z

Young Writers Society

In the Eyes of the Deceiver [Preface]

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:43 pm
ashleylee says...

This is an experimental piece that I decieded to start. I'm not sure if I should continue or not so honest opinions are needed.

Happy Reading!

**Edited as of Oct. 28**

Preface

Winter of 1884

It was in the dark hours of mourning when realization hit me. It was as if my whole life had been lived in the shadows of the unknown, and I was just now being introduced to the revelation of the day. Bile rose unprovoked into my throat, and I clutched feebly at the neckline of my dress. Forcing it down, I tightened my grip on the satin material of my skirt with white-knuckled hands. How could this have happened? How did I not know?
Staring into the pool that was my wine, a variety of emotions filling me until I felt the bile rise again. How could they have lied to me for all these years? Did they have no remorse? No pride?
I raised my eyes to the figures of my mother and sister. They both smiled sorrowfully at the sight of me, identical eyes shimmering with new-fallen tears. My own eyes were dry, something that was abnormal for the wife of a deceased husband. “Darling, why exile yourself? Come, converse,” my mother urged, taking a step towards me.
I stared long and hard into the eyes that I have known since my birth. They were gray in color, watery with swimming salty droplets. Around the pupils, shots of iron-colored ink dotted the irises, hardening the softer gray that outlined them. Tilting my head, I met my sister’s. Same, identical soft gray with iron flecks. Were these the eyes of the deceivers? Or were they just as oblivious as I was to this whole plot?
“Excuse me, mother, but I don’t think I can withstand the charade,” I replied coolly, unable to succumb to the meek daughter I once was.
“Charade? What’s this?” My mother’s eyes blinked free of the tears in blatant shock while my sister lowered her own, embarrassed for me. This only enraged me further.
“Yes, mother, charade. Those people care not for the well being of my passed husband or for the widow. They only mean to impress you, so to somehow reach new heights in this masked society.”
My mother’s hands flew to her neck and she clutched at her throat, startled into silence. When she finally opened her mouth, the iron-flecks became stones. “I will not tolerate this, Christine. Either you will come and converse with the fellow mourners, or you will leave, and feign illness for the night.”
I swallowed the words I so craved to utter, and instead, mocked innocence. “I will leave.”
My mother nodded. “Very well. I will tell everyone you are far too overcome with grief. Come, Arabella.”
I watched my mother and sister leave, Arabella’s eyes downcast in perfect daughter form. I waited until they were out of sight before leaving, setting my wineglass down onto the gold-gilded table. Lifting my heavy skirts, I ascended the stairs. With each step taken, my heart grew heavier until I felt like a rock was in place of my beating organ. The corset constricted my breathing, and I slowly grew light-headed. But I pressed on.
Images of my husband filled my mind’s eyes. Of his rustic charm and dazzling smile. I had fallen for those simple traits like a young girl sneaking candies behind her mother’s back. But the danger in those eyes…I had blocked that out, forgetting his past and letting myself be swept up in a whirlwind of romance and passion.
“Now look at me,” I mumbled, shaking myself at how pathetic my life had become.
It seems that all eyes carry secrets. As my father used to tell me: the eyes are the doorways to the soul. How true he was! I should have obeyed him; I should have turned the other cheek at that manic glint in my husband’s eyes instead of falling for his caresses and spoken love tokens.
“All lies, every one of them,” I spoke, my words coated with venom.
At the top of the stairs, I turned down the long, narrow hallway. It was dimly lit the lights having not yet come in. Electricity was all the rage now. I remember when I was little and would read by candlelight. Now, I would read by the light of the lamp that I could flick on with the turn of my wrist.
Wrinkling my nose, I wasn’t sure I liked this new invention. The carpeted floor muffled the sound of my slippers, and I was able to continue on in silence. Letting my gloved hand fall against the wall, I felt the textured, uneven paint from beneath the soft silk material bound to my palm. On one side, portraits of my family lined the wall. Ancestors, young and old, were depicted across a canvass to forever adorn the hall. Between every other portrait were where the new lights would be fitted, holes in the wall for the “bulbs” to come through.
Coming to the end of the long walkway, I turned to my left and entered my room. It was of modest design, and that seemed to irk my mother to no end. Guest normally saw my mother’s taste, full of ostentatious and expensive miscellaneous items. Mine was more of an earthy, relaxing feel. The walls were painted a forest green with a milky white bedspread. The carpet was dark brown, almost black, and silken to the touch. My desk in the corner was of oaken wood, carved from the very tree I used to climb as a child. A time before my mother caught me by the scruff my neck, and forced me into the world of women, gossip, and lust.
I crossed the threshold, and closed the door behind me with a soft click. A warm fire was crackling in the hearth across from me, the effects of a loyal maid. The flames licked eagerly at the grate, fighting away the winter chill.
Turning away from it, I left my room for the door to my left, into which was my powder room. Undressing myself like the expert I have become, I pulled on my silk nightgown, soft lavender in color, and slipped on my wool slippers, something of a rebellious fashion statement to my mother. Then, walking into another room, I entered my own study.
This was the room my whole family loathed me for. It was uncustomary for a woman to learn the arts and literature names of the age. I, however, did not care for what my parents wanted. This was one thing I felt I could never give up. Even my husband did not mind it, and many times I would find him in here, reading the many novels lining the walls. This was a sacred place for us, hidden away from prying eyes.
The room was stuffy from the fire, and I tugged at my neckline as if it was choking me. His presence was here, suffocating me. In the beginning, our marriage had been one of bliss. But after the first year, he felt it was time to show me his real face. Not the gentle man, a lover of literature, he was a ruthless drunk, abusive verbally, and extremely intolerable. In public, he returned to the gentle man he appeared to be, and my parents admired him for it. They thought they had made a good match, one that had suited me.
They had no idea.
“To those that are blind, there is no light,” I mumbled, thinking out loud. My parents were blind to the real nature of those around them. Edward York had been my soul mate, at least to their blind sight. They had turned the other cheek to the malice in his eyes, to the danger lurking just beneath the surface of his demeanor.
And it was I who had paid the price for their lack of judgment.
When I couldn’t take anymore, I deserted the study for the airiness of my room. Burying myself under the mountain of sheets, I clamped my eyes shut against the gloom that pervaded my soul. Had my whole life been a lie, spoken out loud for so long that everyone soon became oblivious to it? It wasn’t that far-fetched, thinking of my parents who wed me to a monster. I was barely beyond the age of seventeen, but I carried the woes of a middle-aged widow.
Rolling onto my back, I shivered, though the room was slowly rising in temperature. My spine was tingling with sensation, and I felt him again, my bed soaked with his damaged soul. My husband had left scars everywhere, and even my bed held his poisoned being.
Pushing him forcefully from my mind, I came again to the thoughts that had driven me from the funeral. My parents, my sister, my older brother…were they all pawns or players in this wild game that was my life? Had they known all along or had they been just as oblivious as I was?
No, they had to know. How could they not? I should have seen it long ago. Wasn’t I the only one with ruby hair, with emerald eyes, with a svelte figure? Father was of dark hair and countenance, as was my older brother. Mother was of blonde locks, as was Arabella.
When I finally came to this conclusion, I rushed to the powder room, retching up the foods I had consumed earlier. Kneeling, trembling, on the wooden floor, I clutched at my temples. Shaking my head, I struggled to come up with something else, some other explanation. But the answer was there, swaying coyly before my closed lids, just waiting for me to snatch it up and take it for what it was.
I wasn’t the daughter of Roy and Samantha Rickmond. I was not the sibling of Captain Andrew and Miss Arabella. I wasn’t Christine Ann Rickmond. But then…
Who was I?
Last edited by ashleylee on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Night Mistress says...

wow.

a very powerful preface. i could feel the turmoil that the character is giving off.

so, this is what i am giving off of this so far. A widow, whose husband has just die, is learning to deal with nasty lies of husband. her parents don't know that he abuse their daughter when they were marry. is that correctly?

i have to admit, i don't read historic without romance in it, but this is interesting. pm me when you have the next piece up.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:39 pm
Angel of Death says...

Hey Ash,

Well I liked this but then again I always love your Historical stories. You have great imagery and your MC is different from what you usually write but there were a few things though minor that really caught my eye.

How could this have happened? How did I not know?

This I think should be italicized.

How could they have lied to me for all these years? Did they have no remorse? No pride?

italicized

Basically it would read nice if all of Cristine's thoughts were italicized.
“Yes, mother, charade. Those people care not for the well fair of my passed husband or for the widow. They only mean to impress you, so to somehow reach new heights in this so-called society.”

This is a lovely sentence but so-called really messed it up for me. Try something a little less modern. Masked society, nominal society....see what I mean?

Images of my husband filled my mind’s eyes. Of his rustic charm and dazzling smile. I had fallen for those simple traits like a young girl for a treat of an ice cream sundae. But the danger in those eyes…I had blocked that out, forgetting his past and letting myself be swept up in a whirlwind of romance and passion.

I adore this quote. It breathes everything I love about historic stories and the way it was written is just lovely 'rustic charm and dazzling smile' You sure have a way of describing things that is breathless but I believe the ice cream sundae was invented in 1892. French foods were more common around the 1880s in London

Electricity was all the craze now.

I think you should say rage instead of 'craze'
Wrinkling my nose, I wasn’t sure I liked this new technology.

Technology is too far fetched maybe invention will do just fine.

Guest normally saw my mother’s taste, full of flashy and expensive miscellaneous items.

The word flashy doesn't work here. Try ostentatious or palatial, those are my two favorite.

This was fantastic, as I knew it would be. I love your work and wow you really come up with great titles. How do you come up with them, if you don't mind me asking? Well anyways, please continue this because it is very good and I am curious as to what is going to happen next.

PM me when you post more!

Hope I helped,
~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:00 am
Merry_Haven says...

This is an experimental piece that I decieded to start. I'm not sure if I should continue or not so honest opinions are needed.

Happy Reading!

**Edited as of Oct. 26**

Oh, oh. This is great! I am so reading this. Gotta love historical fiction. :D

Bile rose unprovoked into my throat, and I clutched feebly at the neckline of my dress. Forcing it down, I gripped tighter to the satin material of my skirt with white-knuckled hands.

Okay, knowing this is the Victorian period, I see that you have vividly described some of the things that a puffed skirt would look like.

Staring into the pool that was my wine, emotions of all varieties filled me until I felt the bile rise again.

Yeah, wine is pretty popular back then. And for any period. Well, maybe just the Victorian period. 'Cause I don't think they drank wine in the Regency period.

My own eyes were dry, something that was abnormal for the wife of a deceased husband.

Okay, so her husband died. Like how? Maybe shot or hung?

I stared long and hard into the eyes that I have known since my birth. They were gray in color, watery with swimming salty droplets. Around the pupils, shots of iron-colored ink dotted the irises, hardening the softer gray that outlined them. Tilting my head, I met my sisters. Same, identical soft gray with iron flecks.

Great descriptions, Ash! Loved the way you described the eyes.

They only mean to impress you, so to somehow reach new heights in this masked society.

People in that era, especially, keep things to themselves and hide everything behind a mask. So masked society is a great way to put the people into.

The corset constricted my breathing, and I slowly grew light-headed.

Yeah, that does happen to the ladies. I just feel sorry for them having them to wear them. You know?

Images of my husband filled my mind’s eyes. Of his rustic charm and dazzling smile. I had fallen for those simple traits like a young girl sneaking candies behind her mother’s back. But the danger in those eyes…I had blocked that out, forgetting his past and letting myself be swept up in a whirlwind of romance and passion.

So let me guess, Christine's husband is a rogue. 'Cause the way you put it makes him like a rogue.
The candy thing is hilarious. If you do continue, make sure you do have the romance and passion.

I should have turn the other cheek at that manic glint in my husband’s eyes instead of falling for his caresses and spoken love tokens.

Yeah, he's definitely a rogue.

A time before my mother caught me by the scruff my neck, and forced me into the world of women, gossip, and lust.

Gossiping mama's. Yes, they're full of them. And lust. Yeah, that somehow sneaks around into those scandalous lives.

Not the gentle man, a lover of literature, he was a ruthless drunk, abusive verbally, and extremely intolerable. In public, he returned to the gentle man he appeared to be, and my parents admired him for it. They thought they had made a good match, one that had suited me.

So he's like a jerk in modern times? Blind. That's all her parents are.

I was not the sibling of Captain Andrew and Miss Arabella
So she's the middle child, huh?

Ash-
Like Bri, I'm only huge for historical fiction if it's historical romance. But I can tell you're going to have it with the life of Christine and Edward. Before and after their marriage.
So I have to ask, we you planning to have Edward as a rogue? Because you make him out to be like that. Which is a good thing, 'cause knowing me, I love those rogues!!
Well, I can tell this has potential as a story. 'Cause I wanna know about Christine when she met Edward. Maybe swooning all over him...
Pm me for chapter one...only if you do continue. Which I hope you do. Bye!
-Merry
~oh, if you have no idea what a rogue is then pm me~
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:09 am
View Likes
Juniper says...

ashleylee wrote:(Before I begin being cruel to you about where you made a slight error, let me congratulate you on portraying the time setting so well! Incredibly done! I could never write historical fiction :P. I love this, and can't wait for you to write more... Now, onto the evil side of me...)

Preface

It was in the dark hours of mourning (this may not be a mistake; was she in mourning or do you mean morning as in daylight?) when realization hit me. It was as if my whole life had been lived in the shadows of the unknown, and I was just now being introduced to the revelation of the day. Bile rose unprovoked into my throat, and I clutched feebly at the neckline of my dress. Forcing it down, I gripped tighter ( how about, "tightened my grip on"? )to the satin material of my skirt with white-knuckled hands. How could this have happened? How did I not know?
Staring into the pool that was my wine (pool of wine? :D ), emotions of all varieties (a variety of emotions )filled me until I felt the bile rise again. How could they have lied to me for all these years? Did they have no remorse? No pride?
Raising my eyes, I met the figures that were my mother and sister ("I raised my eyes to the figures of my mother and sister.). They both smiled sorrowfully at the sight of me, identical eyes swimming with newly fallen tears (Eyes don't really swim, hehe. "Eyes flooded with nearlyfallen tears," OR "Eyes sparkling with newly fallen tears" ). My own eyes were dry, something that was abnormal for the wife of a deceased husband.
“Darling, why exile yourself? Come, converse,” my mother urged, taking a step towards me.
I stared long and hard into the eyes that I have known since my birth. They were gray in color, watery with swimming salty droplets. Around the pupils, shots of iron-colored ink dotted the irises, hardening the softer gray that outlined them. Tilting my head, I met my sisters. Same, identical soft gray with iron flecks. Were these the eyes of the deceivers? Or were they just as oblivious as I was to this whole plot?
“Excuse me, mother, but I don’t think I can withstand the charade,” I replied coolly, unable to succumb to the meek daughter I once was.
“Charade? What’s this?” My mother’s eyes blinked free of the tears in blatant shock while my sister lowered her own, embarrassed for me. This only enraged me further.
“Yes, mother, charade. Those people care not for the well fair (I hate to change dialogue, because it ruins how the character speaks, but try "Well being" in stead of well fair? :) ) of my passed husband or for the widow. They only mean to impress you, so to somehow reach new heights in this masked society.”
My mother clutched at her throat (somehow this is a bit oddish. "My mothers hands flew to her neck and she clutched at her throat"), startled into silence. When she finally opened her mouth, the iron-flecks became stones. “I will not tolerate this, Christine. Either you will come and converse with the fellow mourners, or you will leave, and fake illness for the night.”
I swallowed the words I so craved to utter, and instead, mocked innocence. “I will leave.”
My mother nodded. “Very well. I will tell everyone you are far too overcome with grief. Come, Arabella.”
I watched my mother and sister leave, Arabella’s eyes downcast in perfect daughter form. I waited until they were out of sight before leaving, setting my wineglass down onto the gold-gilded table. Lifting my heavy skirts, I ascended the stairs. With each step taken, my heart grew heavier until I felt like a rock was in place of my beating organ. The corset constricted my breathing, and I slowly grew light-headed. But I pressed on.
“Now look at me,” I mumbled, shaking myself at how pathetic my life had become.
It seems that all eyes carry secrets. As my father used to tell me: the eyes are the doorways to the soul. How true he was (this should be an exclamation "How true he was!" ). I should have obeyed him; I should have turn (turned?) the other cheek at that manic glint in my husband’s eyes instead of falling for his caresses and spoken love tokens.
“All lies, every one of them,” I spoke, my words coated with venom.
At the top of the stairs, I turned down the long, narrow hallway. It was dimly lit the lights haven yet to come in ("Have yet to come in", or "had not yet come in"). Electricity was (becoming? :D )all the rage now. I remember when I was little and would read by candlelight. Now, I would read by the light of the lamp that I could flick on with the turn of my wrist.
Wrinkling my nose, I wasn’t sure I liked this new invention. The carpeted floor muffled the sound of my slippers, and I was able to travel ("continue on"; travel suggests a long walk. ) in silence. Letting my gloved hand fall against the wall, I felt the textured, uneven paint against my skin ( tsk tsk, How is her skin touching when she's wearing a glove? "I felt the textured, uneven paint beneath my glove.). To (on?) one side, portraits of my family lined the wall. Ancestors, young and old, were depicted across a canvass to forever adorn the hall. (After? )Every five portraits or so was an opening for the new lights, holes in the wall for the “bulbs” to come through.
Coming to the end of the long walkway, I turned to my left and entered my room. It was of modest design, something (and that seemed to irk...)that seemed to irk my mother to no end. Guest normally saw my mother’s taste, full of ostentatious and expensive miscellaneous items. Mine was more of an earthy, relaxing feel. My (I think saying "The walls" rather than "my walls" sounds a bit better ) room was painted a forest green with a milky white bedspread. The carpet was dark brown, almost black, and silken (silky!) to the touch. My desk in the corner was of oaken wood, carved from the very tree I used to climb as a child. A time before my mother caught me by the scruff my neck, and forced me into the world of women, gossip, and lust.
I crossed the threshold, and closed the door behind me with a soft click. A warm fire was crackling in the hearth across from me, the effects of a loyal maid. The flames licked (friendly doesn't fit here, try "happily") friendly at the grate, pushing away the chill of winter.
Turning away from it, I left my room for the door to my left, into which was my powder room. Undressing myself like the expert I have become, I pulled on my silk nightgown, soft lavender in color, and slipped on my wool slippers, something of a rebellious fashion statement to my mother. Then, walking into another room, I entered my own study.
This was the room my whole family loathed me for. It was uncustomary for a woman to learn the arts and literature names of the age. I, however, did not care for what my parents wanted. This was one thing I felt I could never give up. Even my husband did not mind it, and many times I would find him in here, reading the many novels lining the walls. This was a sacred place for us, (hidden :D)away from prying eyes.
The room was stuffy from the fire, and I tugged at my neckline as if it was choking me. His presence was here, suffocating me. In the beginning, our marriage had been one of bliss. But after the first year, he felt it was time to show me his real face. Not the gentle man, a lover of literature, he was a ruthless drunk, abusive verbally, and extremely intolerable. In public, he returned to the gentle man he appeared to be, and my parents admired him for it. They thought they had made a good match, one that had suited me.
They had no idea.
“To those that are blind, there is no light,” I mumbled, thinking out loud. My parents were blind to the real nature of those around them. Edward York had been my soul mate, at least to their blind sight. They had turned the other cheek to the malice in his eyes, to the danger lurking just beneath the surface of his demeanor.
And it was I who had paid the price for their lack of judgment.
When I couldn’t take anymore, I deserted the study for the airiness of my room. Burying myself under the mountain of sheets, I clamped my eyes shut against the gloom that pervaded my soul. Had my whole life been a lie, spoken out loud for so long that everyone soon became oblivious to it? It wasn’t that far-fetched, thinking of my parents who wed me to a monster. I was barely beyond the age of seventeen, but I carried the woes of a middle-aged widow.
Rolling onto my back, I shivered, even if (though, not if.) the room was slowly rising in temperature. My spine was tingling with sensation, and I felt him again, my bed soaked with his damaged soul. My husband had left scars everywhere, and even my bed held his poisoned being.
Pushing him forcefully from my mind, I came again to the thoughts that had driven me from the funeral. My parents, my sister, my older brother…were they all pawns or players in this wild game that was my life? Had they known all along or had they been just as oblivious as I was?
No, they had to know. How could they not? I should have seen it long ago. Wasn’t I the only one with ruby hair, with emerald eyes, with a svelte figure? Father was of dark hair and countenance, as was my older brother. Mother was of blonde locks, as was Arabella.
When I finally came to this conclusion, I rushed to the powder room, retching up my foods I had consumed earlier. Kneeling, trembling, on the wooden floor, I clutched at my temples. Shaking my head, I struggled to come up with something else, some other explanation. But the answer was there, swaying coyly before my closed lids, just waiting for me to snatch it up and take it for what it was.
I wasn’t the daughter of Roy and Samantha Rickmond. I was not the sibling of Captain Andrew and Miss Arabella. I wasn’t a Rickmond. I wasn’t Christine Ann Rickmond. But then…
Who was I?

Oh my goodness, I loved it now that I read it closely to dig for mistakes. You made very few, and this would make an excellent novel! I can't wait for you to write more :D. I may have missed a few things, but never mind that! I think it's great as it is! please PM me when you have more!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:15 am
ashleylee says...

Night Mistress:

Yes, you are correct :wink: hehe

Well, I'm glad you like this dispite the romance. I'll PM you when I post more! :D

Thanks so much for reading!

Angel of Death:

Thanks, Angel!

You are sweet, as usual :wink:

I promise to PM you when the first chapter comes up (which I will write :wink:)

Merry_Haven:

Yeah, I PMed you about the whole "rouge" thing :? I think I understood what you were saying but I just did it to clarify :wink:

Thanks so much, Merry, for taking the time to look at this, and yes, I will PM you when I post more, which I will be! :D

springrain2693:

Wow! You corrected so much! :D :D :D

Thank you! I will get to correcting soon!

And I'm glad you like it! I'll PM you when I post again!

Again, thanks so much!
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:28 pm
KJ says...

It was in the dark hours of mourning when realization hit me.

I know your MC is in mourning, but don't you mean morning?

“Yes, mother, charade. Those people care not for the well being of my passed husband or for the widow. They only mean to impress you, so to somehow reach new heights in this masked society.”

I would cut so.

“I will not tolerate this, Christine. Either you will come and converse with the fellow mourners, or you will leave, and fake illness for the night.”

So far you've had your characters speak really formally. You broke the flow with fake. I would do this: "Either you come speak to our guests, or leave, and feign illness for the night."

I didn't like how both Christine and her mother clutched at their necks when they were upset. Too repetitive.

And... I basically skimmed the rest. I lost interest, sorry :( Didn't mean to, honest. It's just... the rest was tell, tell, tell. Nothing happened, and it was all how Christine was so sad and angry. I mean, it's good you're giving us information right away - but mayeb you could liven things up a bit by giving us a memory of her husband or something, so we actually care that he's dead, you know?

Anywho. Got to go. Love ya, and I hope this review doesn't get you down...

Your best friend,

Kelsey (a.k.a. KJ. WHAT? Everyone knows now anyway, thanks to your BLOG :roll: )

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:34 pm
happy-go-lucky says...

Hey Ash!

Oh! I like it *gives gold star* :P

Now on with the review:

With each step taken, my heart grew heavier until I felt like a rock was in place of my beating organ.

Instead of "my beating organ" try something like...like....*thinks*...ok can't think of anything now but definitely something metaphorical to do with love and emotion being destroyed :P. The word "organ" just doesn't seem to show what the heart is supposedly meant to symbolise.

I had fallen for those simple traits like a young girl sneaking candies behind her mother’s back.

Maybe it's just because I'm a Brit that I picked up on this....but in England (especially around that period of time) they wouldn't have called them "candies". They're "sweets" in England...but for the purposes of historical fiction try "sweetmeats".

Hope I've been of some help!

happy-go-lucky
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee