z

Young Writers Society

The Diary Of Harriet McCully Chapter 4

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 pm
bugbug368 says...

Whenever I see James now, I get this strange tingle in my stomach. Like butterflies, almost. It’s weird, and I don’t know whether to say it feels good or feels bad. James says he’s grounded, so he’s not allowed out, but he invited me in his house, while his mother’s nipped to the shops. I’m not an expert on the term, grounded, but I’m pretty sure your not allowed to see any friends. But at least he invited me over, and not Christopher.
“You have a lovely home, small, but lovely,” I say, gazing at the massive chandelier in the dining hall, something a bit smaller than mine at home. It reminds me of home, of the time when Dad bought it he was so happy. He got it in the sales. Originally 25 pence. Got it for fifteen pence. Bargain, I say.
“Small? Are you kidding me? This place is bigger than the field out there,” he pointed to the open air, where a gorgeous emerald green field sat.
I raised an eyebrow.
“Okay. Okay. Not as big, but bigger than you can ever know. How big is yours then?” James challenged.
“Not massive. But not small. Has twelve bedrooms in it. If you think that’s big,” I giggle. His face dropped, but smiled again, to reassure me that he wasn’t offended. I mean, why would he be?
“Wow. You win,” he sniggered, offering me a seat. In front of me, there sat a radio. In a gorgeous oak colour, I went over and smoothed it.
“I have a thing for oak, you see. Oak is gorgeous, don’t you think?” I ask. James came down, with two cups of tea and a pack of biscuits. He passed me the tea, in a pink china cup.
“Be careful, we’re not allowed to drink in here. Don’t make any crumbs or spill your tea. Mum will kill me if we do,” he laughs.
“Okay. So, answer my question…” I mutter, sitting down and staring at the photos placed around the room.
“What question? Oh! Yeah, I think oak is… beautiful,” his voice gotten softer as he sipped the tea.
“Yes, it is. Have you done something to your hair?” I change the subject, all this talk about beautifulness was wearing me down.
“Nope, why? Does it look different?”
I stare at him eagerly, looking him up and down. “Yes! I know, you have new shoes on!”
“That’s right! You win, another biscuit,” he shoved the packet onto me, and I carefully took one, holding the edges ever so carefully, trying not to break it.
“Thank you.” I bowed my head down to show my respect. I glanced at the clock, ticking above our heads. It’s twelve. I was ordered to be back at twelve sharp.
“I got to go, I’ll see you later?” I got up taking the last sip and bite from my biscuit and tea.
“See you later,” he got up, seems like he’s over taking me in height, and kissed my cheek. I blushed, but rushed out, without saying goodbye.

“Where were you?” Helen asked, sharply. It was two minutes past twelve. Two minutes late is not good enough. I felt horrid.
“I was… Playing… Football,” it was the first thing that popped into my mind. It was pathetic, as I wasn’t outside, but it was something.
“Why were you late?” Christopher quizzed, chomping on his cheese and pickle sandwich.
“Is it any of your business?” I snapped.
“No, but I want to know,” Chris chuckled.
“Harriet, we were worried about you. If you went off and disappeared we need to know where you are going. If you die of some sort, we are responsible.”
“Okay. Sorry.” My head was hanging low, but my pride was high. Still.
“That is okay, now go make your lunch,” Helen ordered. I wasn’t hungry, after eating three biscuits, but I wasn’t going to make that clear.

Mum sent me a note again. I was racing to get it, but then Elizabeth beat me to it. Half was ripped, and Elizabeth chewed the ripped pieces. This is what I got.
Dear Harriet,
I’m glad you are using your mann
Tommy is okay, he has sent me a le
Have you made any new friends? I hope you
I need to tell you something… Granddad is
Grandma is okay, though. I was going to tell y
want to upset you. Anyway, Dad has reported back a
there. He says he knows loads of people ther
He is missing you but want to give you all his love.
Please write back.
Lots of love, Mum xxx

I started to panic. What is wrong with Granddad? Why didn’t she want to upset me? Helen was really angry with Elizabeth, I said it was fine but inside, I wanted to rip her body apart and find those left over notes.
She didn’t write much, either. Helen went to the post office and got some envelopes and paper. I started writing.
Dear Mum,
I’ve made lots of friends. There’s this boy called James who I really like. He’s shown me around and I’ve been to his house. His Mum was there though, so don’t worry. Say hi to Granddad and Grandma. I… hope Granddad gets better soon. Send him my love. Also send Dad my love, too. It’s good he’s making friends like I am. See you later.
Love from Harriet xxx

I was guessing Granddad was ill. I hope he’s OK. If he’s not, then… then... Mum would think I haven’t read the letter properly.
I never told Mum about James kissing my cheek. She would flip out and then get Helen to keep a close eye on me, and I want to be good friends with James, he’s a nice boy. A really nice boy, and nobody can take that away. Not even my mother
Nobody is more obsessed with Jedward than I am...
- bugbug368

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:44 pm
Titan4ever says...

I really liked it. It is a great addition to the story. Keep writing!!!
-Titan
-Titan4ever
"A day without sunshine is like, well, night."

something I have been thinking about ever since I saw the Super Mario Bros movie is how once I took a "what Nintendo character are you" quiz and I got Waluigi.
— Elinor