z

Young Writers Society

Freedom

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:44 pm
xanthan gum says...

(I'm just posting this to ask of those who have the guts to critizise people. I love writing, so here is a taste of a story I just recently started, but I don't know if I should get my hopes high with novel writing. I don't wish to become famous or even get published, but I would like to honestly know if I even have some quality.)

The jail door slammed shut in front of Iyabo’s grease-streaked face. The bars, themselves, were grimy and dirt ridden, the cracks in the walls infested with tiny creatures that had soft bodies and no eyes. Iyabo crossed her eyes and stared at her nose with mild fascination, intriguing herself with trying to keep the rest of the world in focus despite the blurriness that would surely ensue on the outer edges of her vision as soon as her eyes turned toward the center. As she delighted herself with this, snorting laughter, she rubbed her back against the hard walls of the jail cell. A few insects were brushed aside or crushed in the process, their mangled bodies falling to the floor in a mesh of spidery limbs and soft, cockroach-like bodies. Iyabo stamped aside those that still tossed and turned and set herself to touch the tip of her tongue with her nose.
Tomorrow her goal was to be to lick her elbow. Or spend all day trying.
Iyabo did not get her own cell, of course. She was one of five stuffed in a five-by-four cramped area. She knew this world well – where bodies overlapped in sleep, the tall ones with their knees pulled up so that they wouldn’t get their feet stuck in between the bars as they slept. Iyabo was just short enough so that her feet came short of the bars with no tucking in of her limbs. Meanwhile, she sat against the wall, bodies pressing close to her. The other women in there coughed and spat into their hands, chewing on their fingernails.
They were not much different from Iyabo.
Iyabo was facing two lifetimes in prison. Again. The sentence had been given on account of Iyabo’s blood. Iyabo’s great-great-grandmother had stolen something in the marketplace. This had earned her six lifetimes in prison. So her daughter, when one was finally conceived after constant sequential raping sessions at age twelve, was born, she was sent immediately to an infancy jail section. So had been the lives of her ancestors thereafter. After giving birth her great-great-grandmother was locked away in a huge pit of sinful, naked bodies, all piled atop of each other, all screaming and moaning in pain. Food was thrown in, and the scramble for it caused the death of many prisoners. Even if you did survive like this, the pile up of bodies would kill you eventually. After all, they never cleaned that place out.
Iyabo was around fifty seven seasons old and had already undergone many raping sessions. But they had ceased around eight months ago. Iyabo ran her fingers down to her stomach where she felt a large bulge. At least when she was pregnant they had fed her more, but her baby was still starving and still sentenced to the same fate as Iyabo. It could be some small condolence, perhaps, that Iyabo’s granddaughter would be a free woman.
Freedom. The word rang with angel’s voices and golden bells in her mind. A taste of freedom, it was said, was much like a taste of a cloud – momentary, ethereal and impossible.
Her jailers took fun at embarrassing the people with the sin still in their blood – they would poke and prod, which, out of all things, was the most annoying. They would also whip some, especially if they caught them “thinking of sin”. Iyabo had only been whipped twice – once when she was five, and again when she was seven. Everybody was whipped at least once. If you cried, you were whipped more often; if you begged, you were whipped constantly. It was more for the jailer’s delight than anything, but they still claimed the whippings were to beat the sin of sadness out of you.
Whipping, of course, is not the worse they could do to you. There were various torture devices, and just the other day the jailer on duty for Iyabo’s floor had taken fun in making five women run back and forth naked, and undergo many other humiliations. Iyabo was never chosen to be part of such punishments because she was quiet and never begged or cried when whipped or tortured. Occasionally she had to endure some punishments, but all because of the jailer’s foul day.
There was a new jailer everyday – all citizens had to serve at least one day of jailing service in a year. The jail was the largest building on the world, besides the palace that was for those who were Pure. Needless to say, there were only a handful of occupants left – around twenty. Even the “Pure” ones were said to have sinned, but were protected by the high reputations. What any innocent with sinner’s blood would do to have been forgiven their sins….
Carpe Diem.

Random avatar

Reviews: 35
Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:26 pm
4evadreamin says...

Yeah, I definately think you have quality, this was really good. It sounds horrible, actually makes me feel really sorry fot the prisoners even though I know it's fictional. What I think is brilliant is how unique all of your ideas are, about the prison and the pure ones and having to serve more than just your own lifetime, really clever, excellent job. I'll read more of this when you write it, I think you've got an excellent story here. Well done and keep writing. :D
"Look inside the eye of your mind,
Don't you knowyou might find,
A better place to play."-Oasis. For dreamers.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:45 pm
zelithon says...

very creative and unique, very descriptive you have Potiental (with a capital P!) you should be more optimistic in your writing you should not say you can not be a writer before you try. Is it supposed to be a horor story? i noticed though that all the gards are cruell, so because they take turns and come from the town dose that meen most men inb your whole imaginary world are corupt? dont they ever know anyone who is put in jail or something or take pity on the children or babys who havent one anything, do they have no children of there own?
keep writeing it is a facinateing story

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:12 pm
Ego says...

Ok, right off the bat--double space your paragraphs.

Teehee, you're just like me! You overuse commas, which means you probably write like you talk, inserting commas where you would normally pause when you talk. This is not always the case when writing....just ta let you know. I'll cite some examples if you'd like, just let me know.

This was really well written! I was surprised when I started reading and all of a sudden I was halfway down the page--it immersed me into this world you've created, which is both very interesting and very political, common enough in good fantasy but strangely missing in most.

I didn't notice that many comma errors after reading the whole thing (I wrote this while I read...), so I wouldn't worry about it. Spme of your sentences seemed choppy to me, maybe if you found a way to make them more complex and make them run more smoothly together, it would read better--overall a good read so far.

EDIT: I particularly liked the laws of the city and the description of the prison cell. Very unique and descriptive. Nice work.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature