z

Young Writers Society

Hymns for a Dead Sister (1): My Bombazine Doll

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:54 pm
Sam says...

This is all part of Hourglass 'verse--stuff that won't go into the finished product. I'll post all of my prompt responses for the contest under the title "Hymns for a Dead Sister".

[003, Beginnings]
___

MY BOMBAZINE DOLL, or,
A RECOLLECTION OF THE BRIEF EXISTENCE OF MARY ELIZABETH SMART

[I. GENESIS]

"I love you," was what she whispered, though they both knew it was but another in the series of untruths that would plague their minds and their beings. He laid on his back, tracing the spiderweb cracks in the ceiling with his eyes and waiting for the inevitable to come.

[II. A WARNING SIGN]

It was her sixteenth birthday the day she placed his hand on her nightgown and they both felt the imprint of prenatal bone against flesh. "It's been three months September," she said, and watched him carefully for signs of remembrance.

"Closer, then."

"Yes."

He turned the page in his book and frowned at some phrase scrawled too small, pushing his spectacles farther up his nose in the attempt to make sense of it. "Have you told my mother?"

"I thought you had."

"I considered it a private matter," he said. "Something for only women to talk of."

"It's a happy matter, Jonathan. You can tell her."

He said nothing. She kissed his cheek as she ought and laid on her side, breathing into her pillow and trying, as he had, to forget exactly which day it was.

[III. WHAT LOVE FORGOT]

Dear Mr. Smart,

I have so many things to tell you! Firstly, ----- told me all about babies and what they are like, so I feel very grown up. She said that babies are difficult for girls even when they are still in their stomachs, so I hope your wife is feeling all right, because I do not like to be sick either. I hope she is very nice to you. She is very lucky that she is a girl and not a --- like me.

Secondly, I (and ---, too!) will be turning ten in two weeks. She shall take us to the theatre to see "Paris Flowers", which I have heard has very beautiful music. I know that you are very fond of music so I have been learning to play the violin. I am not very good but maybe when you come to ----- to visit I shall play for you. It makes me sad that your wrists were always sore so that you couldn't play the violin. Well, I hope I will be able to make you feel better.

Thirdly, I have been thinking about you a lot. I ---- you, even though you said it is a bad idea. Though, now that I am almost ten maybe I will be old enough to ---. I have been thinking about when you left, as well. I am sorry that I did not want you to --- my----. It felt very nice when you --- my ----, though, so maybe we can do that when you come to visit. Maybe now that I am ten I shall be old enough for ------- though I am still very scared. But you can do as you please, because I --- you and I want you to --- me too.

It is strange to think that you will be a father! Do you think you will still --- me when you have a child? I do not want to be selfish, but maybe if your child and your wife go on a trip together you can come see me when you are alone.

I miss you very much.

[IV. UPON ARRIVAL]

When Mary was born, she felt nothing but cold.

Where is Jonathan?

Fetch him.

As her father held her to his chest for the first time, he wept bitterly until it felt like there was nothing to terra incognita but earthquakes and salt.

[V. 'TIS A GIFT]

The night he burned the letters was the night he took Mary to the river wrapped in silk, tucked into the breast of his coat so that the wool scratched at her cheeks. He knelt in the mud and made a cross upon her forehead with his thumb.

His lips parted, but there was nothing he could say to her.

As the water fell round her she was silent; his hands pressed her back against river silt until her mouth filled and she could breathe no longer.

It was simple.

[VI. WE ALL FALL DOWN]

Where is Mary?

I don't know.

Mary? Mary? Mary, my ----

But, as in her daughter before her, there was no breath left.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:37 am
Fishr says...

Returning the favor but mostly because I love your chars to absolute pieces! It's so freaking hard choosing a favorate - arg! :) But that's a great thing.

Okay! Mr. Smart is unusual. He's downright creepy but... call me insane, I adore him. Why? I sense that even though his murderous act to Mary might seem callous, as I said perviously, it wasn't done out of spite per say. Had he not wept bitterly and brought his newborn daughter to the river to "Christainize" her, then perhaps...

But he HAS committed murder and as I also said that fact should surely further screw with his unstability.

At first I had thought Addy came from a broken home but I think it's vice versa. Smart had to have had some unforseen trauma to sexualy touch a ten year old.

By Addy's letter, Smart seems to have attempt to stop which means he knows he's at fault but Addy is "turned on," yet unsure and frightened. His young mind can't understand fully.

I suggest to look a little deeper, if you haven't already and consider reading about Domestic Abuse. Abuse doesn't have to be violent but it does have some profound examples. By researching a little in this area, perhaps you'll be able to strengthen Smart even more. You know you want too. ;)

All in all - I want more please!

Hope this helped some.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:09 pm
Emerson says...

It was her sixteenth birthday the day she placed
I think you see my problem. Please reword.

She kissed his cheek as she ought and laid on her side
Sam! I think I may have to resort to beating your or something until I break this habit. Lay is to put something down, lie is to sleep. So, "As she ought and lied on her side." Try watching out for this more often on your own, because the more you think about it and keep your eyes pealed [creepy phrase, hm?] for it, the less you'll do it.

I love how the dialogue in II is so drab, and yet it is "a happy matter".

But, as in her daughter before her, there was no breath left.
Didn't I edit this last night? XD I really, really prefer "like" instead of "as in". It just flows better. Please? Or ignore me.

I want to eat Smart's sandwich. Not! He's gross. ^_^
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina