Young Writers Society

The Confusing Life of Lucy Lovette - Chp 1

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 am
EvensLily says...

Chapter One: The Beginning

Sweat was dripping, everywhere.
“Keep going, whatever you do keep going” I thought to myself blinking back tears. My body was aching. I wouldn’t last any much longer, I was going to faint. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.
“Come on, just a few more bars... Lucy don’t you dare stop now!” and with a sigh of relief the music stopped playing. I would have collapsed there and then if it wasn’t for the peering eyes of my dance tutor. Miss big beak raven. She was called this because of her long crocked nose, pointed features and greasy black hair that was always pulled up in a tight bun at the back of her head. How I hate her!
“Better” Miss Raven sneered “but still not good enough” She turned directly at me and shook her head.
“If I don’t see some improvement next time Miss Lucy Lovett I will see to it that you do not perform next week...en Pointe next time girls” The whole class went into protest. En Pointe consisted of your feet being pushed into a shoe which made you feet constantly pointed. My feet had never bled more in my life.
“If you can’t take the graceful art of ballet then get out of my classroom!” Miss Raven shouted. Nobody moved.
“That’s what I thought, now go!” I immediately ran to get a drink scared I was going to die of dehydration. I knew I had to drink more but to be honest I always seemed to be busy with something... Maths Tutor, French Tutor, Latin Tutor, Ballet lessons, Singing tutor, Piano lessons, violin lessons and guitar and that’s not even mentioning the school work that seemed to be piling up on my desk at home. I flung my pink ballet pineapple bag over my back and headed towards the door. I would have to change in the car before heading to my singing teacher... the only thing I really enjoyed. As I looked over my shoulder Penny a lovely dark-skinned girl from my school looked exhausted.
“Why does she have to be so...” Penny sneered looking around her shoulder to beak lady.
“Raven like?” I answered. Penny laughed and headed towards her dad waving. I stood on my very tip toes looking through the crowd that was forming around the door.
“Where’s dad?” I thought internally to myself, dad had never been late for anything in his life. “First for everything I suppose”
Then it just got ridiculous. Three hours late. Something had happened. Not to mention I had missed my singing and guitar lesson.
“What are you still doing here?” Mrs Raven complained. “I’m shutting up now, I want to go home” She eyed Lucy very carefully and shrugged. “You can wait outside” she concluded.
“Outside! But miss look at the rain! It’s poring it down” Miss big beak looked outranged.
“OUT OUT OUT!” She shouted, pushing me towards the door leading to the storm. I huffed and watched as Miss big beak shut the door in my face and I was to be literally soaked in about two minutes. I turned quickly as a big Mercedes Benz rolled into view and honked. I ran towards the door as it opened automatically for me.
“Dad, thank gosh where have you been?” I asked looking down at my awfully wet clothes that were becoming suddenly uncomfortable in the warm car.
“Sorry Luce I got... err... held up” he answered carefully.
“Okay...” I replied. Dad normally told me everything; it was mum that was a pain in the arse... why was he suddenly concealing something from me now?
“Listen Lucy, do you need to tell me anything before we get home?” He asked worryingly.
“No” I answered bemused. I couldn’t be in trouble could I? I had never done anything wrong... that I was sure of. The car pulled up towards the seven bed roomed mansion and took a mile of gravel before finally pulling up around the fountain.
“Thank you Vernon” The young man smiled and took the keys of father. Vernon was a pubescent, annoying, pathetic and stupid type butler thing. He needed money for collage so Father had given him a Job but I bet father was regretting it. Father bent down towards him and whispered something into his ear. I couldn’t quite hear what he said but it sounded like “is he still here?” Vernon gave a slow nod. Father signed and gave Vernon his pay.
“Go home early” Father simply said and gestured me towards the house. Everything seemed pretty normal. As I walked into living room 1 or as mum liked to call it the drawing-room. I mean I didn’t see the point in that. No one drew in that room! Mum had her white (not blond) hair in a sophisticated bun at the back of her head. She was wearing a tight black and white pencil skirt and a white blouse. As I looked up to her face there was mascara running down her face. Obvious sign of crying, God what had I done. Mum rushed out of her seat and came to hug me.
“Oh *sniffles* Lucy I-I-I’m so sorry *sniffles* I-I-I should have realised”
“Realised what mum?” I asked. Father took mums hand and led her slowly away up to their favourite couch by the fire. I was about to sit in my seat when I realised that I did I would be sitting on someone. A child or a man? No, it was defiantly a man. His full moustache filled up most of his top lip. He was wearing a funny looking suite and striped trousers, his glasses fell slumped down his nose and his lively expression looked warmly. My mouth nearly fell open. This was normally the opposite of what my mum had round this house. She wouldn’t normally be friendly with anyone who wasn’t rich or didn’t judge in one of her dog competitions but keeping in mind he may just be a judge. Judges wear the funniest of things these days.
“Why! This must be Lucy Lovett! It is incredibly nice to meet you. I hear from your father that you sing” His enthusiasm was slightly unnerving. I felt myself go hot as he asked me to sing for him, which of course I refused to do.
“Luce sweet, this is Professor Flitwick. He has something, I think, he wants to give you” father spoke warmly but with caution.
My mum suddenly squeaked “Are you sure, are you absolutely positive?” Professor Flitwick signed and looked at my mother.
“I am absolutely positive Mrs Lovett I assure you” He turned his attention back to me. “Now, I am wondering whether you would be kind enough, Miss Lovett, to read this letter” He went into his suite and pulled out an envelope. In clear green ink it stated:

Miss Lucy Lovett
Airfield Park
Cambridge

I felt the dense paper in my hand. As I turned I saw some sort of Badge or embalm that stated something in Latin. I was suddenly glad for my Latin Tutor.
“Excuse me sir but does this say a sleeping dragon is never to be tickled?”
“I’m impressed, that is what is says yes. May I ask how do you know that?” I opened my mouth to answer but someone else’s voice came out.
“She has a Latin Tutor, very clever is our little girl” Mum sobbed. Professor Flitwick smiled slightly and nodded to the rest of the letter.

Dear Miss Lovett,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Students shall be required to report to the chamber of reception upon arrival, the dates for which shall be duty advised.
Please ensure that the utmost attention be made to the list of requirements attached herewith.
We very much look forward to receiving you as part of the new generation of Hogwarts Heritage.
Yours Sincerely
Professor Slughorn
DEPUTY HEAD

“I’m sorry but I don’t think I understand” I asked looking at Professor Flitwick for clearance. This had to be an utter load of nonsense. Magic didn’t exist but a very important line kept repeating itself in my head. “Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry”.
“Lucy” Professor Flitwick summoned “Think back, Think back really hard. Have you ever seen something happen you thought was just a trick of light or just you’re over reactive imagination?” I just stood rooted to the spot staring at professor Flitwick.
1. The Light in my room automatically switches itself on when I walk in
2. A in Latin test I never studied for
3. Got Angry with Miss Beck face and she smashed the glass in her hand
And that was only the last couple of days.
“The answer to everything” the deepest part of my mind whispered “is lying right in your hand” I stared at professor Flitwick.
“Ahhh” Professor Flitwick smiled “Hogwarts is a school where you can learn to use and control your gift it is a place where Witches like yourself become great” Mother had broken down into more sobs when she heard the word Gift.
“How do I know this is not some mean old prank?” I asked “I mean the probability of magic being real is-” I was suddenly cut off by the Grand Piano as broke into chorus of the entertainer without anybody pressing the keys.
“I must confess that is the only Muggle song I bothered to learn. It is very good don’t you think” I stared at him blankly.
“I am the choir director at Hogwarts. I am also Charms master and head of Ravenclaw house. One of the four houses at the school but we should talk about that another time. I suppose a Ministry of Magic official should be coming in the morning to talk you through something’s and speaking of the Ministry of Magic. I was only supposed to stay for a couple of hours I’ve been what? Four and a half deary me deary me! Where did all the time go huh?” Professor Flitwick smiled yet again.
“On the matter of time, Lucy it is nearly eleven o’clock at night, I think it was time you were getting to bed” Father stated in an exhausted voice
“Yes, I should head off. Nighty Night everybody” Professor Flitwick cheerily said, waving to me. Mum stood up and straightened out her hair.
“I suppose I should show you out” She asked politely.
“No, no madam the Fireplace is all I need; I carry Floo Powder around for exactly this reason”
“The fire-what?” Mum wondered. Professor Flitwick stood up. He was only parley up to my knee. He waddled over to the fireplace and stood inside.
“It’s the beauty of being so small you see, I can use the Floo powder network from anywhere because I’m small enough to fit... MINISTRY OF MAGIC” his voice boomed and before I knew it green flames gulped through him and my mum’s high pitched scream filled my ears.
Write and Smile people! X

Always do what you are afraid to do.
— E. Lockhart, We Were Liars