z

Young Writers Society

Searching Chapter 1 (Part 2)

Reviews: 4
Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:59 am
ShadowComet says...

As he said this I thought jeez, that went fast.
“Whoops, false alarm. I had you there for a second there didn’t I?” he said with a smile on his face. “From the look on your face, I did. Man that was funny!.”
“You have got to be kidding me. You are bleeping kidding me. That was all just a joke?”, I said.
“See there the face is again.”
“You can shut up now and tell me more of what I need to know.” , I said, exasperated with his dry humor. I mean, come on. He is the all mighty sun god of Egypt, and here he is joking at my expense. What is he, a comedian.
“Hey, can we re-watch that memory of you getting hit in the head again.”, he said eagerly. “I’ll even put it up on the big screen.”
“We have a big screen?”
“You do now.”, he said with a grin. As I saw him begin to work his magic (literally), I was amazed so right there and then, I knew I was going to train myself to that level. His gaze turned to a recently created clearing, and and he tensed up. I felt a shift in energies that were around us, and a flat screen jumbo TV faded in. I saw his lack of exhaustion, and even though it was a huge feat, it looked to me like he had hardly ran for a small amount of time.
The television turned on, even though there was no power source. The TV itself was pretty basic for a flat screen. It was black, side speakers attached, and fresh from the metaphorical box. The only thing different about it from the ordinary flat screen was the logo, which was the Eye of Horus in a rainbow of colors that were constantly changing, like a lava lamp. What was showing on it was the same thing I saw in my vision. Same satyr bound in chains, same naiad and igneous being his executioner, scythe and all. What was new was that we were looking from a side view, those same characters with their same weapons. Only difference was that they were coming at me. Then the camera angle zoomed in on the me in the scene, in front of a portal of which I was about to travel through. Then something brown and wooden flew in and hit the TV me in the head.
Ra cackled like an old man, “Instant replay! Ouch, by the way.” We re-watched that part eight times, then ten times more in slow motion.
We sat in some recliners nearby and just laughed our heads off. As we calmed down, I asked, “So what exactly hit me? The only thing I know is that it was made of wood.”
“I actually don’t know for sure. Your guess is as good as mine.”, he replied honestly. I knew that his response was honest because after I asked, his grin faded.
“What is next, since we have extra time.”, I said, “Its not like I’m going anywhere.”
“Onto combat training, of course.”, he answered. He signaled me with a hand towards an opening in the wall. I then began walking with him having a casual conversation with him about my abilities. We then walked into a room with padded walls. There were many torch marks, areas covered with salt that hadn’t been picked up from melting ice, tears in the padding, holes that were made of pure shadow, splinters and twigs, an empty pizza box, and plenty of sand. The twigs and empty pizza box made no sense, but then again I was in a building in my mind with an Egyptian god and no personal memory, so I decided to ask him later. We then passed through an open door on the far end of the room, and saw a wide array of weapons, from wooden clubs to, I kid you not, a missile launcher.
“ So I’m assuming that I can choose whatever weapon of mass destruction I want from here.”, I stated.
“Yes, but I would recommend the khopesh, the longsword, the short sword, or the wooden staff. If you are going with the blade, I could give you a shield, or you could summon it yourself. Same principal as the fire, just no emotions. Know what you want, channel the energy into the thought and hey presto, instant item.” I decided to create my own item. I started with his first recommendation. I created a crescent shaped blade in my mind, and focused some of my will into that thought. Then I decided to experiment, and have it catch fire, freeze to ice, run with lightning, and create sand pits and turn anything the blade cuts into sand upon my will. Sadly, I could only make the last one work. Then that same blade appeared in my hand, and I know my experimentation with it worked because I slashed a creature Ra had summoned out of the blue, and it became the contents of an hourglass. “Well done. I knew you would try your own summoning, even with your own little touches.” , Ra said shortly after the creature had died.
“Thanks. I saw all the sand and assumed that a spell I had in that earlier life that could create sand or turn things into it.”, I replied.
“Now let’s move on to the lesson.” he said, “I am going to summon a simple creature, a lot like the creature you destroyed with fire, and the only difference is that it will have a blade. The first will defend your blows. The next will fight a different way. Then the next will learn from the first two, and so on and so forth.”
I began training. The batodobster he summoned was a leafy green rather than a earthy brown. It only had a dagger and some leather armor. I felt a weight come over my body, and I looked down and finally noticed that I was wearing a breastplate, gauntlets, boots, and pants covered in sandstone, and the sandstone itself appeared to be shifting like sands in a sandstorm. The creature charged, it’s blade raised to attack me. I caught the blade in the curve of my own, and then I slashed at it’s blade, which had gone down to defend it’s body. Steel rang on metal coated sandstone, and the batodobster’s blade disintegrated into sand that was less desert like and more like the sand you can find at the beach. Then the creature raised it’s arms in defense from further damage, and then I struck. The batodobster slowly turned into a sand statue. After it was done changing, I tapped it with my index finger, and it fell into a pile of sand. Every training battle afterward went the same way. The only difference was that anytime I slipped up and got cut by the blade, Ra shouted out what I messed up, and I shortly fixed it. By the time I was finished, I had only a few cuts and scrapes.
“Good work,” , he said, “By the time we are done, you will have the techniques mastered in your mind. You just may not be able to use said techniques due to physically because your body is not trained.”
“So all the battles I just fought were for nothing?”, I gasped, tired from all the battling.
He told me, “Not nothing. You need to have the mental ability to wield a blade properly. Otherwise it would just be you swinging around a large knife.”
“Ah, so I couldn’t have just done it when I was outside my mind?” , I asked.
“Huh. You know, I never even thought about that.” , he said, “I suppose that it works better to get the skills in your mind, but not the training. Anyway, what would you like to do next? If you ask me how to get out of here, I will show you to your room and you can get some sleep and then you will return to reality. Remember that the longer you stay in here, the more days you are asleep in the real world. I would recommend that you rest soon.”
“That sounds like a good idea.”, I said. I was exhausted.
“Great! Then I’ll show you to your room.”, he said, as if he were a hotel bell hop. I expected him to say shortly after that phrase, would you like me to take your suitcase? “Follow me.” He led us back into the library, and up a spiral staircase to a hallway with a good amount of doors. As he led me down the hall. I noticed that each door I passed was different. “Don’t open those doors.”, he said. One door was made of ice with water flowing within it. The one across the hall from the ice one was made of molten rock, the veins of lava still pulsing. Further down the hall were two doors that were across from each other. One was made of logs, such as a cabin mad of logs. The one across from it was made of fogged glass, which was odd. What was odd was that the fogged glass was just glass filled with fog. Then we passed a bathroom, which was more like a miniature spa. It came equipped with a steam room, sauna, hot tub, massage rooms with the tables, and many varieties of soap. That was only one half of it. The rest was like your average bathroom.
“Ohh, a spa. Allow me to relax for a while.”, I said, eager to relax in the steam room and hot tub.
“Fine.”, he said, obviously jealous, “ Just remember that we are on a time frame.” I then decided to relax in the steam room, which smelled of eucalyptus leaves. I stayed in there for five minutes, and then relaxed in the hot tube. The jets from the hot tub relaxed my muscles and worked out my knots that were in my arms. After I was done, I went back to the hall and Ra lead me to my room, which was one of the ancient pyramid tomb entrances. It was made of yellow limestone and had hieroglyphics carved into the door. I opened the door by pressing in on the hieroglyphic for open. “I am impressed. I didn’t think that you would figure it out so easily.”, Ra said.
The room I walked into was large enough to house a queen size bed, a desk with a laptop, monitor and speakers that could connect to the laptop. Then there was an entire wall made into a giant bookshelf, and it held everything from scraps of papyrus to tombs the size of a dictionary of all languages ( there literally was a book with that name.) Another wall was lined with equipment ranging between staves and wands to swords, chests, and alchemical equipment. Next to the bed was a safe made of solid sand. I didn’t want to touch the safe, because the sands were moving fast enough to take the flesh off my bones.
I must have been so busy looking around the room that when Ra spoke, I jumped out of my skin. “Well, here is your room. Once you fall asleep, you will wake up in the real world. I see that you saw the safe. You can only open it when you are ready.”
“What is inside?”, I asked.
“Your best abilities. You have all ready been able to access some of it’s contents. The fire spell, the summoning spell, both of those spells were from it. What you can do is only a fraction as powerful as what is inside.” He kept on speaking of the abilities, but after he told me what it held, I could only sense the power. He then yawned loudly, “Well, I will talk to you later. Good morning.”
“Don’t you mean night?”
“Not for you.”, he said. I then climbed into the bed, and slept.
Last edited by ShadowComet on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" Everybody dies. Thats just the way it is."-George from Dead Like Me

Reviews: 0
Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 am
lonewolf1997 says...

I love your work it's really good

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg