z

Young Writers Society

Prologue to Miriam (not yet posted) part 1

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:39 am
NewWriter says...

“Little girl, would you lend your brother to me for a few minutes?”

The gentle voice startled ten-year-old Miriam and interrupted her thoughts, which mostly consisted of how long it would take her and her little brother Ezra to reach the front of the water-line. Who would have guessed that there would be a new teacher in the village square and the line for the well would be so long?

“Me, sir?” Miriam was surprised that he would speak to her, a young girl, when there were more important people about him. Holding her brother by one hand and her water jug in the other, Miriam turned to face the teacher. He was a young-looking man, clean-shaven with brown hair streaked by the strong summer sun. He had a kind face and warm golden-brown eyes, which at the moment held a slightly amused expression.

“Yes, you,” he said playfully, smiling at her. “I need a small child for my lesson. Would you consider loaning me your brother? I’ll return him when you are finished filling your jug.”

Head tilted on one side, Miriam considered this for a moment. Her mother had always told her not to trust strangers, especially now that Ezra was mostly blind. But this man was somehow different. His eyes seemed compassionate and honest, but she supposed that with practice even a criminal could make his eyes show an expression contradictory to his character. No matter, Miriam told herself decisively. Even if he isn’t good, which I doubt very much, he couldn’t possibly do anything to Ezra with this many people around.

With a sudden boldness she asked the teacher, “Who are you, sir?”

His smile grew. “Not many girls would be brave enough to ask that.” Miriam blushed. He continued, “My name is Joshua.”

Miriam eyed him thoughtfully despite her decision. “Could you—can he—may Ezra sit on your lap? He’s usually more calm than when he’s being held.” She felt distinctly self-conscious making this request of the teacher, but she knew from past experience that Ezra would protest loudly if uncomfortable. After all, he was only three years old.

“Of course,” replied Joshua, not at all put out by the question. The tension left Miriam. With great care she set down her jug and led Ezra over to Joshua. The little boy toddled along fully content with this new and completely unexpected turn of events. Some women in the crowd chuckled.

“Here, Ezra, you just sit on this nice man’s lap and I’ll be back soon.” Miriam carefully handed the little boy over to Joshua and was rewarded with another smile.

“Thank you very much, Miriam.”

The girl started. She hadn’t told him her name. Then she shrugged. Miriam was a common name in her town. Lucky guess. She picked up her jug and headed back to the line. A kind teenager named Lydia had saved Miriam’s spot for her. “Thank you,” Miriam whispered gratefully to Lydia as the younger girl took her place once more.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:25 am
NewWriter says...

Oops! Posted this in the wrong place. Am reposting in "other fiction."

Brain freezes are temporary, but milkshakes are forever.
— SilverNight