very well.
~Ballerina
(Message me if you have any questions.)
Got YWS?
"No one can arrive from being talented alone,work transform talent into genius" - Anna Pavlova

If you receive a bribe, you must report it in your income.
— John Oliver