z

Young Writers Society

Assassins Creed - A glitch in the 21st century

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm
MysticalBlood says...

There are actually italics in the original version in required places, but i'm lazy and can't be bothered to actually edit them in. *guilty*.

“How can you not think he was real? Of course he was!” Yelled Anna, cheeks flaming a deep red as she stared down her best friend, Cassy, determined she was ‘right’ and her friend was ‘wrong’.
Cassy frowned, sighed and pushed back her auburn hair, chewing her cheeks as she did so. There was never a time she could actually remember where Anna believed anything she said. Of course, she was stubborn at that, always believing that she’s the wisest of the entire group.
Cassy couldn’t deny that.
But Anna did have a certain obsession of being right. It got a bit tiresome, how she could never admit being anything less than clever. However, it was Anna, and, because she was innocent, smart and clever and everything you’d want to be, you couldn’t be mad at her. She just had that flare about her, that sense of innocence and that ‘it wasn’t me’ look she gave everyone.
“Anna, he’s fictional. The creators came up with his name, his entire background story and life. What, in god’s name, makes you think he’s real?”
Fuming, Anna raised her index finger, widened her eyes and tightened her lips. “He. Is. Real. I’ll prove it to you. I just know I can.”
Rolling her eyes, Cassy shrugged and turned to Luna, who was giggling with Jesse and Claudia. Bob looked pissed off, but had a slight smirk and his shoulders were shaking a bit from possible silent laughter.
“She just can’t admit she’s wrong and I’m right.” Cassy laughed, watching as Anna ruffled her blonde hair and sat in a hump on the banking.
Jesse giggled, sat next to Anna and started to ramble about TV shows and famous actors with Claudia, who folded her knees up and rested her chin on top of them, smiling and nodding along. Bob sat down and talked about the prime minister, and Anna, Luna and Cassy carried on their obsessive discussions.
It was just another normal day… Another normal day where arguments,
Fan-girling, laughing and discussing politics was a regular feature. Cassy figured they could be amazing at ruling the world. That would be pretty good. If the world consisted of crazy teenage girls and people obsessed with their blogs. No facebook with sluts who post half-naked pictures of them, lips pouted and posting rubbish like ‘about to get in the bath’ and ten people like it.
It’s just sad… really… really sad.
Anyway, Bob would be the leader dealing with politics… or whatever… Luna would be in charge of the voting and catchy phrases or whatever it is you do in elections. Claudia would do the whole recommending thing, like:
‘Bob will make no cuts because he cares’. A cheesy slogan like that… you get the idea. Jesse would do all the technology side of things and Anna would do the art work… and… Cassy, well… she would do the… erm…. The other stuff, you know? Whatever needed doing basically?
Of course, that would never happen. Just the thought of everyone’s different affinities for things is brilliant. Everyone’s unique.
They all went to a strict secondary school in a small town called ‘Effersly’; it was one of the places in the UK that no one really knew about. It was not of importance. Not to British society anyway… it used to be, but… well… things change right? People change, crap happens and so forth and life and blah etcetera… the whole deal. They were all in their second to last year, nearly at the end of it as well. Just one more exam to go! It was definitely doing to be the hardest, French…
The whole thing was to talk about your holidays and where you were going and… stuff.
“Oooh, yeah that was brill!” Luna cried, clapping her hands as she talked to Anna about a memory or something. Something Cassy didn’t really know much about, she just listened, creating her own version of the memory they were discussing. Listening to the details… painting the picture… Cassy was good at that, creating stuff and imagining and drawing. It was about the only thing she was good at. She could come up with a story in a few minutes and start writing, and everyone else were just good at everything, Science… Maths… Everything.
They were so damn lucky having super-brains like they did. Cassy wished she could be all Charles Xavier in exams just to know what Luna and Anna were thinking, suck the cleverness out of their brains. Actually get a good grade.
Ha.
“So, Cassy. Have you decided to agree that I am right and you are wrong?” Anna suggested, a smug grin on her face as Cassy hissed at her, playfully narrowing her eyes and then smiling.
“Nope.”
“Ah damn it. You… you… I’m right!”
“But you’re wrong.”
“That is where you are mistaken, my friend. I am right and I always will be.”
Cassy rolled her eyes and looked over at Luna who sighed and piped in-
“There’s no point Cassy. Anna and I have argued this a thousand times, I’ve won most of them, but there’s really no point.”
Cassy tutted and muttered ‘shoot. So close… So close…”
“No. You really weren’t Cassy.” Anna said, grinning and chuckling as Cassy gave her a death stare.
“I’ll prove I’m right Anna. I really will.” Cassy laughed, and so they argued the rest of the day.
The last few periods droned on, the science teachers babbling about electrons being fundamental particles and how they couldn’t break down any further and everyone sharing their opinions that that theory might not actually be true and blah blah blah. Cassy understood it; she just couldn’t be bothered to care for it at the moment. Not when so much was on her mind (Nothing important. Mostly just fan fiction’s of TV shows and tumblr this and tumblr that). It wasn’t until the end of the day outside the class room that something happened. Something unusual.
Cassy caught a glitch in her peripheral vision, spun around to face it – and saw nothing. She wasn’t quite sure what it was; it was just like a white light zapping down from the ceiling to the floor. It was just a split second thing, she wasn’t even sure that it was actually there and that it had even happened. Maybe all the heat had gotten to her head. That must have been it.
“Something wrong, Cas?” Anna asked, looking concerned as Cassy blinked and everything happened in slow motion. Her question came out more like ‘Sooommeeettthhinngggg wrooonnnggggg Caaassss?”
It didn’t sound human. Something was wrong… very wrong.

“You sure you’re OK?” Anna asked as she helped Cassy down the stairs and out into the school car park.
“Yes, it’s fine,” Cassy whinced, forcing a smile and nodding at the other’s, trying to suggest they should just leave and go home.
They didn’t.
“We’re not leaving! You really don’t seem OK. You look really pale Cassy. Do you feel faint?” Jesse asked, reaching for her bottle of juice, taking the top off and handing it out to her. Cassy grimaced at the drink and collapsed to the floor, feeling sick and as though the world was spinning.
“Bob, go get a teacher! Be quick!” Claudia said, shoving Bob in the direction of a teacher’s room.
Several things started happening, Cassy’s breath shortened, and she began to gasp, she started to jerk uncontrollably and she couldn’t help but firmly grip Anna’s shirt like it was the only thing keeping her going.
“Cas, it’s fine.” Anna said, letting Cassy yank at her blouse as sweat dripped from her forehead.
It felt like hours before Bob came back with a teacher. There was a bit of rushed communication going on between Cassy’s friends and the teacher. Gradually, they helped Cassy to her feet and took her over to a classroom to lie on a table. The world spun for a while, but after a while it stopped spinning, and Cassy slowly sat up and looked over at her friends.
They all looked terrified.
Cassy felt awful. Making them feel that way. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I’m sorry that even happened.”
“Why are you apologising? You did nothing wrong. You can’t help that that happened.” Luna reassured.
“Yes but…”
“But what?” Claudia interrupted. “Don’t be silly, you could have done nothing.”
“Yeah Cas, you should call your mum though. Get her to pick you up. Maybe, not come to school tomorrow?” Bob suggested, showing genuine concern on his pale face.
Cassy contemplated this, then nodded. “I suppose. I don’t know what that was. I’m sorry.”
“You’re just like Luna. Saying sorry all the time.” Claudia laughed.

They all laughed.

Cassy’s dreams weren’t good that night – A hooded figure slashing throats of Florentine guards, running along rooftops and traversing old looking buildings and occasionally, she caught the face of the man. She figured it was a man anyway. His masculine figure and the deadly vibe radiating from him like a venomous snake… slick and at ease, killing appeared to come naturally. He was evolved to kill.
Cassy had respect for the man; she couldn’t deny that. He was so smooth… so at ease… perfect… No fear.
And then she woke up.

It had been unusual. More unusual than the dreams she normally experiences, especially when she doesn’t exactly understand why they happen. Yes she has obsessive moments. But talking about Ezio from Assassins Creed being real wouldn’t have caused all the strange events that happened today. Cassy knew that the dream would most likely have been him. What was happening to her?
Cassy picked up her phone and texted Anna:
I just had a dream about Ezio! But he’s not real, keep that in mind Anna ;D He never was. Ooh, you up to much today? Do you want to go to the park? X

A few moments later…
Ah! He is real! I am right and you are wrong! Muahaha!!! And yeah sure, I’d love to go to park. Two o’clock? X

Paha! And yes, that’s good. See you there ;) x

The sun was bright in the sky and the grass was a beautiful shade of bright green, the blades of grass prickling Cassy’s skin like weak blades as she lay down, talking with Anna under a tall shady tree.
“The dream was just… epic. You know?”
“Yes, I do. I have Ezio dreams all the time.”
“Weird, aren’t we?”
“Yes.”
Cassy and Anna both laughed, and smiled as they talked continuously about Assassins Creed and The Tournament and Ian Somerhalder… the usual stuff.
“Ezio was still real though. You can’t sway me from that.” Anna said matter-of-factly.
“I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. You know, Altair might have been real though. There’s more of a chance of him being real than Mr. Auditorie you know?” Cassy stated, waiting for a clever comeback from Anna.
She didn’t get one.
Frowning, Cassy looked over at Anna. Anna was staring up at something in the sky, deep in concentration and focused on one thing only. Cassy looked up, she saw it too. A glitch.
“I… I saw that… I saw that at school yesterday.” Cassy gasped, shocked to see it again, jaw dropping.
“It’s weird.” Anna said. “It’s like a hole. A hole in the air.”
“Yeah. Kind of.”
The glitch started to mutate, cracks formed around it and suddenly, it became so wide that, when she looked around, Cassy was shocked no one else in the park had noticed it. She looked at the hole again.
It was right in front of her face.
“Oh my god,” She gasped, her voice a mere screech.
“Don’t move,” Anna said.
Cassy blinked. Everything was black.

She woke up in a strange place (Anna was unconscious beside her); they were in some… some courtyard somewhere. There was a rich smell of grass and hay, rusty metal and the sound of a blacksmith working with his metal. Cassy bolted up right and looked over to the noise.
A hooded figure was sat with a sword, sharpening the edges and sparks were flying everywhere. He looked fearful… Like he was some one you shouldn’t mess with.
“Anna,” Cassy hissed, shaking her friend, still staring at the hooded figure.
Anna twitched, mumbled and opened her eyes. It took her a while to realise where she was when she suddenly sat up incredibly fast, mouth shaped into a small ‘o’.
She looked over to where Cassy was looking and gasped quite loudly. The hooded man stopped, stood up at turned to face us.
“Ciao signore, sei sveglio!” He said, approaching us steadily. “Cosa diavolo ti sei messa?”
“I’m sorry, what?” Cassy managed to say, terrified that this man was going to kill them.
His eyes widened. “Ah! Me dispiace! You’re English! Well! Let me just say, if I hadn’t saved you from the middle of the road you’d have been trampled on by that horse and carriage! Did you have a bit of drinking?”
Anna poked Cassy, stared at the man and then Cassy and said, “Cassy! I’ve just realised! That’s frickin’ Ezio Auditorie!”
“What?” Cassy and Ezio both said in reply, both for entirely different reasons. Cassy’s reason was, ‘what the…? ANNA WAS… RIGHT?” And Ezio’s reason was “How on earth do they know my name?”
Cassy and Anna were going to have some explaining to do
'This isn't funny Dean, the voice says i'm almost out of minutes!' - Castiel
~ Nothing is true, everything is permitted... Live by the Creed... Be Discreet...

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:21 am
keren says...

I love the story, it's really great. I have a few nitpicks.
… Another normal day where arguments,

I don't understand what you're saying here. Maybe a typo?
[quote=]He looked fearful…[/quote]
here, I think fearful sounds like he's scared. I would use something like fearsome.
Ok, those are my complaints, I hope you write more to this story!

109 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:53 pm
MysticalBlood says...

i meant if you looked at him you'd be scared of him. I guess it didn't come out right?
Yeah, i think that when a bit weird. Thanks!
~ Nothing is true, everything is permitted... Live by the Creed... Be Discreet...

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:54 am
Kaijudospartan says...

Well, well ,well. Assassin's Creed is a great game, so there's no problem with self inserts.
However, there are a few problems...
Cassy had respect for the man; she couldn’t deny that. He was so smooth… so at ease… perfect… No fear.

Maybe you could try this...
*Cassy was filled with respect for this man. His movements were so fluid... his stance so relaxed... He was the perfect predator. Without fear.*
Of course, that's just my own personal opinion, but the last part of your sentence was a little chunky. It kinda interrupted the flow of the words, ya know?
Also, as keren mentioned above, fearful and fearsome mean different things.
Dictionary defination of fearful: Feeling afraid; showing fear or anxiety.
Dictionary defination of fearsome: Frightening, esp. in appearance.
So yea, watch it.
Other than that, good story. Keep writing.
We are Legion.

109 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 am
MysticalBlood says...

Ah right i see. thanks! I always get them mixed up xD And yeah, that sounds good :D

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:08 am
HeadAssassin says...

Like any other fan girl I'm a sucker for Assassin's Creeds Ezio Auditore. It's a great plot to be sure, some grammatical errors here and there, but I can over look those I only care about the story. I don't really see much character build up for your characters, and to be honest I wanted to kill Anna, she just frustrated me a little. I'm not totally hooked on it I just get the feeling like you rushed through it to get to everything. It's not bad, I'm not saying that at all it's good, but still it doesn't suck me in completely. Great job though.
Assassins Never Die

109 Reviews

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:07 pm
MysticalBlood says...

Meh... thanks anyway.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:27 am
Ghost42 says...

Considering I'm compleatly obssesed with Assassin's Creed, I can only say that I loved it. I spotted a few mistakes which where pointed out in previous responses such as the *fearful* part, I know you don't want to hear about that again so I won't go into it. All the mistakes I spotted have already been pinpointed by others so I'm just gonna leave it at, This is the best thing I have read in a long time, and there was absolutely nothing I didn't like, Wonderful job!
If there is one thing I never go anywhere without, it's my pencil.
Another thing, if schools don't allow wepons, then why do they allow pens? Because, if the pen is mighter than the sword, doesn't that mean the pen is a wepon too?

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content