z

Young Writers Society

Mei (working title) Chapter 2

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:18 pm
happy-go-lucky says...

I am sick of this!” cried the young man in outburst. He paced the hall with irritation, his fine, striking face in a constant scowl. “I wish to here no more of it!” The bearer of the bad news, a trusted advisor, squinted a little at his predicted reply and sighed, how many times must he go through this with him?

“Sire,” he started, as the young Prince rolled his eyes, he too was tired of this lecture. “It is your father’s desire for you to –“

“I don’t care what my father has ordered you to do! I have no time for this!” he interrupted. “I do not want to here anymore of these demands!”

“With the greatest of respect, your highness,” said the advisor, with a slight bow of his head. “Your brother’s condition is deteriorating by the day – if he dies you are your father's heir – will you not put his mind at ease and find yourself a suitable match?” The Prince looked out of the window to the gardens of the palace restlessly. It was a beautiful day. He furrowed his brow, thinking of someway to avoid this predicament. But what good was that? He’d been delaying for a year and a half now and was currently running out of excuses. If he became the heir to the throne, his duty came with great expectations, to be just and fair, a good leader, to have good knowledge of warfare, and, of course, to have a future successor. The Prince had everything but the latter – that was the problem his father, the Emperor, was trying to solve.
But his brother was not dead yet. Only at his passing would the young Prince become his fathers successor. If his brother died. If he did not recover from his illness. Then he would find a match. Until then the Emporer could wait, surely? But what was the use? He could not stand any more of the advisor's nagging tongue.
He sighed in defeat, “What would you have me do?” The advisor gave a hidden moan of relief; finally some progress was being made. The boy kept his head turned to the gardens as he rambled on about the Emperor’s plans for his son. His thoughts drifted back to his morning drill with the troops, every procedure, every movement, stuck into his memory like glue. Ironic as it was, the Prince had always felt himself better suited to the role of a general than the role of a prince, let alone that of an emperor. He was skilled, very skilled, with sword, bow and fists – even the most foolish of enemies would be scared out of their wits when facing him in battle. With the subject of war, he was well acquainted; his first encounter with the deadly circumstances was at the age of sixteen and now at the age of twenty three the number of battles he had proven himself in had reached double figures. Much as war is a time of unrest it was also a time for him to shine. His skills had shown him to be an expert warrior and had created a passion.
However with every passion comes a discouragement. Being the son of an Emperor restricted any military career he could have – first and foremost he was the Prince. In addition, marriage would tie him to his destiny even further, the army would lose their finest general and the Prince would lose his dream – losing the heir to the throne in battle was too big a risk to take. But the irritation from the Emperor’s constant wishes became overpowering, caving in on him, leaving him with no choice but to accept them. His dream had ended.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:44 am
ashleylee says...

Heya, Happy!

I'm back and ready to review!

So here I go...

I am sick of this!” cried the young man in outburst. He paced the hall with irritation, his fine, striking face in a constant scowl. “I wish to [s]here[/s] hear no more of it!” The bearer of the bad news, a trusted advisor, squinted a little at his predicted reply and sighed, how many times must he go through this with him?

“Sire,” he started, as the young Prince rolled his eyes, [I would change the comma after "eyes" to a semicolon] he too was tired of this lecture. “It is your father’s desire for you to –“

“I don’t care what my father has ordered you to do! I have no time for this!” he interrupted. “I do not want to [s]here[/s] hear anymore of these demands!”

“With the greatest of respect, your highness,” said the advisor, with a slight bow of his head. “Your brother’s condition is deteriorating by the day – if he dies you are your father's heir – will you not put his mind at ease and find yourself a suitable match?” The Prince looked out of the window to the gardens of the palace restlessly. It was a beautiful day. [how is it a beautiful day? Expand that, allow the reader to see what the Prince sees] He furrowed his brow, thinking of someway to avoid this predicament. But what good was that? He’d been delaying for a year and a half now and was currently running out of excuses. If he became the heir to the throne, his duty came with great expectations, to be just and fair, a good leader, to have good knowledge of warfare, and, of course, to have a future successor. The Prince had everything but the latter – that was the problem his father, the Emperor, was trying to solve.

But his brother was not dead yet. Only at his passing would the young Prince become his fathers successor. If his brother died. If he did not recover from his illness. Then he would find a match. Until then the Emporer could wait, surely? But what was the use? He could not stand any more of the advisor's nagging tongue.

He sighed in defeat, “What would you have me do?” The advisor gave a hidden moan of relief; finally some progress was being made. The boy kept his head turned to the gardens as he rambled on about the Emperor’s plans for his son. His thoughts drifted back to his morning drill with the troops, every procedure, every movement, stuck into his memory like glue. Ironic as it was, the Prince had always felt himself better suited to the role of a general than the role of a prince, let alone that of an emperor. He was skilled, very skilled, with sword, bow comma and fists – even the most foolish of enemies would be scared out of their wits when facing him in battle. With the subject of war, he was well acquainted; his first encounter with the deadly circumstances was at the age of sixteen and now at the age of twenty three the number of battles he had proven himself in had reached double figures. Much as war is a time of unrest it was also a time for him to shine. [whoa, this sentence is very confusing. I know what you are trying to say but maybe try something like: Much as war is a time of unrest, it can also be a time for him to shine. Or something like that] His skills had shown him to be an expert warrior and had created a passion. [a passion in what? in him? I would make that clearer in what you mean by that.]

However with every passion comes a discouragement. Being the son of an Emperor restricted any military career he could have – first and foremost he was the Prince. In addition, marriage would tie him to his destiny even further, the army would lose their finest general and the Prince would lose his dream – losing the heir to the throne in battle was too big a risk to take. But the irritation from the Emperor’s constant wishes became overpowering, caving in on him, leaving him with no choice but to accept them. His dream had ended.

I actually enjoyed this chapter immensely. I'm not sure what it was about it that really drew me in but I am feeling for the Prince at this point. You really created a character that the reader can enjoy reading about.

I think this was a good chapter but I can't really tell you how this fits in when I don't knwo myself. If the Prince's and Yusheng's lives are connected in someway, then keep this chapter because I really liked it. If not, I would just cut it and maybe create a whole other story with this.

Hope this helped! :D

(I know this was kind of confusing so if you have any questions at all, just PM me)
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:26 am
happy-go-lucky says...

Thanks again Ashley!

I'll try writing chapter 3 and if this chapter doesn't fit in I'll scrap it :D
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:04 pm
Miss Freckles says...

no don't scrap it!

it's an amazing story for a fifteen-year-old (sorry, but i know what i've been doing at 15... and that's embarrassing compared to this) :)

btw does this come right after chapter 1 part 2 or is there more to chapter 1?

personally, i don't have a problem with changing POV all the time, but i know many people who do, so you might want to keep POV's down to a few or there will be too many confusing storylines maybe...
he can fly he can fly he can fly he can fly

Saying Why-Double-you-Ehs is inversely like saying Ah-beh-Seh (Abc)... just say yewis it's cooler.
— Anonymous