z

Young Writers Society

Freeing A Caged Bird (A Naruto Fan-Fic)- Chapter One

Reviews: 4
Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:31 pm
View Likes
Kei says...

Before you read, just a quick word from me- I haven't written in forever. So I apologize if it's a bit choppy, there are grammatical errors (though there shouldn't be) and it's just plain... off. I'm still trying to get back into the groove of things. So I would appreciate reviews to tell me what I need to improve on, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc. I know it's kind of long, but bear with me!

Also, for those of you who are still new to Naruto/forget what the Kurama clan is able to do, they are skilled genjutsu users, and, to get straight to the point, can be so powerful they can actually kill their opponents with their illusions. This will be helpful in later chapters.

“As of today, you are all ninjas.”

Those were the most rewarding words I had ever heard in my life. It had taken pretty well all of my existence- thirteen years- to prepare for that moment. And I had done it. I had done it. It had been hard- I had struggled with numerous techniques, I had been picked on and bullied, I had fallen many times- but I had always gotten back up and tried again.

And now to think I was here, so soon after, at the Chunin Exams, with my team-mates, Kiba and Hinata. We had made it this far together. And though we often had disagreements- minor fallouts between Kiba and I regarding the leader of the group- It wasn't an accomplishment to be taken lightly.

“Are you excited?” Kiba asked me after the third match and preliminary battles had been explained, Akamaru squirming with anticipating in his parka. “We passed that test with flying colors and were among the first few groups to return the scrolls to the tower. We'll kick butt!”

I grinned at his obvious eagerness as the three of us- he, Hinata and I- climbed the stairs to the viewing area. The two people chosen to fight below us stepped out into the arena and took up a fighting stance.

“Yes,” I said. “I am. There's no doubt we'll win.”

Hinata, who had been silent the whole time, cast her suddenly unsure gaze to mine. “I... I'm not feeling the best.”

Kiba scoffed. “You'll do great. Use that healing thing you brought with you.”

“But I was planning to give that to-”

“-Use it,” I cut in, getting annoyed at her lack of enthusiasm. “You will win your match.”

“That's the kind of talk we want to hear,” Kiba said, smiling at me. “We'll do great. No questions asked.”

Hinata stared at her feet.

“Now, don't be too hard on your teammate, you two,” a strong voice reprimanded us. We glanced back over our shoulders. Kurenai-sensei stood behind us, her eyes soft, but her voice harsh.

I resisted the urge to sigh and counter back. “I- uh, we apologize, Kurenai-sensei. But she was not in the best of spirits. She didn't seem sure of herself for her future battle. We felt the need to cheer her on.”

The woman looked down at me, her gaze now stern. “Kei, there is a difference between cheering on and tormenting.”

“We were far from tormenting,” I insisted, glaring. “We just wanted to-”

“-You will not argue with me,” Kurenai-sensei admonished, silencing me. “You must learn to control your smug sense of superiority. Hailing from Kurama clan does not make you above anyone else.”

I frowned and pretended to concentrate on the battle going on below us. I felt a slight blast of air against my back, and she was gone.

“Must she be so demanding?” I grumbled, clenching my hands at my sides. “So I come from the Kurama clan. I'm not trying to be better than anyone else.”

Kiba smirked and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. “We know you're not trying to. But you do enjoy a good argument, and with a sensei, that isn't the smartest thing in the world.”

“But she was wrong.”

“We know you're a skilled genjutsu user; that's what the Kurama clan is known for, and that's why you've been put with us, because both Hinata and I aren't the best in genjutsu. But for your sake, I recommend you stop trying to outdo Kurenai-sensei. She wants the best for you. You know that.”

“Yes, but...”

“Kei,” Kiba said. I could hear a trace of a smile in his voice. “Just calm down.”

I took a deep breath and felt my anger slowly drain away. The fight below the viewing area, where we were standing, had ended; the screen on the wall proclaimed the next two people to battle.

I watched as a member from a clan unknown to me made his way down and took his place in the arena, in front of the ref. There was a blur to my right as a boy, who had been standing not far away from me, leapt down and stood opposite of his opponent, taking on a fighting stance. It was hard to see what he looked like from far away, but his hair was long and tied back a few inches above the end, and he wore bandages around his right arm and leg. There was something about him that was intriguing, but I wasn't able to put my finger on it.

Though his back was to me, he lowered his head for a moment, his hands clasped in front of him, and yelled something I couldn't make out, due to the chattering around me. Immediately, everyone silenced, like he had a sort of power over them.

“Who's that?” I asked Kiba interestedly, still staring down at the competitors below. I hadn't been paying attention to the screen.

“Neji Hyuga,” he responded absent-mindedly, his eyes glued to the two boys below us.“Supposed to be the best rookie around.”

The referee made the signal, and immediately, the boy's opponent rushed over, grasping his kunai at his waist. The boy skilfully avoided the attack, lunged at his competitor, who was still recovering from the shock of being outdone, and, at an almost inhuman speed, pressed the tips of his fingers into his opponent's stomach. His victim stumbled back, heaved like he was going to throw up, and made another blind dash. Again his advance was dodged and fingertips pressed into his ribcage This repeated several times, not one of them trying a new tactic; until, with no warning, the boy shoved the tips of his fingers into his opponent's chest- where his heart was.

There was a moment of complete and utter silence as the two of them stood there, the boy's fingers still pressed against the right side of the other's chest. Suddenly, his opponent stumbled backwards and slumped to his knees, coughing hard; red beads of liquid trickled down the sides of his mouth and hit the arena floor. The stand-by paramedics rushed in, loaded him onto a stretcher, and rushed out. There was no applause as the referee announced the winner. The boy leapt back up to his spot beside his team-mates- not far from me- and resumed his original position, not panting at all, not a scratch on him.

I studied him quickly out of the corner of my eye; he did not seem pleased with himself, his expression cold and slightly arrogant.

Kiba caught me looking at him and nudged my shoulder playfully. “You see something you like?”

“Shut up,” I hissed. “He might hear you.”

“Oh, so you do-”

I cut him off, elbowing him in the gut. “-No, I don't.”

Without warning, Kiba shoved me forward. I stumbled, and had no choice but to keep walking.

Though his teammates did, the boy didn't so much as look at me as I neared. I tried not to blush.

“Impressive,” I said, trying to keep my voice cool. “You're fast.”

He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye for a few moments, and returned his gaze to the arena, where two new people had been called up. “Thanks.”

I still felt the stare of his comrades as I stood there awkwardly. I couldn't help but notice his eyes- they were unnaturally white, with a light tint of violet to them.

“So...” I said, struggling to find something to say. “...Would you mind explaining to me what that technique was? It seemed as if you barely touched him. I find it fascinating.”

He turned his head towards me and held my gaze; his eyes were haunting. He looked at me for a moment before he said, “It's called Gentle Fist. I focus chakra at my fingertips and inject them into my opponent's chakra system.”

I paused a moment, trying to take all of this in. “But... but how are you able to see the chakra system pathways?”
His eyes were still cold, somewhat bored, as he explained it to me. “Byakugan. It's a kekkei genkai of my clan. I'm able to activate it and deactivate it at will.”

“The Hyuga clan?” I questioned. Hinata had the same featureless eyes as he.

“Yes. How did you know?”

I gestured over my shoulder to my group, who stood behind me. “Hinata's in my team. She must be your cousin or sibling.”

He frowned and cast his eyes down to the arena again. “Cousin. Yes.”

I didn't have the nerve to ask what was wrong, and couldn't help but notice the symbol on his forehead protector. The symbol from the Leaf Village, where I lived. “Why haven't I seen you before? I come from the Village Hidden In The Leaves as well.”

“Though we became genin this year, there are two seperate classrooms in the academy for each age level of students. Each one has a slightly different schedule so they do not interrupt each other.”

“Oh.”

I stood there awkwardly for a few moments, at a lack of words. “So... it was nice talking to you. I'm Kei, of the Kurama clan.”

He glanced back up at me, and his face portrayed curiosity, though he did not question anything. “Neji Hyuga.”

I nodded, grinned as charmingly as I could, and walked back to my group. Hinata was concentrated on the fight that went on below, but Kiba was snickering, and Akamaru, still snuggled in the neck of his parka, was grinning.
“Talking, huh?” he leaned over and whispered in my ear. “How'd it go?”

“I dunno,” I grumbled. “You're the one that pushed me into it.”

“He seems a bit cold.”

“Tell me what you saw.”

Kiba chuckled, amused by my impatience. “I... I dunno. He looked at you the whole time you were talking, and as soon as you mentioned your clan, his eyes lit up, like he was interested. Other than that, he looked bored.”

“You're not much help,” I grumbled.

My comrade broke into a laugh, and I clenched my fists at my side in annoyance. “Sorry, I'm not a girl. I'm not as attentive to this stuff as girls are. You were up there talking to him yourself- you should know!”

“Kiba!” I hissed, punching his solid stomach. “You jerk! Shut your mouth!”

Neji glanced over at us, his expression ever-bored, and returned his gaze to the fight. I felt my cheeks flush.

Kiba's laughter faded into snickers, and he tousled my hair. “Alright, Kei. I'll be quiet.”

I looked over my shoulder and glared daggers at him. “You better.”

So... there it is! I'd appreciate reviews, as I mentioned earlier. I'm always looking to improve!
Last edited by Kei on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kei

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:41 pm
polkadottiger2 says...

Alright, loved the story! I honestly couldn't find anything that I would change, although I don't know much about Naruto. I like how you jump right into things in the start of the story and describe setting and characters as the story continues. The wording in the story is good, as well as word choice. Your characters are portrayed very well, especially Neji. I can't wait to here more about him. Who is he really? How did he become so skilled in the first place? Keep writing!

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:49 pm
View Likes
Kei says...

Hey! Thanks for the review! I haven't checked your profile in a while- needa see if you've posted some more works. I need to know how Pierce is doing. ;)

I was expecting more criticism- but this is awesome! I can honestly say that I feel this may be one of my better fics. You've just made my day. Literally. And you'd know more about him if you watched Naruto... but I can't force you, so... I guess I'll just email you some details. ;)

Chapter Two is soon to come!
-Kei

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:13 am
MariaRowlands says...

O_O'! KEI! THAT WAS AWSOME! how many Naruto episodes have you seen? I have seen all of them.
May The Blood of my Enemies Flow Like Rivers to the Sea

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:16 am
Kei says...

Haha, thank you! ^-^ I'm on the last episode of the original, first Naruto... almost on Shippuden! D:
-Kei

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham