Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:53 pm
ammu2003 says...

THE HAUNTED TOPIARY
By: Amritha Selvarajaguru,

FICTION (… or is it?)

PROLOGUE
In 1944, a girl named Victoria Ardeil walked the halls of Mount Pleasant high. Then, on the 6th week of school, she disappeared. No one knows what happened to her.
On that very day, 15 years later…

CHAPTER 1
POW! “Ouch!” yelped Grinda, “that really hurt!”

It was only the 6th week of school and she was already getting bullied. Grinda ran out of the room, angry tears leaking from her eyes. She ran to the nurse’s office. “Ow!” Grinda whined. Her nose hurt so much! When the nurse saw here, she told Grinda to wash off in the girl’s room. When Grinda looked into the mirror, she saw that her nose was bleeding furiously.

Fshhh… “hahh” Grinda welcomed the cool water on her nose. She turned off the tap and straightened up. She gasped! In the mirror, she saw an unfamiliar face. The girl she saw was as white as snow, and as skinny as a needle; she was sobbing, too. Grinda closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and counted to ten. When she opened her eyes again, she thankfully saw only her own reflection. “I can’t believe this place used to be a high school! It should still be one! The kids here are rowdy enough to be high-schoolers!”

CHAPTER 2

The sun had risen and fallen five times since Grinda had seen the figure in the mirror. “Oh, I’m bored”, Grinda groaned. “Oh, wait! I remember, we have a family tree! I’ll go look at it perhaps.” Grinda peered at the wall carefully. “Oh, oh my”, she said. Grinda stared in horror as she realized it was a figure in the mirror that she had seen at school five days and five nights before. “She’s related to me!”, Grinda gasped and fainted.

The next day at school, Grinda went to the girl’s room. On the way, she looked out at the topiary. They were tearing it down, for some dumb construction thing. She peered in the girl’s room mirror.
“How do I contact you?”, she thought desperately. “Vicky?” she whispered, “oh, um… oh, Victoria!” Then with a fast lurching movement, she lost her balance and tipped into the mirror. Grinda waited for the crash, but it did not come. “wow” she gasped. An image of the pale, dark-haired girl appeared. She was quite startling at first, but turned to be quite beautiful.

CHAPTER 3

Grinda was rather stunned by the figure’s beauty. She strained her ears to hear the girl speaking. The girl’s chocolate brown hair whipped back and forth as she tried to explain. Seeing that Grinda can’t hear her, she pointed to a banner that said: THE WORLD OF FLASHBACKS

Grinda realized that the girl in the front of her was Victoria. Victoria took Grinda by the hand and took her past the banner. Then, Vicky screamed. Grinda could hear her this time. Vicky was stuck in the topiary for good. She yanked on the door; it was locked. Vicky started to panic. Grinda watched in horror as the stars in the night sky rose and fell 100 times. And Vicky was dead. Her body lay motionless. Grinda kneeled beside Vicky’s body. She turned to see Victoria the ghost staring at her with solemn Caribbean blue eyes. She took Grinda by the hand led her to the real world. Grinda emerged from the mirror. On the way down, she looked at the topiary. “Oh dear!” she screeched “Vicky’s ghost will be vanished! I must save her!”

But how...?

CHAPTER 4

"I hope the library has something to do with releasing souls! Whups!” Grinda was in the library, when she bumped into someone.

“Sorry! I’m so sorry! You okay? Sorry!”

“Hi” said the other girl, “My name is Heather. And it’s all right . I’m the volunteer to help in the library. Do you need any help?”

“YES!!!” yelped Grinda very fast, “ I need help to find a friend to help me help them help me! What?” This confused Heather. “Calm down! Calm down! I’ll help you!” she said.

They wandered deep into the library. “What are you looking for?” asked Heather. “Oh, follow me! Let’s find our way to the middle of the library, I’ll tell you what we are looking for and then we will split up.”

1 hour later…

“Okay, we’re lost” said Heather.

“Wait”, said Grinda. “I need to find that book that will tell me how to let a soul come back alive!” Then, Grinda explained about Vicky.

Then, a voice whispered in Grinda’s ear. “Yes?” said Vicky. “Oh!” yelped the girls, “gosh, Vikcy! You didn’t have to do that, did ya?” said Grinda, unmistakable joy in her voice. Vicky could help them find the book!
Heather screamed, turned, and ran. “NO!!!” screeched Grinda, and ran after her, feet pounding the floor. Vicky glided smoothly and quickly after her. And Heather had vanished into the darkness. All hope was gone. Grinda heard grunting behind her. Vicky was gritting her teeth, and clenching her fists. She relaxed, as her ghostly light became blinding. “Good, let’s go!” said Grinda, relieved.

Another hour later…

They found Heather in one of the corners. “I was frightened” she said, shivering. “I’m so sorry. That’s all I can say. I’m sorry” said Vicky. “Here” said Grinda, holding out her sweater. “It’ll keep you warm.” Then Vicky said, “Come on, let’s get you guys home. That’s enough for today. Look, Heather can barely stand up…”
Later….

“You sure this is the right way?” asked Heather. She had healed from her shock now, and was looking forward to gettin’ out of there! “I’m not sure!” said a worried Vicky. “Gulp”

CHAPTER 5

Vicky led the girls by a random twisted direction. “Look!” said Grinda, “a light!” She dashed to the light to find a hidden door. She swung it open; inside was a mess. Shelves and shelves of yucky old books! And at the front desk was a skeleton! He was crouched low over a book titled: How to release a soul. “You don’t need this anymore!” said Grinda, and she yanked away the book. She turned, and something clenched the back of her neck! The skeleton had come alive! His red eyes blazed with fury. “Who stole my book?!” he said, “you stole my book!” Grinda pulled and pulled away from his grasp. But the skeleton had a firm grip. Grinda fought for breath. She tried to kick him, but her kicks grew weaker and weaker. Soon, she let out a thunderous wail, and hung limp. She fell unconscious, but I’ll tell you what she missed.

Heather had hauled herself into the skeleton, sending him erupting into a vast pile of bones. She let Vicky hold the book, picked up Grinda, and ran straight out of there! Soon they found their way out of the library, and dashed to the school topiary. Grinda had woken up, and was eager to free Victoria. As she read the instructions, the sun began to fade, and so did Vicky.

CHAPTER 6

“Hang on Vicky!” said Grinda, “I know what to do! Look, your old bones, I dug them up!”

“Hurry!” said Vicky, “I’m mere shadow!”

“Oh, Vicky! Lay on your bones!” said Grinda, “A stone, a stick, blood from a friend,” she let Heather cut herself, “A piece of flesh from the relative” She cut off a bit of her own finger, and winced.

“Hmmm…” Grinda hummed tunelessly as Vicky became flame. Then, a high school Vicky stood before her. “Thank you, Heather, Grinda.” She planted a kiss on top of each girls’ head. From that day on, a human Vicky and Grinda lived together.

EPILOGUE

“Grinda,” said Vicky, one cold morning. “I have to go to school. They won’t let me come home until summer. I have to leave.”

“Oh, Vicky!” whined Heather.

“All right” said Grinda, “but come back for the holidays”

“I will”, replied Vicky, “Don’t worry. Bye!”

“Bye”

“Don’t worry”, said Heather, soothingly, “she’ll be fine”

“Don’t I know it”, said Grinda. She touched her finger with the missing chunk in it. All those distant memories flooded
her mind with joy and curiosity…

Random avatar

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:17 pm
rushy90 says...

Nice Story you got there.
It's so good it could give you the chillls

From
Rushy90

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:12 pm
RNDMGAMRUK says...

Very, very good story here... you can really get lost in the story.

Overall this is a very good story and you are a very talented writer.
Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:45 am
davidechoe13 says...

It's a good story but it needs to be longer it could be made into a very suspenseful mystery novel. the shortness of it doesn't do the story justice.
Think of the vastness of a story, What happens when the main character is not around?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:50 pm
HeadAssassin says...

It sounded good for a mystery, but, and I hate to say this mate but it was rushed and it lacked a whole lot of detail, I feel that you can make it so much longer and add so much more to it. I don't want to sound mean, but it just seemed really lacking. You could do so much more to it. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of nice things to say mate.
Assassins Never Die

What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music.
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian