z

Young Writers Society

Needles and Roses - Chap. 1 (Edited)

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:48 pm
KJ says...

Have yet again re-downloaded. 3rd (for you) version of this chapter. I've shortened it up, for those of you who hated the length :)

Description: Takes place in London, around 1845. My MC is a timid servant called Rachel. As most characters, she has a past and a dark cloud over her future. Enjoy.
Attachments
Chapter One.doc
(63.5 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Last edited by KJ on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:07 am
ashleylee says...

Great! You actually put this on here kels! As I've already read this when you printed it our for me at school (remember the printer incident! lol) and I've told you a MILLION times how good it is, I guess I'll just have to tell you again! WONDERFUL WORK! :)
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:42 pm
Snoink says...

Psh!

If you've finished it, it's time to put it in manuscript format! This means, always double space after the sentences, put it in a monotype font (I like Courier), underline all the italic words, make all the ellipses into three periods, make all the dashes into two hyphens.

There's more but... I've done this chapter for you. Most of it. I probably missed a couple of things.
Attachments
Needles and Rose 1.doc
(76.5 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:29 pm
View Likes
Wolf says...

Hey KJ!
I promised I'd critique this, but I haven't started to yet. Homework (not to mention the pile of reviews-to-do I have) has me pretty bogged down for now, but I'll try to get around to it some time this week. *bookmarks*

Cheers,
Camille xx
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:53 am
deavarna_satina says...

Wow. That was... a truely great read! Your expression and description were fantastic and I particularly like the way you captured the repressed emotions of Rachel. Also loved you character Amy, she seems like she will have a very interesting role in the tale.

A little editing to do, I did pick out some errors but they looked like mostly typos and I see that you have already had some editors so I wont pick it over again.

I really am itching to know of this future Rachel threw away and why her past haunts her every step. Let me know when chapter 2 is available! :-)
The problem with falling for the enemy is that you can't take them anywhere ~a Titleless Tale

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:18 am
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

hmmm yep yep that murder definitely sounds like a vampire! :o

EDIT: yeah, i didn't actually say much there...i'm afraid mummy wouldn't let me stay up too long, so i was a tad short on time :roll:

anyway...it did drag on a bit, but that's not uncommon for first chapters. i found myself getting more into it as it went along, especially once the thing about Ann Samuels cropped up. before it seemed like Rachel wasn't very concerned about them(them being the murders). so basically you really got me interested right when it was over xD

also, i wasn't too fond of the first person present tense. when a story is as long as this one, you may be able to get away with one or the other(first person OR present tense) but both...?

then again, maybe i'm just being stingy. :roll: Sorry if that's the case.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:24 am
mindoverflow812 says...

Can I have more? That was really good. It's very hard to find a good story in present tense, but you handle it very nicely. It's a very interesting story. I like it, especially because I enjoy historical fiction most myself. My novel is historical fiction. The sci-fi is my remedy for writers block! I am having TERRIBLE writers block. Any suggestions?

Anyway (oops) great story. Please post more. It's just like a real book, minus some minor errors, but that's no biggie.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:29 pm
Rydia says...

This is a good start, I think. It’s a little lacking in character and scene description so your atmosphere isn’t as strong as it could be and you need to be careful occasionally that you don’t use terms that are too modern but it’s generally well written. You’ve got some excellent dialogue and I love the characters; they have great personalities.

I've written some more specific, detailed comments but it's not letting me upload the file so I'm going to pm it to you, let me know if it doesn't come through. Hope it helps,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:15 pm
Jeni says...

I think it was really great. There were only a few problems that I came across. One was punctuation. Somewhere in there after a short sentence, (about 15-20 words long), you forgot a period. I think it was i the middle. Next are two sentences that I found a problem in:

"But Mr. Garret and Miss Nathanial are also are good friends"
(You need to take out one of the are, or take out an are and the also.)

“ 'That was your sister, was it?' "
(I don't know the problem with this sentence, but something isn't right. I think if you replace "was" with wasn't, that would be better.)

The last thing was the length. I don't know if it was just me, (and my ability of slow reading), but it was really long. Maybe you should make it two different chapters, because it took me just over an hour to read.

Other than that, I thought it was great.-Jeni

P.S- Since it took me so long to read, I will have to read chapter 2 and 3 later. But don't worry, I will read them.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:47 am
JFW1415 says...

The promised review! ;P
Attachments
Chapter One.doc
(138 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri May 16, 2008 6:24 pm
enzoguy15 says...

I think it was really great. There were only a few problems that I came across. One was punctuation. Somewhere in there after a short sentence, (about 15-20 words long), you forgot a period. I think it was i the middle. Next are two sentences that I found a problem in:

"But Mr. Garret and Miss Nathanial are also are good friends"
(You need to take out one of the are, or take out an are and the also.)

“ 'That was your sister, was it?' "
(I don't know the problem with this sentence, but something isn't right. I think if you replace "was" with wasn't, that would be better.)

The last thing was the length. I don't know if it was just me, (and my ability of slow reading), but it was really long. Maybe you should make it two different chapters, because it took me just over an hour to read.

Other than that, I thought it was great.-Jeni

P.S- Since it took me so long to read, I will have to read chapter 2 and 3 later. But don't worry, I will read them.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat May 24, 2008 2:11 pm
View Likes
Esmé says...

Well, I edited the first chapters. All comments and/or impressions are included in the attachments, so you can just go on and read that instead of this. Cheers!

Or no. I just opened it. The comments are gone. Ugh.

EDIT: I copied and pasted them. Not pretty at all, but will have to do.
Attachments
CHAPTER ONE.doc
Very un-pretty, my added comments.
(231 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Sat May 31, 2008 7:36 pm
CK Lynn says...

I liked this. It could go a bit faster, though, cut out the unnessecary discription.
Attachments
Needles&Roses1.doc
(72 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
"Just saying none of us want to conquer the world won't stop some other idiot from trying."
~Liberty and Justice, by Paul Dini

www.batmanworldblog.blogspot.com

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:13 pm
JFW1415 says...

I'm finally done!

First off, I'm really sorry about the wait. Life's been crazy lately. Chapter Six will be critiqued next, though - don't worry!

Only one main problem with this, besides the million little comments I made: the length. If this were a book, I'd put it down. Why don't you split it at one of the *****'s? The rest of your chapters are shorter, and this just seems to drag on, ruining the amazing-ness it possesses.

Oh, and my comments are strange this time. I only put in five the normal way - the rest are just in a different color. (My critiques constantly change, sorry!)

Yeah...that's basically it. I went really in-depth in the critique, but this is the revised version and doesn't really need many overall things.

PM me for anything at all!

~JFW1415
Attachments
Chapter One Revised.doc
Finally, it's here!
(89 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:18 am
niccy_v says...

First of all, i agree from above, if this was a book, i'd have put it down long ago.
It drags on far too long and could easily be chopped into shorter chapters. Although i managed to get through it, and it's probably the best chapter 1 of a book i have ever read. Description is amazing, and you've just thrown this chapter together so well!

One thing i found was it was very very choppy. Sentances are far too short in most of the first 5 pages, so i tried linking a few together to make it flow better. Dosn't need to be taken into account but as a critiquer i hate reading stories with so many short lines all over the place.

Good job with the characterisation. I can imaging and see her doing the things; your writing brings the characters to life. You have gotten way into your story though and dragged it along way too much, so if you revised it and sped things up a little readers can stay with you for longer.
Not be cruel but most will probably begin to skip pages or just put it down.

I can't wait for the next chapters though. Good work overall.
Last edited by niccy_v on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Writing gives my life purpose

Sometimes wisdom came from strange places, even from giant teenaged goldfish.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena