Saving Aleogra -Entranced- Chapter 1

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:52 pm
View Likes
DelanieHeart says...

~~1~~
~~Entranced~~

It was a broiling morning for the people living in the Scottish Countryside; the heat had been relentless the past week. The tranquil green of the landscape seemed to be like something out of a storybook; fresh and crisp. The tall oak trees linked with one another to create a perfect canopy, shading most of the Brookendale's backyard. The pond held the reflections of the scenery around it perfectly. Delanie observed the scenery around her, listening to dishes being moved rather forcefully downstairs, in the kitchen. Delanie's tall, regal mother was preparing a first class dinner for her boss; a fat man dressed in a too-expensive suit that matched with his designer toupee. She rolled her eyes, remembered her mother's shrill soprano voice telling her, "This is an important event. This could mean a big promotion and I don't need you to get in the way! Out!" Sighing, she pushed herself up on one elbow and looked around her small pink bedroom. Sighing, Delanie slipped downstairs, careful to avoid her mother's distasteful glare. No need to feed fuel to the fire flashed a bitter thought. She walked out in the burning August sun and immediately regretted her decision. It was so hot outside. She bee-lined for the forest that covered the majority of her property; the forest would be a great cover from the sun. Stopping under a big oak tree, it's leaves created a shady canopy, Delanie leaned against the trunk, inhaling the earthen smell the forest emitted and relishing in the shelter from the broiling heat.

Come and join the festivites, we are dancing merrily, so much fun and laughter, no one will be able to find you after... Delanie's eyes opened quickly as she heard eerie music and soft singing come from whthin the forest. "What the hell..." she began before a compelling feeling drew her further into the forest. Her feet moved themselves without a thought from Delanie and she felt herself being guided towards the enchanting music.

A strange arch of entwined vines loomed before Delanie but she paid no attention. It was as if all her senses could only focus on the strange music; all she could feel was the music, it was all she could see, all she could hear, all she could taste. It coated her and consumed her thoughts as she passed under the arch and into a clear green meadow with strange figures dancing. Delanie's feet stopped moving and the figures began to dance and sing so that Delanie could only pay attention to them. It looked like an imitation of water; the dancer's bodies were flowing smoothly from one liquid movement to the next, changing every second. They weren't wearing any shoes and their ivory skin shone in the growing moonlight. A collection of men and women, each as beautiful as the last, beckoned to Delanie, their voices invading her thoughts and their dance captivating her body.

The sky began to fade into black, the silver moon shining, but Delanie didn't notice; she was still enthralled by the dancers who were able to match every note of the music with their bodies. Hours passed and still Delanie couldn't draw herself away. The mysterious persons kept dancing, each move more frantic than the next. She was absorbed in the dance, swaying slightly to their voices. Suddenly, she was cloaked in darkness and squirmed to escape a crushing hold. Delanie was about to scream out before a feminine voice whispered through the cloth on her face. "Do not be afraid. I am not going to hurt you." Feeling the irrestistible urge to sneeze, Delanie sneezed, the sound muffled by the dense fabric.

Shaking her head, Delanie felt dust particles shake themselves loose from the fabric. Confused, she tried to see what they were but the bag on her head impaired her vision. Being able to think almost completely normal now; it didn't take her long to come up with a conclusion. This mysterious person had covered the bag in sleeping powder and Delanie struggled to keep her eyes open. Frantically thinking of an escape, Delanie felt herself slip off into peaceful subconsiousness. There was one last thought on her mind before she closed her eyes; Would she live to see the sunrise?
Last edited by DelanieHeart on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Writing is a haven. Writing is a solitude. Writing is a passion.

-- Delanie Heart

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 pm
View Likes
MUCHO says...

No insult intended, it's obvious you're a beginner, so I'm going to treat you like one. First things first, you need to stop repeating her name so much, and you can achieve this with an alternative sentence structure-

"Delanie was absorbed in the dance, swaying slightly to their voices. Suddenly, she was cloaked in darkness and squirmed to see their dancing. The girl was about to scream.... "Do not be afraid. I am not going to hurt you." She stopped struggling and felt the urge to sneeze."

Be careful not to just employ "she" though, as that can just make it worse. The above passage is not a good example of what I'm talking about, but you know what I mean.

Scottish Countryside. (though this is different than what most others do, there's a reason why we describe the setting more, because just mentioning it doesn't place me there, as I have no idea what the Scottish countryside is like or looks like or smells like-nice attempt, but just take a sentence or two, or interweve the description in with the action) Delanie(1) looked up (maybe use "stared" you don't have to mention "up" as a ceiling is usually up) at her white ceiling, listening to plates clinking and clanging (maybe stronger words than clinking and clanging, they are kind of awkward, but the alliteration is good) in the kitchen (where's Delanie) . Delanie's(2) perfectionist mother (eh.) was creating (creating? how about preparing) a dinner for her head boss (head boss?) and Delanie(3) rolled her eyes as she remembered her mother's shrill voice telling her, "This is an important event. This could mean a big promotion and I don't need you to get in the way! Out!" (I can just see a typical old lady wagging her finger, if that's what you mean, fine, but it doesn't have much effect) Sighing, she pushed herself up on one elbow and looked around her small pink bedroom. (now I know where she is :)) After her mother's prompt dismissal, Delanie(4) had made her way up to her bedroom (wasn't she already there?) and tried (eh.) to play on her laptop a bit (a bit is little) , but it was to no avail; everything was boring and she was hot. (eh.) It was the middle of August, and even clad in a pink tanktop and a pair of jean shorts, Delanie(5) could feel sweat pooling on her body. (nice) too much "she" as well.

Sighing, Delanie walked downstairs, careful to avoid her mother's distasteful glare. She walked (already used walked, how about "sulked downstairs") out in the burning August sun and immediately regretted her decision. It was so hot outside. Delanie raced for the forest lining the edge of her property; the forest would be a great cover from the sun (heat) . Jogging (Stopping) under a big oak tree, it's leaves tossing a shady canopy, Delanie leaned against the trunk, inhaling the earthen smell the forest emitted. (nice description there, but maybe another clause attached about sweat, or escaping the oppressive heat)

"Come and join the festivites, we are dancing merrily, so much fun and laughter, no one will be able to find you after..." Delanie's head snapped up (around) as she heard eery (I don't think that's the correct spelling) music and quiet (soft) singing came from deeper in (within) the forest. "What the hell..." she began before (as) a compelling (mystical, attractive) feeling drew her further into the forest. Her feet moved themselves without a thought and she felt herself being guided towards the enchanting music. (another nice transition into the next paragraph, capture those images and apply them more)

A strange arch of entwined (or just twisted, most of your vocab is very simple, so when you use something like "entwined" it has a very thesaurasy feel to it, though I like the effort :) ) vines loomed before Delanie (her). It was as if all of her senses but (except) hearing had been shut off; all she could feel was the music, it was all she could see, all she could hear, all she could taste. (doesn't make sense, I know what you are getting at, that her feelings, sight, and taste were all the same as hearing, but you can't say that only her hearing worked, and then she felt, saw, and tasted) It coated her (nice) and (as) Delanie (she) passed under the arch and into a clear green meadow with strange figures dancing. Delanie's feet stopped moving and the figures began to dance and sing so that Delanie could only pay attention to them. (interesting, describe the scene more)

It soon began to get dark (this allows you to go into description about the scene) but Delanie didn't notice; she was still enthralled with (by) the music. Hours passed and still Delanie couldn't draw herself away. It was the weirdest (eh.) sensation ever. Delanie registered the growing darkness but she couldn't focus on thoughts of her home and her obligation to return back to her mother. She was attached but not there completely (awkward sentence) .

Sorry, but I gotta stop, more of the same though.

Delanie was absorbed in the dance, swaying slightly to their voices. Suddenly, she was cloaked in darkness and squirmed to see their dancing. Delanie was about to scream out before a feminine voice whispered through the cloth on her face. "Do not be afraid. I am not going to hurt you." Delanie stopped struggling slightly and she felt the urge to sneeze.

Shaking her head, Delanie felt dust particles shake themselves loose from the fabric. She had been able to think almost completely normal now; it didn't take her long to come to one conclusion. This mysterious person had covered the bag in sleeping powder and Delanie struggled to keep her eyes open. Frantically thinking of an escape, Delanie felt herself slip off into peaceful subconsiousness. There was one last thought on her mind before she closed her eyes; Would she live to see the sunrise?

[color=#FF0000]I like the story, but your writing and structure is very raw, too much "and" also, there's some great description, and I think you should harness it more, sorry I couldn't make a better or neater review, but this is quite jumbled. Keep at it, you're very consistent, and that boads well, I think you have talent, but I also think the talent is raw. THIS can be longer, more feelings, more stream-of-consciuosnesss(spelled wrong).

In one word, PROMISING.
"This is our decision,
to live fast and die young...
Yeah it's overwhelming,
but what else can we do?
Get jobs in offices and
wake up for the morning commute?

The models will have children,
we'll get a divorce,
find some more models;
everything must run its course!

Fated to Pretend

62 Reviews

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:02 am
DelanieHeart says...

Hehe, wow, I actually thought I was a pree good writer, but there is always things I can learn. Kind of forgot about that. I guess I better edit all of this now. Anyways, I did do this in like half hour. I like your review though and most of it is true. I often rush from sentence to sentence without much explanation since I'm a roleplayer, not a story-by-your-self-omegee-no-roleplaying kind of person. I'm attempting to fix up this stuff and now, with all these reviews, I will be sure to give it a hard edit now.

I actually have a pretty extensive vocabulary and will also be looking on ways to make that shine through this chapter. Edits, edits, edits; see, that's why I need the people on YWS!

-- Delanie Heart

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:19 am
View Likes
geekchic says...

]Hey there! I see you have done some editing- nicely done. It's a huge improvement. :) However, I did see a few tiny things that I questioned as I was reading this.
DelanieHeart wrote:~1~

It was a roasting morning, but not unlike the strokes residents in the Scottish Countryside had gotten the entire week. This sentence was a little confusing.The tranquil green of the landscape seemed to be like something out of a stroybook; storybookfresh and crisp. The tall oak trees linked with one another to create a perfect canopy, shading most of the Brookendale's backyard. The pond held the reflections of the scenery around it perfectly. Delanie observed the scenery around her, listening to dishes beenbeing moved rather forcefully downstairs, in the kitchen. Delanie's tall, regal mother was creating Creating doesn't seem like the right word. Maybe making or preparing would sound bettera dinner for her boss; a fat man dressed in a too-expensive suit that matched with his designer toupee. She rolled her eyes, remembered her mother's shrill soprano voice telling her, "This is an important event. This could mean a big promotion and I don't need you to get in the way! Out!" Sighing, she pushed herself up on one elbow and looked around her small pink bedroom. Given the smallest room in the house, Delanie often had to make do with second-hand furniture, such as her mother's highschool spring mattress.The extra details about her room are a bit random Sighing, Delanie slipped downstairs, careful to avoid her mother's distasteful glare. No need to feed fuel to the fire flashed a bitter thought. She walked out in the burning August sun and immediately regretted her decision. It was so hot outside. She bee-lined for the forest that covered the majority of her property; the forest would be a great cover from the sun. Stopping under a big oak tree, it's leaves created a shady canopy, Delanie leaned against the trunk, inhaling the earthen smell the forest emitted and relishing in the shelter from the broiling heat.

Come and join the festivites, we are dancing merrily, so much fun and laughter, no one will be able to find you after... Delanie's eyes opened quickly as she heard eerie music and soft singing come from whthin the forest. "What the hell..." she began before a compelling feeling drew her further into the forest. Her feet moved themselves without a thought from Delanie and she felt herself being guided towards the enchanting music.

A strange arch of entwined vines loomed before Delanie but she paid no attention. It was as if all her senses could only focus on the strange music; all she could feel was the music, it was all she could see, all she could hear, all she could taste. It coated her and consumed her thoughts as she passed under the arch and into a clear green meadow with strange figures dancing. Delanie's feet stopped moving and the figures began to dance and sing so that Delanie could only pay attention to them. It looked like an imitation of water; the dancer's bodies were flowing smoothly from one liquid movement to the next, changing every second. They weren't wearing any shoes and their ivory skin shone in the growing moonlight. A collection of men and women, each as beautiful as the last, beckoned to Delanie, their voices invading her thoughts and their dance captivating her body.

The sky began to fade into black, the silver moon shining, but Delanie didn't notice; she was still enthralled by the dancers who were able to match every note of the music with their bodies. Hours passed and still Delanie couldn't draw herself away. The mysterious persons kept dancing, each move more frantic than the next. She was absorbed in the dance, swaying slightly to their voices. Suddenly, she was cloaked in darkness and squirmed to escape a crushing hold. Delanie was about to scream out before a feminine voice whispered through the cloth on her face. "Do not be afraid. I am not going to hurt you." Feeling the irrestistible urge to sneeze, Delanie sneezed, the sound muffled by the dense fabric.

Shaking her head, Delanie felt dust particles shake themselves loose from the fabric. Confused, she tried to see what they were but the bag on her head impaired her vision. Being able to think almost completely normal now; it didn't take her long to come up with a conclusion. This mysterious person had covered the bag in sleeping powder and Delanie struggled to keep her eyes open. Frantically thinking of an escape, Delanie felt herself slip off into peaceful subconsiousness. There was one last thought on her mind before she closed her eyes; Would she live to see the sunrise?
[/color]

Other than the things I pointed out this story was awesome! I can't wait to read more and I am curious to see what happens next. Great work!
-Hope
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

62 Reviews

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:59 am
View Likes
DelanieHeart says...

Thanks. I'll get to editing :)

-- Delanie Heart

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 pm
rayhutch5 says...

First off, I just want you to know that I see a lot of potential in your writing. I love the storyline so far, and I must say that I envy your wide vocabulary that is clearly displayed in your writing. I also love the many details that you give since I, myself, love giving/reading details in books. I understand that you wrote this within a half hour, so this is really good for being written in such a small amount of time. I did see a few typos that you might want to review. For example,
soft singing come from whthin the forest
This is just a tiny one that I noticed. Also, I would recommend not saying the character's name so much. After saying it three times within one paragraph, it tends to get annoying. I hope this helped you out! I look forward to reading more! :)
"Everything has beauty, just not everyone sees it." -Jen Meyers

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun May 01, 2011 11:18 am
View Likes
medievalwriter says...

Hey :)

I'll be having a look at this piece today, so I'll just begin.

First of all, the beginning made me giggle a bit. 'It was broiling...in the Scottish Countryside. These two words 'broiling' and 'Scotland' should never be combined hehe XP

~~1~~
~~Entranced~~

It was a broiling morning for the people living in the Scottish Countryside; the heat had been relentless the past week. The tranquil green of the landscape seemed to be like something out of a storybook; fresh and crisp. The tall oak trees linked with one another to create a perfect canopy, shading most of the Brookendale's backyard. The pond held the reflections of the scenery around it perfectly. Delanie observed the scenery around her, listening to dishes being moved rather forcefully downstairs, in the kitchen.
I LOVED this bit of description. I quite often harp on about using description well in a story and you my friend, have achieved that brilliantly. :)
Delanie's tall, regal mother was preparing a first class dinner for her boss; a fat man dressed in a too-expensive suit that matched with his designer toupee. She rolled her eyes, remembered her mother's shrill soprano voice telling her, "This is an important event. This could mean a big promotion and I don't need you to get in the way! Out!" Sighing, she pushed herself up on one elbow and looked around her small pink bedroom. Sighing, Delanie slipped downstairs, careful to avoid her mother's distasteful glare. No need to feed fuel to the fire flashed a bitter thought. She walked out in the burning August sun and immediately regretted her decision. It was so hot outside. She bee-lined for the forest that covered the majority of her property; the forest would be a great cover from the sun. Stopping under a big oak tree, it's leaves created a shady canopy, Delanie leaned against the trunk, inhaling the earthen smell the forest emitted and relishing in the shelter from the broiling heat.
Again, amazing description!

Should that not be written as speech? Or italics?

Amazing ending too! I actually think that I was too immersed in that section there to actually pick out any errors, I doubt that there were anyway. Overall this is a brilliant piece with no major errors whatsoever. You used description brilliantly and I really like your writing style. Keep this up! I'll looking out for more. :)

medievalwriter (Sean)
Hwær cwom mearg? Hwær cwom mago?
Hwær cwom maþþumgyfa?
Hwær cwom symbla gesetu?
Hwær sindon seledreamas?

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:17 am
View Likes
SuicideCrusader says...

I like this piece. You do well with description that kinda leaves me envious. You kept my interest the entire time. And let me wanting to read the next chapter. I'm very interested in seeing what happens next.

Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one's life.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening