Young Writers Society

Rebirth(04)

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:20 pm
Night Mistress says...

Chapter 4

Dream state

“My dear daughter, you have returned,” a voice said behind me. I turned around and saw a beautiful young woman standing behind me.

“Nyx,” I breathed.

“You will meet someone who you thought you had lost,” she said cryptically. She circled me for a moment then came closer. “You have grown into a beautiful woman, Zoey. Don’t fight, just let go.”

“What?” I asked. She kissed my forehead and vanished. “Wait!” I cried as I searched for any sign she may have left.

Real world

I woke and sat up. What did she mean? I thought as someone knocked at the door.

“In a minute!” I called. I slipped on the t-shirt and blank pants that I had worn earlier. I walked to the door and opened it to find a shock that nearly stopped my heart. He was as handsome as when I met him 30 years ago.

“May I help you?” I asked trying to act as if I didn’t know him.

“So it’s true,” he whispered as he reached out to touch me. His fingers brushed my cheek. “ Zoey,” he breathed, “I thought you were dead after Nefert told us you disappeared.”

I licked my lips. His eyes drifted to my mouth and followed the tip of my tongue. “I don’t…go by Zoey anymore. Not after what happened,” I said, looking down. His fingers stilled on my cheek and then vanished.

“What’s the point of not calling yourself Zoey anymore? Are you afraid that your friend…I will never forgive you?” He asked.

I nodded. “What right do I have to that?” I asked, “After what I’ve done.” Someone cleared his throat. Erik and I looked down and saw the warrior on the stairs.

“Nefert will see you now. If you you’ll follow me,” the warrior announced. I started to follow him, but I felt a grip on my shoulder.

“Zoey, we will talk later,” Erik said, before letting me go. I followed the warrior to Nefert’s office. He knocked on the door.

“Show her in,” Nefert called. The warrior opened the door and I went in; the door shutting behind me. Alone in the room with Nefert, I took a seat in the chair in front of her desk. She looked up from her paperwork and studied my face.

“You seem sad…I take it Erik found you,” she asked as she set down her pen and laced her fingers together. I nodded.

“What is he doing here?” I asked.

“What do you think, Zoey? He teaches here now, and to my surprise, he is the poet teacher as well as the drama teacher. You think, after what happened with Laren, Erik would never be interested in poetry again, but here he is,” she said with a smile.

I slapped my hand on the desk. “I didn’t come here to talk about the past. Either you tell me what you want with me or I’m going home,” I threatened. Nefert gazed silently at me for a moment before responding.

“You are going to have to get used to seeing Erik on a daily basis among other things,” she said as she watched me, her former fledging.

“Why?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Because you are now the high priestess of Nyx.” She said.

End of chapter 4.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.
— Bishop Desmond Tutu