z

Young Writers Society

Prologue

Reviews: 4
Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:12 pm
crmcgill says...

Dearest Diary,
Tomorrow is to be my wedding! I am not yet sure how I feel about this. I have been betrothed to the High Prince, Oberon, since my first birthday. I should be used to this idea, right? I still cannot help feeling that this is somehow wrong. This is, after all, the 14th century. Perhaps I should be choosing my own husband.
But there is so much more to this than just an arranged marriage with the future High King of the Seelie Court. Oberon is one of my best friends. Our parents didn%u2019t want us to meet each other until our wedding day. But we have fooled them. Every day, when the sun is setting, we meet on the banks of the Shannon River. It just seems wrong to be forced to marry my best friend. Tis not that I don%u2019t love him. I am just not sure if my feelings are toward a brother or a future husband.
Oh, I must stop thinking about this. I have tried to suppress myself from thinking of it, but I slip up sometimes, and it only makes me cry.
I should instead be thinking of my life after we are married. I will no longer have the blue wings of a healer. They will turn lavender, and along with the color change, I will lose my healing abilities. I am not sure what unique and strange power will come to me, but I hope it is a good one.
And besides the powers, I will move into new quarters. I will have many green-winged servants to help me. I will have a closet of royal clothes and a golden crown. Listen to me, I sound like any other spoiled brat. I should be thinking about being the best High Queen ever, except maybe High Queen Aine, Oberon%u2019s grandmother. She is over a thousand years old and is dying. She single-handedly raised Oberon when his mother and father both died. She is the greatest ruler that Avalon has ever had.
I had heard stories of what was happening when she was born. The Seelie and Unseelie Courts were being kept as slaves by a much bigger and more powerful tribe of fairies, called the Tuatha de Danaan. They were told to be barbarians, for they spoke to the animals and then killed them for furs. I have heard that they used to even eat animals. All that they ever wanted to do was fight and work their slaves to death. Their slaves had learned to weave the non-sticky threads from spider webs into a soft, durable, and warm cloth called spider silk.
When Queen Aine was just ten years old, the revolution began. The slaves all hid sharp pieces of flint under their mats to use as weapons. Since the Tuatha de Danaan was just clever enough to separate the children and adults, The Queen had to take on all the children as their leader at ten. They organized an uprising with the adults by scratching messages into flint rocks that they passed among themselves. In a very bloody battle, both of the Courts won their freedom, completely obliterating the Tuatha de Danaan.
Since then, we have parted ways. In the last few years, there has even been some talk of going to war with the Unseelie. They live on Torc Mountain, a cold and forbidding place that has virtually no food or other resources. We live in a tree at the bottom of a valley and they want to live like us. I have not heard much, but I have heard that there is talk of an invasion. This will probably be something that Oberon and I will have to work out after we get married.
But tonight, my goal is to not stress about my wedding too much. Perhaps being married to him will be the push we both need to see each other in that light. I have a small celebration with my friends at the Fairy Circle tonight. A sort of bachelorette party. There will be dancing, music, and perhaps we will bring in a human to dance with us. It will be great fun!
Even though you are only a book, wish me the best of luck tomorrow. I am going to need it.
--- Soon-To-Be High Queen Titania

I set down my wooden pen that dripped in blackberry ink. After changing into a peach colored dress, I flit out of my rooms into the main hall. I must be silent about this, for I do not want Oberon to catch me leaving. My party is not exactly supposed to happen. The Elders Council has forbidden us from dancing the night away with humans. They say that it just makes the humans speak about us.
The Council has some very strange rules regarding the Humans. For example- For unknown reasons, the Master Elder does not like Humans to call us fairies. Everybody else it fine with them calling us what we are, but he gets angry about it. Because of this, Humans have many different nicknames for us. The Hidden People, The Wee Folk, The Fair Folk, and most popularly, The Good People, are all examples of silly things Humans call us.
One other rule that seems to take a physical effect on us is that we cannot capture a Human if he sticks his knife in the door frame. This is an irrational and confusing rule, but we follow it because we seem physically incapable of closing the door if a Human does this.
But, enough of thinking about complicated laws. Tonight is a time to celebrate! I am getting married to my best friend tomorrow. Then I will have enough power to make my own laws.
Last edited by crmcgill on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open the gates and seize the day! Don't be afraid and don't delay.

To die would be an awfully big adventure.

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Just call me Gill!

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 pm
wtbh says...

This is a good story that you have going right now. Looking forward to reading more by you. It's very exciting and fun. Extremely enjoyable to read. You have quite the act for creativity. You left me with questions in my head, and that's more than always a good thing in a book. Again, can't say this enough, but really good. Can't wait to read more. Keep it up!!!

~wtbh

Reviews: 4
Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm
crmcgill says...

Thank you so much for this review. The actual book is not set in the 1300's but in the now time, as I choose to call it. Keep reading, I will post more!
Open the gates and seize the day! Don't be afraid and don't delay.

To die would be an awfully big adventure.

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Just call me Gill!

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how.
— Friedrich Nietzsche