z

Young Writers Society

Rebirth(05)

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:53 am
Night Mistress says...

Chapter 5

My jaw dropped. “What?” I asked in disbelief. Confusion was coursing thru my mind.

“You heard me. You are my successor, Zoey,” Neferet said.

“But…”

“But what? Are you doubting yourself?”

“Yes,” I admitted.

“Don’t. You will be fine. You will have your friends to help you.” I know that she was referring to the twins and Damien. Does that mean that they still go here? I wondered, and then someone else popped into my mind.

“But what about my other friend?” I asked.

“Katherine?” Neferet asked. She saw my shocked face. “Don’t look so surprised. Over the years, I made checks on you because I didn’t want you hurt, not after what I did to you.” I looked at her, realizing for the first time since being here, that she really did care for me.

“All right, I’ll take it, but on one condition,” I said, looking at her.

“Anything,” she said.

“I hire Katherine as a vocal teacher…oh and no more surprises,” I said.

Neferet smiled at me. “Alright, then. I suppose I better introduce you to the professors, then,” she said.

Why? I thought. As I thought about it, I saw what she meant and I grimaced. “Alright,” I whispered, not ready to face the past. We both got up and left the room. We walked together down the hall. She took me first to the gym.

A vampyre was practicing his lunges in fencing; he was dressed completely in white.

“Damien,” Neferet said. Damien turned to us and lifted his mask. He did a double take when he saw me.

“Zoey?” he questioned softly. I nodded. I wasn’t expecting what happened next. He came up and hugged me. I stiffened at first and then relaxed. He pulled back and pushed my hair back from my face.

“You’re alive,” he whispered, “ you’re alive!” he picked me up and spun me around. I squeaked in surprise and then laughed in delight.

“Damien, put her down and go get the others,” Neferet said with a smile. Damien put me down and gave me a kiss on the cheek before running off.

“See, he didn’t hate you,” Neferet said behind me.

“But what about the others?” I asked.

“Find out for yourself.” Just as she finished speaking, Damien came in with a group of five vampyres. They stood in the doorway and stared at me. I began to squirm under the stares.

“Is that…?” one of the twins asked. It was obvious that they didn’t realize it really was I. Someone from the back came forward. It was Erik. I moved my eyes to the ground, still ashamed for what I had done.

“Zoey?” a familiar Okie twang came. I looked up and saw Stevie Rae. She walked closer. She pushed my hair from my eyes and tattoos.

“I would know those markings anywhere,” she said in a breath of awe, “Zoey.” I swallowed, closed my eyes and nodded. I was swept up into her hug. I heard the twins come closer, dragging Jack with them. Stevie Rae released me but left a protective arm over my shoulder. I opened my eyes to find two vampyres giving me a meaningful look. I flinched.

“It really is you, Zoey,” Erin said.

“Yeah, it’s her. She never had the guts to take us on,” Shaunee said with a laugh. They both hugged me at the same time and then Jack joined in. They all stepped aside when Erik came up. I tried to shrink back, but Stevie Rae wouldn’t le me. Erik took a hold of my hand and brushed a kiss across the top. I blushed like a teenager.

“It’s good to see you, Zoey,” Erik said as he let go of my hand.

“Oh, come on. You want to do more than that,” Erin said as she nudged Erik. Neferet noticed that I was quickly getting uncomfortable.

“I think that is a enough for tonight. I think it is time for you all to retire,” Neferet said, talking to us as if we were a bunch of school kids.

“Alright,” everyone chimed.

“If you like, Neferet, I could take Zoey back to the priestess’s loft,” Erik said. Neferet looked at me and I shrugged with my best attempt at nonchalance.

“Alright,” Neferet said.

“Well, night Zoey. It’s good to have you back,” Stevie Rae, said.

“Yeah,” the twins and jack chimed.

“We’ll talk tomorrow,” Damien said.

“Came and see me first thing, tomorrow,” Neferet said. She and the others left, leaving Erik and myself alone.

“Shall we, milady?” Erik said as he bowed. He offered me his arm and I took it. Together, we walked to the temple.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot