z

Young Writers Society

Hidden- Chapter Twelve

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm
EvensLily says...

Chapter TWELVE: JARED'S Disaster

Jared swung his backpack over his back as he made his way through Glasgow city centre, there seemed to be a lot of havoc today, people whispering. As he walked down the street, people avoided his eye, rushing passed him. He shrugged it off, he was used to it. He didn’t regret his tattoos, they made him who he was, he wasn’t just an ordinary person then, he was spotted and people watched him. He felt that way when he was fifteen anyway, just before the change.
God it was terrifying, he never wanted to go through that again. His step father just pushed his buttons. Jared had known for a long time that his mother didn’t have good taste in men, his three fatherless brothers and sisters were proof of that, one night his mother’s new boyfriend went out late, Jared was out too, with his new friend Tyrone, who back then, didn’t have the scar. They seemed to be so similar, so alike in the way they thought. Tyrone was only six months younger than him and Jared actually enjoyed the company of someone else, which for Jared, was Tyrone’s biggest achievement. His step father found them outside an all night cafe and was drunk, very drunk. He had started off calling them names, laughing uncontrollably, and then started throwing beer cans at them. Tyrone had been sympathetic, with a drunkard as a mother who had given him up; he knew what it was like. They had tried to get away before his step father had pulled out the gun.
“One less kid, now that’s what I need” He cocked it and Jared lost control, turning right there and then for the first time, he managed to hurt his step father and split his best friend in the face. Every time Jared looked at Tyrone he shivered, he did that to his best friend and he would have to remember that for the rest of his life. Not that Tyrone was having any problems in the ugly department, Lily, Jared sighed. He knew when he told Lily to leave; she would find a way to come back, but like that? Fuck no, which was totally the last time Jared was going to make Lily leave, if that’s what she’s is like after a few hours without him, fine. Tell her everything. Jared was never going to kick Tyrone out, not even if his life depended on it, Tyrone was his best friend, his brother.
Jared heaved another heavy signed as he walked into the train station; the price of tickets had gone up. He brought out a tenner and flinched as he saw how much the man had in his register. This was going to be an eventful visit to the Council, they always enjoyed seeing him. Ha, they hated the Black Pack; yep they had called them the Black Pack... talk about racist. He wasn’t worried as the rest of the pack seemed to be. He knew the council would never let Vampires into Scotland but it still worried him that they were all so worried. Nario’s death had been a tragic accident.
Jared sat on the cold metal bench and he started to people watch. People with kids, it made him smile when he watched the fathers of the children laughing and joking with their kids, actually giving a damn. One had his little boy on his shoulders, grinning up at him as the boy hugged his head, they looked so happy. Jared signed, his mother had been kind enough but he had to leave home, the council said they all did, at fifteen he had to wonder the streets alone. His mother loved him, but never made any real effort with him, so when he left, she simply smiled and kissed him on the forehead, he hadn’t seen her in a year, didn’t really want to. He had moved on.
The train screeched and made its way up to a stop. It was basically empty; he had just missed the morning work rush. He wanted fifty minutes of solitude, so went right to the back of the train too an empty compartment. His back slouched on the hard surface of the seat and brought out a book, he desperately needed to practise his reading, yeah, he could read but not very well and it embarrassed him. Tyrone was okay, the year he spent in a behaviour problem institute when he was thirteen, he had good schooling, he could read and write and wasn’t too bad at maths either, jammy git, goes to mental institution and gets better... when does that ever happen? Jared slugged the book open on his lap, damn it, no table... and took a look at the second act, he had a headache already. Shakespeare was hard to read but Jared enjoyed it, he had loved Hamlet and couldn’t wait to read Othello, this was Lily’s copy, she even had made little notes in the margins and summarised the overall act when it finished to help him, he felt connected with Othello, Black and misunderstood, the story of his life.
“Hello” A voice came from behind him and made him jump; he turned to see a boy with brown hair and shinning blue eyes smiling at him. A scream suddenly sounded at the window, Tyrone’s face was pressed up against the glass knocking, pointing at the boy telling Jared to run.
“What the-?” Jared asked as Tyrone was being held down by the police on the station floor. The train suddenly started to move forward.
“Welcome to hell” The boy smiled as sharp teeth protruded from his mouth.

Lily

I sat on one of the floral chairs in the living room my tea in my hands, I hadn’t told Tyrone yet, that I loved him. He hadn’t given me the chance. As soon as they realised what was going to happen to Jared they had rushed Pierce and I to Floras house. He had kissed me on the forehead and told me to stay put. Pierce was sitting by my feet, staring at the phone in his lap.
“It’s going to be okay Pierce, Tyrone will sort it, don’t worry” I smoothed my hand over his rough black hair and he gave me a weak smile.
“I hope so” Was all he said staring back down to the phone. Big Mama Flora came bursting into the room her large body making the floor board’s creek as she grabbed Pierce into a big hug and started to cry.
“Ma, it’s going to be all right, you’ll see, Tyrone will sort it, don’t worry” I signed, he basically said everything I had said to him, which meant he didn’t see any luck in it. Tyrone was going to be alright, he had to be alright.
“It’s not them I am worried about, it’s you... I want you home from now and no more sleeping under that god forsaken bridge”
“Ma, I don’t have a choice, I have to, the Council...”
“I don’t care about the stupid council”
“Ma, this is important and all the guys will look out for me”
“The only one who looked after you was Nario and he’s gone” I zoned out of their argument and pulled my legs up to my chin staring at the clock. God, I hadn’t eaten anything in so long, and right on cue my stomach rumbled.
“Oh sunshine you should have asked” Big Mama Flora said sadly and she turned and headed towards the kitchen. “Two bacon sandwiches coming up” This was starting to get ridiculous, my Jeans actually smelt. I got up from my chair setting my tea on the pink coaster on the wooden couch side table and went for my bag. My feet ached, but thankfully Flora had some nurofen... thank god for drugs. I pulled my bag open and inside lay a brown paper bag I didn’t recognise. I pulled it out and opened it. Inside was a pair of blue skinny jeans, a black under shirt, a vintage orange baggy knitted jumper and a pair of yellow converses. The best clothes I had had in a long time. I pulled them out of the bag and pulled out the note underneath.
Thought you might need this.
Magnus
Well, I wasn’t wearing them now. I stopped myself before I shoved them back in, well Magnus didn’t kill anyone... He sounded upset with Nate. Right, I was going to stick them on but only because I was desperate, never again.
“Peirce” I said sticking my head into the living room. “I’m going to go to the bathroom okay?” Peirce nodded and stared back to the phone. I thanked Flora again for everything and hopped up the stairs and into the bathroom. It smelt bad; mould was everywhere, growing on the walls and in the bathtub. I shrugged, no different from my home, In fact it was ten times better, and it had an upstairs. I washed my face and brushed my teeth, the clothes seemed to fit well, and the jumper didn’t drown me, In fact, it did the opposite and it showed of curves I didn’t know I had, I smiled at myself as I went back downstairs dropping my old clothes in my torn backpack.
“Lily sunshine the bacon is done” Flora smiled warmly at me as she gestured me towards the kitchen/dining room; I thanked her again and went to join Pierce at the table.
“I like you’re clothes” was the first thing he said to me when I sat down. I suppressed a grin. “Where did you get them?”
“Birthday” Right... now that, was the worse lie I have ever told. Pierce burst out laughing.
“Finally stole something did you?” He asked teasingly.
“No, I was given it... like a birthday present” He laughed again but didn’t elaborate, I took a bite out of the amazing bread and bacon, that melted into my mouth and suddenly the phone rang. Pierce dived for it.
“Hello”
“What’s going on?”
“What do you mean-“
“Wait no...!” Pierce banged the phone down in frustration and put his head in his hands.
“What is it?” I asked urgently. “What’s going on?”
“It’s a disaster, they couldn’t stop the train in time and White was with Jared on the train”
Write and Smile people! X

Reviews: 3
Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:17 pm
View Likes
VincentQuest91 says...

Your writing is very interesting. I like it.
Quest.

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler