Young Writers Society

Journey of the Magi, yet another chapter

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 am
brandenwallace says...

Well folks, heres some more.

Chapter 5: The One Called Refando

The sun sat high above Vales, the capitol city of the Kingdom of Valen. Birds fluttered though the air, ushering the warmth and life of spring back into the city. But in the Great Hall, where important politicians and dignitaries sat listening to a frightened man ramble, death still lingered, waiting to strike.
“Why should we believe this man? He is just a lowly blacksmith from a small village. He does not know how this kingdom works.” A flustered senator said. “He has not received any schooling and we have proven that his eyesight is much dulled from working in hazardous conditions. I say we disregard the preposterous view of this one person and have our own investigation.” With that, the senator sat back down in his seat, satisfied that he had made his point. Throughout the vast hall, many senators, governors, and other various political leaders, sat on regal looking marble steps, or leaned against the giant pillars that supported the Great Hall. At one end of the hall sat Chancellor Wentis, the head over everything in the Kingdom of Valen, his power greater than all but the King himself. The Chancellor sat on his simple styled chair, black with streaks of silver in it. His head bore no hair, only a thin white headband, tied in the back.
Politicians continued to argue down the hall, but Wentis seemed apart from it all. He glanced at several senators bickering with each other, and then turned to the imposing guards on either side of him.
“I have made my decision on this matter and I grow restless of listening to these fools argue.” Wentis said quietly.
Tilting his head towards the Chancellor, one of the guards replied, “Yes Chancellor Wentis. I shall end the meeting.” Then stepping a few steps forward, the guard let out a bellow, “
The Chancellor has spoken. This meeting concerning the disaster at Tunvil is now over. Please leave the Great Hall in an orderly fashion.”
With looks of annoyance on their faces, the politicians slowly shuffled to the massive doors leading to the outer court of the Great Hall.
“Old Wentis, he always ends the court without hearing all sides of the story. It’s just like him to dismiss court when we are starting to push him out of his comfort zone.” A politician said in the crowd.
Wentis took one look back at the crowd as he mounted his single horse carriage. A look of shock crossed his face. Before him was a seen of chaos, as senators and other important men stood beating on the large doors that led out of the building. But the doors stood closed, not to be opened by any natural forces. Behind the crowd of people, a lone figure emerged from the shadows of the room, dressed in clothes darker than night itself, wrapped tightly to his body. A cape flowed about him like a crimson flag, hiding him beneath it. Wentis studied the character closely, paused, and then signaled to his guards. The guards, who had been watching the person inside the Great Hall, stepped forward at the Chancellor’s singal.
“Guards, get me out of here. I do not know what is going on in there but I have no wish to have my life in danger.” The Chancellor said.
The guard in charge closed the door to the Great Hall, which Wentis had used, and climbed upon the front of the carriage.
“You two stay here and make sure no one pursues us.” The two guards wore shiny plate armor across their chests and wore thick chain mail pants. At their sides hung basic military swords, thick handled, the blade being as long as a man’s arm. The guards stood on either side of the doorway and watched as the Chancellor’s carriage rolled into the distance.
From inside the Great Hall came many noises, screaming and shouting for help along with cries of agony, until there was nothing but an eerie silence. The guards looked to each other with nervous expressions but continued to stand their ground, until they heard a soft knock on the door they guarded. Startled, they turned to face the door.
“Who is there?” One of them asked. No reply came though. Again, the knock came, though this time it was a bit louder.
“Ok, whoever you are we’ve had enough of this game. Tell us who you are or we’ll go in there and drag it out of you!” The guard who was slightly shorter than the other guard, said.
“Gentlemen, such harsh actions will not be required.” A cold, yet smooth like honey, voice said from behind the men, who were still facing the door. Spinning around, the guards drew their swords and stood in a battle ready stance. The person who had startled them was none other than the same man who had been inside the Great Hall.
“What! How did you get out here?” The taller guard said. The man ignored the question; instead, he swung his arm out towards the guard, a small dagger leaving his hand as he did. The dagger lodged itself in the guard’s throat, sending him to his knees. Shocked, the other guard swung his sword towards the man in a slow slashing manner. The swing was easily dodged by the darkly clothed man, who counterattacked with a sweeping kick that took out the guard’s legs. The guard dropped his sword as his head struck, dealing a deathly blow.
“Now tell me, why did you foolishly give your life for that incompetent waste of life that you call Chancellor? Was it a sense of honor? Or were you just caught in a routine of following orders? No matter. If you are found by anyone before you die, tell them that Refando of the Q’ulan is here and that we will have vengeance.” With that, he turned and walked down the abandoned alley, a pool of blood already becoming quite large around the guards.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women