z

Young Writers Society

Westrion's Rider(03)

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 pm
Night Mistress says...

Chapter 3

Zachary and Estora walked the castle gardens. A pair of Weapons followed, not too far behind them.

“My dear, would you care to sit down?” he asked.

“Yes, I would,” she said. He led her to a bench, and they both sat down. A few moments of silence slipped by before Zachary spoke.

“Estora, I’m grateful for you telling me about your affair with F’ryan. Because of this honesty, I will be honest with you. This marriage…I don’t want it,” Zachary said as he placed his forearms on top of his knees.

“I know, my lord,” Estora responded with a smile, “I have known for quite some time that you don’t want this marriage.”

“Do you also know that I’m in love with someone else?” Zachary said.

“With Karigan,” Estora said slowly, “I have seen the way you act around her, like you don’t have the cares of the world on your shoulders and I have seen her when she was with you before our betrothal. She has become distant with me of late because she knows it is for the good of the kingdom.”

“I know, and now…” he trailed off. Estora put her hand on top of his and gripped it.

“Karigan’s strong. She will make it,” she said, “I have some news to tell you--” Just then a mender came in, sadness seeping into his peaceful moments.

“Majesty, Milady,” he bowed, “Sir Karigan is…”

“Sir Karigan is what?” Zachary asked as he stood. The mender seemed hesitated to tell him. “Tell me now, before I have you taken away.”

“Sir Karigan is dead,” the mender blurted out before the king could carry out his threat. Estora let out a gasp and brought a hand to her mouth. Zachary became ashen-faced and collapsed to the bench. His eyes became glass-over with tears, but he refuse to shed any. He had to be strong now…for her.

“Have a message dispatched to Captain Mapstone and to Chief G’ladheon,” Zachary said hoarsely.

“Yes, Sire,” the mender said and bowed before leaving Zachary and Estora to grieve over their lost friend.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites