z

Young Writers Society

Seed Chapter 3 Part 1

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:41 pm
Hecate says...

I sincerely hope you give this a shot even though you haven't read the previous chapters. I've included a summary, which should help you get an overall idea of the story. Thanks in advance for any reviews! :)

Summary
Spoiler! :
Summary of Chapter 1: In the previous chapter, it becomes obvious that Cordelia is suffering from nightmares about her ancestors, the Cots. They were the first to inhabit this island, and are therefore one of the founding families. Apart from that, we find out that some of Cordelia's friends, including Harper, her best friend have vanished under strange circumstances. Her mother is suffering from a nervous disorder and wants to see her daughter gone from the island so she's not taken to that 'demonic' place.

Chapter 2 until now: A ball is held in Cordelia's mansion, as it is each year. We found out more about Cordelia's character through the preparations. she descends the staircase and catches a glimpse of a pair of piercing gray eyes. Then, she's introduced to the boy who those eyes belong to- Caeden Valour. He acts mysteriosly and asks her to follow him, which she agrees to do as he knows a lot about her and she's convinced he can help her. The chapter ends with him giving her the necklace she saw in her nightmares and her blacking out.

Chapter 3
When I finally opened my eyes, I almost wished I hadn’t. That was it. I too had been taken like the rest. I was in a completely unfamiliar place. It was what appeared to be the inside of a hut made of hay. I was actually lying on hay, save for the fact that there was a rough cloth spread over it. In the middle of the hut, unlike a fire place which I had expected, I found a hammock. And that was as far as my eyes could see. But it was enough, because inside the hammock Caeden Valour was asleep. Perhaps this was my only chance of escape.
I quickly got to my feet, realizing I still wore my ball gown. Not the most discrete attire, I had to admit. But I had no choice in the matter. I walked toward the hut’s opening, and exited easily. I was almost surprised at how effortless it all was. Of course, I should have realized it then. It would not be that easy to get away. I could not just walk out and leave. And as I saw the nothingness surrounding me, I realized that if I left now, I could never make it home. A vast field was stretching in every direction, the hut appeared to be in the middle of it. In the middle of nowhere, to be precise. This was not Cot Island. I did not recognize this place. There was something strange in the air, something almost unearthly. It smelled differently. Strange. It smelled of danger.
‘Going somewhere, princess?’ Someone said behind my back. I turned around and looked at Caeden. Really looked at him for the first time. Concentrated on something else rather than those horrible grey eyes, that were as terrifying as beautiful. He was sure not your typical boy band guy. He was tough. He had the body of a warrior, with large, muscled hands and a square frame. He was tall too, towering over me by at least half a foot. He had dark brown hair in bad need of a haircut, sticking out messily in every direction. And those grey eyes.
‘You do know that kidnapping someone constitutes a crime.’ I said.
‘I hardly kidnapped you, considering your own father had this arranged.’
Why was it that every time he spoke, he left me speechless? He just blurted out shocking truths, making me unable to come up with a reply.
‘Won’t you tell me what’s going on?’ I said.
‘You have to save us.’ He said. For the first time he looked weak, pleading.
Now, I was really lost.
‘Save you from what? And who is us?’
‘Perhaps you haven’t noticed Cordelia, but you’re not on Cot Island anymore.’
‘Oh, I have noticed, thank you very much.’ I said, sarcasm dripping from my voice.
‘Well, you’re not on Earth, either.’ He said.
I blinked.
‘Okay.’ I said. ‘That’s great.’ I knew that when in a dangerous situation, one had to remain calm. Panic was not an option. Obviously, this Caeden boy wasn’t all there. Perhaps if I humored him he would be discouraged from using violence.
‘Okay, Caeden. Where are we?’ I asked.
He smirked.
‘You don’t believe me, do you?’
‘I do.’ I said quickly. I wonder if he had any idea how quickly my heart was beating at that very second. Or how I’d started sweating under the suddenly itchy material of my dress. Keep calm. Keep calm. Keep calm.‘Look behind you.’ He said, bored.
I did. I stood in shock for quite a few minutes as I watched the action unfold before my eyes. In front of our hut, a pretty butterfly was flying around. At first, I thought Caeden was joking, but then I noticed something strange. The butterfly distorted its shape becoming thinner and longer, until it just appeared to be a gleam of light, save for the slight fluttering on the sides- a reminiscent of the wings. Soon, it began to take new shape, that of a human. A thin woman emerged, entirely white with the exception of her black pupils; I looked at her in awe.
‘Hello, Seed.’ She said. Her voice was different to anything I had ever heard.
I didn’t speak. I was afraid I’d scream if I opened my mouth.
‘We have waited eons for your arrival.’
This was just my imagination.
‘You know what, if I really wasn’t on Earth, you wouldn’t be speaking English.’
‘Well, that is what you’re here to fix. See, we have been enslaved by someone from your planet. Someone who has tried to wipe out our heritage and has taught us your language, in an effort to make us pleasing to him. You must destroy him.’
I could not believe this was happening.
‘Don’t worry, Cordelia.’ Caeden said. ‘I’ll help.’
‘This is too much.’ I said, falling to my knees and burying my head in my hands. I was still wearing the ball gown. It was a sad reminder of my ignorant existence. Ignorance is bliss. How very true.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Stela, Stella here! (haha!) Here to review, and this looks really interesting! Firstly though- might be an idea to space out your paragraphs? Blocks of text on screen hurt my eyes...

I. NITPICKS

It was what appeared to be the inside of a hut made of hay. I was actually lying on hay, save for the fact that there was a rough cloth spread over it. In the middle of the hut, unlike a fire place which I had expected, I found a hammock.

I'm sure you're familiar with show-and-tell. How does she know it's a hut? It could be a room within a larger building? Is it brightly lit enough to see that the walls are definitely made of hay? Does she feel the hay underneath the cloth?

Not the most discrete attire, I had to admit.

In this case, discreet.

‘Going somewhere, princess?’ Someone said behind my back.

someone

II. OVERALL

Firstly, I think you should check out this article that'll outline the ins and outs of dialogue punctuation. It's a little confusing but once you get the hang of it your work really does benefit from it :)

After that, again, show-and-tell is a good piece of advice for a piece like this. Cordelia wakes up in a strange place. Her first thoughts are going to be the old clichés of where-am-I-how-did-I-get-here-how-long-have-I-been-asleep. After that she'll begin to take in her surroundings. I think you need to work on showing us the world through her eyes more.

Other than that, lovely concept and I liked her, "You're speaking English" comment because that's exactly what I would think!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:49 pm
Chirantha says...

Hey there Stela,

I meant to review this sooner but life got a bit busy. But anyways, here I am.

Hmm, the plot is getting even more complex and interesting. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it sure looks like it's on a great path. Although I was definitely not expecting the plot to turn out this way. So you can imagine my surprise when you wrote this,

‘Well, you’re not on Earth, either.’ He said.

:D Because, just like Caeden is manages to make Cordelia speechless every time he spoke, you make me speechless every time you write another chapter. That's an important skill in writing, because surprise is a great way to keep the reader's interest up.

Mistakes

Not the most discrete attire, I had to admit. But I had no choice in the matter.

Should be "Not the most discrete attire, I had to admit, but I had no choice in the matter."

Really looked at him for the first time. Concentrated on something else rather than those horrible grey eyes,

Correct this as, "Really looked at him for the first time, concentrating on something other than those horrible grey eyes,"

Plot

Well, you pretty much gave away the plot from this line,

‘Well, that is what you’re here to fix. See, we have been enslaved by someone from your planet. Someone who has tried to wipe out our heritage and has taught us your language, in an effort to make us pleasing to him. You must destroy him.’

So, unless you plan to deviate from this and recreate this, the story will not seem surprising or interesting. It'll be like watching the movie of a book you've read. So, It would be really good if do not go along with that plot, at least partially, so as to make it both interesting and unexpected.

Also, another this I've to point out is the fact that the people who have disappeared, according to this chapter, were enslaved and trapped in this strange world. But Caeden was able to go to Earth and bring Cordelia into the world. How is it that he can go out this world, when the rest of the people trapped there can't?

And you mentioned that Cordelia's father arranged this. If he knew about all this, who is he, and what is his role in the story. Also, why did he make Cordelia believe that her mother was crazy or delusional when in fact, if he actually arranged this, he knew his wife's words were true? So, I'm kinda confused here.

Descriptions

I'd say this chapter badly needs some descriptions. Because from the moment the chapter started, I could not imagine one single image of the story. The only image I was able to imagine was the hut in the middle of nowhere, and that was only because I've watched a horror movie with the exact scenario. :D Descriptions is the path that really connects the readers to the story and without them the story is sunk. So, building that path may take more words, more time, and may look needless, but they all are for the greater good of the story.

I'm not going to point out individual places in need of descriptions, because I'd have to re-write the entire story then. But I can point out this,

When I finally opened my eyes, I almost wished I hadn’t. That was it. I too had been taken like the rest. I was in a completely unfamiliar place.

Normally, when a person wakes up from unconsciousness, they generally don't take in everything they see at once. Well, don't take in anything at all, because the memory of what he or she saw right before falling unconscious is retained in the brain. So, the first question that comes to a person's mind is "Where I am?" I know that this is extremely cliched, but it's the realistic way. So, start the description from within the character it self, then slowly work it's way out of the character and into the environment seen by the character's eyes.

Character Descriptions

Now, for some reason I actually can't form a mental picture of the women who materialized in front of Cordelia. Hmm, why would that be. Oh I get it, there's a severe lack of descriptions. ;) Just read this sentence, and tell me if you, yourself can imagine the women if read only this sentence.

A thin woman emerged, entirely white with the exception of her black pupils; I looked at her in awe.

I'm not sure if this is Adelaide Cot, but if it is, it'll still be better to give her a description. Now, you could add the things Cordelia see when she gazes at her in awe, because without imagining the character, it's quite hard to imagine him/her saying something.

Overall

It was a rather small chapter, but the plot is interesting enough, so I will read the next chapters as well... when they come out.

Good luck :D

- C -
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu