z

Young Writers Society

Black Pendragon Chapter 1

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:00 am
Leahweird says...

“What is it, Mordred?” asked Morgan, pulling me onto her lap. I think I was five, perhaps younger. These events have the diaphonous quality of early memory, but some things make more sense now that I'm older.

“Why does King Lot hate me?”

I can’t remember why it had been so important to know.

I must have disconcerted people. No one wanted to talk about such things with someone so young. Looking back, though, it might have bothered them more that it was me asking.

Going to mother had been a mistake. She had actually looked at me for once, but she seemed so hurt that it didn’t seem worth it. I was still too young to understand why.

Morgan would always answer my questions though. She didn’t care how young I was.

“Because he knows you are not his son,” she said.

i can't recall being surprised by this, though I suppose I should have been. It was the first time anyone had acknowledged the fact. But I was obviously nothing like Lot’s boys, in personality or appearance.

Actually, with my black hair and blue eyes, I looked a lot like Morgan herself. It was one of the reasons people often mistook her for my real parent, rather than just my aunt. I had always assumed I took after my mother’s side of the family. This turned out to be true in a way no one was comfortable with.

“But who is my father?”

“He’s a knight at Camelot.”

That was disappointing. No one in Lothian had anything good to say about the High King’s court. My oldest brother Gawaine liked to regale his younger siblings with tales of glory and splendour, but his visits home where rare, and even as a small child I was suspicious of those stories.

“If Lot was smarter,” Morgan continued. “He would be a lot nicer to you.”

“Why?”

“Because your true father is a very influential man, and so far he has no other children.”

This information was a lot more exciting. To the youngest of five, the sudden promise of an inheritance could be quite thrilling.

“Does he know about me?”

“He knows he has a son. Now go play for a while, I need to go speak with your mother.”

I told Agravaine of my good fortune that evening. Usually I kept my own confidence, by he was the closest to me in age, and I felt that I could trust him. It was nice to have someone other than Morgan to conspire with.

“Oh. So that’s why you never call him father.”

Agravaine didn’t have enough imagination to be shocked. I remeber clearly seeing for the first time all of the differences between my brother and myself. He was naturally brawny, with the bright red hair that the rest of the family all shared. We were both pale skinned, but his was naturally fair, dotted with freckles and often sunburned. I was probably pallid because I was sick so often, and I didn’t spend enough time outside even when I wasn’t ill.

“But Morgan’s a witch,” he said.

“So?”

“Witches lie.”

“Morgan would never lie to me.”

She didn’t lie at all actually. It was a point of pride for her. She would, however, twist the truth. Often by omitting important details.

I confronted her about it years later. I had already been living with her for awhile then, but I decided over breakfast one wanted to air my grievances.

“That was a dirty trick.”

“What was?” she replied, demurely continuing with the meal.

“Telling me that my father was just a knight. Neglecting to mention that he is also High King.”

“He’s the one who goes on about everyone in his court being equal.”

“You intentionally made me think that I could be his heir,”

“And why can’t you?” She demanded, “It’s perfect. He can leave his kingdom to his beloved nephew. He wouldn’t even have to lie.”

I didn’t even bother pointing out how depraved that was, she wouldn’t care, but I doubted Arthur wanted anything to do with me even if my origins were a secret.

“He tried to kill me,” I pointed out.

She waved off my interjection as if it were a minor detail.

“That was the wizards fault, and from what I hear Merlin is getting old. I’m sure once he’s gone Arthur will be forced to make his own decisions.”

I didn’t argue with her any further. Deep down I wanted her to be right. I already felt like the Prince of Camelot. I hoped more than anything that I could someday be known as Mordred Pendragon, High King.

Eventually I simply thanked my aunt for not telling me right away. At least I had that short time to believe that I was the child of someone worth being proud of.
Last edited by Leahweird on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:48 pm
View Likes
Chirantha says...

Hi Leah,

Although I'm not sure who's the character I'm following in your story, it still is pretty interesting and I like the way you mixed the dialogue with description, making a natural balance.

Alright, onto the review,

Mistakes

Morgan, pulling me into her lap.

"onto" her lap

Usually I kept my own confidence, by he was the closest to me in by age, and I felt that I could trust him.

“It was a dirty trick.”

As he's confronting Morgan years later, it would be better to say, "That" rather than "It"

“What was?” demurely continuing with the meal.

Add something like "She replied" or "She asked"

Plot

Okay, now I'm getting the the plot you outlined in the prologue and I can guess where this is heading. I was impressed about the plot in the prologue, I more impressed about the plot with this chapter. Well done. It's quite intriguing. But I did get confused about this chapter. Because in this chapter, we deal with a little boy, but every time Morgan answers one his question, you have written a paragraph about the thoughts of the boy on that answer. But for me, a little boy cannot think up to that extent. Please clarify this.

Descriptions

You have a nice intermix of dialogue and description, and I'm glad of that. I could imagine the general background while still keeping my mind on your story and that's one of the hardest things to achieve when writing a story. You have achieved that, and I urge you to develop this skill more.

Character description

I'm not sure whom I'm following in this story, but please be sure to add a physical description so that your character won't be a faceless person in each chapter.

Overall

It's was a well written chapter, but please clarify the point I mentioned under the "plot"

Good luck :D

-C-
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

136 Reviews

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 pm
Leahweird says...

I've fixed up the grammer. I also adressed some of your points on the plot. Hopefully it makes a little more sense, but I will probably have to go back and do a rewrite. I'm going to push on for now. The next chapter will finnally stop being so mysterious. Thanks again!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 am
View Likes
titikemp says...

You're a really good writer! I love this time period, and although i was a little confused, i think that was your intention. I just had to say that it was REALLY good.
“Miracles only happen to people who don’t give up!” –Ivan

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:04 pm
Woot says...

While I commend you for taking on Camelot and knights and kings, this story was just really bland. You have written a story that is at least in part related to King Arthur and his knights at the road table, this subject is interesting, not to mention mystical and magical. You have a lot to work with here, but this story is boring. It has no spice, no something special. I will try and suggest somethings that might help change that. Final say is up to you, of course

It sort of read like an infodump. Through dialogue and your MC's reflections, you were telling the reader what he needed to know. We now know that your MC is not King Lot's son, but is King Arthur's, and that King Arthur tried to kill him. All of that is interesting stuff, however, you need to find a better way to tell us, instead of just telling us through some average dialogue. The best way to do this is to show us what's going on.

To do this, you will need to do scene work. For example, you start the story with your MC in Morgan's lap. You could build that into a scene. Try and put the reader in the scene with your character, let us experience the scene with them. Be descriptive. Detail body language, tone of voice, setting, your MC's five-years old thoughts. While you do tell us about your MC thoughts, you do it in a retrospective way and with distance, and that breaks up the story and drains the spunk out of it. Stay in the moment with your character. Feel what your character felt throughout, and then write it down. It will make your piece longer, and infinitely more interesting.

If you do this kind of scene work throughout your piece, I think the pay off will be excellent. Other places where I think you could do scene work include: a scene the characterizes Morgan as a witch, a scene that shows King Arthur attempting murder, and a scene that shows King Lot's disdain for your MC. Instead of telling us all these things through dialogue and summary, you get to show us.

For more tips and such I might checkout these articles:
Show and Tell by CastlesInTheSky
Summary vs. Scene by Teague.

I am assuming this story takes place in a far away medieval town, a nice setting for a story like this. I would describe it, detail the atmosphere a bit. I am not familiar with medieval towns, and would be interested to know a little bit more about them. If you provide us with a little context of when and where this story takes place it will certainly add to this piece. If you haven't already I might research some of the lore and history of King Arthur's knights and round table. It might give you a good base from which to write this story.

You have a good idea it seems, and that is a great starting point. If you just keep writing your work will get better and better. If you have any comments or questions feel free to drop me a note on my wall or via PM!

w
Last edited by Woot on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

136 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:57 pm
Leahweird says...

Thank you for your comments. It is true that these few early scenes are more about getting information out than actaully adding to the story. I have now reached the point where I can actually tell the story, so hopefully I can address these issues. Showing vs. telling is a problem I have, so any time that comes up I know I still have to improve.

Reviews: 2
Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 am
831abrokengirl says...

Wonderful, simply wonderful. The vocabulary is rich and the plot interesting. One of the few that can actually keep my attention. Can't wait to read more. Great job and keep writing.

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
— Aristotle