z

Young Writers Society

A Love Story in Volterra

Reviews: 3
Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:56 pm
MiniAliceSciuto says...

"Come on, Alice," my sister Cynthia moaned. I was gazing at a beautiful dress in the window of a small shop in Volterra. I loved shopping, and I had fallen in love with the breathtaking city. Our parents had left me in charge of my sister as we went exploring. We walked to the clock tower.
"It's so beautiful," I breathed. Cynthia wasn't interested; she found stuff like this boring. A woman, whose beauty stopped anyone from looking away, approached us.
"Hello girls," she smiled, flashing a set of dazzling teeth, "There’s a tour of this wonderful building, beginning in five minutes. Would you like to join us?”
I couldn't look away from her, and by the looks of it, Cynthia couldn't either. I nodded, smiling. How could I refuse? She put her hands on our backs and gently pushed us towards a crowd of people. Our parents were there too. I felt awkward, as I was acting like I had a crush on the stunningly beautiful woman, when my mind was filled with jealousy.
We walked through the amazing halls, struck by the architecture, but I got strong sense of foreboding hit me as the tour guide opened the door to a huge hall. Three men sat on throne like chairs, and all of them had papery, translucent skin. Like our tour guide, they were all strikingly attractive. Two of them had dark hair, but the other’s was dazzling white, almost as white as his skin. As I looked around the room, I saw all the people that seemed to have been expecting us. All of them owned the same blood red irises. I slowly moved back to the back of the crowd.
All the papery skinned, extraordinarily beautiful people approached us, picking out the people they wanted. They sank their teeth into their necks, some of them snapping their necks before they bit them. We all screamed, trying desperately trying to escape. I saw one of these cannibals holding back, his skin more solid and opaque than the others, with honey blonde curls framing his face beautifully. Another man was behind him, his hand on the honey blonde's shoulder. He had a lighter blonde colour hair, but they both shared the same golden eye colour. The honey blond was staring at me, and occasionally, both of them would look over to the cannibals who seemed to be drinking the victim's blood, and shake his head.
I was watching my family die in agony. My sister was lying motionless, her blood been drained by a small blonde girl. My mom and dad were taken by the two men sitting on thrones with dark hair. I was one of few left. Not for long. The two golden eyed men were watching me. Before I could do anything, I was dragged back by my neck, causing me to scream in terror. The white haired leader had claimed me as his prey.
"No," the honey blonde murmured as I started screaming with the pure agony of the teeth in my neck. I was struggling, desperate to get free, when my attacker took his teeth from my neck. With one strong jerk, he made my neck explode with pain, cutting my screams short. He had snapped my neck. I was alive, but I couldn't move or do anything. The pain was unbearable. I closed my eyes, feeling dizzy with the lack of blood, but I was suddenly thrown to the ground. The honey blonde had thrown my attacker aside, and his blonde friend was helping. He felt my wrist with one cold hand, trying to feel a pulse.
"She's alive," he told the honey blonde. I opened my eyes and stared at the honey blonde's beautiful face. I wanted to hold my hand up to him, and I wanted him to take it.
"Stop them!" a harsh voice ordered. The honey blonde lifted me into his arms, supporting my head with a chilling, but gentle grip. He and the blonde ran out of the building not seeming to notice that blood was still pouring from my neck.
"We need to stop the bleeding, Jasper," the blonde told the honey blonde, who had just been identified as Jasper. Jasper stroked my face, causing me to flinch.
"She's so pale, Carlisle, and she’s so cold," he said. They found a quiet alleyway and laid me down.
"Be careful with her neck, it's broken in many places," he touched my neck gently, and I whimpered in reply. Jasper comforted me, stroking my hair gently.
"It's OK, darlin', you'll be alright," he soothed. He took my hand, and to my shock it was freezing cold.
"We need to change her, there's no other way of saving her. She's lost too much blood and her neck...We can't fix it. The venom can,” Carlisle said quietly. Jasper didn't let go of my hand.
"This will hurt, my love. Don’t be afraid, we’re looking after you," he whispered softly in my ear. I was in enough pain as it was, but I couldn't do anything to get away. Carlisle lifted my other arm, and bit my wrist. I cried out, but I felt a strange calming feeling overwhelm me. However reassuring it felt, it didn't sooth the pain. Carlisle moved to my neck, sinking his teeth into my skin. Jasper stroked my short, wild hair.
I felt as if there was a fire was raging through me, and it didn’t help when Carlisle bit the wrist Jasper was holding. After the bite, Jasper gently kissed the wound.
"Hush now, sweetheart," Jasper murmured as I was propped up on Jasper's legs. He stroked my face and hair as I closed my eyes, drowsiness overcoming me.
"That's it, darlin’, you sleep. You’re safe now," he leaned forward, kissing me gently on my lips. I had only known him a few minutes, but already I was in love with him.
Three Days Later
"Carlisle, is she alright? It's been three days..." Jasper asked. I was relieved to hear his voice again. I had been in a long, dreamless sleep. I took a breath, but I didn't feel I had to. I opened my eyes, dazzled by the sharper colours. I blinked, and Jasper smiled. I gasped as I noticed his face, especially his jaw, ravaged with bites. I rapidly moved back, my instincts screaming for me to run.
"What are you? What am I? What happened? Why am I so thirsty?" I whimpered. Jasper hushed me and wrapped his arms around me. I felt safe there, and so I cuddled into him.
"It's alright. You're safe,” he soothed. Feeling safer than I had ever felt in my life, I leaned on the honey blond, watching the sun set into the earth.
"You held out your hand, and I took it without stopping to make sense of what I was doing. For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope."

92 Reviews

Reviews: 92
Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:43 pm
View Likes
anna91423 says...

This is really amazing. I love your style of writing.
Just nit-picking here but I didn't really feel much emotion from Alice when she's talking about her human family. Did you do this in purpose to contrast how easily she fit in with Jasper and Carlisle, her new family, to show she was always destined for that life?
The other bit that annoyed me were "the blonde told the honey blonde" I think repetition of "honey blonde was nice but you could've chosen a different feature to use when describing Carlisle. That is just opinion, feel free to totally ignore me!

Other than that, really great. I am definitely impressed. I particularly loved the start,
""Come on, Alice," my sister Cynthia moaned. I was gazing at a beautiful dress in the window of a small shop in Volterra. I loved shopping, and I had fallen in love with the breathtaking city. Our parents had left me in charge of my sister as we went exploring. We walked to the clock tower.
"It's so beautiful," I breathed. Cynthia wasn't interested; she found stuff like this boring. A woman, whose beauty stopped anyone from looking away, approached us.
"Hello girls," she smiled, flashing a set of dazzling teeth, "There%u2019s a tour of this wonderful building, beginning in five minutes. Would you like to join us?%u201D"
So creepy, lol. Love it! xxx
"Books are the ultimate dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they will always love you back." John Green

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." Stephen Chbosky

Reviews: 3
Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 pm
MiniAliceSciuto says...

Thanks Anna ^^
I wrote this ages ago, I did improve it as best I could (my grammar would terrible, and some of it was just bad :P ) but the honey blonde part I had no idea how to improve on :P
And the emotion thing..I'll be honest I never thought of XD But I am writing the next chapter (this started off as a one-shot, but I decided to continue it), and there is some emotion towards her human family then. :)
"You held out your hand, and I took it without stopping to make sense of what I was doing. For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope."

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:23 am
writingangel24xx says...

Hi! I think that you write well, and this is interesting, but I have a few suggestions. Try not to use cliche words and phrases, and really think out-of-the-box to find those unique, sensory details that really jump of the page. Other than that, I think the story line is unique. Keep writing!

There's a Brazilian things you could write about. You just gotta pick Juan.
— Hattable