Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave:
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their creations lie!
-Robert Louis Stevenson, "To the Hesitating Purchaser"

Part One

Margo: The Beginning

Something was not right. From the moment Margo woke that morning an incessant nagging, a fly in the back of her mind, reminded her of the queerness of it, and it made her uneasy. Very uneasy. She would be engaged in the most inane task, like brushing her teeth, and it would sneak in passed her mental walls, and into her recent recognition.

She took a shower, dressed, made coffee, and packed her lunch – and still there was that feeling, a feeling of something gone awry; but it was subtle and she brushed it away each time like an annoying bug.

She finished getting dressed, and drove to work listening to NPR on the radio, and still she fought the urge to swat the bug.

Work, though, took her mind off of that peculiar feeling as she delved into it with vigor, ignoring the incessant chatter of her fellow co-workers as they griped about this—gaped about that.

But as soon as the big hand was on the twelve and the little hand was on the 15, the geometric stance that signaled her lunch break, the bug was back.

If Margo had any sense to listen to her own intuition, she would have been on her guard, but as it was she was not.

Margo plopped down onto the bench. It had been a tiring day, and this was just her lunch break. Eager to eat, she reached into her backpack to retrieve her sandwich and thermos full of green tea. Nibbling on the cheese from her sandwich, and then taking a swig of her tea, she watched as a familiar looking dog ran passed. Searching for the sign of an owner, she found no one. The park was empty except for her, and the departing dog. He seemed to be trailing a scent. Stuffing her things in her backpack, she followed the golden retriever as it disappeared into the trees.

As Margo entered the forested park of the park, she caught a glimpse of the dog’s brilliant golden tail and ran after it. Weaving in and out of the shrubbery, the dog finally stopped. Margo heaved a sigh and jogged towards the dog.

The dog was ferreting for something, nose in a pile of dead leaves, and Margo crouched near the dog.

“Come here, honey, let’s see who you belong to.” She reached towards the dog’s nose, and when he sniffed it and did not balk, she went for his collar. When she did that, the dog shoved its cold nose towards her. There was no identification on the dog, not even an identification tag.

Margo looked down to grab the dog, which had gone back to the leaves. Red, her arm where the dog and pressed it’s nose was smear red, the shade of blood, and it was wet and sticky to the touch. Margo frantically grabbed the dog’s head, and swung it around, so she could see its nose. Her augury was correct it was blood. The nose and even the paws of the dog were soaked in blood. On closer inspection so were the leaves; the brittle sable-brown and yellow were burnished blood red. Margo pushed the dog away, and frantically searched the leaves for the source of the blood.

When her fingers met something slippery wet, Margo jerked them back. Upon inspection of those fingers, she found they were red too. More blood.

After pushing the leaves away, she twisted away from the scene and lost her lunch. The bile was still green in her mouth when she turned back.

There laying in the grass and shrubbery was an arm.

Margo palms flat on her knees, her head and torso bent towards the ground, she tried to keep her breathing steady, all the while, thinking: this is so not my day.

When Margo found her head again, she searched for her cell phone to call emergency; after all she was a practical woman. Where there is smoke, there is fire Or more pertinently, where there is an arm there is a body.

But when she tried to call, her cell beeped at her no reception, and again, the thoughts ran through her head: this is so not my day.

Standing there in the grove, surrounded by trees and leaves, that imbrued cleaved arm, with no service cell phone, Margo felt her body go numb with the shock of it.

The dog was back, and when it started for the arm, Margo snapped out of her daze, and grabbed at the dog.

She slipped, and braced herself before she hit the ground.

But she didn’t. She was in free fall.

Margo forced her eyes open, and just before she hit water, the words went through her head: this is so not my day.
Last edited by Caligula's Launderette on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:52 am
writergirl007 says...

It's good. Kind of interesting. A little confusing in the middle. When she meats the dog, I do believe. I don't understand how it ties into historical fiction, but I suppose that is my excuse to see the finished work. I liked the beginning. Starting it with a quote is a marvelous idea. I might actually steal that from you. :lol: Just kidding. But honestly, it's really good. Write more so I can understand the rest of the story! Writergirl
"It is better to save than to destroy, and that justice is most righteous which is tempered by mercy." Mark Twain

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:51 pm
Firestarter says...

OMG POST-AGE!

Hehe, anyway. I enjoyed it as a beginning. It probably could be expanded to build the tension somewhat (it all seems a little rushed, like you really couldn't be bothered writing anything else except about the dog and the arm).

A few tiny little things:

Her augury was correct it was blood

Colon needed = "Her augury was correct: it was blood."

Where there is smoke, there is fire Or more pertinently, where there is an arm there is a body.

Just a full-stop missing here.

I loved the repetition of "this is so not my day". Really brought out the character of Margo even in this short first part.

I'm better off than the previous poster since I know how this relates to historical fiction, and can't wait for all the Royal Navy shizzle. Post more!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:03 pm
Swires says...

Something was not right. From the moment Margo woke that morning an incessant nagging, a fly in the back of her mind, reminded her of the queerness of it, and it made her uneasy.

Long sentence. - you may want to consider breaking this apart a little. Also perhaps "reminding" as a present participle may read better regardless of grammatic correctness.

Very uneasy. She would be engaged in the most inane task, like brushing her teeth, and it would sneak in passed her mental walls, and into her recent recognition.

Again a long sentence - consider breaking it up OR using the good ol' semi colon. I dislike the similie, "brushing her teeth" doesnt really add anything for me.
She took a shower, dressed, made coffee, and packed her lunch – and still there was that feeling, a feeling of something gone awry; but it was subtle and she brushed it away each time like an annoying bug.

Nice extended simiphor (similie and metaphor combined - my own invention lol) - I like the bug/fly thing going on.

Work, though, took her mind off of that peculiar feeling as she delved into it with vigor, ignoring the incessant chatter of her fellow co-workers as they griped about this—gaped about that.

Not sure if "gaped" gives the right impression, I dislike the word in this context.

Margo plopped down onto the bench. It had been a tiring day, and this was just her lunch break. Eager to eat, she reached into her backpack to retrieve her sandwich and thermos full of green tea. Nibbling on the cheese from her sandwich, and then taking a swig of her tea, she watched as a familiar looking dog ran passed.

reads better if - "she watched a familiar looking dog run past"

I think it is the past with a t, not sure though.

Searching for the sign of an owner, she found no one.

A little cluttery. It isnt really "the sign" its more of "a sign" or "any sign". Savvy?

As Margo entered the forested park of the park,

part not "park of the park" ?
Her augury was correct it was blood.

Split this up: "Her augury was correct. It was blood."

ALso I dislike "augury" here, its too complicated for the piece.

Standing there in the grove, surrounded by trees and leaves, that imbrued cleaved arm, with no service cell phone, Margo felt her body go numb with the shock of it.

"Imbrued" ???

Ok, some points to consider:

:arrow: You start off with the nagging feeling - what relevance is this to the actual story?

:arrow: Why does she follow the dog, it all seems a bit coincidental.

:arrow: I dont like how teh character responds to the arm, maybe you could describe it a little more using sense? Was she cold? What did she smell? I also believe that she would have acted differently when vblood was spilt on her.

:arrow: I too am a little curious to how this fits in with history? This could be posted in other and still be reviewed.

:arrow: As Jack said, maybe a little rushed, you dash through the story after the beginning. You set a good pace and rushed the rest.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:11 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Guess, who got down and dirty and edited?

ME!

Thank you all for your lovely comments and crits. And, yes, I've extended the beginning, and added more about the arm and Margo's reaction. She follows the dog because it looks just like her grandmother's dog, Cheyenne, I think I explain that somewheres.

And, oh, Jack has the inside scoop of why this is truly historical fiction. But it is, trust me. I suppose I could put it in other, but then it would just confuse people when I put the rest of the mini-parts in Historical Fiction.

I'll do my best at posting more, as I do to love the Royal Navy shizzle.

:D

I'll have the next draft of the beginning up soon, after I input everything into the computer.

Thanks,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 am
Shriek says...

Hm. Well, not sure if I'm taking a look at the most recent edit or the first draft, so I will just make general comments:

The beginning was fantastic -- what a hook! The entire story was well written, and there was a humorous undercurrent that I appreciated very much. If not for all the typos, I would have enjoyed it more.

My suggestion for this section of your piece would be to give your Margo a voice. She only speaks one time in the course of this chapter (other than her thoughts.) And, yes, she's thrown up but wouldn't an "Oh, my God!" be appropriate too? Some denial ("This isn't happening, this isn't happening.") or some thinking aloud ("Okay, just found a dead body, what now?") would be nice too. Think about what you would do in the instance that you found a body -- make it real. In addition, speaking would certainly give us insight into her character. Unless she is a mute, of course.

Also, a location would be nice.

Margo plopped down onto the bench.

What bench? Where?

Character development would be a great addition. On the whole, good work, and good luck.

Lyndsey
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:01 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hey Lynds,

Thanks for the loverly comments et al, yeah this is a early draft: go here for something more recent. Plus, there are more chapters posted.

:D

Thanks,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White