z

Young Writers Society

Master Zero chapter 1

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:04 am
Haimerej says...

I stand in front of the designated area, evil grin firmly in place. Although no one could see it behind the mask I'm wearing while I'm Zero. "You're sure the final adjustments have been properly done?"

Lakshata stands in front of the controls and poses to look shocked. "Zero, think of who you're talking to."

She was right, of course. I wasn't going to question one of the best scientific minds on whether a machine has been adjusted right. "Her forte is science, while my forte is strategy. She leaves me to what I do best, I'll let her do what she's best at." I thought, brain going at lightning speed so that approximately 0.7 seconds had been spent on those thoughts.

"Of course. I was just wondering." I said staring at the space a bit more. "You're sure there's no way to ensure the type that comes through?" I ask.

"No, there's no way at all. We're just gonna have to cross our fingers and hope we get lucky." Lakeisha answered, staring at the readings from the Hadron Cannons and setting the power to a precise digit. "All necessary requirements have now been met, starting the process now.

I look at the area as the Hadron cannons fire at each other, the beams appearing to get smaller as they reached the epicenter until within a foot of the spot they got so small that the eye couldn't see. I watch as the hole opens up, looking like a kaleidoscope of pure colors, tinting how everything looked. I go over the theory on how it worked in his head. "The Hadron Cannons are using an extra-powerful Geffion disturber so as to confine the particles used into such a small space that they cut through the bonds between dimensions, making a hole in time and space large enough to pull something through. It just needs that extra tug." I think, watching the silver get dumped close to where the kaleidoscope of colors end and wincing. "Enough of the right type of silver placed in a specific point turns silver from an inter-dimensional anchor into an inter-dimensional magnet, pulling objects from other dimensions through a nearby rift and into its own." I finish in my own mind and watch the hole in anticipation. "The moment of truth, were my calculations correct?" I ask myself as nothing appears to happen.

All of a sudden, an alarm started blaring and Lakshata started giving some frantic orders.

"Lakshata, what's going on?"

"Zero, move away from the rift! Hurry!"

She doesn't have to tell me twice, I thought, starting to run in the opposite direction of the hole in time and space. But it was too late. Stuff was already being pulled through the hole, and I was way too close. "I'm not going to make it!" I yelled in his own mind, as I started to feel a tug from behind me, like a child was pulling on my cape, and that tug got gradually stronger as I ran, my feet going slower as gravity from the rift started pulling them from behind. I started feeling the tug with my whole body, and I was lifted into the air and pulled backwards towards the rift.

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain