z

Young Writers Society

new project, title still pending...(II)

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:53 pm
Elephant says...

Here's the next chapter, I know it's kind of short, but the next one is longer, I think :wink: All comments and crits welcome.

Rated again for language...

EL

-------------

II. Therapy (or Welcome to Purgatory)

For the record I don’t need therapy.

I don’t need –

“Do you know why you are here?”

Kyle’s inner monologue was cut off by the woman’s question.

Yes, Kyle knew exactly why he’s here at the mercy of another head-shrinker. This woman made what, 10 or 11 now.

For the gazillionth time I don’t need therapy.

The woman, in her late forties, early fifties looked through her rounded glasses and down her sharp talon hooked nose at him, waiting for him to speak.

Kyle had been to plenty of sessions before; he knows how it will work. They will engage in a staring contest until on of them breaks. Some words will be exchanged, he’ll placate and then finally slip some random fact into the mess, then she will nod and murmur and write on her notepad. Then she will ask him some more questions which he will evade until he gets tired of her ‘hmming’ and starts making things up so she stops her bothering. She’ll send him out, talk to his mother, by phone or in person, maybe even prescribe something, and everything will be fine until the next time he fucks up.

This happens to be that next time.

What was it this time? Oh yeah, the Vicodin pills. He had taken a bottle of Vicodin from his mother’s medicine stash, like she’d miss them in the first place, pill popping wasn’t her really. She had found him the next morning in a daze, half the bottle and a fifth of Jack down his throat. That taught Kyle one thing, never to drown his sorrows in pills with alcohol chasers again. Meeting the contents of your stomach ten times over wasn’t exactly his idea of fun.

Bring it on woman.

Kyle stared vilely back at her as if she was Darth Vader himself.

This one was either a weakling or impatient and she broke after only a few minutes.

“Again Kyle, do you know why you are here?”

Yes, he thought, but I’m not giving you the satisfaction.

In the comfort of his own room, which he and Jake affectionately called – The Bat Cave – because it technically was the basement, Kyle lounged on his bed, in a pair of old boxers, fixated on the earlier therapy session.

Who wants to pour out there whole bloody life story to an old woman who never can nor will ever understand you, ever? Who is so out of touch with the younger generation that she’ll probably just prescribe you pills, and be on her way shaking her head from her judge chair. It was so fucking ridiculous.

Picking up his sketch book, he flipped through his previous panels. He hoped Sara could make something of them, because he sure as hell couldn’t. They just seemed a mess of vague figures and sharp angles. He tossed the book again in favour of staring at the ceiling. Was there anything more than this? Because if there wasn’t, Kyle was sure someone had mixed up the labels and this was really Purgatory.

Kyle had stopped going to church whence at the tender age of twelve figured that being a hypocrite just wasn’t his style. He was only going for his Gran, since she had taken him every Sunday since he was a babe. He was going for the record now, 5 hundred and sixty seven days since last time inside a church. (The last time being his cousin Michelle’s wedding.) It felt good; it felt like some kind of accomplishment, that he actually did something for himself. He didn’t feel he was being heretical either, if he was going to find god (if there was one), he was going to find it/him on his own terms.

The house intercom crackled, “Kyle sweetheart,” it was his dear mother, “Remember we have to be at Red Robin’s in an hour.”

Oh goody.

Kyle took a look in the mirror, and pinched the skin about his hip bone. He often wondered at times like these if problems with body image were solely female.

Every time he looked at himself, he found something to criticize; he knew physically, he'd been slow to develop. He scowled at his appearance.

Even at the age of fifteen, I look about the same as I did when I was twelve.

He pulled on one of his long sleeved band tees before looking for a clean pair of pants.

Well isn’t this splendid, Kyle thought as he slid into a booth seat, red polyester squeaking and biting at his clothed skin. Burring his head, he watched through the dark fringe of his hair as the rest of his dysfunctional family did the same.

“Kyle, sit up, posture sweetheart.” Though his mother tried to make it sound cheery, it came out as a hiss and through his tangled hair Kyle imagined a snake.

“Kyle, listen to your mother, sit up for fucks sake.” His father growled through his uneven teeth.

It seemed the only thing his parent agreed on these days was him. Not that it made him feel any better because usually it was something he did or was doing wrong.

His elder sister Jenny sat at the far end of the round table, clicking her brightly magenta fake nails against the linoleum surface.

She fixed an annoyed stare at Kyle, “Can we just like eat?”

As if one some cue, the teenage plastic waitress, her coral tinted brown hair clashing with her tight fire engine red uniform.

“So,” her rakish speech was accented by a pop of gum, “What can I get you fer?

Jenny rolled her eyes, his mother stared dagger at his father for giving the girl a little more than a once-over, and Kyle feverishly wished to be anywhere else; even his six period Algebra II class, even the shrink’s office.

“Uh…I’ll have Number 7 with a coke, that’ll be regular, none of this diet shit, and a side salad instead of fries, ranch dressing.” Jenny pouted at the waitress and picked up the menu between two fingers and shoved it at the girl.

“The special for me and a draft,” His father barked, leering at Kyle as if he was the cause of all his problems.

Kyle perused the greasy, sticky menu as his mother started a debate about types of cheese.

This was unbelievably a farce.

“Popcorn shrimp and a water,” he voiced before pushing the menu away and trying to wipe the grease from his fingers on the edge of the table, only to find it was as disgustingly stick as the menu.
You couldn't parallel park if your life depended on it, so it's unfortunate that, due to the alien invaders' strange emphasis on motorist competence, that's exactly what it comes down to.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Random avatar

Reviews: 71
Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:08 pm
Nis says...

Yes, Kyle knew exactly why he’s here at the mercy of another head-shrinker.

Kyle knew exactly why he was here....

The woman, in her late forties, early fifties looked through her rounded glasses and down her sharp talon hooked nose at him, waiting for him to speak.

The woman, who was in her late forties or early fifties, looked through her rounded glasses and down her sharp talon hooked nose at him, waiting for him to speak.

Kyle had been to plenty of sessions before; he knows how it will work. They will engage in a staring contest until on (this should be one)of them breaks. Some words will be exchanged, he’ll placate and then finally slip some random fact into the mess, then she will nod and murmur and write on her notepad. Then she will ask him some more questions which he will evade until he gets tired of her ‘hmming’ and starts making things up so she stops her bothering. She’ll send him out, talk to his mother, by phone or in person, maybe even prescribe something, and everything will be fine until the next time he fucks up.

Shouldn't this be in the past tense?

He was going for the record now, 5 hundred and sixty seven days since last time inside a church.

...sixty seven days since his last....

The house intercom crackled, "Kyle sweetheart," it was his dear mother, "Remember we have to be at Red Robin's in an hour."

There should be a full stop after 'mother'. "Kyle sweetheart," it was his dear mother. "Remember we have to be at Red Robin's in an hour."

Burring his head, he watched through the dark fringe of his hair as the rest of his dysfunctional family did the same.

Burying his head....

"Kyle, listen to your mother, sit up for fucks sake." His father growled through his uneven teeth.

Should be: sit up for fuck's sake.

As if one some cue, the teenage plastic waitress, her coral tinted brown hair clashing with her tight fire engine red uniform.

As if on cue, the teenage....

Does this guy, Kyle, want to commit suicide? He seems a lot like someone I know.

I didn't get much out of this but you did tell the reader a little more about Kyle and how he behaves with the 'shrink' and around his family.

34 Reviews

Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:37 pm
Elephant says...

Thanks Niobe, I'll be the first one to admit I suck at grammer, thats what friends are for, right? The purpose of this chapter was for character developement, so that's why nothing much happens.

Does Kyle want to commit suicide? I don't think so, he is just a normal teenager with problems and this is how he deals with it. He acts on his impulsives - hey kind of reminds me of me... :shock:

The incident in the shrinks office is actually from personal experience.

I promise the next chapter will be full of suprises and plot movement.

thanks again.

ergg I really need a title for this thing...

EL
You couldn't parallel park if your life depended on it, so it's unfortunate that, due to the alien invaders' strange emphasis on motorist competence, that's exactly what it comes down to.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:48 pm
*Twilight* says...

Kyle stared vilely back at her as if she was Darth Vader himself.

This right here was my favorite line. I loved it. That is the reason I like your writing style it's more of a real person telling the story instead of somesort of dictionary junkie. I can't wait for pt three maybe I can help you think of a name when the main plot unfolds.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

Random avatar

Reviews: 71
Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:33 am
Nis says...

I'm wondering why this is in Fantasy...

Looking forward to the next chapter! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:12 pm
ikklebeastie says...

Sorry, double post, my server's acting up :oops:
Last edited by ikklebeastie on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:13 pm
ikklebeastie says...

Hi Elephant,
this is really good when read after part 1 - I'm starting to really like Kyle a lot! :D At one point when reading this piece I actually wanted to speak outloud to Kyle, because I was so involved.
Grammar issues aside (which Niobe has fixed :wink: ) I think this is great.
I think that as you say Kyle isn't suicidal, maybe you should just make that a bit cleared when you're talking about the pills, etc, as it did come across that he could have been trying to off himself. I love the informality of the language you use, it makes the characters much more personal and realistic.
I'm a bit confused about the fantasy bit right at the beginning of part 1 - is it necessary to tell us that right then, because it made me confused, which distracts from your characters. Also, I know absolutely no one who has a house intercom - is this an american thing? :wink:

I can't wait for the next bit, I'm itching to find out who that mysterious guy was and where this is all going! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:21 pm
Areida says...

Good way to let us see his family--sit us down to dinner with them, LOL. I'm glad Niobe mentioned the "burring"/"burying" thing, because I sat there and read the sentence over and over, trying to figure out if I had read it wrong or it was a word I just needed to look up.

But anyway.

The therapist thing is very realistic... I had to go to a couple of counselors when my parents were getting divorced ( :roll: ) and they really sucked.

Overall, I think this is heading in a good direction, but I would tie in the fantasy part again soon, lest we forget.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

34 Reviews

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:27 pm
Elephant says...

ARGG... I just posted a lenghty response and the site logged off on me... err lets try this again.

The next chapter which will be up pronto, defines this as fantasy.

I feel so loved! :D

Twilight: I was actually toying with the title The Book of EL, but that's just what it is on my comp because of my name. Still looking for a proper title.

Niobe: thanks again for criting all my grammer mistakes.

ikklebeastie: My friend, Sean has a house intercom, but I actually don't know anyone else who has one in their house. I thought it would be a nice house quirk, and then Kyle didn't have to talk face to face with Mom. I am really happy that you like Kyle, it shows I am doing something right. I'll see about clearing up the part about the pills so it doesn't seem like he was trying to off himself. hmm... I am thinking about putting the first part of part I in a prologue because it is out of touch with the first 2 parts. yay, I am happy that you actually wanted to talk with Kyle...hapiness.

Miss Ari: I am glad you thought the family dinner was funny. Sorry about my lack of spelling. This is me: spelling what? The thearpist session is actually based on real life, so yeah, not so fun... And fantasy is coming, don't you worry. :)

Thank you all again.

EL

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix