Young Writers Society

My Robin Hood Chapt. 4

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 am
View Likes
Forestqueen808 says...

Chapter Four

I felt heat rushing through my body as the sound of voices came into my ears. Whispers rang through the forest and the clanking of dishes suddenly ceased as we drew in what I suppose was the camp. “Is Robin here yet?” Will asked someone who was standing next to the horse.

“I believe he just got back moments before you arrived, who is this?” the man asked. His voice was deep and gruff, he sounded big and important.

“Ailwin, he stole the sheriff’s horse and all the taxes from Nottingham that were gathered today. Even you couldn’t do that Little John,” Will chuckled. “Can you go get Robin for me, I think he has to meet this kid.”

“That I’ll do,” Little John said and I heard his cumbersome footsteps fade away. Will got down from the horse and helped me down as well. He gripped my shoulder with a hard, but gentle touch. We stood there, an occasional hello passing to Will, but no one else seemed to acknowledge me, but if they did it must have been with their eyes.

“What color is your hair Will?” I asked, shocked by my own question.

“A reddish color, why?”

“I can’t see…” I said. I felt myself turn automatically and slowly, but carefully ran my fingers over his face. A strong jawline, cheeks lined with an occasional scar. I felt my fingertips touch his soft eyelids, the only part of him that didn’t seem weatherworn. “And, what color are your eyes?”

“Blue,” he said as my fingers traced his lips into a smile. My hands shook slightly as I pulled away. Were all the men here as scarred and weatherbeaten as Will was? Did they all have pain? Was that the cost of being an outlaw?

“Now what have we got here?” a familiar voice rang through the air, making my heart increase in speed. I could recognize that voice anywhere, I’d been replaying it in my head for the past week. “Another young outlaw?”

“Aye,” Will said. “Ailwin, he’s almost fifteen. Stole the sheriff’s horse and taxes.”

Robin chuckled. “Brave fellow. Where did you find him?”

“Near the river, hiding under a bush. I was riding along and hid once I heard hoof beats, saw him being chased by the sheriff. Lucky for him he was riding the sheriff’s horse, and you know how fast that devil is.”

“Aye I do. Well, what should we do with him? Keep him?”

“Oh please Robin, please let me stay. I have no where to go. My mother left and I my father is injured, please let me stay,” I begged, falling to my knees, the lie coming out of my mouth as smoothly as a freshly made sword.

I felt eyes upon me as I knelt there at Robin’s feet, my eyes nearly gushing with tears. I couldn’t see, but I felt his eyes lock with mine. “You blind?” he asked quietly, just as he had a week ago.

I nodded. “But newly blind. Only been blind about a year or so.”

“Well, what say the men?” he asked the crowd. “Should we keep Ailwin? Or leave him to be hung?”

“I say we give him a chance,” Will spoke. “Robin, you can’t let a fifteen year old boy die.”

“But what is he to us?” a voice from the crowd called. “Just another mouth to feed!”

“Look at what he stole for you!” Will snarled, snatching the saddle bag and pouring out the gold pieces. “You don’t think this is enough of a price?”

The crowd was quiet. I looked down, praying that Robin had a good heart, praying that he would let me stay. “I’ll do anything I can, if you just let me stay.”

“He can’t fight!” another voice yelled. “He’s blind!”

“Newly blind,” Robin corrected. “He knows how to fight I reckon, am I right?”

I nodded. “I am the best rider in Nottingham, and also the best archer.”

“Is that so? A girl I met a week ago told me she was better than any boy in Nottingham, Ivy was her name.” I felt my cheeks redden slightly and a smile creep upon my lips once more.

“Yes I know her,” I said. “She does beat me, but, who would hang a woman?” I said, quoting the men I had met the day after I met Robin. “Please let me stay, I can fight, steal, ride. Anything you ask.”

“I say we keep him,” Will said.

“So do I,” said Little John. A small chorus of “I’s” rang through the woods slowly. I felt my heart pounding and the tears slowly breaking through their imprisonment.

“Then you stay, Ailwin stays!” Robin shouted. “Welcome to your new homme of Sherwood Forest.”

I couldn’t see darkness enveloping the sky, but out here in the woods, I could feel it. The air cooled slightly, and the wind quit blowing. I felt the fire’s heat and Robin’s arm constantly brushing against mine. I just wanted to lean over and lay on his shoulder, but that would be to feminime. I had to be a boy. I had to not act like a silly little girl. I was an outlaw now, one of Robin Hood’s men.

“Mass tomorrow,” Little John said randomly after he had sipped a small amount of mead. “You goin Robin?”

“Mass?” I asked, surprised.

“Aye, Mass. They give alms to the poor, but we don’t need that. Its just a day for Robin to meet up with his lass,” said the man with the Irish voice, who I learned was named Thomas. “Maiden Marian, she’s one eye catcher.”

Robin chuckled. “I don’t think I’ll be going tomorrow. I have other plans in mind for fun.”

“A robbery?” I asked, excitement coating my voice like a thick sauce.

Robin laughed again. “Of course, but I think you better learn more about camp, you can come on the next one, if needed.”

“Oh,” I said, dissapointed. I felt a big jug placed in my lap, my fingers tracing the top. I looked around, seeing no faces, just black. I looked back down at the jug of mead. Everyone else had had a swig, now it was my turn. I had never drank in my life, should I pass it on?
“You gonna drink it Ailwin?” Will slurred, apparently he had more than one swig.
I nodded and put the jug to my lips. A firey burn grew in the back of my throat, along with the small taste of sick, sweet honey. I pulled it away from my lips, a few spare drops falling down my tunic. I squinted my eyes as the men laughed at my expression.

“Never drank before?” Robin asked. I nodded in reply, pursing my lips. “Its alright,” he laughed. “There’s always a first time for everything.” I felt his hand clasp my shoulder and I swear I almost melted. Robin Hood, was sitting next to me, his hand was touching me. It was the life I had always wanted, the life I had always dreamed of.

I woke up to someone shaking my shoulder. I sat up slowly, wondering where I was. The firmness of the ground beneath me and the leaves in my now short blond hair reminded me, I was in Sherwood Forest.

“Wake up,” Will’s voice said. “Time for breakfast.” I stood up, yawning and gripping his arm as he lead me to where the rest of the men were sitting around a now smoldering fire.

“Where’s Robin?” I asked, yawning once again.

“He already left for town.”

“But I thought he wasn’t going to Mass,” I said, putting a small slice of bread to my lips and taking a bite.

“He’s not,” Will laughed. “Probably going to steal someone’s belongings, like any other day. Hey Tuck!” Another man, who I did not recognize sat down next to me. I could tell his build was big, unlike Will’s lanky but muscled figure. Most of the weight on Tuck’s body seemed more body fat than muscle. “How’s it going?”

“I was making more mead this morning, who’s this?” Tuck asked.

“This is Ailwin, he’s the newest to the band.”

“Nice to meet you,” he said, gripping my hand and shaking it. “Frier Tuck.” I nodded slightly to the Frier before taking another bite of my slice of bread. I chewed silently, still in a daze. The men laughed and exchanged good mornings, me listening quietly.

“Are you ready?” Will asked me after I finished my bread.

“Ready for what?”

“You need a tour of the camp, and more formal introductions,” he said, and I could tell he was smiling.

“I’m ready,” I replied, taking a swig of fresh mead, the taste still stinging my tongue slightly. Will grabbed my hand, helping me stand up. I smiled as we walked through the camp, me wishing I could take in every detail around me.

“Watch your step,” he told me, warning me of a root of a tree weaving its way across a path. I nodded a thanks and felt as he helped me grip the beginning step of a ladder. I climbed up slowly until I reached the top, me feeling for a rail or some support. “Over here,” he said, placing my hand on a smooth edge of wood. I walked around the platform, feeling a small brush of wind lift my shaggy hair slightly.

“Where am I?” I asked, feeling my way around a small shack on top of the platform. “I mean, how does it look? How many platforms are in the trees? I want to know everything.”

“We have a camp that is precisely two miles across and two miles up and down, and platforms are in all the surrounding trees. Pretty simple.”

“Are there bridges?” I asked, stepping on the slightly creaking wood.

“Yes, a few connecting the homes of families.”

“Where is one that I can walk on?”

“I don’t think that would be the best Ailwin…”

“I want to Will,” I said defiently. “I’m one of you now, I should be able to walk on a bridge. I wasn’t born blind, I still remember them.”

“But they are shaky-”

“Please Will,” I said. I heard him sigh and he grasped my shoulder, pushing me to an edge. I stepped on piece of wood that made my whole body shake. I held myself steady with my arms outstretched. “You can let go now Will,” I said. I felt his hand leave my shoulder and took in deep breaths, forcing myself to remain calm. “Am I up high Will?”

“No Ailwin, its not that high.”

“Don’t lie Will,” I said, giggling slightly. “I can sense more than you think.” I felt my hand grasp a small bit of rope, making a hand grasp for me. I walked slowly, making sure I stepped on the wood every time. My heart drummed as I heard voices below ask Will what the hell he was letting me do, but I just kept walking. I had to do this, they wouldn’t let me fight if I couldn’t cross a measly bridge.

Then came the slip. “Ailwin! Watch out! There’s a missing plank!” But Will had shouted it too late. I felt my whole left leg plunge down a hole, the only reason I was staying on the bridge was because of my right leg being outstretched. The pain burned in my thighs as I quickly tried to hoist myself up, but in vain. I let out a cry of pain that I knew sounded too feminine, but I didn’t care, it burned.

“I’ve got you Ailwin!” Will shouted, as I heard his footsteps pound across the shaking bridge, making my skin feel as if it were being torn apart. I breathed in and out, my heart drumming as I felt the wind whistle below me and the cries of men and women alike. “I’ve gotcha,” Will whispered, grabbing my arms and slowly pulling me up, releasing me from the burning pain. “You alright?” he asked, gripping me fiercely by my shoulders.

I nodded and slowly began walking before Will held me back. “No Ailwin, you could have fallen to your death, we need to turn back around right now.”

“No Will,” I argued. “I’m going to cross this bridge.” My voice was shaky, but I knew where the missing plank was now, I could clear it easily. I shook off Will’s hands and made a leap for it, clearing the gaping hole. I gripped the rope lining the bridge once again and continued on my way till I felt firm wood beneath my feet.

“Are you alright?” a voice said behind me. I turned and felt strong firm hands holding my arms in a tough grip.
I nodded in reply. “I’m fine Robin, really. It was just a little slip. When did you get back?” I asked hurriedly, not to carry on about the accident.

“Just moments ago when you were hanging by your leg and arms. I was climbing up to help you, but Will got there first.” I closed my eyes and opened them once more, hoping to see Robin’s face, but it was all still black, black as it had always been. I reached my hands up to his face and traced his jawline, his brow, his scarred neck. I felt below his chin where a large cut had formed a scab, and over his soft eyelids. I ran my fingers through his slightly long hair sticking up messily from being windblown and across his cheeks where his whiskers ran fine and short.

“I wish I could actually see you,” I whispered longingly, tracing the outline of his fine lips. I quickly pulled away, turning away from him. “Are you going to teach me how to sword fight or something?” I said, quickly changing the subject.

Robin was silent. “Uh…yeah.” He finally said, gripping my shoulders like Will had. He held me close to him as we gripped onto a rope, slowly sliding down until our feet touched firm ground. “You practiced archery right?” Robin asked.
I nodded. “Yes, I did a lot actually. But sadly I don’t know a thing about swordfighting.”

“I think archery would be a better fit for you, but…if you really want to learn how to fight with swords Will can teach you that I’m sure-”

“No,” I said quickly. “You’re right, archery might be better for me. It will be easier and people can point me towards the targets right? And sword fighting, I might kill the wrong person, and people can’t be standing by me telling me where to stab all the time right?”

“Right,” Robin said quietly.

“Is something wrong?” I asked.

“What? Oh no, not at all.”

“How was town?” I asked as we continued walking, far away from the sounds of camp.

“Nice, I saw people I knew, figured things out, stole things that needed to be stolen. You know, the usual,” he said, and I could tell by the way his voice chimed that he was smiling.

“You have friends in town?”

He laughed. “Ailwin, you don’t just think that because I’m an outlaw that my only friends are outlaws do you?”

I felt my cheeks redden. “No, of course not. I know about Marian but that was it.”

He sighed. “Marian, she’s so much like her brother Peter. She’s not as adventurous, but so funny. She rambles on and on and stutters when she’s nervous, its so cute.”

I felt my heart ache slightly, though I don’t know why. “I bet she’s really pretty,” I mumbled.

“Oh yes, so beautiful, gorgeous. Brown wavy locks and the brightest blue eyes you’ve ever seen. Oh and her smile, one of the finest. Its actually very white and clean, and her laugh. Her laugh can make you smile so much.”

“She sounds like one of a kind,” I whispered. I felt my throat force out the next sticky question. “Do you love her?”

I heard Robin stop, and I stopped along side him. I swear I could almost feel the smile radiating an indescribable heat. I could almost see his eyes that were full of joy and happiness. “I couldn’t love anyone more.”
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

Reviews: 2
Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:02 pm
horsegirl2 says...

Wow! Very good I was drawn right into the story. Saw a few type-os, but no major mistakes Can't wait for the next part!
~Horses let my spirit fly~
"We must do with out hope...Let us gird ourselves and weep no more" - J.R.R. Tolkien

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:39 pm
thorn95 says...

This story just keeps getting better and better!
Love is poison. Ink is lethal.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:32 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

“I can’t see…” I said. I felt myself turn automatically and slowly, but carefully ran my fingers over his face. A strong jawline, cheeks lined with an occasional scar. I felt my fingertips touch his soft eyelids, the only part of him that didn’t seem weatherworn. “And, what color are your eyes?”

“Blue,” he said as my fingers traced his lips into a smile. My hands shook slightly as I pulled away. Were all the men here as scarred and weatherbeaten as Will was? Did they all have pain? Was that the cost of being an outlaw?

I thought Will would’ve felt weird having a young boy run his fingers over his lips in front of everyone, but oh well. I liked your last statement about the cost of being an outlaw.

“Now what have we got here?” a familiar voice rang through the air, making my heart increase in speed. I could recognize that voice anywhere, I’d been replaying it in my head for the past week. “Another young outlaw?”

“Aye,” Will said. “Ailwin, he’s almost fifteen. Stole the sheriff’s horse and taxes.”

“Near the river, hiding under a bush. I was riding along and hid once I heard hoof beats, saw him being chased by the sheriff. Lucky for him he was riding the sheriff’s horse, and you know how fast that devil is.”

“Oh please Robin, please let me stay. I have no where to go. My mother left and I my father is injured, please let me stay,” I begged, falling to my knees, the lie coming out of my mouth as smoothly as a freshly made sword.

I felt eyes upon me as I knelt there at Robin’s feet, my eyes nearly gushing with tears. I couldn’t see, but I felt his eyes lock with mine. “You blind?” he asked quietly, just as he had a week ago.

If you think about it, if this blind boy knew Robin’s name before he saw him, wouldn’t people be suspicious? Robin would probably ask how he knew it was him, or something since they never really introduced him as Robin, we just assumed.

I couldn’t see darkness enveloping the sky, but out here in the woods, I could feel it. The air cooled slightly, and the wind quit blowing. I felt the fire’s heat and Robin’s arm constantly brushing against mine. I just wanted to lean over and lay on his shoulder, but that would be to feminime. I had to be a boy. I had to not act like a silly little girl. I was an outlaw now, one of Robin Hood’s men.

Feminine.

“Mass tomorrow,” Little John said randomly after he had sipped a small amount of mead. “You goin Robin?”

Goin’

“Oh,” I said, dissapointed. I felt a big jug placed in my lap, my fingers tracing the top. I looked around, seeing no faces, just black. I looked back down at the jug of mead. Everyone else had had a swig, now it was my turn. I had never drank in my life, should I pass it on?

Disappointed. And you don’t need to tell us that all you saw was black. It’s a given.

“He’s not,” Will laughed. “Probably going to steal someone’s belongings, like any other day. Hey Tuck!” Another man, who I did not recognize sat down next to me. I could tell his build was big, unlike Will’s lanky but muscled figure. Most of the weight on Tuck’s body seemed more body fat than muscle. “How’s it going?”

You can’t recognize anyone because you’re blind. Maybe say you couldn’t recognize his voice instead or something. Don’t forget you’re still blind, and you can’t tell someones weight, either.
I heard Robin stop, and I stopped along side him. I swear I could almost feel the smile radiating an indescribable heat. I could almost see his eyes that were full of joy and happiness. “I couldn’t love anyone more.”

Awww! So sad :(. Poor Ivy.
I loved loved loved this chapter too! I notice this every now and then, but sometimes you repeat some descriptions. I think there was one sentence when you said Robin gripped your shoulders and then you gripped the rope. Repeating things like that can be distracting, so make sure you read through your work and find synonyms.

I’m really loving this so I’ll come back for more chapters! Keep writing!!!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 pm
emmily says...

Forestqueen808 wrote:Chapter Four

I felt heat rushing through my body as the sound of voices came into my ears. Whispers rang through the forest and the clanking of dishes suddenly ceased as we drew in what I suppose was the camp. “Is Robin here yet?” Will asked someone who was standing next to the horse.

“I believe he just got back moments before you arrived, who is this?” (I think this should be two seperate sentences. Also, some kind of description beyond 'Who is this' would make that line a little clearer. Even if it was just comething like 'Who have you got there? or Where did he come from?) the man asked. His voice was deep and gruff, he sounded big and important.

“Ailwin, he stole the sheriff’s horse and all the taxes from Nottingham that were gathered today. Even you couldn’t do that Little John,” Will chuckled. “Can you go get Robin for me, I think he has to meet this kid.”

“That I’ll do,” Little John said and I heard his cumbersome footsteps fade away. Will got down from the horse and helped me down as well. He gripped my shoulder with a hard, but gentle touch. We stood there, an occasional hello passing to Will, but no one else seemed to acknowledge me, but if they did it must have been with their eyes.

“What color is your hair Will?” I asked, shocked by my own question.

“A reddish color, why?”

“I can’t see…” I said. I felt myself turn automatically and slowly, but carefully ran my fingers over his face. (Not only is Will a total stranger but as an outlaw, he would be especially wary of people he doesn't know) A strong jawline, cheeks lined with an occasional scar. I felt my fingertips touch his soft eyelids, the only part of him that didn’t seem weatherworn. “And, what color are your eyes?”

“Oh please Robin, please let me stay. I have no where (one word) to go. My mother left (Is there a way you could word this that would sound a little stronger. Right now I feel like she might have just gone shopping or something)and I my father is injured, please let me stay,” I begged, falling to my knees, the lie coming out of my mouth as smoothly as a freshly made sword.

“Well, what say the men?” he asked the crowd. “Should we keep Ailwin? Or leave him to be hung?”

“I say we give him a chance,” Will spoke. “Robin, you can’t let a fifteen year old boy die.”

“But what is he to us?” a voice from the crowd called. “Just another mouth to feed!”

“Look at what he stole for you!” Will snarled, snatching the saddle bag and pouring out the gold pieces. “You don’t think this is enough of a price?”

The crowd was quiet. I looked down, praying that Robin had a good heart, praying that he would let me stay. “I’ll do anything I can, if you just let me stay.”

“He can’t fight!” another voice yelled. “He’s blind!”

“Newly blind,” Robin corrected. “He knows how to fight I reckon, am I right?”

I nodded. “I am the best rider in Nottingham, and also the best archer.”

“Is that so? A girl I met a week ago told me she was better than any boy in Nottingham, Ivy was her name.” I felt my cheeks redden slightly and a smile creep upon my lips once more.

“Yes I know her,” I said. “She does beat me, but, who would hang a woman?” I said, quoting the men I had met the day after I met Robin. “Please let me stay, I can fight, steal, ride. Anything you ask.”

“I say we keep him,” Will said.

“So do I,” said Little John. A small chorus of “I’s” (aye's ?) rang through the woods slowly. I felt my heart pounding and the tears slowly breaking through their imprisonment.

“Then you stay, Ailwin stays!” Robin shouted. “Welcome to your new home of Sherwood Forest.”

“Mass?” I asked, surprised.

“Aye, Mass. They give alms to the poor, but we don’t need that. Its just a day for Robin to meet up with his lass,” said the man with the Irish voice, who I learned was named Thomas. “Maiden Marian, she’s one eye catcher.”

Robin chuckled. “I don’t think I’ll be going tomorrow. I have other plans in mind for fun.”

“A robbery?” I asked, excitement coating my voice like a thick sauce.

Robin laughed again. “Of course, but I think you better learn more about camp, you can come on the next one, if needed.” (new sentence)
“You gonna drink it Ailwin?” Will slurred, apparently he had more than one swig.
I nodded and put the jug to my lips. A firey burn grew in the back of my throat, along with the small taste of sick, sweet honey. I pulled it away from my lips, a few spare drops falling down my tunic. I squinted my eyes as the men laughed at my expression.

“Never drank before?” Robin asked. I nodded in reply, pursing my lips. “Its alright,” he laughed. “There’s always a first time for everything.” I felt his hand clasp my shoulder and I swear I almost melted. Robin Hood, was sitting next to me, his hand was touching me. It was the life I had always wanted, the life I had always dreamed of.

I woke up to someone shaking my shoulder. I sat up slowly, wondering where I was. The firmness of the ground beneath me and the leaves in my now short blond hair reminded me, I was in Sherwood Forest.

“Wake up,” Will’s voice said. “Time for breakfast.” I stood up, yawning and gripping his arm as he lead me to where the rest of the men were sitting around a now smoldering fire.

“Where’s Robin?” I asked, yawning once again.

“He already left for town.”

“But I thought he wasn’t going to Mass,” I said, putting a small slice of bread to my lips and taking a bite.

“I was making more mead this morning, who’s this?” Tuck asked.

“This is Ailwin, he’s the newest to the band.”

“Nice to meet you,” he said, gripping my hand and shaking it. “Frier Tuck.” I nodded slightly to the Frier before taking another bite of my slice of bread. I chewed silently, still in a daze. The men laughed and exchanged good mornings, me listening quietly.

“Are you ready?” Will asked me after I finished my bread.

“Ready for what?”

“You need a tour of the camp, and more formal introductions,” he said, and I could tell he was smiling.

“I’m ready,” I replied, taking a swig of fresh mead, the taste still stinging my tongue slightly. Will grabbed my hand, helping me stand up. I smiled as we walked through the camp, me wishing I could take in every detail around me.

“Watch your step,” he told me, warning me of a root of a tree weaving its way across a path. I nodded a thanks and felt as he helped me grip the beginning step of a ladder. I climbed up slowly until I reached the top, me feeling for a rail or some support. “Over here,” he said, placing my hand on a smooth edge of wood. I walked around the platform, feeling a small brush of wind lift my shaggy hair slightly.

“Where am I?” I asked, feeling my way around a small shack on top of the platform. “I mean, how does it look? How many platforms are in the trees? I want to know everything.”

“We have a camp that is precisely two miles across and two miles up and down, and platforms are in all the surrounding trees. Pretty simple.” (Some more description here would be nice. Even if there wouldn't be much to say to most new people, Ivy needs more of an explanation since she can't just look around for herself without some sense of how things are set up. Also, the specific detail about the camp being two miles each way doesn't seem like something that this group would have even taken notice of.)
“Are there bridges?” I asked, stepping on the slightly creaking wood.

“Yes, a few connecting the homes of families.”

“Where is one that I can walk on?”

“I don’t think that would be the best Ailwin…”

“I want to Will,” I said defiently. “I’m one of you now, I should be able to walk on a bridge. I wasn’t born blind, I still remember them.”

“But they are shaky-”

“Please Will,” I said. I heard him sigh and he grasped my shoulder, pushing me to an edge. I stepped on piece of wood that made my whole body shake. I held myself steady with my arms outstretched. “You can let go now Will,” I said. I felt his hand leave my shoulder and took in deep breaths, forcing myself to remain calm. “Am I up high Will?”

“No Ailwin, its not that high.”

“Don’t lie Will,” I said, giggling slightly. “I can sense more than you think.” I felt my hand grasp a small bit of rope, making a hand grasp for me. I walked slowly, making sure I stepped on the wood every time. My heart drummed as I heard voices below ask Will what the hell he was letting me do, but I just kept walking. I had to do this, they wouldn’t let me fight if I couldn’t cross a measly bridge.

Then came the slip. “Ailwin! Watch out! There’s a missing plank!” But Will had shouted it too late. I felt my whole left leg plunge down a hole, the only reason I was staying on the bridge was because of my right leg being outstretched. The pain burned in my thighs as I quickly tried to hoist myself up, but in vain. I let out a cry of pain that I knew sounded too feminine, but I didn’t care, it burned.

“I’ve got you Ailwin!” Will shouted, as I heard his footsteps pound across the shaking bridge, making my skin feel as if it were being torn apart. I breathed in and out, my heart drumming as I felt the wind whistle below me and the cries of men and women alike. “I’ve gotcha,” Will whispered, grabbing my arms and slowly pulling me up, releasing me from the burning pain. “You alright?” he asked, gripping me fiercely by my shoulders.

I nodded and slowly began walking before Will held me back. “No Ailwin, you could have fallen to your death, we need to turn back around right now.”

“No Will,” I argued. “I’m going to cross this bridge.” My voice was shaky, but I knew where the missing plank was now, I could clear it easily. I shook off Will’s hands and made a leap for it, clearing the gaping hole. I gripped the rope lining the bridge once again and continued on my way till I felt firm wood beneath my feet.

“Are you alright?” a voice said behind me. I turned and felt strong firm hands holding my arms in a tough grip.
I nodded in reply. “I’m fine Robin, really. It was just a little slip. When did you get back?” I asked hurriedly, not to carry on about the accident.

“Just moments ago when you were hanging by your leg and arms. I was climbing up to help you, but Will got there first.” I closed my eyes and opened them once more, hoping to see Robin’s face, but it was all still black, black as it had always been. I reached my hands up to his face and traced his jawline, his brow, his scarred neck. I felt below his chin where a large cut had formed a scab, and over his soft eyelids. I ran my fingers through his slightly long hair sticking up messily from being windblown and across his cheeks where his whiskers ran fine and short.

“I wish I could actually see you,” I whispered longingly, tracing the outline of his fine lips. I quickly pulled away, turning away from him. “Are you going to teach me how to sword fight or something?” I said, quickly changing the subject.

Robin was silent. “Uh…yeah.” He finally said, gripping my shoulders like Will had. He held me close to him as we gripped onto a rope, slowly sliding down until our feet touched firm ground. “You practiced archery right?” Robin asked.
I nodded. “Yes, I did a lot actually. But sadly I don’t know a thing about swordfighting.”

“I think archery would be a better fit for you, but…if you really want to learn how to fight with swords Will can teach you that I’m sure-”

“No,” I said quickly. “You’re right, archery might be better for me. It will be easier and people can point me towards the targets right? And sword fighting, I might kill the wrong person, and people can’t be standing by me telling me where to stab all the time right?”

“Right,” Robin said quietly.

“Is something wrong?” I asked.

“What? Oh no, not at all.”

“How was town?” I asked as we continued walking, far away from the sounds of camp.

“Nice, I saw people I knew, figured things out, stole things that needed to be stolen. You know, the usual,” he said, and I could tell by the way his voice chimed that he was smiling.

“You have friends in town?”

He laughed. “Ailwin, you don’t just think that because I’m an outlaw that my only friends are outlaws do you?”

I felt my cheeks redden. “No, of course not. I know about Marian but that was it.”

He sighed. “Marian, she’s so much like her brother Peter. She’s not as adventurous, but so funny. She rambles on and on and stutters when she’s nervous, its so cute.”

I felt my heart ache slightly, though I don’t know why. “I bet she’s really pretty,” I mumbled.

“Oh yes, so beautiful, gorgeous. Brown wavy locks and the brightest blue eyes you’ve ever seen. Oh and her smile, one of the finest. Its actually very white and clean, and her laugh. Her laugh can make you smile so much.”

“She sounds like one of a kind,” I whispered. I felt my throat force out the next sticky question. “Do you love her?”

For some reason, I didn't expect Ivy to get to see the tender side of Robin, particularly so soon after arriving. Also, the places where Ivy feels the faces of Will and Robin to get a sense of what they look like seem really rushed. I wouldn't expect people that she's just meet to be that comfortable around her. Interesting scene with the bridge. I would have liked to have gotten a bit more of an image of the camp (maybe that's coming later?) but otherwise, this was a good chapter.

If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec