z

Young Writers Society

Welcoming Freedom Chapter 9

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:31 am
writ3rindisguis3 says...

Here is the 9th chapter to my fan fiction, Welcoming Freedom. Hope you all like! =]
Becca

Chapter 9

A New Beginning

The sky had darkened considerably since the sun glowed into my music room earlier. This was good, because now we could head off to Chicago and not sparkle. Wouldn’t want to cause a traffic accident or anything.

Carlisle pulled around our 1917 Hudson Phaeton car. He always seems to get the newest cars before they are even released in America. It was August of 1916, for God’s sake! That must have cost a pretty penny. Or two.

I was helping pack the back of the car, carrying the very light boxes, compared to me, and cramming them into the small spaces left in the car. Esme was zipping around the house checking one last time to see if we forgot anything. I don’t see how we could since us vampires have super duper remembering skills.

We had hired some humans to drive most of our stuff to the new house. It would have been hard to have everything we needed in this one car. Though Carlisle was buying all the furniture we needed for the house in Chicago, Esme and I still wanted to bring a few things from this house.

Esme had a hard time with the humans being here. She was only three months old, in the vampire sense. Her eyes were beginning to lose their bright red color and turn to a dark maroon. Carlisle and I had to hold her back from biting the helpers. I knew she felt horrible for fighting against us, but a vampire’s got to do what a vampire’s got to do. Well, we couldn’t really let that happen.

She apologized a million times, literally, before she felt truly guilt free. I told her I went through the same thing and that I understood what she was going through. Carlisle had also explained that this was very common for a newborn vampire.

Esme listened to every one of our words. She loves Carlisle and I with all of her heart and she would make sure to listen to everything we told her.

“Everyone ready?!” I heard Carlisle call out, snapping me out of the memory.

Esme breezed out the door and packed one last box into the car.

“Yes.” She said and turned to Carlisle’s smiling face.

“How about you?” My father of sorts asked me.

I nodded my head, glancing around one last time at the mansion that stood before me.

I would miss this fancy, over sized house. Seattle, Washington would always be my favorite place to live. It was my place of birth and first ever city to see. Even though I had some really bad memories, I would still miss it.

I had been in hiding for fifteen years, this was to make sure I would be safe enough around humans and that everyone that knew me here would forget about me. Carlisle also went in hiding with me for a few years, just to rest himself and learn more about medical stuff, things that I have no clue what he talks about all the time.

Now, I was moving out of my home and going out into the world. Should I be happy?

Yes, because I would finally be able to do the things that I wanted to and not have to worry about who was going to stop me. I would finally be able to be myself. To be the woman I had always wanted to be.

Carlisle patted my back and ushered Esme and I into the car. I had to squeeze myself in between overstuffed boxes.

‘This should be a long ride. Joy.’ I thought to myself. Well, if I was as hard as rock, I should be able to be as still as one too. Maybe the ride wouldn’t be so bad…Maybe.

The ominous clouds began to pour down on us as we drove down the long and winding driveway. The rain splattered against the car’s vinyl roof, making ‘plop, plop’ noises.

I stared out the window, seeing nothing as I thought of how far I had come in life. Carlisle and Esme chattered peacefully in the background, leaving me to my thoughts.

The Ohio forests whipped by my window. I could see every rain drop run off the bending leaves. I could spot a baby faun hiding under a canopy of leaves, waiting out the rain. Every one of these things passed through my mind in a fourth of a second, but the images stayed in my head.

The ride to Chicago took ten hours compared to the almost twenty-four hours it would have taken a human. The fastest our car could go was seventy-five miles per hour, the fastest speed a car has ever gone. Minus the gas stops and one very fast hunting trip, mainly for Esme, we got there in record time.

Chicago was a busy town from the looks of it. Cars inched along the streets and people crowded the sidewalks. Many stores lined the streets and people hurried in and out of them. New buildings were being constructed on both sides of the street.

Esme had her hands clutched to the seat. Carlisle apologized for driving through the busiest part of town, but she shrugged it off.

“It’s not your fault, honey. Please don’t blame yourself. I’ll be fine.” She replied, her voice straining.

“How are you doing, Bella?” Carlisle asked.

I turned away from the window.

“I’m fine. No need to worry about me.”

His face turned to look at mine. He searched it for something I wasn’t sure about, then turned back around in the seat.

“Just wanting to make sure.”

“I’m fine, really.” And I turned to continue looking out the window.

We started driving out of Chicago and toward a woodsy area that hadn’t been built up yet. Tall oak trees surrounded the road. They looked as if they were centuries old and had been here before people started building up.

It was sad to know that we, well humans really, tore down trees to make way for our futures and not worry one bit about nature. I know we had to grow because of new inventions and the thousands of cars being built. But still, it is nice to enjoy the beauty around us and take some time off from being busy.

Carlisle drove about three miles out of the town. He pulled off on a dirt road that tangled through the woods. We drove for about a mile until I saw the quaint house.

It was just as charming as I had imagined it. The sun, which had somehow peeped through the clouds, shined down on the white house.

This was probably the worlds’ happiest place on Earth. No one could say that it was ugly or small. It was just right for the three of us.

Carlisle parked the car in a covered carport and I rushed to get out of the car. I felt the cool weather blow against my skin, but I didn’t chill.

I brushed my skirts smooth and stretched my arms above my head. Carlisle looked at my show and rolled his eyes.

“Come on, let’s go inside. I want to show you something.”

He put his arm around both Esme and my shoulders and walked us to the front door of our new house.
[i]

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:06 am
Meep(: says...

I'm done critiquing for the day, so this is just for relaxing reading.
One thing that stood out i my mind while I was reading, was that
Bella's thoughts and speech don't really sound like her. A bit on the immature/childish side.
I don't really know how to describe it, but yeah, I can't relate this so much with the Bella that Meyer created. But this is your story. Bella can be a hamster for all you care :)
But I liked it. Poor Esme!
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:17 am
Night Mistress says...

i hope you update soon. it's getting pretty good.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing