z

Young Writers Society

The ghost of Ashenvale

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:40 pm
Runelord says...

This is a book about a hunter in World of Warcraft. Yes I know there are better things to write about, but please read it first then tell me what you think.

Chapter 1:
Beginnings

I wasn’t borne in the city; I drew my first breath in what is now the scorched groove, but what was then the most beautiful part of Eversong. Soon after my birth my parents were eaten by a starving lynx that was in the area, it would have eaten me if old Whitebark hadn’t been passing. He slew the lynx, but was too late to save my parents.
I spent the first few months of my life among the trees, learning from them caring for them. They taught me many things like how to speak to the wild; soon the tenders who cared for the forest began to call me Foreststrider and taught me how to read and write High Elven. In that respect I was perhaps as knowledgeable as the highest archmage in Silvermoon. But nearing my first birthday I felt the need for something more. When I conveyed this to Whitebark he said that I missed the company of my own people.

So it was that on my first birthday I was “found” by a chilled less couple who fancied a walk in the woods. As soon as I arrived in Silvermoon I was sent off to the mages academy where I was taught how to control my magic. It was all very interesting, but I was bored. All of the students there where lawful, but I was chaotic at heart. I could not cope with the number of restrictions.
One day during a particularly boring lesson on the proper use of frost magic I hit my teacher with an arcane torrent and scarperd. I ran out just in time to see an army of undead decimating my birthplace. Despite my two years of age –and my teacher’s remarks-, I was not stupid. I rushed to a sheltered place far from the capital, even though I couldn’t see anything, I could still hear the screams that haunt me to this day. Women and children, pleading for mercy while Arthas slaughtered them.
I went back to Silvermoon a long time after the triumphant roars of the undead had faded into the distance. Most of the building where already razed to the ground, those that still stood upright were surrounded by pallid creatures with wispy hair and evil black eyes. In other words what I saw there the first of the Wretched; more would join them after the others felt the full tragedy of what had happened. The greatest blow to the now Blood Elves: the destruction of the Sunwell.
Unlike the rest of my race I was not as affected. I had learned at a very young age how to absorb mana from magic users.
I didn’t do much during our exile in outland, but unlike the rest of the Blood Elves I did not await Kael’thas’s return wit the eager anticipation. He was no fool, but he was Blood Drunk and power hungry – a dangerous combination. Even so the fact that the humans do no tolerate us makes my blood boil. They have no sense of honour, fraternising with an “enemy” who offered us help bah. I’m glad that scumbag got what he deserved.
Anyway once we got back to what had once been our homeland we found it overrun with undead and trolls trying to reclaim there lands, not to mention the manawyrm infestation. Those of us who could fight where each given a task that suited our level; thus the less experienced took on the lesser challenges while the more experienced cleared out the undead and rebuilt Silvermoon as best they could without the Sunwell. My talents as a hunter were quickly picked up on and I was soon given a bow and a dagger and told to “help in anyway I could”. I quickly rose through the ranks and I was given the opportunity to learn how to tame a beast. It was easy I had found an abandoned Dragonhawk and took him under my wing. He was wary at first, but once I got him to accept food from me trust was more easily established, soon we where inseparable.
My reputation with Silvermoon had grown too, and soon it was decided that I should go prove my worth elsewhere.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:51 pm
gamechanger10 says...

I wasn’t borne in the city; I drew my first breath in what is now the scorched groove,i think you mean grove but what was then the most beautiful part of Eversong. Soon after my birth my parents were eaten by a starving lynx that was in the area,i might just be a mean person but i think this is really funny it would have eaten me if old Whitebark hadn’t been passing. He slew the word slew sounds awkward...it's probably just me, though.the lynx, but was too late to save my parents.

I spent the first few months of my life among the treesthe first months of your life? isn't that a bit young? to care for 'trees' i mean. wait, i'm writing this as i go...this is a person, right?, learning from them caring for them. They taught me many things like how to speak to the wild; soon the tenders who cared for the forest began to call me Foreststrider and taught me how to read and write High Elven. In that respect I was perhaps as knowledgeable as the highest archmage in Silvermoon. ok, whats the difference between silvermoon and eversong? and how did he get there? is silvermoon in eversong?But nearing my first birthday I felt the need for something more. When I conveyed this to Whitebark he said that I missed the company of my own people. who's this whitebark guy? isn't he your species, or religion, or whatever your 'people' are? did you ever know your people?

So it was that on my first birthday I was “found” by a chilled less couple a chilled less couple?...i think i may be misinterpreting thiswho fancied a walk in the woods. As soon as I arrived in Silvermoonoh, ok, you weren't in silvermoon before... I was sent off to the mages academy capitalize where I was taught how to control my magic.since when was this dude magic? It was all very interesting, but I was bored. this statement sounds...younger...than the rest of the piece...if that makes sense...All of the students there where lawful, but I was chaotic at heart. I could not cope with the number of restrictions.

One day during a particularly boring use a word other than boring lesson on the proper use of frost magiccomma I hit my teacher with an arcane torrent and scarperdwhat?. I ran out just in time to see an army of undead decimating my birthplace.you were in school when undead people were attacking? Despite my two years of age –and my teacher’s remarks-, I was not stupid. I rushed to a sheltered place far from the capital, even though I couldn’t see anything, I could still hear the screams that haunt me to this day. Women and children, pleading for mercy while Arthas what are Arthas? slaughtered them.

I went back to Silvermoon a long time after the triumphant roars of the undead had faded into the distance. Most of the buildings wherewere already razed to the ground, those that still stood upright were surrounded by pallid creatures with wispy hair and evil black eyes. In other words what I saw there the first of the Wretched; more would join them after the others felt the full tragedy of what had happened. The greatest blow to the now Blood Elves: the destruction of the Sunwell. since when were they in 'sunwell'? i'm so confused...

Unlike the rest of my race I was not as affected. I had learned at a very young age how to absorb mana mana? whats that? maybe i'm just being dumb, but isn't that flat bread or something? from magic users.

I didn’t do much during our exile in outland, but unlike the rest of the Blood Elves I did not await Kael’thas’s whos he/she? return with the eager anticipation. He was no fool, but he was Blood Drunkwhy'd you capitalize? and power hungry – a dangerous combination. Even so the fact that the humans do no tolerate us makes my blood boil. They have no sense of honour, fraternising with an “enemy” who offered us help bah.bah? seriously? I’m glad that scumbag who? is bah a person? i guess it is... got what he deserved. bah? i'm still confused.

Anyway once we got back to what had once been our homeland wait, whos 'we'...where were you...exile? right? we found it overrun with undead and trolls trying to reclaim theretheir lands, not to mention the manawyrmmanawyrm? i still don't know what mana is... infestation. Those of us who could fight where each given a task that suited our level; thus the less experienced took on the lesser challenges really? i never would've guessed while the more experienced cleared out the undead and rebuilt Silvermoon as best they could without the Sunwell.wait...is sunwell a group of people or something? My talents as a hunter were quickly picked up on and I was soon given a bow and a dagger and told to “help in anyway I could”. I quickly rose through the ranks and I was given the opportunity to learn how to tame a beast. It was easy I had found an abandoned Dragonhawk and took him under my wing. He was wary at first, but once I got him to accept food from me trust was more easily established, soon we where inseparable.

My reputation with Silvermoon had grown too, and soon it was decided that I should go prove my worth elsewhere.

alright, so this needs some work, i probably missed a lot of gramatical stuff, but, oh well.

sorry, but i was confused for most of this. it might just have been me, i don't know, but it made virtually no sense...unless your the author, i guess...

this might not have helped much...
keep writing!

-GC10
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

23 Reviews

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:29 pm
Runelord says...

Thanks for the review you have obviously never played WoW (World of Warcraft) before I'll definitely re look at my work and keep posting the rest of the book. I didn't describe much because it's all in the game. Anyway I've only just started to write, but I'll bare your remarks in mind for the future. Thanks again oh by the way I'm a (High) Blood elf sorry I probably should have included it in the story, but if you've played WoW before you'll know this. & no, manna is a flat-bread mana is magical power.
Go to www.wowwiki.com and type in the words you dont understand. :)

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:51 pm
gamechanger10 says...

oh...okay...yeah....i had no idea what you were talking about before.

i get it now...suddenly, i think the piece is better...

-GC10
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:56 am
Clo says...

If this is based off "World of Warcraft" then this should be in the fan-fiction forum.

I'm not sure how to flag a moderator. :oops:
How am I not myself?

23 Reviews

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am
Runelord says...

Good point clograbby, but if Iwas totally true to WoW the story would be boring it could be in both seeing as this is only the beginning wait for the rest I'm already on the fifth chapter, but I wanted to see how the first one would be treated
Speling mestackes ink.

Flowing scribble

Guns don't kill people, people kill people... And monkeys do (if they have a gun)- Eddie Izzard

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:40 pm
~Volant~ says...

Warning; I'm not usually a very nice reviewer...haha. I'm also a major grammar nazi. Just thought I'd warn you.

Anyway:

Runelord wrote:I wasn’t borne in the city; I drew my first breath in what is now the scorched groove, but what was then the most beautiful part of Eversong.

Brilliant beginning. Pulls me in, gives me a sense of "danger," and makes me want to read more.

Runelord wrote:Soon after my birth my parents were eaten by a starving lynx that was in the area, it would have eaten me if old Whitebark hadn’t been passing. He slew the lynx, but was too late to save my parents.

This, though, wasn't the best sentance to follow. I don't like how, randomly, you say, "Yeah, um, my parents were eaten by a big cat. Couldn't save them." I'm exagerating, but it just sounded a bit ridiculous to me. Introduce it to us a bit more slowly if you like the idea, because being hit in the face with it just makes me doubt. And you don't want your readers to doubt. haha.

Also, that red comma is a comma splice. Haha. Use some other form of punctuation that's strong enough to hold two complete ideas.

Runelord wrote:I spent the first few months of my life among the trees, learning from them caring for them. They taught me many things like how to speak to the wild; soon the tenders who cared for the forest began to call me Foreststrider and taught me how to read and write High Elven. In that respect I was perhaps as knowledgeable as the highest archmage in Silvermoon.

My thoughts: "Cool, cool. I like this. Makes sense."

Runelord wrote:But nearing my first birthday I felt the need for something more. When I conveyed this to Whitebark he said that I missed the company of my own people.

My thoughts: "His first birthday?!?! WTF!!!

I'm confused. You're telling me that he was under one year old when he learned to speak, to care for other things, and how to read and write in a different language. Clarify to your reader that this is "one freak of a child" before slamming us with this.

(It could just be that I don't know anything about World of Warcraft. Haha.)

Runelord wrote:So it was that on my first birthday I was “found” by a chilled less couple who fancied a walk in the woods.

A mite confused here, mate. Do you mean "Childless?" or "Chilled?"

Runelord wrote:One day during a particularly boring lesson on the proper use of frost magic I hit my teacher with an arcane torrent and scarperd. I ran out just in time to see an army of undead decimating my birthplace. Despite my two years of age –and my teacher’s remarks-, I was not stupid. I rushed to a sheltered place far from the capital, even though I couldn’t see anything, I could still hear the screams that haunt me to this day. Women and children, pleading for mercy while Arthas slaughtered them.

I went back to Silvermoon a long time after the triumphant roars of the undead had faded into the distance. Most of the building where already razed to the ground, those that still stood upright were surrounded by pallid creatures with wispy hair and evil black eyes. In other words what I saw there the first of the Wretched; more would join them after the others felt the full tragedy of what had happened. The greatest blow to the now Blood Elves: the destruction of the Sunwell.

First off, that little red comma up there needs to be before the break.

Second on, way, way too fast. Make me feel. Right now, I don't care that your birthplace was burned to the ground. I don't care that women and children were murdered while they screamed. I don't care that Sunwell was destroyed. But I should. Slow it down, describe it to us. Show one particular disturbing scene about some victims, so that I can feel that these are real people dying and screaming. Even if they're secondary characters, make them flesh and blood. Right now, they're just cardboard cutouts.

Runelord wrote:I didn’t do much during our exile in outland, but unlike the rest of the Blood Elves I did not await Kael’thas’s return with the eager anticipation.

Haha 'ware of the grammar nazi. Lol. Sorry.

Runelord wrote: Even so the fact that the humans do no tolerate us makes my blood boil.

Ah. So he's not human. That explains the little age issue at the beginning. Now it makes sense. But it may be too late for some of your readers.

Runelord wrote:They have no sense of honour, fraternising with an “enemy” who offered us help. [s]b[/s]Bah. I’m glad that scumbag got what he deserved.

Anyway, once we got back to what had once been our homeland, we found it overrun with undead and trolls trying to reclaim [s]there[/s] their lands, not to mention the manawyrm infestation. Those of us who could fight [s]where[/s] were each given a task that suited our level; thus the less experienced took on the lesser challenges while the more experienced cleared out the undead and rebuilt Silvermoon as best they could without the Sunwell. My talents as a hunter were quickly picked up on and I was soon given a bow and a dagger and told to “help in anyway I could”. I quickly rose through the ranks and I was given the opportunity to learn how to tame a beast. It was easy; I had found an abandoned Dragonhawk and took him under my wing. He was wary at first, but once I got him to accept food from me, trust was more easily established, soon we [s]where[/s] were inseparable.

GRAMMAR NAZI!!!! Haha. Sorry. Oh, and btw, that little green comma up there is another comma splice. (I'm especially touchy with commas, so sorry about that, mate. lol.)

Overall, I liked the idea. The story's fun, and it has my attention. But your MC isn't all that developed (I don't even know what race he is...). This entire piece sounds like a monologue, like we've already been through many, many chapters of your story, and this is a character your MC met on his journey, and he's telling this person his past. It doesn't seem like a book. This entire thing should be, like, fifteen chapters.

PM me if you have any questions about this!

~Vee
Where are we going?

23 Reviews

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:55 pm
Runelord says...

Well that is the longest revew i've eva seen lol still I'll edit this soon, but have you played World of Warcraft befor? If not then go to www.wowwiki.com and type in Blood Elves that should explain everything, but still i will edit it seeing as I want more people to read my book and hope to publish it when I'm done. I think you'll find the second chapter is better

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:32 am
gryffgotgame says...

I thought I'd review some of your work since you've given me some awesome reviews. All in all, I LOVED it, but that's because I know the game and what you're talking about. That is the exact emotion a hunter conveys! Very laid back and I can beat you down any day attitude=so appealing. Besides that, I think the grammar nazis have done their job well=)

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda