Young Writers Society

Silhouettes - Chapter 2

Reviews: 4
Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 pm
View Likes
Seshat says...

Chapter Two
Men In Black

At the crack of dawn all kinds of men showed up at our house, dressed in the same black uniform. Creepy looking but I'm grateful for them. It would have taken me time we don't have to install all this stuff. Then it hits me, all the strange guys are in my house and I'm wearing Pj's!

My pajamas consist of, shorts and a tank top with thigh high striped socks and a slept in ponytail. These poor fellows! I dash up the stairs and grab some jeans, a Dr. Seuss T-shirt, normal socks, and go into my bathroom. After I change I wash my face, tame my hair into a side ponytail, brush my teeth, etc. Then I rejoin the rest of the world, hoping I haven't scarred them too badly.

While the bustle all around the house with screws and large metal chunks, I go into the kitchen where I find three more guys in black. I heat up some left over pizza and watch them work in silence. At 3 O'clock they have finished half and say they are going to call it a day and will return tomorrow morning.

Momma offers to pay them if they'll finish it all up today as fast as possible. Of course they agree. I sit and watch and wait and sigh and turn on the television. Psych, Shawn Spencer is perfect to pass the time to. The sun sets and the guys finish up, its six O’clock now and I hear momma calling me so they can teach us how to work everything.

They drag it on forever and ever; we all know how to place your thumb on a scanner to run your print, and how to use a keypad. On the outside of the door is a thumb scanner, if approved by thumb, a keypad opens, after typing in the correct code you can put the key into the door and open it. On the other side a 60 second beeper starts, you scan your whole hand this time and type in a different key code during this 60 seconds or it calls the cops.

They are about 20 minute’s response. I say that is truly sad, but with all this equipment and creatures who don't exist coming after us we shouldn't need the police anyway. Tomorrow we have hired people who try to break into your house to see how tight your security is, then adjustments will be made and we should be set.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention, instead of trash bags on the windows we have proper black out equipment! Much more reliable, I'm feeling pretty confident. We have video coverage of ever room. Including the bathroom, or at least over the bathroom door. Hidden flashlights, lamps, and extra bulbs are in every room. We have intruder alert systems all over the place. Now the sun has set and we have high hopes.

I walk over to momma, "How are we going to sleep tonight?"
"I would let you sleep tonight and stay up to watch, but dear I say it, I'm too old to stay awake that long. We will have to take shifts, but listen to me Arabella!" She says, with one eye brow raised. It's her I'm serious face.
"You will wake me if you see anything! Even if you just think you saw it, wake me up. Period. I'll take first shift tonight; go entertain yourself until I call you back." She orders me.

Wow, this has really gotten her worried. I walk out of the living room with my laptop; she definitely needs some 'me time.' I get on chat, clicking Lissie's name. I explain to her what happened without telling her about the existence of the Silhouettes. Don't ask how I got this done.

By now I really, really need some food. I think I'm going to risk a trip through the living room, where momma is, and into the kitchen. I get up and walk through quietly, she doesn't even look at me. I keep going into the kitchen and open the fridge, it's pretty bare. I'll settle for a turkey and cheese tortilla, after putting it together I slide my dinner into the microwave and wait. 30 seconds later it beeps, I grab a glass of tea of my back to my room to eat.

Passing Momma, I keep my focus on my door, again she ignores my existence. I finish off my yummy tortilla and sip my tea while I get on Young Writers Society, posting a story I put together this morning while I was waiting. It's about a young woman who encounters these creatures, she runs from them but in the end figures out they will always catch up to her. The only solution is elimination. It was fun to write and it gave me several ideas to try out on the Silhouettes, momma would murder me. So we just won't tell her.

"Arabella, come here please!" I hear, from down the hall.
"Coming!" I say, hopping to my feet and taking my empty glass with me to put in the sink.
"Now, we are going to be sleeping here in the living room. Get your sleeping bag and all the pillows we have."
"Okay." I reply, scurrying off to complete my errand. I bring everything into the living room and put it on the floor, feeling a little like a servant.

“Would you like me to take the first shift?” I ask her, hoping she’ll say yes and get some sleep.
“Yes, thank you, I will be on the couch, keep quiet and remember to wake me at the sight and sound of anything!”

One word keeps coming to mind, caput! It’s my first time being a watchdog; I think it’s off to a pretty good start. Opening my laptop and clicking iTunes, I play Hot Chelle Rae’s Tonight, Tonight in one ear so I can listen with the other. I hear a couple of creaks and cracks throughout the night but I investigate each one with a large, but manageable stick only to see that they are raccoons outside and tree branches in the wind. I did not wake Momma up, in fact I moved to the opposite side of the room and hoped I didn’t disturb her; the most import thing to me was getting her some good, mood improving, and stress lowering rest.
I'd rather Waltz
Than just Walk
Through the Forest,
The Trees keep the Tempo
As they sway in Time!

"Evil guys get all the cool clothes."
~Isis Hawthorne

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 pm
LadySpark says...

I'll review this later Bells.