z

Young Writers Society

Finding me Back- Chapter 1(final edit)

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:45 pm
MiaParamore says...

So finally guys I have completed the first chapter and if you are seeing this topic just now so I suggest you to read the prologue. ENJOY!!!!!!! And leave a note. :D

CHAPTER-1
I stared out from the only window in my room. The birds were making there way out to find food. At least, someone else was also awake at this time of morning. I began thinking about Melanie. “What would be the time there? “I thought. This all would never have happened had I refused her idea. She didn’t need to make any sacrifice for me.

It all started two months ago when dad received that 'SPECIAL' letter which commanded him to pay back to his country. 'Pay back the country for the privileges and opportunities she has provided you,' it read. The letter tore me apart and was the cause of all the problems that I was facing now.

"Dad, you should quit army. Going to Iraq is irrational and not safe," I told him the day he received that pathetic letter.
He was driving his car with mom on his side and I was sitting at the back.
"Stop it, Jemima. We have gone over it a lot of times before. He is going there what may happen. Is that clear?" mom shouted at me. Those days, I don’t know why but she had been rude to me. It was like she wasn’t my mom.
I sulked and remained silent. But dad brought up this topic once again.
"I knew this would happen .Didn't I tell you before?" he said.
"Yes, you told us about your transfer in Iraq but I thought it was not going to happen so soon. Please leave the army," I replied.
"Honey, I am going there and I'll be back in six months. Quitting army is not a joke. The war conditions are getting worse day by day. My country needs me there. Besides, it is just for six months, they’ll pass in a blink of an eye," he tried to cheer me up .But only a resignation letter would have made me happy.
"What do you mean by going alone? I think you missed us. What are we supposed to do here?" mom was angry.
"Wait till I come back. I think that's not tough," he smiled but no one wanted to see it.
"No way. We are also going with you to Iraq," she said.
"Who takes their family to a war-struck place? Besides, families aren’t allowed to go in a war zone. I am not going for a holiday," he said.
"No way, "she again repeated.
"Yes way," he was chagrined.
I found my chance here. I said," Dad, mom is right. We all should live together as a family."
"Don't poke your nose. You be quiet. I want to be there in Iraq. That's it. Either you take us or don't go," mom returned back to dad.
"Don't talk nonsense, Martha. Nothing you said is possible, "dad was really annoyed now.
"I am talking absolute sense. You only don't get my point. They can’t snatch my husband away from me for some stupid rules of theirs," mom said.
“These rules are for your own safety. Do you get that? And if you have a problem then please join parliament. Bring changes,” Dad shouted at her which left her scared.
I started my I-pod and put my earphones and started listening to a new song. This was where I found my refuge when mom and dad used to fight with each other.

"Are you serious?" Melanie asked me the next day at school. Her auburn hair was flying in the hair and she was struggling to keep them still.
"Yes I am. My parents have gone crazy. Mom has finally convinced dad to take us there if government allows. This will devastate me, “I said taking the last sip from my soda. We were sitting in the cafeteria having our conversation.
"It's just for six months. Then you'll be back here with us,”she also tried to cheer me up but in vain.
"You are right but during these six months we have crucial assignments which are essential for me to get into Harvard. Do you understand? “I said putting my fist on table.
"I know what they expect for at Harvard. My dad keeps on lecturing on this topic," Kara was disgusted.
"What are you planning then? Tell your parents about the situation and they'll understand. You can stay with me here when they are gone. That would be so much fun," Melanie suggested.
"The idea is not bad but my parents would never agree to it. They would never let me out of their sight. I have to pack my bags and go off to Iraq," I said.
"Maybe yes. That’s sounds practical," Kara snubbed.
"Kara is right. They don't leave me with other option so I'll have to opt this one, "I sadly put my head down.
"You can't accept defeat so easily. We'll figure out something. Let me talk to them as I have a right. They can't separate me from my best friend," Melanie smiled punish back her auburn curls.
Melanie looked the same that I look now. She was tall, slim and extremely beautiful. And I was a blonde with medium height and okay-okay face. Actually others liked it but I admired Mel's. I now finally had it but this wasn't making me happy.
That afternoon after school I walked to my home as my car had gone for repairing. When I reached the house, mom was baking her special honey cookies.
"Mom, what's the occasion?" I sadly asked.
"This is for Iraq. We'll have it over there," she announced.
"Iraq? So everything is fixed? Are we really going there? "I kept my bag at the sofa.
"Yes, we are going there in another three weeks. Dad just went to the headquarters and they have sanctioned him the letter,” she said. Now this was getting on my nerves. Here I was crying my eyes for not going there but she was celebrating going there. Why was she acting so strangely? Is she really my mom or some alien species has come inside her.
"Mom, may I ask something?"
"Yes. Why not?"
"Why are you so excited about all this? Like going to Iraq. I don't find anything exciting in this. We are not going for a holiday,” I barked.
"Lower your tune. I am thrilled .Do you have a problem?" she asked.
"Yes, I have a problem. It's like I don't exist, like my opinion doesn't matter any longer to you. You are just concerned about yourself. It's looking as if we are going there for picnic. Have you gone insane?" I said what I should not have.
"Why are you making such a fuss about it? We are just going there for six months. We'll be back. Why are you making us sound like criminals?" she now looked concerned.
"This is because in these six months I have special assignments necessary for Harvard or any other good university for that matter. Besides, I don't want to get involved in the violence. You know I hate it. Seeing people surrounded with blood for no fault of theirs. It's disgusting," I was now crying.
Mom looked really sorry for ignoring me so much and came to me.
"I am really sorry for all this. I am such a bad mother,” she hugged me and started pecking me on my cheeks.
"It's okay," I replied as to avoid troubling her .I had already said so much.
"No it's not okay. Do you want to stay here? Then we both won't go there. Let dad go alone. We'll enjoy here," she said.
“That’s all okay but tells me why you were so excited about all this?” I couldn't stop asking.
"Me?" she started dreaming something.
"Mom?" I brought her out from the reverie.
"I am sorry, Jemima. I was a journalist but after you were born I couldn't continue it .It's not that I regret it but after hearing all those reports from Iraq, I wanted to do something. Like go there and report live .Tell people of the misery the wars bring. That just excited me," she said.
I felt sorry for her but that was nothing in front of the happiness I was feeling for being spared to go to Iraq. Now I could do my assignments, be here with Mel and enjoy everything.
"Thank you mom. You are really the best mother in world," I hugged .But the happiness was very short.
That night while we were having dinner and watching news we saw the news. Three American army men had been found dead in a gutter in Iraq. The suspicions were on the locals living there.
"This has yet been a very cruel attack on Americans. All Iraqis are trying to ruin us," the news reporter said.
I looked at dad. He was busy looking at other headlines while mom was crying.
'Mom? Why are you crying?" I asked.
"I am such a fool," she said while glaring at the TV screen.
"Fool? Why, Martha? "Dad left his plate on one side.
"I was letting you go alone, Peter. That' why I am a fool. Had there family accompanied them, they would’ve been alive now and would have been having lunch with their families," she sobbed wiping her tears with her brown skirt.
"How can family save someone's life? You are talking total nonsense these days, Martha," dad said to her.
"I have decided," she was not listening to dad.
"What? We decided that I am going alone there and you both will stay here," dad tried to remind her.
"I know everything. I have not forgotten anything, Peter. We both will be staying here and so will you? You leave your job. You'll definitely find something here. I can afford being poor but not losing you," she was determined.
This was exactly the thing I had been worrying about .About losing my father. I started crying too and dad must be considering an emotional blackmail.
"I am not going to do it .I understand you both but you don't understand me. If I leave the army then I'll be called a coward which I am not," he too was determined.
"Dad, please. We can't afford losing you. People will say something for sometime and then will forget it. We'll shift to another place," I pleaded.
"That's certainly impossible. You can't stop people from saying something. Besides, I have some duties towards my country .I am a patriot," he said.
Mom was quivering with fear of losing her husband in a futile war. In wanted to go to her and console her but I rather preferred convincing dad.
"Then what about your family? Is country more important than both of us?"
"Maybe yes," he sternly replied and that was the end of the conversation.

The door opened and I looked back, coming out of my reverie. The walk down the memory lane had to be disrupted for a while.

‘Mrs. Stone………,” I corrected myself,” Mom? I thought you would be sleeping.” Mrs. Stone was standing giving me a broad cheerful grin. I looked at my wrist watch which read the time ‘6:30’. Had I been dreaming for an hour?
“I should be sleeping but I couldn’t stop thinking about your misery. I am so sorry about scolding you earlier. It’s just that I am no longer a teenager so couldn’t understand your pain. Believe me. Jemima is going to come back,” Mrs. Stone replied. She was now dressed in her favorite tank top and jeans. Once someone saw her, they couldn’t get their eyes away from her. Melanie had inherited her timeless and perfect beauty from her. She had same auburn hair like Mel and had green eye lens.
“That’s okay mom. I know how much work you have to do these days. I didn’t feel bad,” I comforted her.
“That makes me feel better but I know you are upset.”
"Mom,” I shuddered and then continued,” I am fine. Are you on a leave?"
"You are fine?” she was doubtful.
"Yes I am. Don’t you have office today?”I was pissed off by her questioning me every time. My mother never did this. Maybe because she used to be every time with me. My mom knew me more then Mel's mom knew her.
"I have to go to office today. Just checking if you are comfortable," she was disappointed by my rudeness.
"Sorry mom for being so rude to you .But this is my own house so I can take care of myself,” I said.
"I know you'll take care of yourself but these days you are keeping very low. Worried about Jemima and her family? Could you talk to Jemima?”She asked me
"No, I couldn’t. I don't have a clue where they are. They could be in danger. Same message is coming.' The number you have dialled does not exist' when I am calling on her Iraq's number" I mocked.
"You will soon have news. Trust me. I have to go office today but I wish I could stay back home with you. Did you take your pills?" She asked.
"Yes, I did," I announced. I had been prescribed with anxiety controlling pills ever since I started dreaming those nightmares. Not that I wanted to let Mel's parents know but my screams could not be hidden from them.
"I wonder how she is," she sighed and waved her hand on my head.
"I wonder the same. I really miss her,” I said, I don't know why but I just feel like hugging Mrs. Stone. This is maybe because I felt guilty. She had been considering me her daughter for nine months but in real Mel was far off from our reach, somewhere in danger, somewhere lost. I was missing my own mother.
She showed some more sympathy and then left for her work.
I waved her goodbye as she started off her Mercedes and headed towards her fashion magazine office.

19th March, 2004
Dear Mom,
I am really missing you and dad. I am kind of alone here without your love, warmth and affection. Is it getting too melodramatic?
So here's all I did in these past eight months:
1. I read Melanie's secret diary which no one is supposed to. Sorry Mel.
2. I spent her nine month's pocket money in just two months. Those cakes and pizzas were mouth-watering so I couldn't help.
3.I cried for night and nights but now I plan not to. This is because Kara's dad is going to give me some information about you all so I think bad times will get over.
4. I bought two branded shades and the latest DKNY dress.
Living with Mel's parents is a bit tough. They keep on fighting with each other whole time if at all they are together. I always used to envy Mel for her branded clothes but now I know she had to sacrifice a lot to gain them. She had to sacrifice her mother who works day and night and has little time to spare for anyone even for herself. Her dad's really a 'Busy Bee' too
I know it's difficult to believe but this wasn't my idea at all. It was Mel's plan and I refused it at first but the advantages it provided to me were irresistible. Besides, you had created such difficult situations that I had to do this. Also, this was supposed to be temporary. But when I didn't hear anything from you past these months I started believing that God wants something else. It was silly planof exchanging bodies. I don’t know if it worked for Melanie but surely not for me. A plain bad idea I would call it.
That's all for now. I'll keep updating you.
Jemima

The letter was read once by me and then kept in the small box along with fifteen other letters I had been writing to mom and Mel all his time.
Last edited by MiaParamore on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 pm
Lydia1995 says...

Hello again Shubi. I have just reviewed your prologue and now I am here to review your first chapter.

I liked this, the ideas you put forward in your prologue are beginning to come together and I understand who your MC is a little more now.
Again I noticed some grammatical mistakes and the odd typo. In future please proof-read your writing and correct the mistakes, it makes it more enjoyable to read. :D

Characters

As I have said I understand your MC more which is great. You have also told us more about the relationship with Jemima and Melanie which is great because it makes the plot clearer.
I don't like the way that you have portrayed the mother, sorry. I find that she gets angry at your MC far too much. She is the mother of the MC so it seems inappropriate for her to shout at her when she says that she doesn't want to go to Iraq. You just need to make her a little more understanding so that she seems real as a pose to artificial.

Plot

Your plot is starting to come together now which is great. Just one tip:
You don't have to move the plot along really quickly, sometimes mundane speech and actions allow us to get to know and empathize with your characters.
You have almost got the balance of plot and mundane right so well done.

I am interested to see where this is going to do.
Overall well done please leave a note in the WIll Review For Food forum if you would like me to review further chapters of this.

Well Done
Keep Writing,
~Lydia
Thinking about what you COULD achieve will get you no where. You've got to chase your dreams.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=92400 - Need a review?

553 Reviews

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 am
MiaParamore says...

Thank you Lydia for reading this one. I ahd posted this one for three days and no one had come to read this.

— Paramore

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Hey, I finally finished reading. Yeah, weariness caught me halfway through last night... :lol: Anyway, now to critique!

I do like your story's plot. It's a bit like Ghost Whisperer with a military/NCIS twist. It's unique. But I noticed you use a few run-on sentences...

" I didn’t know how I could manage to do all this but I guess it all comes when you go through all that I have."
I remember seeing a few others, but I can't find them right now.

And the military. That's my biggest thing. I understand you're trying, but let me give you some advice on that; I myself am involved in the military, through school, and I have a cousin who has been to Iraq four times.

The family (the daughter and mother): Even if they had wanted to go with the father, they would not have been able to go to Iraq. Once you fly out of America, you land first in Germany. That's where the Headquarters (and main base) are - complete with housing for family members, because you are FORBIDDEN from entering the war zone; hospital for wounded soldiers; and anything else you might need.

The Quitting concept: You can't just quit the military. They will not let you. And if you try to run away from an assignment, you will be arrested and courtmarshalled (charged in a court system run by the military). But you do have contracts - 6 years. After those six years, you can retire and go about your life, as if you never were in the military, or renew it, continuing your service.

Otherwise, this is a fantastic piece you are writing. Good job, keep writing, and I'll be glad to read more.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

553 Reviews

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hi Ayumi,
Thanks on this. This was ione thing I was confused about like can they go to Iraq but then the story wouldn't have come out. Any suggestions? Now I ahve edited the story and the dad knows that that it's not a joke. The women are so much depressed and sad that whatever they are saying is definitely not sense.

— Paramore

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 am
Lava says...

Hello again Shubhi!

Well, I reread your prologue and it is much better now. :)
Coming onto this, I read it and it was quite good and interesting. I like where this is heading and it's a good plot.
So, here are my nitpicks. I hope I don't sound too harsh. :)

"I am really sorry for all this .I am such a bad mother,” she hugged me and started pecking me on my cheeks.

Well, you really shouldn't say 'my mom started pecking me..' It'll be fine if you just say 'She gave me a quick peck.'

“Then I am too sorry for going to kill you. You see, I am also helpless. Melanie did tell me this but ……….. How could I forget this? What if my body is dead?” I mocked him and at once slit his throat. The blood ran down his neck spoiling the green carpet of his office.
This entire bit seemed unnatural. For instance, where did she find the knife? What morbid thoughts did she possess before she killed him? This bit sort of distracts me from the MC's personality.

Dialogue: Your dialogue writing seems to have improved, but I think this chapter is just overloaded with dialogue. The story needs to be told and supplemented with dialogue. I think here, you're giving us a load of information just in the form of dialogue.

Description: I think you lacked a little description. Since you focused on the dialogue, your description was a little off. Remember that you need dialogue and description, mixed well.

Grammar: I did notice a few grammatical errors which you'll need to work on. Take for example:
"I am talking absolute sense. You only don't get my point," mom said.
The position of 'only' here is a typical example of direct translation into English. However, generally people would say something like "It's you who isn't getting my point."

Overall: Well, if you could improve upon the few points I mentioned, this would turn out very good. And once again, very good plot. PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

553 Reviews

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:14 pm
MiaParamore says...

Done editing !!!!!!

— Paramore

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 am
ToritheMonster says...

Heya! Here I am, as requested.. but right off the bat, I hafta say, this is much too long. I can't really give you an all that detailed review, because that would take hours. Could you split this up? :smt104

Now, I honestly didn't read all of this because I got bored. You never want to bore your reader! Add in some more detail. What does the surroundings look like? The people? Their expressions, the way they speak? Add in some spice! Make me want to continue. An interesting plot is only half the battle. :smt065

Now, not to be rude, but your grammar is horrendous! It was kind of painful to read through. You have so many mistakes that you could very, very easily catch if you were to read this over... GR! I'm frustrated just thinking about it! :smt013

You characters.. well, they show promise. They all have potential.. but you're not developing it. Make me love or hate your characters, not feel neutral. This is an emotional story, and your characters should have emotions as well. Develop them!

Overall, this is a good...skeleton of a story. You need to go back and do a LOT of editing (it's inevitable). This will shape up with work! Keep writing! :smt117

--Dreamy115 :smt023
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:20 pm
BondGirl007 says...

Hey Love! Here to review!

Well, you have a good base of a story, but you really have a lot of work to do on it. The three biggest things that need fixing are-

Dialogue- Since a lot of this story is made up of your characters talking/fighting this is very important. If you read it out loud you'll realize how stiff and robotic it sounds.

Grammar- as said right before me, it's pretty bad. There are tons of spelling and typos that could easily be fixed by using the spell check. I suggest you do that, that's what it's there for.

Speed- You're going to fast, this is a hugely long story (I printed it out, and in 10 point font it was 8 pages) and I still feel like your going way too fast, and your characters suffer because of it. I really don't like the main character so far, and I think if we knew her better there would be more sympathy.

So there's a lot of editing that needs to be done, but I like the idea, good luck!

~Hope
"I'd rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for who I'm not."

553 Reviews

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm
MiaParamore says...

As many have said before I don't think there's anything wrong with my grammar. And also I am not going fast. i have thought a lot about it and then only posted this. I would definitely tell about the character more once my exams are over.

It's not horrendous Dreamy. That was rude.

— Paramore

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm
Lava says...

Hello again.

Well, first off, Shubhi, Dreamy is trying to help you out here. Definitely not rude. Accept critiques in a positive way. They'll improve what you write.

It still needs a lot of work. I would suggest splitting it into two, working on each part slowly.
The dialogue, mainly, requires a lot of editing. It doesn't seem like natural talk.

Your plot is good, but you'll need to keep the chapter a little less short, and more descriptive to hook your readers.

PM me if you have questions.

~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

553 Reviews

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm
MiaParamore says...

I am splitting it into two. I have been working on that for two days. Maybe I will post the new, fresh chapter-1 tomorrow.

— Paramore

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash