z

Young Writers Society

Broken But Not Crushed ~Chapter 1

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:31 am
d@ydre@mer27 says...

This is something I started last year and with every intention of coming back and continuing it, I reviewed it to see what needed to be done. *shudders :shock:
I'm not even going to bother, it is in a dreadful state and needs to be re-written altogether.
So....that said and with a clean slate Iam starting over. Please review, I want to know what you're thinking! :pirate3:

This story is set in Celle, Germany during the years 1943-1945. An 18 year old cellist born to a German father and a half-Jewish mother falls in love with a young German man only a year her senior. Their relationship is kept under wraps for fear of anyone finding out. Meanwhile, World War II is well under way and the infamous prison camp, Bergen-Belsen is functioning only eleven short miles to the north. In the beginning it only held POWs but in 1943 the SS administrators took over a portion of the complex and split it onto two parts, the civilian-residence camp and the ''prisoner's'' camp. The Jewish population in Celle has greatly diminished, now down only fifteen due to Kristallnacht and the outbreak of the war. Liesabet and her family are at risk of being discovered especially since her mother has not registered her true heritage with the city officials.

"In this town, we never before experienced such a stirring up of hatred, intolerance, and threats as we did in the past weeks and days… . In Celle, you are in a soldiers’ town. . . . The preservation and recognition of military virtues, and love and loyalty for our country, are in accordance with the views of people in this area." – Helmuth Hörstmann, mayor of Celle, in 1983 in Klaus Neumann, Shifting Memories: The Nazi Past in the New Germany

Chapter 1

Celle was a soldier's town, signs of which were evident everywhere. Schools and former churches were converted into military stations and holding places for the displaced Jews, gypsies, Poles and etc. War posters were plastered on every street corner. Young boys and girls were raised to become patriotic citizens loyal to their Fuhrer, fierce fighters for the war efforts. Soldiers marched the streets day and night filling the cafes and restaurants with their vulgar language and morbid tales of battles they had seen and people they had killed. There were two different classes of them it seemed, the officers and men of rank and the lowly foot soldiers. The officers were more polite and relaxed as they sat tall in their crisp and freshly pressed uniforms, sipping coffee and talking of women while the others in their muddy boots and wrinkled clothing took long drags on cigarettes and gulped down their liquor, their faces weary, undereyes darkened and sagging, sporting scrubble that hadn't been shaved in days. They had seen the brunt of the fighting.

It was the officers however that Liesabet found she had to worry about as she hurried down the stone streets, cello case in hand. Many of them, starved for a woman's company took pleasure in tormenting her, calling out lewd suggestions as she passed. Such an incident had occurred only a week ago when she had passed through the town's square where she had stopped to stare as a crowd of people all ages, dressed in dirty clothes some bearing the yellow Star of David, had been herded down to the old Jewish synagogue which had been given its new duty as a prison of sorts. They had been treated without respect and were publicly humiliated time and time again and not only by the soldiers, but by the citizens themselves. Many of their faces were streaked with tears while other remained stoic in their anguish. Liesabet found herself next to a neighbor of hers who spat upon them like dirt. Remembering her father's instructions to show no emotion she struggled not to give herself away with her tears.

Even so however, one of the soldiers noticed her and with several of his companions proceeded over to her.
''Sie tut dies verärgert'', one of them asked sharply, ''Does this upset you?'' She had shook her head and averted her gaze. The tallest one and most likely the highest in status out of the group had reached out and touched her cheek with his gloved hand.
''So schön für einen so jungen Menschen'', he said teasingly. She had remained completely still and didn't utter a sound while they continued to talk to her, merely nodding or shaking her head. Her heart had raced the entire time which was only a few minutes as the slow-moving parade passed by. Only then did the group turn and walk away laughing and chuckling to themselves. ''Goodbye my fair wenig Deutsch Mädchen'', the tall one called over his shoulder. She had turned and walked away quickly in the opposite direction desperate to get away from the horrible scene and her tormentors.

She had been late to practice with her friends who were upset by then but when she had explained the circumstances they were quick to forgive. They had a concert to practice for and began immediately. It was to be a small affair held in the tiny theater near the square and most of their attendees were most likely to be the soldiers but it was important to them all the same. Their friendship had formed over music and over the course of several months they had formed quite a close bond. In fact that was where she had met her boyfriend Rory, a charismatic pianist who was a year older than herself. They had first met before he had joined their little band of musicians, at her first actual concert. She remembered it well.........

It was three months ago, she was wearing her favorite yellow dress that drew in close at the waist and was cinched with a small white belt, accentuating her figure. Its sleeves were fitted down to the elbow where they flaired out dramatically. Three over-sized buttons traveled down the front as mock imposters for the dress hooked in back at the nape of the neck. Her favorite part about it however was the collar, lined with a bit of lace which hung open and loose imitating a man's suit jacket. Her hair was done up in pincurls and swept to the side in the popular style and she completed the look with a smear of lipstick and a sweep of mascara. Finished she grabbed her cello case and a sweater on her way out the door as the weather promised a slight chill.

The streets were dark and for the most part empty due to the curfew the soldiers had imposed and she hurried along as fast as she dared to the theater, not wanting to risk being caught alone and unchaperoned. When she arrived backstage her friends were already tuning their instruments and urged her to do the same. She took a deep breath and took a long gaze at the cutain which obstructed her view of the audience who sat beyond and whom she could hear talking and laughing merrily. For most of the people of Celle, productions like these were for the most part the only entertainment allowed to them and they were eager to take advantage of whatever they could. Her pulse began to flutter and her mouth went dry. She woodenly sat down and opened her cello case revealing the aged wood of the instrument which had been passed to her by her grandfather. She ran her fingertips over the carefully maintained strings and felt them reverberate softly.
''Sie wird gut Liesabet'', she heard her friend Corrie say reassuringly to her, ''You will be fine.'' She looked up to meet Corrie's eyes and gave her a smile and a nod.
''Vielen Dank Corrie.''
''Ja, wir waren alle nervös unser erstes Mal,'' a lanky young man named Roland chimed in, ''We were all nervous our first time.'' Laughing Liesabet shook her head and felt some of the tension leave her.
''I don't know why I'm so nervous, I shouldn't be, I know half of the people out there!'', she remarked jokingly.

Feeling re-newed she picked up her instrument, rested it in it's familiar place between her knees and grasped the bow loosely into her hand. Bending her elbow she ran it across the strings and was rewarded with quite possibly her favorite sound, the deep throaty voice of a C-chord followed by a series of Gs and open As. Ten minutes later the call for curtain came and they all rushed to place music sheets in place and straighten appearances. The music selections had been chosen wisely given number of soldiers sure to be in the audience. Several patriotic pieces were sprinkled in with their usual classics. Liesabet watched as Adrian, Roland's twin brother assumed his position as conductor in front of them, his back to the curtain just in time as the heavy red material slowly rose. This was it.

Clapping could be heard and Adrian raised his baton in ready, winking at Liesabet. She shot him a glare and glanced back at the music sheet to gather her thoughts. The first opening strains of Germany's national anthem resounded throughout the small two-level room and everyone stood, removing their hats in respect and also out of fear for receiving the soldier's wrath if any refused. At the cue, Liesabet began to play, still nervous but confident. She scanned the front rows, reserved for family and friends as she went over the notes she had memorized by heart. She could see her mother and father watching her with pride on their faces. She smiled at them and then scanned the rest of the room. One person caught her gaze almost immediately. He sat three rows back next to an elderly gentleman and a soldier who appeared bored already and was trying not to yawn.

He stared intently at her while she played making her flustered. Their eyes met and to her astonishment he winked at her and gave her smile. He was stunningly handsome. Tall but not overly so, his skin fair. Piercing blue eyes she could see from her position on stage set further back in his face giving him an intense look that was lightened only by the tell-tale crinkles around them, betraying his no doubt pension for a good laugh. He had a strong jawline and a narrow mouth which turned up slightly in the corners. Dark, blackish colored hair gave him an air of mysteriousness.

Thoughout the entire performance she felt his eyes upon her but she did her best to ignore him and concentrate on one of the harder selections of the night, Handel's ''Water Suite No. 1.'' She let the music take her over and she played better than she felt she had ever played in her life. When it was over her hands and fingers ached but she felt a sense of definite accomplishment. She looked up to where he had been but he was gone. She felt a slight disappointment but turned her attention back to the resounding applause as she and her fellow musicians rose to take their bows. They exited backstage and after gathering their things together they headed out the back door leading to the alleyway where much to her surprise her mysterious stranger awaited. He stepped forward with a grin and congratulated all of them but then turned to Liesabet and asked if she would like to take a walk with him. Hesitant she turned to her friends to find them already walking around the building to greet their family and the people waiting. They probably assumed that she knew the young man. Her heart raced and she was torn between calling out to them and staying to talk with him. She decided on the latter and he offered his elbow to her. Clutching her cello in her other hand she accepted the gesture and they both headed in the direction of her friends.
Last edited by d@ydre@mer27 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." ~courtesy of one of history's funniest men, Groucho Marx. ^_^

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:32 pm
View Likes
Kiwisatsuma says...

Hi! :)

I really like this, although I play the cello and I'm learning German, so I suppose it would appeal to me. :lol: But the writing was really good and it got especially interesting near the end when you introduced the mysterious man.

One thing I do think you could improve though is dialogue.

''Vielen Dank Corrie.'' ''Ja, wir waren alle nervös unser erstes Mal,'' a lanky young man named Roland chimed in meaning, ''We were all nervous our first time.'' Laughing Liesabet shook her head and felt some of the tension leave her. ''I don't know why I'm so nervous, I shouldn't be, I know half of the people out there!'', she remarked jokingly.

You need to start a new line every time a new person starts speaking. It makes it easier to distinguish who's talking and also stops the story being in such big chunky paragraphs, which can be a bit offputting. So this would be:

''Vielen Dank Corrie.''

''Ja, wir waren alle nervös unser erstes Mal,'' a lanky young man named Roland chimed in meaning, ''We were all nervous our first time.''

Laughing Liesabet shook her head and felt some of the tension leave her. ''I don't know why I'm so nervous, I shouldn't be, I know half of the people out there!''
,(you don't need this comma) she remarked jokingly.

Much easier to follow. :smt001

Secondly, I don't think it's really working at the moment with having some of the dialogue in German, translated into English, and some of it in English, seemingly randomly. With the German bits only some of it is translated, which means that people who don't know any German won't be able to follow everything. If this is written for an English speaking audience then the vast majority of the dialogue should be in English so that people know what's going on. I would suggest having it all in English, and maybe just having a few occasional well known German words to make it sound authentic. At the moment it's a bit of a muddle.

Another thing, which is just a tiny nitpick:

the deep throaty voice of a G-chord followed by a series of middle Cs and lower Ds.

I love the "throaty voice" description, but you haven't got the strings quite right. It goes A, D, G, C from highest to lowest, so D string is actually higher than G string. Open string C isn't middle C, it's two octaves below. You can play middle C on a cello but that's higher up, and not on an open string.

And speaking of cellos, it would be nice if we actually had a description of the music she's playing and what it's like. The way it is at the moment she starts playing the piece and then the entire time she's playing she's staring at some German guy. And yeah, she might well know the piece off by heart and be able to play it without really thinking, but if it's a concert then she's gonna be concentrating hard to play it as well as she can. So it seems quite unrealistic to not describe the music at all in this scene. Perhaps you could have the piece, and then description of the mysterious guy inbetween, in glimpses? Just a suggestion though; it's up to you. :)

These are just small niggling things though and overall this is an interesting beginning. I hope you post more soon, 'cause I'd definitely like to read it. :D

PM me if you have an questions about cello playing or this review or anything, and keep writing! :smt003

Reviews: 2
Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:21 pm
9BelowPro says...

Okay,here I go with a review...

d@ydre@mer27 wrote:This story is set in Celle, Germany during the years 1943-1945. An 18 year old cellist born to a German father and a half-Jewish mother falls in love with a young German man only a year her senior. Their relationship is kept under wraps for fear of anyone finding out. Meanwhile, World War II is well under way and the infamous prison camp, Bergen-Belsen is functioning only eleven short miles to the north. In the beginning it only held POWs but in 1943 the SS administrators took over a portion of the complex and split it onto two parts, the civilian-residence camp and the ''prisoner's'' camp. The Jewish population in Celle has greatly diminished, now down only fifteen due to Kristallnacht and the outbreak of the war. Liesabet and her family are at risk of being discovered especially since her mother has not registered her true heritage with the city officials.
This is all right to have on YWS but if you were to publish the story it would be best to leave this out.

d@ydre@mer27 wrote:"In this town, we never before experienced such a stirring up of hatred, intolerance, and threats as we did in the past weeks and days… . In Celle, you are in a soldiers’ town. . . . The preservation and recognition of military virtues, and love and loyalty for our country, are in accordance with the views of people in this area." – Helmuth Hörstmann, mayor of Celle, in 1983 in Klaus Neumann, Shifting Memories: The Nazi Past in the New Germany
Keep this for its beautifully written and it gives the read a since of what is about to take place.

d@ydre@mer27 wrote:Indeed as the statement above indicates,
I remove this and have...
d@ydre@mer27 wrote:Celle was a soldier's town, signs of which were evident everywhere.
...as the opening.

d@ydre@mer27 wrote:There were two different classes of them it seemed, the officers and men of rank and the lowly foot soldiers.
I'd remove "and men of rank" there's no need of it.

d@ydre@mer27 wrote:''Sie tut dies verärgert'', one of them asked sharply, ''Does this upset you?'' She had shook her head and averted her gaze. The tallest one and most likely the highest in status out of the group had reached out and touched her cheek with his gloved hand.
''So schön für einen so jungen Menschen'', he said teasingly. She had remained completely still and didn't utter a sound while they continued to talk to her, merely nodding or shaking her head. Her heart had raced the entire time which was only a few minutes as the slow-moving parade passed by. Only then did the group turn and walk away laughing and chuckling to themselves. ''Goodbye my fair wenig Deutsch Mädchen'', the tall one called over his shoulder. She had turned and walked away quickly in the opposite direction desperate to get away from the horrible scene and her tormentors.
I love how the soldiers speak German, its very unique.

d@ydre@mer27 wrote:''Sie wird gut Liesabet'', she heard her friend Corrie say reassuringly to her, ''You will be fine.'' She looked up to meet Corrie's eyes and gave her a smile and a nod.
''Vielen Dank Corrie.''
''Ja, wir waren alle nervös unser erstes Mal,'' a lanky young man named Roland chimed in, ''We were all nervous our first time.'' Laughing Liesabet shook her head and felt some of the tension leave her.
''I don't know why I'm so nervous, I shouldn't be, I know half of the people out there!'', she remarked jokingly.
Though I loved how the soldiers spoke it would be nice if her friends spoke in English.

d@ydre@mer27 wrote:They probably assumed that they knew the young man.
I think you might "she" were you wrote the second "they

Wow, That was amazing, I loved the story. You did a great job with the characters and setting. Keep up the good work! =D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:06 pm
Shearwater says...

Hi there Dreamer!

I'll be doing a short review for you on this. First of all, you seemed to do a lot of info dumping in this chapter. The first chapter's goal is to steal the readers attention and wit hall the info that you stuff, it's hard to take it all in. Firstly, we don't even really know these characters or what they're personalities are so it becomes difficult to intake all of that information. It's like, overload! xD One more thing, you seemed to have an overall background of the story already in place before the first chapter even begins. It's again, too much information and I want you to be able to tell us this information through your writing, little by little. You don't need to explain everything to us right on the bat. Leave breadcrumbs, if you must.

Also, your introduction need some more work. It's quite boring if you decided to describe a location. Why not give us some character thoughts or feelings? Something that makes us think about the story or what is to come. A small, tiny glimpse of what we're going to see in this upcoming novel.

Right now, the writing looks like a clump of text. There is a option in the editing section where you can choose a 'story' format. Selecting that will put breaks in between your paragraphs so it looks neater. Presentation, although might not mean much, can make a different.

Lastly, your story seems to be more tell than show. I want you to be able to show your characters emotions through your writing. Little actions can do that. Instead of saying she was angry, say her eyes narrowed and her lips curved up. Dig deeper because in cases, actions speak louder than words.

All the best on the rest of your novel!
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 am
View Likes
Azila says...

Hi! Here I am, as requested. ^_^ I'm sorry it took a little while for me to get this to you! Things have been rather crazy lately in my part of the bush.

I'm not going to do any nit-picks. If you'd like me to do them in my future chapter reviews, just let me know, but I'm assuming you'd rather have more overall comments. I figure if you're writing a novel you probably don't want to hear about missing commas and stuff like that. Besides, all that stuff is pretty much just a matter of personal style anyway, and I don't want to get in the way of that. Anyhow, there is one thing that I just have to point out:
She remembered it well.........
Please don't do so many periods! >.< An ellipsis, (also known as "dot dot dot") is a perfectly valid form of punctuation. But there's a reason it's called "dot dot dot," and not "dot dot dot dot dot dot dot dot dot." ^_~ Actually, it is grammatically correct to end an ellipsis in a period (thus making it "dot dot dot dot") if it's at the end of a sentence... but... well, I'm getting sidetracked. I suggest you read up a bit on the rules of ellipses, though, because having all those periods makes your writing look amateur.

That was a terrible introduction to a review! It makes it sound like I hate the piece. Which I definitely don't. In fact, I am very intrigued by it. For one thing, I know lots of cellists (including my brother and some good friends) and they're awesome people. It's such a fabulous instrument--it gives an air of sophistication to whatever context it's mentioned in! And even though I only just met your character, I am really interested in her because of her cellist status. Also, after reading your summary, I am very interested in your novel. Now, your summary wasn't meant to be fine literature, and it isn't. It's just facts. But I gotta say, it's some interesting facts! If I read something like that on the back of a novel at a library or bookstore, I would be instantly intrigued. Which means that I think you've got a great idea here and I am excited to see where it goes.

Okay, that said I'd like to say a few things about your style. A few of your other reviewers seem to think that it is "tell-y." That comes from the whole "show, don't tell" mantra that is very popular these days. Now--no offense to your reviewers, of course, but I don't think that you really need to worry about that. Unless you want to, that is. The thing is, I can see your writing coming off as a bit dry. This is just your style, I think, but it's the impression I got when reading. I feel like you've done a lot of research, and you want to be very factual... so much so that you end up putting a lot more emphasis on facts than on emotion, or character building. Like I say, this whole "show, don't tell" thing is a pretty modern movement, though, so it should only be followed if you want your writing to sound modern. Right now, it sounds old-fashioned to me. I don't know what you're going for, but this sounds rather stark and cold and impersonal. You don't give a very good sense of Liesbet's character--all we know about her, really, is her circumstance. I'm not trying to be mean at all--actually, I found it refreshing and unusual--but if you want it to be more intimate you might try "showing" the emotions a little more. For example, you could try avoiding saying things like "she felt ____," since that's considered "telling." Instead, you could try explaining her emotions--explain the tingling fingers, the dizzy thoughts, the tingling eyes, whatever. But, of course, this is all up to you. I definitely don't want to tell you to abandon your personal style! It all depends on what effect you're going for.

Another thing I'd like to talk about is the jumps in time. This might be because it's past my bedtime and my brain fell asleep about an hour ago, but I had a rather difficult time following the narrative because of all the temporal jumps. First, she's heading to her rehearsal, getting teased by officers. But then you start using past perfect tense ("she had done this, he had gone there") which makes me think it's a flashback to a time before the time of the first and second paragraphs. I actually was under that impression until I read the whole chapter for a second time. I'm not going to give you a lecture on grammar, but you may want to sort that out--perfect tenses are really tricky, nasty things that are always biting us writers in nasty places. >.< I get the feeling you're pretty good with grammar, so you don't need to be educated on this--just reminded. But if you want help with perfect tenses, feel free to PM me about it. Anyway, then there's the flashback to "three months ago," when she met her boyfriend. But that flashback isn't really a full story so much as a glimpse at one. I guess the whole chapter just felt a little disconnected to me. The tense issue was a big part of that, but even if it wasn't, I'm just not sure what happens in this chapter. I think it might feel more complete if you had the whole flashback (to "three months ago"). Then you could have the chapter end with Liesabet being "woken" up from her reverie. That's just a suggestion, of course, and you don't have to take it, but it feels strange to have a flashback be straddling two chapters--unless, of course, the time "three months ago" is going to be the time in which most of the novel takes place. Does that make any sense? Well, I'm going to drop the subject now, because this paragraph is obscenely long. >.<

Now for a few technical things I'd like to point out: firstly, I'd like you to be careful how you talk about the cello case. Those things are big and cumbersome. Nowadays a lot of cello cases have shoulder-straps. I'm not sure if they had those in the '40s, but there's a reason that they have them now, and it's not because cello cases are easy to carry by hand. I think you need to keep in mind the instruments considerable size and rather awkward (to carry) shape, because right now you mention it rather lightly. The other thing I'd like to mention a long those lines is that for an instrumentalist, their instrument is the center of their universe. Especially if it's been handed down from their grandfather, and especially if they're in a dangerous place, with people they doesn't trust, any cellist I know would probably be worrying more about their cello's safety than their own. Just something to think about.

All in all, I'm really intrigued. I have to applaud you for taking on Holocaust fiction. I imagine it is a difficult time to write about--and not just difficult emotionally. It's recent enough that you have no excuse to not be spot-on with your research, but it's long enough ago that (even though it's well-documented) it's still hard to feel like you can research enough to really understand what it would be like to live in that time. I'd recommend looking at photographs and such from that time, but I presume you're already doing that. As you probably know, it's a genre that's written about a lot, and it's an extremely touchy issue. I'm Jewish, and I have fairly close relatives who died in concentration camps--but I think everyone has some sort of personal reaction to the Holocaust, and a lot of people are very, very sensitive about it. For good reason.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough. Like I say, I am very intrigued by this and I shall definitely read chapter two (when I get a chance!). And, unless the writing takes a huge polar turn, I shall continue onward from there, I think.

Please PM me or write on my wall if you have any questions or comments or anything about my review!

I hope this helps.

a

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:40 am
Rascalover says...

Hey,
Thanks for requesting a review.

This story is set in Celle, Germany during the years 1943-1945. An 18 year old cellist born to a German father and a half-Jewish mother falls in love with a young German man only a year her senior. Their relationship is kept under wraps for fear of anyone finding out. Meanwhile, World War II is well under way and the infamous prison camp, Bergen-Belsen is functioning only eleven short miles to the north. In the beginning it only held POWs but in 1943 the SS administrators took over a portion of the complex and split it onto two parts, the civilian-residence camp and the ''prisoner's'' camp. The Jewish population in Celle has greatly diminished, now down only fifteen due to Kristallnacht and the outbreak of the war. Liesabet and her family are at risk of being discovered especially since her mother has not registered her true heritage with the city officials.

This would be best for the back cover of your book when or if it gets published, but I am glad you posted it with chapter one because it gives us an outline of the story.

"In this town, we never before experienced such a stirring up of hatred, intolerance, and threats as we did in the past weeks and days… . In Celle, you are in a soldiers’ town. . . . The preservation and recognition of military virtues, and love and loyalty for our country, are in accordance with the views of people in this area." – Helmuth Hörstmann, mayor of Celle, in 1983 in Klaus Neumann, Shifting Memories: The Nazi Past in the New Germany

Personally, I love starting chapters out with qoutes, so will every chapter start this way?

Celle was a soldier's town, signs of which were evident everywhere.

I feel that, Celle was a soldier's town, should be a sentence all it's own because it makes for a strong beginning sentence then what you have right now.

Schools and former churches were converted into military stations and holding places for the displaced Jews, gypsies, Poles and etc.

This maybe a little nit-picky, but I don't think you need the and before the etc. I think it would sound better without it, but it's just a suggestion.

I love you description in that first paragraph, great way to start a chapter!

It was the officers however that Liesabet found she had to worry about as she hurried down the stone streets, cello case in hand.

There should be a comma before and after however because it is interupting the flow of the sentence.

Many of them, starved for a woman's company took pleasure in tormenting her, calling out lewd suggestions as she passed.

There should be a comment after company.

Such an incident had occurred only a week ago when she had passed through the town's square where she had stopped to stare as a crowd of people all ages, dressed in dirty clothes some bearing the yellow Star of David, had been herded down to the old Jewish synagogue which had been given its new duty as a prison of sorts.

This is a run-on sentence, and I'm not really sure how to fix it, but to break it up into different sentences. This is just an example: Such an incident had occured only a week ago; she was passing through the town's square where she had stopped to stare as a crowd of people all ages. Dressed in dirty clothes, some bearing the yellow star of David, the people had been herded down to the old Jewish synagogue, which had been given it's new duty as a prison of sorts.

Also there needs to be an apostrophe between the t and s of its in that last sentence.

Many of their faces were streaked with tears while other remained stoic in their anguish.

Shoulder be others

Even so however, one of the soldiers noticed her and with several of his companions proceeded over to her.

Even so however doesn't make much sense I recommend trying one or ther other not both. Even so or however

She had been late to practice with her friends who were upset by then but when she had explained the circumstances they were quick to forgive.

This too is a run-on sentence try fixing it like this: She had been late to practice with her friends, and they were upset. When she explained the circumstances though, they were quick to forgive.

It was to be a small affair held in the tiny theater near the square and most of their attendees were most likely to be the soldiers but it was important to them all the same.

This isa run-on sentence. Fix it by replacing the and (after square) with a semi-colon (;) and adding a comma after soldiers.

Their friendship had formed over music and over the course of several months they had formed quite a close bond.

There needs to be a comma after music to make this a sentence instead of a run-on. When combining two complete sentence there are two ways to do so. Add a semi-colon or to add a comma followed by a conjunction (For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So)

She remembered it well.........

There is no reason for the ..., but if you are head set on using them only add three ...

It was three months ago, she was wearing her favorite yellow dress that drew in close at the waist and was cinched with a small white belt, accentuating her figure.

Great description!

Its sleeves were fitted down to the elbow where they flaired out dramatically. Three over-sized buttons traveled down the front as mock imposters for the dress hooked in back at the nape of the neck. Her favorite part about it however was the collar, lined with a bit of lace which hung open and loose imitating a man's suit jacket. Her hair was done up in pincurls and swept to the side in the popular style and she completed the look with a smear of lipstick and a sweep of mascara. Finished she grabbed her cello case and a sweater on her way out the door as the weather promised a slight chill.

The streets were dark and for the most part empty due to the curfew the soldiers had imposed and she hurried along as fast as she dared to the theater, not wanting to risk being caught alone and unchaperoned.

This is a run-on sentence. To fix it I suggest adding a comma after dark and replacing the and after imposed with a semi-colon.

She took a deep breath and took a long gaze at the cutain which obstructed her view of the audience who sat beyond and whom she could hear talking and laughing merrily.

Add a comma after beyond. You use and alot; try switching up your sentence structure by adding commas and semi-colons so that it doesn't get boring or redundant.

For most of the people of Celle, productions like these were for the most part the only entertainment allowed to them and they were eager to take advantage of whatever they could.

Add a comma after them.

She woodenly sat down and opened her cello case revealing the aged wood of the instrument which had been passed to her by her grandfather.

She woodenly sat down? I don't think that's the right description you want to give her, maybe try stiff or mechanically.

Ten minutes later the call for curtain came and they all rushed to place music sheets in place and straighten appearances.

Add a comma after curtain came

Liesabet watched as Adrian, Roland's twin brother assumed his position as conductor in front of them, his back to the curtain just in time as the heavy red material slowly rose. This was it.

It would be nice to see a little more description here. What are her emotions? What does it feel like when the curtain goes up? Does she look out at the audience or keep her head to the music?

Clapping could be heard and Adrian raised his baton in ready, winking at Liesabet.

add a comma after heard. Also, in ready doesn't sound right, maybe you should try just ready.

The first opening strains of Germany's national anthem resounded throughout the small two-level room and everyone stood, removing their hats in respect and also out of fear for receiving the soldier's wrath if any refused.

Add a comma after room to avoid this being a run-on.

He sat three rows back next to an elderly gentleman and a soldier who appeared bored already and was trying not to yawn.

Replace the add after already with a comma.

Their eyes met and to her astonishment he winked at her and gave her smile.

Add a comma after met and the word a after her.

He was stunningly handsome. Tall but not overly so, his skin fair.

The second sentence is not a sentence at all, but a fragment. To correct this I would place the period with a comma adn lower case tall, and put and after the comma that's after so.

Piercing blue eyes she could see from her position on stage set further back in his face giving him an intense look that was lightened only by the tell-tale crinkles around them, betraying his no doubt pension for a good laugh.

These last few sentences of description have a feeling of awkwardness; I don't know what it is though, maybe just the wording of them. Add a comma after eyes.

Thoughout the entire performance she felt his eyes upon her but she did her best to ignore him and concentrate on one of the harder selections of the night, Handel's ''Water Suite No. 1.''

Add a comma after upon her to avoid this being a run-on sentence.

She let the music take her over and she played better than she felt she had ever played in her life.

Add a comma after take her over to make this a complete sentence.

When it was over her hands and fingers ached but she felt a sense of definite accomplishment.

Add a comma after ached because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.

She looked up to where he had been but he was gone.

Add a comma after been because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.

They exited backstage and after gathering their things together they headed out the back door leading to the alleyway where much to her surprise her mysterious stranger awaited.

Add a comma after backstage to combine the two complete sentences and add a comma after together.

Her heart raced and she was torn between calling out to them and staying to talk with him.

Add a comma after raced.

She decided on the latter and he offered his elbow to her.

Add a comma after latter.

Clutching her cello in her other hand she accepted the gesture and they both headed in the direction of her friends.

Add a comma after gesture.

Overall: I love the plot, and the characters are developing well. Watch out for run-on sentences though. Re-reading your work, or reading it out loud helps to find where your commas go and to help find pesky run-on sentences. I hope my review was helpful. Feel free to request one any time.

Have a great day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
— Martin Luther King Jr.