z

Young Writers Society

Escaping Darkness 2

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:42 am
Soulkana says...

Chapter 2
With gentle strokes of the wet cloth Silas washes off the dried blood upon the young girl. As the skin becomes bare the gravity of her injures becomes known. Ignoring the gasp from the Principal he resumes cataloging the various injuries, both seen and hidden. Fingers gently smooth back the dirty hair from the child's small face.
Summoning the healing magic, Silas closes his eyes. With the ease of a practiced healer he slips within her frail body in attempt to heal the internal wounds. Starting from the head he begins the tenacious task of fixing such a broken body. As he listed the injuries within her cranium he could only detach his rage before it overcame the healing process. Stuffing it aside he carefully wills the the broken capillaries and shattered skull to piece back together.
Cautiously traveling through the mind in search of more injuries he noticed several old damage still healing. The slow rate of the healing and the amount of former trauma. Sending a sliver of his magic at the wound to speed up the mending process he slowly works the way towards her throat to inspect the larynx.
Upon inspection he found the small vocal cords almost damaged beyond his expertise. With a worried glance upon the torn organ he decided to come back with his father to fix this particular injury. Not willing to risk the child the loss of her voice he continues down and into the chest.
Tentatively surround the heart with healing magic he felt his anger seeping out. With a firm shove to the side it becomes controllable as he gazes with mortification at the small heart. Upon the beating organ lay a rather ominous rune. Memorizing the delicate calligraphy he continues the healing. Noticing a very lethal opening within the cardiac muscle Silas focuses carefully upon the opening. Using all his will and magic he urges the muscle to grow to seal the opening. Despite the wish to completely heal the wound he knew it would take weeks or months to repair the damage.
As he was about to move farther down he felt another presence slipping within. Tensing at the sudden intrusion Silas prepared to dispel whoever it was that is encroaching upon his patient. As the presence came closer he realized it as his father.
Quietly the two finished their search and went back up to the larynx. Upon inspecting it, Steven traces the edges of the laceration and with a reluctant tug pulled free from the young girl. Moving to follow his lead, Silas begins to pull free when a foreign matter begins forming around the edges. Hesitating Silas observes the violet substance slowly eating away the dead tissue and grow in size.
Reaching towards them to destroy them he suddenly felt something toss him out. Staggering backwards he stares at the girl in bewilderment. He glances over at his father who watches the girl carefully with consideration.
"Silas, " Steven begins as Silas studies the girl, "Whoever had raised this child is absolutely unsuitable to return her too."
Silas simply nods unable to trust his own thoughts as he carefully releases a tired sigh. Pulling up a chair next to her he sat down to peer at just how much their healing had effected her. Peeling away the ragged linen around her arms he noticed with satisfactory that the deep lacerations healed with, surprisingly, no scarring.
But with observant eyes he found several runes along her body. Frowning with concern he prays that whatever they stood for wouldn't be as trouble as her vocal cords and heart. As he watches her with trepidation Haruyo finally speaks up with concern, "Will she be alright, Silas?"
A tense silence hovers in the air as Silas slowly shifts the girl into a more suitable position, before letting out a heavy sigh adding to the overall daunting scenario, "Haruyo, I cannot lie about this. It will be a very trying couple of months. She is broken in more ways than one and will possibly never speak again."
Haruyo turns to face the small child laying helplessly at the doctor's side and could only feel her insides growing cold. Shivering with despair she whispers at no one in particular, letting the question hang unanswered, "What happened to you, child?"
Silas carefully pulls out a corked vial of a green liquid and with no indecision he uncorks the small glass container and downs the potion in one guld; shuddering at the unpleasant taste. Tucking the empty vial into his pocket he finally mutters, "She will not be able to leave the presence of a healer for several months for any length of time. Her emotional and physical health worry me far too much to allow her to go out on her own. It's not only my healing magic that she will need."
Reaching over he tenderly move her bangs from her face he carefully allows his magic to slip into her mind and dragging her within the crucial realm of sleep. Shifting to a more comfortable position himself, Silas allows his magic to keep her asleep and free of nightmares.
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

Reviews: 4
Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:57 pm
DoomWolfe says...

...WOW. This was an AMAZING story. I absolutely loved it. There are very few and very minor errors. Like areas where there should be commas, but there aren't any. It's wonderful that you had listed everything that was wrong with the girl. It just made me feel so very sad for her; also, it's great that you had the characters act out their emotions instead of just writing them down. That makes it all the more realistic. Like I said before, this was an amazing story. Keep it up!

~Wolfe
In my darkest of hours, would you lead me out of the insanity?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:52 pm
21WhiteRoses says...

This is lovely! Very well written and thought out! It's really got my interest peaked and I would love to read more! I really loved your precise usage of words. my mom is a medical lad tech so I can appreciate the good medical terms. Keep at it!
"But death and darkness in that instant closed the eyes of Argos, who had seen his master, Odysseus, after twenty years...."

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline